Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

How long does it usually take for a first time gun license to be approved?

  • 07-06-2019 7:31pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Howya guys,


    Question in the title, its my first application for a 5.56 or .223 bolt action.


    And will they send someone out to check the gun safe(what are the chances of it)? I live way out in the countryside so theres a very low chance of my house being burgled and I'd prefer not having a garda come into my house if atall possible :D


    Thanks in advance!


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭ meathstevie


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Howya guys,


    Question in the title, its my first application for a 5.56 or .223 bolt action.


    And will they send someone out to check the gun safe(what are the chances of it)? I live way out in the countryside so theres a very low chance of my house being burgled and I'd prefer not having a garda come into my house if atall possible :D


    Thanks in advance!

    Entirely dependent on how quick your local district moves. In some district it can be as quick as two or three weeks, in other districts it can be several months.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭ tac foley


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Howya guys,


    Question in the title, its my first application for a 5.56 or .223 bolt action.


    And will they send someone out to check the gun safe(what are the chances of it)? I live way out in the countryside so theres a very low chance of my house being burgled and I'd prefer not having a garda come into my house if atall possible :D

    Never going to happen for a rifle. Especially for a first application.

    Live with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    tac foley wrote: »
    Never going to happen for a rifle. Especially for a first application.

    Live with it.


    Which is never going to happen? The gardai coming for a cup of tea and a biscuit, or the license itself :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Which is never going to happen? The gardai coming for a cup of tea and a biscuit, or the license itself :D

    They won't come out to check it. But you should have everything in order anyway. Safe securely fixed to a wall or floor etc


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Question in the title, its my first application for a 5.56 or .223 bolt action.
    Just a little tip, never use 5.56 in a 223 rifle. They are not the same cartridge.
    And will they send someone out to check the gun safe(what are the chances of it)?
    No one can answer that correctly. It's at the Super's discretion so you may get a visit or you may not.
    I live way out in the countryside so theres a very low chance of my house being burgled
    Statistically you're at higher risk as isolation provides a quiet place and little to no traffic to disturb a wood-be burglar.
    and I'd prefer not having a garda come into my house if atall possible :D
    Then i'd advise avoiding being a gun owner.

    It might not happen when you apply, but chances are you will get a visit at some point in your shooting life and shooting as a sport is not the thing to be in if you want to avoid An Gardaí as they are an intricate part of the life style.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    They won't come out to check it. But you should have everything in order anyway. Safe securely fixed to a wall or floor etc


    Don't worry my post made me sound like a complete tool and I apologize for any loss of brain cells :D But yes its very very secure (Back of a cabinet, steel backplated to whats essentially an RSJ just for reinforcement in the house)


    To Cass, you an fire 223 out of a 5.56 chambered firearm but not the otherway around i believe ;)


    I and some others just have this sort of stigma around the gardaí that they're always trying to find something to do you for but it's obviously not the case ;)


    But thank you very much for the replies!


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    To Cass, you an fire 223 out of a 5.56 chambered firearm but not the otherway around i believe ;)
    Correct.

    The 5.56 is usually made to NATO spec (its why it's called a NATO round) and is usually "hotter" than your standard 223 round and as such it has much higher pressure than the 223.

    There are other, subtle, differences. The 5,56 has a slightly different shoulder to the 223, and the freebore or leade on a 5.56 rifle is usally a little more than a 223 rifle.

    What that all means. A 5.56 round in a 223 rifle would produce about 15,000 psi more than a 223 round. The round is "longer" than the 223 and hence the free bore is lessened which can increase pressure, and because the case (of 5.56) has not the room to expand properly in a 223 all this can lead to catastrophic failure of the rifle. Best case, and by best i mean non life threatening, is the case gets stuck in your barrel, but as a rule it's best to just not shoot them (5.56) in a 223 rifle).

    In the reverses (223 in a 5.56) its all the opposite. The 223 has loads of free bore, less pressure, more room to expand, etc. Meaning the 223 can be safely fired from any 5.56 rifle. The only issue is most 5.56 rifles are fast twist rate which are designed to fire a very specific bullet (usually 62-64gr with the occasional 77gr thrown in) and so anything other than these bullets will result in poor performance.
    I and some others just have this sort of stigma around the gardaí that they're always trying to find something to do you for but it's obviously not the case ;)
    We give out about AGS on this forum, we slag them, and it can be frustrating dealing with them considering the attitudes of some members of the force however i don't think i've ever seen or read anyone be outright disrespectful or condemning of them. We know they have a job to do and we know we must work with them.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cookimonster


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    .....To Cass, you an fire 223 out of a 5.56 chambered firearm but not the otherway around i believe ;).....

    A good explanation here:

    https://youtu.be/70unU8ntKO4


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ Nobelium


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    I'd prefer not having a garda come into my house if atall possible :D

    why ? . . and you want a gun ??


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Out of interest, do AGS just call to your house or will they give you notice? I'd want to have the place hoovered and tidied at least :D


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    A good explanation here:

    https://youtu.be/70unU8ntKO4

    At 7:13

    "Read your instructions, DON'T just read the crap you hear online".

    Coming from a man doing an ONLINE video. :D

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    Out of interest, do AGS just call to your house or will they give you notice?
    Every time they have called, and by they i mean the CPO (one guy) i've got advanced notice. Usually only a few hours, but once a days notice.
    I'd want to have the place hoovered and tidied at least :D
    I have a "natural" early warning system if anyone comes to the gates:


    6034073

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Cass wrote: »
    Every time they have called, and by they i mean the CPO (one guy) i've got advanced notice. Usually only a few hours, but once a days notice.

    I have a "natural" early warning system if anyone comes to the gates:


    6034073


    hahaha they look they're about to drop a serious hiphop album


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Would it be appropriate for me to call into the station to check on the progress of the application? I didn't get my PULSE receipt in the mail or anything and it has been quite a while.


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Would it be appropriate for me to call into the station to check on the progress of the application? I didn't get my PULSE receipt in the mail or anything and it has been quite a while.

    There's no harm. I'm always chasing up with them and I have never received a receipt letter either. Seems pretty random as to whether you'll get one or not.

    How long ago did you drop in the FCA1? Have you met the FO in the station?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cass


    Don't forget we are now in "holiday season". That combined with June to Sept being the busy period for renewals means waiting times may increase.

    So by all means stay on top of your application, but allow a little more time and if its within the three month time frame they still have time left to process it.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - RFDs - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads


    If you see a problem post use the report post function, "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.


    Your Shooting Forum Moderators - Cass, Cookimonster, Vegeta, Sparks, It wasn't me!



  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    There's no harm. I'm always chasing up with them and I have never received a receipt letter either. Seems pretty random as to whether you'll get one or not.

    How long ago did you drop in the FCA1? Have you met the FO in the station?


    Little over a month ago and yeah the FO went over the entire application with me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Little over a month ago and yeah the FO went over the entire application with me.

    Unfortunately, that's not quite a while. They have up to 3 months. Probably won't take that long but there's no way of telling how long it will take beyond speculation and conjecture. Best thing is to just try and forget about it til the letter comes through the letterbox. Trust me; I nearly drove myself mad trying to find out how long things take and sending emails to the FO whose stock response was "it's still with the Super"


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Unfortunately, that's not quite a while. They have up to 3 months. Probably won't take that long but there's no way of telling how long it will take beyond speculation and conjecture. Best thing is to just try and forget about it til the letter comes through the letterbox. Trust me; I nearly drove myself mad trying to find out how long things take and sending emails to the FO whose stock response was "it's still with the Super"




    I suppose the fact that they havent called my referees yet probably isnt a good sign :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that they havent called my referees yet probably isnt a good sign :(

    Sometimes they don't call your referees at all


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Sometimes they don't call your referees at all


    You'd imagine they would 100% call them just to make sure you're not a complete nutcase or maybe they make that judgement when they see you in the station;)

    I saw a post earlier that said for someone to just apply for the 'normal amount' of ammunition of 1000 rounds i think. I put down 300 on my application and the FO said, and I quote "Jesus christ are ya planning on carrying out a mass shooting" :D Scribbled it out and threw down 150 he was satisfied with that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ solarwinds


    So he altered your application. I would stick to my guns if you want 300 ask for it and if you have a good enough reason you should get it and if not get them to tell you why.


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    You'd imagine they would 100% call them just to make sure you're not a complete nutcase or maybe they make that judgement when they see you in the station;)

    I saw a post earlier that said for someone to just apply for the 'normal amount' of ammunition of 1000 rounds i think. I put down 300 on my application and the FO said, and I quote "Jesus christ are ya planning on carrying out a mass shooting" :D Scribbled it out and threw down 150 he was satisfied with that.

    Did the FO really make that comment? That's incredibly inappropriate if so. 300 rounds is not a lot. At all.

    And regarding referees, yeah I'm not sure what the exact protocol is, but you're probably right in that they can make a judgement call on that based on meeting you. A character reference is never going to give you a bad reference regardless.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Did the FO really make that comment? That's incredibly inappropriate if so. 300 rounds is not a lot. At all.

    And regarding referees, yeah I'm not sure what the exact protocol is, but you're probably right in that they can make a judgement call on that based on meeting you. A character reference is never going to give you a bad reference regardless.




    He did indeed but there was a sort of lightheartedness behind it so I wouldn't worry about it. That's exactly what I thought because aren't shell casings classified as ammunition as well because with the rest of the tools and ingredients you can reload your own bullets?


    :D thinking of them judging you in their own mind ort of reminds me of this certain video https://youtu.be/kpZbaz3Wlfw?t=87


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ JohnFitz2332


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    He did indeed but there was a sort of lightheartedness behind it so I wouldn't worry about it. That's exactly what I thought because aren't shell casings classified as ammunition as well because with the rest of the tools and ingredients you can reload your own bullets?


    :D thinking of them judging you in their own mind ort of reminds me of this certain video https://youtu.be/kpZbaz3Wlfw?t=87

    Spent cartridges are indeed classed as ammunition. It should be mandatory for every FO and Super to spend one day on a range firing a 22 and another day clay shooting so they can see how quickly you get through ammo. Also they'd quickly see how class it is and stop being gowls about granting licenses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Spent cartridges are indeed classed as ammunition. It should be mandatory for every FO and Super to spend one day on a range firing a 22 and another day clay shooting so they can see how quickly you get through ammo. Also they'd quickly see how class it is and stop being gowls about granting licenses.


    A lot of them actually have some 'Blue Card' authorization or whatever that allows them to sign weapons out from the station armoury if theres no actual armed gardai in a big emergency i believe, but AGS started to take them away because they gardai with them weren't able to do the firearm qualification test (The one where they check your yearly or monthly competence with a firearm) AFAIK.

    You ever experienced the dangers of cut shells?:mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭ The Bishop Basher


    I’ve had / have multiple licenses for pistols, shotguns and rifles and never had a visit from the Guards.

    Like OP I wouldn’t want one either. Not for any reason other then I don’t particularly want anyone going through my stuff.

    That’s said, we’re blessed with a decent FO who’s efficient and knows his stuff so there's never any messing around.

    Don’t think I’ve ever waited longer then a couple of weeks for the approval to come through.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Rennaws wrote: »
    I’ve had / have multiple licenses for pistols, shotguns and rifles and never had a visit from the Guards.

    Like OP I wouldn’t want one either. Not for any reason other then I don’t particularly want anyone going through my stuff.

    That’s said, we’re blessed with a decent FO who’s efficient and knows his stuff so there's never any messing around.

    Don’t think I’ve ever waited longer then a couple of weeks for the approval to come through.


    Did you get any PULSE receipts in the post?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭ The Bishop Basher


    Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    Did you get any PULSE receipts in the post?

    No.

    I just drop down with the forms and usually receive an approval notice in the post within a week or 2. Then I pay down the PO and have the license in hand within another week or so.

    Never had any hassle but like I say, the FO is a shooter himself so he knows his stuff and is on the ball.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Mr. Speedy


    Rennaws wrote: »
    No.

    I just drop down with the forms and usually receive an approval notice in the post within a week or 2. Then I pay down the PO and have the license in hand within another week or so.

    Never had any hassle but like I say, the FO is a shooter himself so he knows his stuff and is on the ball.

    Ahh but wouldn't it be many times quicker if they already have you on the system?


Advertisement