Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I can see the logic of what you're saying but wouldn't it be better if Ireland and Britain came to agreements over both areas?-Both countries are inexorably linked,if there's a 'special relationship'between Britain and any other country it should be with Ireland imo.

Yes, of course, common sense should prevail and mutual agreement between countries is always best. The British already gave the treaty ports back though. Lucky they did not give access to the port of Derry, one of the most strategically important ports in these islands during the fight against Nazism.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,049 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I can see the logic of what you're saying but wouldn't it be better if Ireland and Britain came to agreements over both areas?-Both countries are inexorably linked,if there's a 'special relationship'between Britain and any other country it should be with Ireland imo.

They have and they will. Somebody got excited in Scotland and has been put back in their box.

We will continue to let the sad old imperialists think they own it and fish away to our heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

They have and they will. Somebody got excited in Scotland and has been put back in their box.

We will continue to let the sad old imperialists think they own it and fish away to our heart's content.

Can you give any examples of 'sad old imperialists'do any actually exist?I don't know anyone who thinks like that in this day and age.
    In fact,the only person I can think of who is obsessed with British imperialism is...hmmm let me think....:)

Can you give any examples of 'sad old imperialists'do any actually exist?
    those who threatened to board boats in an area they themselves and only themselves, decided they owned?
    I don't know anyone who thinks like that in this day and age.
    In fact,the only person I can think of who is obsessed with British imperialism is...hmmm let me think....:)
    Stop thinking about janfebmar...it isn't healthy for a young man! ;)

those who threatened to board boats in an area they themselves and only themselves, decided they owned?
    You mean off the coast of one of their islands, which is much closer to them than any other country? Sure whose else would it be, they discovered it, first claimed it and are the only ones to have lived on it anyway.

• Advertisement

Can you give any examples of 'sad old imperialists'do any actually exist?I don't know anyone who thinks like that in this day and age.

Come on Francis, can you give any examples of sad old imperialists?

janfebmar wrote: »
    Come on Francis, can you give any examples of sad old imperialists?

I just did.
    Add in those who sanctioned the building of two whopping aircraft carriers*...not exactly for inland fishing are they? :rolleyes:

*These are to act out their sad old imperialist fantasies, but are actually tools to be used by their real masters (The US) as they ride shotgun with them.

He has just gone off on a rant yet again on US imperialism there now too ;)

He has just gone off on a rant yet again on US imperialism there now too ;)

A 'rant'? It was a statement of fact on the relationship between the real world power and one of those sad old imperialist relics who like to ride shotgun for them.

A 'rant'? It was a statement of fact on the relationship between the real world power and one of those sad old imperialist relics who like to ride shotgun for them.

You are just jealous that the President of the USA told Leo and his partner that the US-UK "special relationship" was the greatest the world had ever known. Not since Leo got put back in his box by Kylie did Leo ever feel so humiliated. That evening ever Leo's partner was in shock at the revelation his and Leo's relationship was not the greatest ever. No wonder Leo was lost for words when he met the President of the USA. Is it true Trump was heard to remark afterwards " Who are those little guys "?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

_blaaz wrote: »
    There is only 1 side (history is factual mate)

That's the funniest thing I've read today :)

You are just jealous that the President of the USA told Leo and his partner that the US-UK "special relationship" was the greatest the world had ever known. Not since Leo got put back in his box by Kylie did Leo ever feel so humiliated. That evening ever Leo's partner was in shock at the revelation his and Leo's relationship was not the greatest ever. No wonder Leo was lost for words when he met the President of the USA. Is it true Trump was heard to remark afterwards " Who are those little guys "?

What are you raving about now?

What are you raving about now?

Trumps remarks on the US-UK special relationship was in the news, as was Leos squirmful letter to Kylie Minogue etc. Do pay attention.

Trumps remarks on the US-UK special relationship was in the news,

What would you expect him to say? They love it in Britain, it feeds their sad imperialist fantasies. Trump is many things but stupid isn't one of them. Massaging ego's it is called.

What would you expect him to say? .

