Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long does it usually take for a first time gun license to be approved?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr. Speedy

The .223 is not deer legal in this country.

Exactly what I was implying ;)
    When you say PULSE receipt, do you mean the letter sent out by the District HQ acknowledging your application and saying it is being processed. If so then this 'receipt' is standard practice if not a bit redundant when it arrives days before, with or after your grant letter. It's news to me that it would imply any potential issue with your application. To me its the other way around, not receiving one would get my alarm bells ringing.
    To be honest for a first time application you haven't even begin the waiting process. Some lads here will tell you they get theirs processed as fast as the post can deliver the paperwork others wait well beyond the recommended time line. My average wait is three weeks, before that the incompetent Guard handling the paperwork for an painful couple of years regularly let everything lapse, go missing etc etc, thank the Sweet Jesus he's moved on.

I mean the letter acknowledging that they have my credentials on the PULSE system and that it is being processed yes. The FO quite literally said if you receive these it more often than not means that there is a problem with your application.
    Sure look its nothing to worry about i mean its not like the foxes are killing my lambs or anything......

But thank you all for your replies, these discussions are very thought provoking and entertaining!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    The FO quite literally said if you receive these it more often than not means that there is a problem with your application.
    Wrong.

Look the best thing you can do is ignore this guy. He is either ignorant or purposely leading you astray.

The receipt is an acknowledgement your application was received. Its meant to be sent out to you when you submit the application, but as i've explained before it only gets sent out when your details are entered onto PULSE and that only happens when the application is processed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr. Speedy

Cass wrote: »
    Wrong.

Look the best thing you can do is ignore this guy. He is either ignorant or purposely leading you astray.

The receipt is an acknowledgement your application was received. Its meant to be sent out to you when you submit the application, but as i've explained before it only gets sent out when your details are entered onto PULSE and that only happens when the application is processed.

Thats perfect so! Thanks a million Cass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Cass wrote: »
    Wrong.

I never got one. For either license...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That happens to as i said earlier in the thread, however the receiving of the receipt NEVER indicates a problem. EVER.

The fact a Garda responsible for processing firearm license applications tells someone that if they receive a receipt letter that its a problem is ignorant to how the process works, and dangerously ill informed. This ignorance is only highlighted by the fact he took the OPs application, and i don't give a Rat's ass if the OP ceded to this change, and changed the amount the OP applied for. Sure while he is at it why not change the caliber or make of the rifle because he feels the OP shouldn't have the one he wants t apply for?

Do you see the danger in this. It's also not just an opinion its happening "off paper". By that i mean people are being told at the desk by whomever is there or later on the phone by the Sergeant or other Garda dealing with firearms that such and such will not work and they are going to change the details. It's vitality important that people realise if anything is done "off paper" then there is no trail and hence no ability to appeal.

If the OP wanted 300 he should have applied for 300. Had it not been granted the minimum he would have got would be 100. Instead he has now applied for 150 and may not even get that. I understand it takes time to build up, but if you follow the guides we set out in the important information thread on how to validate a higher allowance and have a genuine need there is no reason not to get it. Remember the Commissioner's guidelines are a useful tool for both sides of the aisle and while they address matters of law the narrative is a best practice implementation of the law, and the guidelines themselves are NOT law. So the amounts set out in the Commissioner's guidelines are not legally binding.

This attitude of "i don't want to piss anyone off" is useful to bear in mind as it's always better to have a good working relationship with AGS, but it is also a step back and weakening in position for shooters. We don't have to have AGS as friends only that they do their job. If AGS members don't want to be arsed with Firearms, applications, etc. then take the rest of it off them (as the fees were) and create a centralised centre with Garda oversight and civilian staff to do it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Mr. Speedy wrote: »
    You'd imagine they would 100% call them just to make sure you're not a complete nutcase or maybe they make that judgement when they see you in the station;)

I saw a post earlier that said for someone to just apply for the 'normal amount' of ammunition of 1000 rounds i think. I put down 300 on my application and the FO said, and I quote "Jesus christ are ya planning on carrying out a mass shooting" :D Scribbled it out and threw down 150 he was satisfied with that.

I had 525 rounds (bulk value pack) and he changed it to 550!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sometimes they don't call your referees at all

Not that uncommon at all that they're not contacted at all if you're generally known as a good egg, especially in a small rural locality where the local Gardai know the local lay of the land fairly well.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    On the subject of ammo volumes. If your licensed for say 500 rounds what controls are in place to stop you accumulating 1000 rounds. Am I right to say nothing?

**not advocating breech of conditions (I appreciate the consequences).

In the real world very little bar your law abiding nature that got you in a position to apply for a licence for starters.

If, and it does happen, you get caught it's an appointment with the district court judge and probably a fine and good luck getting another licence for the foreseeable future.

That possibility for most of if not near all of us is sufficient deterrent to not do stupid stuff that'll mean the end of your hobby.

Don't get too hung up on having or not having received particular letters.

On many an occasion I have received the letter from the Super's office that my application was being considered after I had paid for and received the licence..... . It would appear that dealing with the actual application in the local district takes precedent over sending out letters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement