Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

janfebmar wrote: »
    He used his position of power to try to curry favour with her socially. I cannot imagine a leader of another western country making such a mistake.

You don't need to imagine it J. See Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You don't need to imagine it J. See Brexit.

What letter are you referring to in regard to Brexit? It is much too early to see if Brexit will be a success or not anyway.

Compare that to little Leo. Quote : "Leo Varadkar's letter to pop star Kylie Minogue has been labelled "cringe-worthy" and "demeaning of his office". ... "Dear Kylie, just wanted to drop you a short note in advance of the concert in Dublin," the letter read. ... "If you like, I'd love to welcome you to .."

The Taoiseach said he was a "huge fan"

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What letter are you referring to in regard to Brexit? It is much too early to see if Brexit will be a success or not anyway.

Compare that to little Leo. Quote : "Leo Varadkar's letter to pop star Kylie Minogue has been labelled "cringe-worthy" and "demeaning of his office". ... "Dear Kylie, just wanted to drop you a short note in advance of the concert in Dublin," the letter read. ... "If you like, I'd love to welcome you to .."

The current Taoiseach is a PR obsessed fool sometimes. We all know this, but have no frickin idea what it has to do with the thread only that it illuminates your pitiful and constant need to denigrate your own country whenever any criticism of the British is mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

"

Looks like it will be a sucees for scottish nationlists anyway....clear majority in scotland support independamce when johnson becomes prime minister

However, when asked how they would vote if Johnson were to become prime minister, 53% say they would back independence, with 47% against it.
    The survey was conducted last week for the Sunday Times.

Shocked.jpeg

, it will take somebody braver than Trump to stop us getting access that is reputedly worth billions in PR/promotion.

lol. Surprised even you fell for that. What was worth billions in PR / promotion? The US president meeting Leo in the "not so plush " Shannon airport for 10 minutes, and both looking not comfortable with each other, judging by their body language? I'll tell you what was worth money in p.r. / tourism terms, it was Mr. Trump relaxing in his hotel at the table after his meal with his golf course visible through the big windows behind him. Was that publicity "worth billions"? No, of course not. Nearly twice as many US visitors per year visit Britain than visit Ireland. That is unlikely to change.

• Advertisement

lol. Surprised even you fell for that. What was worth billions in PR / promotion? The US president meeting Leo in the "not so plush " Shannon airport for 10 minutes, and both looking not comfortable with each other, judging by their body language? I'll tell you what was worth money in p.r. / tourism terms, it was Mr. Trump relaxing in his hotel at the table after his meal with his golf course visible through the big windows behind him. Was that publicity "worth billions"? No, of course not. Nearly twice as many US visitors per year visit Britain than visit Ireland. That is unlikely to change.

I was talking about our two days of access no matter who POTUS is or who the Taoiseach is and which no POTUS would ever be brave enough to end.
    You were talking bout a private visit to promote his business interests (which I paid zero attention to). If that brings in tourist dollars...well done to all concerned.

The current Taoiseach is a PR obsessed fool sometimes.

He is not a "PR obsessed" fool sometimes. He is just a fool. If he was PR obsessed he would behave better than he does, for example he would not have written to that gay icon Kylie on official government paper, as Taoiseach, because he was a "huge fan" as he told her.

He is not a "PR obsessed" fool sometimes. He is just a fool. If he was PR obsessed he would behave better than he does, for example he would not have written to that gay icon Kylie on official government paper, as Taoiseach, because he was a "huge fan" as he told her.

Well if he wasn't a 'huge fan' he wouldn't have written to her at all.

I was talking about our two days of access no matter ....

ten or twenty minutes of access more like it, and that only happened in recent decades. And not always did our Taoiseach present it. For instance, in 1992 when George Bush snr was president, minister for foreign affairs David Andrews made the presentation of a bowl of Shamrock.

Well if he wasn't a 'huge fan' he wouldn't have written to her at all.

Exactly. He misused his position in his cringeworthy begging letter. He thought he could get to meet her and get vip tickets because of who he was. The Taoiseach, on his official headed paper.

• Advertisement

it will take somebody braver than Trump to stop us getting access that is reputedly worth billions in PR/promotion.

American tourists do not even spend a billion here in total each year, so how could pr/promotion of the Taoiseach meeting Trump be worth billions? You would swallow anything. Tens of thousands of people meet Trump every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I cannot imagine a leader of another western country making such a mistake.

5ee.jpg

ten or twenty minutes of access more like it, and that only happened in recent decades. And not always did our Taoiseach present it. For instance, in 1992 when George Bush snr was president, minister for foreign affairs David Andrews made the presentation of a bowl of Shamrock.

You sound savagely jealous, are you sure you are Irish?

janfebmar/maryishere/gigno/japer/jimmmy let it slip on a different thread that he supports the Northern Ireland soccer team, referring to them as "we".

Jealous of who? Trump? Leo?
    And yes I am Irish, you do not have to be drunk, Gaelic Speaking and dancing at the crossroads after playing GAA to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

janfebmar/maryishere/gigno/japer/jimmmy let it slip on a different thread that he supports the Northern Ireland soccer team, referring to them as "we".

Most of his/her posts are copy and paste from.union bear/ranger ultras forums anyway

Its hilarious to draw them out on it (look for more info etc)...as they have no real belief/knowlege of their points and just keep.copy/pasting same.thing over and over

Lots of time...the extra info would actually bolster their point...but they simply dont know

No I did not, you are confused with someone else.

Jealous of who? Trump? Leo?
    And yes I am Irish, you do not have to be drunk, Gaelic Speaking and dancing at the crossroads after playing GAA to be Irish.

What could any Irish person, concerned about jobs and prosperity, have against unfettered, positive access to the biggest economy in the world.
    You are a uniquely sad Irish person, when I am not laughing at you I am feeling sorry for you.

No I did not, you are confused with someone else.
    Nope, you said "we" in reference to the NI soccer team.

Given your multiple handles over the years I wouldn't be surprised if you have confused yourself with someone else at this stage.

Nope, you said "we" in reference to the NI soccer team.

No I did not, I would never use the word "we" in reference to the NI soccer team, who I do not have much interest in anyway.
    What could any Irish person, concerned about jobs and prosperity, have against unfettered, positive access to the biggest economy in the world.

I am all for strengthening our links with the USA, God knows they need strengthening after Leos performance in the not so plush surroundings of Shannon airport with the US President.
    I was pulling you up on the claim you repeated that it was "worth billions in PR/promotion". Cringeworthy Politicians going to other places on St. Patricks day is little more than a junket for most of them anyway. The only reason the US president agrees to meet them for 10 or 20 minutes in the White house and accept a bowl of shamrock weed is to try to court the Irish American vote. This habit of visiting the White house only started in relatively recent decades, in Reagans era, I seem to remember. I wonder could our Taoiseach, if they have to bring something, could they not bring something more useful, like a hamper of whiskey and tayto and tea bags? If someone turned up at your house with a bowl of organic green matter what would you do with it, ffs?

• Advertisement

No I did not, I would never use the word "we" in reference to the NI soccer team, who I do not have much interest in anyway.

I am all for strengthening our links with the USA, God knows they need strengthening after Leos performance in the not so plush surroundings of Shannon airport with the US President.
    I was pulling you up on the claim you repeated that it was "worth billions in PR/promotion". Cringeworthy Politicians going to other places on St. Patricks day is little more than a junket for most of them anyway. The only reason the US president agrees to meet them for 10 or 20 minutes in the White house and accept a bowl of shamrock weed is to try to court the Irish American vote. This habit of visiting the White house only started in relatively recent decades, in Reagans era, I seem to remember. I wonder could our Taoiseach, if they have to bring something, could they not bring something more useful, like a hamper of whiskey and tayto and tea bags? If someone turned up at your house with a bowl of organic green matter what would you do with it, ffs?

Typed with the distinct whiff of dare I say it, northern Unionist jealousy and bigotry.

Typed with the distinct whiff of dare I say it, northern Unionist jealousy and bigotry.

Never mind changing the subject. Show us you calculations or reasoning that the brief meeting is "worth billions in PR/promotion".

Never mind changing the subject. Show us you calculations or reasoning that the brief meeting is "worth billions in PR/promotion".

You cannot calculate PR effects definitively, it is an 'opinion' . We know that the visit of 2012 (I think it was) was used to launch 'the Gathering' and that event was conservatively calculated to have brought in 170 million alone.

It is hugely positive PR (if a bit cringe for us here) that many many countries would crave to have and of which many are jealous (evidently! :))

But you have enough interest to refer to them as "we". Got it!

I understand why you must be confused given all the re-registrations you have been forced to go through on this site.

You can correct me if I get the banning order mixed up here:

jimmmy - Banned
    Japer - Banned
    gigino - Banned
    true - Banned

Surprisingly your maryishere persona was able to hang in there longer than most. No banning, just a self imposed retirement after the monumentally embarrassing Allied pilot pooper scooper debacle.

Still one of the funniest posts in After Hours, even if not intentional on your part.

pilot-thumbs-up.jpg

maryishere - Allied pilot confirms he dropped a dookie over Éire airspace

You cannot calculate PR effects definitively, it is an 'opinion' . We know that the visit of 2012 (I think it was) was used to launch 'the Gathering' and that event was conservatively calculated to have brought in 170 million alone.

It is hugely positive PR (if a bit cringe for us here) that many many countries would crave to have and of which many are jealous (evidently! :))

:D:D:D:D 'Changing the subject' you say?
    You changed what I said...

I never said the filmed section, which is brief, was worth that, I said the 2 days of unfettered access is worth billions in PR/Promotion imo.

Stay honest jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yea J I did compare Brexit to writing to Kylie and I still feel less embarrassed. I'd feel less embarrassed if Leo sent her d1ck pics to be honest. Brexit is unprecedented.

:D:D:D:D 'Changing the subject' you say?
    You changed what I said...

I never said the filmed section, which is brief, was worth that, I said the 2 days of unfettered access is worth billions in PR/Promotion imo.

Stay honest jan.

I never changed what you said, because I never mentioned "the filmed section".

Total spending (not profit) by American tourists here does not even reach a billion in total, so how could publicity / PR alone, by a brief meeting with Trump, be worth "billions"?

?
    I never changed what you said, because I never mentioned "the filmed section".

Total spending (not profit) by American tourists here does not even reach a billion in total, so how could publicity / PR alone, by a brief meeting with Trump, be worth "billions"?
    that the brief meeting is "worth billions in PR/promotion"

Since when was '2 days' a brief meeting?

And where did I say it was just 'tourism' I was talking about?

• Advertisement

?

Since when was '2 days' a brief meeting?

And where did I say it was just 'tourism' I was talking about?

Leo does not meet Trump for 2 days. How long did they meet for in Shannon airport?

Still waiting for your argument or justification that a meeting with Trump is worth "billions" in publicity / p.r.

Advertisement