OK , so the Americans and British /Commonwealth countries did storm the D day beaches together, but that was no reason to hurt the feelings of Leo's partner, now was it?

OK , so the Americans and British /Commonwealth countries did storm the D day beaches together, but that was no reason to hurt the feelings of Leo's partner, now was it?

America saved Britain's ass and bailed them out and have kept them as their European slave nation since. They will rapidly lose interest if the loons Brexit though.

America saved Britain's ass and bailed them out and have kept them as their European slave nation since. They will rapidly lose interest ...

You have been saying that since 1945. They still won the cold war together, liberated little Kuwait who had been invaded by Iraq together etc. Still G7 countries, still members of NATO, still brothers in arms.

Poor Leo's partner, do you not feel sorry for the humiliation he and Leo suffered?

You have been saying that since 1945. They still won the cold war together, liberated little Kuwait who had been invaded by Iraq together etc. Still G7 countries, still members of NATO, still brothers in arms.

Poor Leo's partner, do you not feel sorry for the humiliation he and Leo suffered?

Still laughing that you fell for the 'special relationship' guff, when in reality people were counting on twitter how many times Trump insulted the monarch alone. :D:D:D

Talk is cheap.

Still laughing that you fell for the 'special relationship' guff, when in reality people were counting on twitter how many times Trump insulted the monarch alone. :D:D:D

Naw, he praised the Queen highly actually. The queen you think he insulted was Leos partner, God bless him.

"Who are those little guys?" Lol

"That's the Prime Minister, he is called teeshock here, and his eerr...partner. Remember Leo, you met him at the white house for 10 minutes and he gave you a bowl of some garden weed called Shamrock? The same guy you phoned up about a favour for your property in Clare before he became Prime Minister?"

Naw, he praised the Queen highly actually.

Still laughing at you. Read the press on his visit. He disrespected the monarch over and over and didn't they accuse him of falling asleep when the monarch was speaking?

That's what you do when you are the power in a relationship.

• Advertisement

Still laughing at you. Read the press on his visit. He disrespected the monarch over and over and didn't they accuse him of falling asleep when the monarch was speaking?

That's what you do when you are the power in a relationship.

I could`nt care less how trump acted in front of the Queen,he is hardly the most sincere or well regarded or mannered world leader.
    I would be concerned though,if the leader of my country used official stationary to write to a singer then tried to hide the fact from the public.

Nope actually he described her as an "incredible lady, "and he spent hours talking to her about a series of topics. I am still laughing at you, are you jealous he did not treat Leo and his partner well over a paper cup of coffee in the lobby of the airport, when he was properly "fed and watered" to the highest standards in London?

I could`nt care less how trump acted in front of the Queen,he is hardly the most sincere or well regarded or mannered world leader.
    I would be concerned though,if the leader of my country used official stationary to write to a singer then tried to hide the fact from the public.

My thoughts on Leo's letter writing are well known on this forum Rob. And they ain't complimentary.

I refuse to give vent to janfebmar's fairly blatant homophobia though. She has been trying it on for a while now and not just on this thread. No need for it in her relentless anti Irish diatribe's.

Nope actually he described her as an "incredible lady,

Laughing here again because you must have missed, or probably are willfully ignoring the very funny counting of how many times he disrespected her on twitter.

Again - of course he would call her 'incredible', that is exactly what his minions want to hear.

My thoughts on Leo's letter writing are well known on this forum Rob. And they ain't complimentary.

I refuse to give vent to janfebmar's fairly blatant homophobia though. She has been trying it on for a while now and not just on this thread. No need for it in her relentless anti Irish diatribe's.

I am not the slighest bit homophobic, I am just amused by how you stand up for Leo when it suits you. And pointing out the reality of Leo and his relatively poor relationship with the President of the USA, when he had promised to raise and progress issues of concern such as Irish immigration to the USA, is not "anti-Irish".

I am not the slighest bit homophobic, .

Sure jan, sure. :rolleyes:

Sure jan, sure. :rolleyes:

Why do you think Leo did not get on well with the President of the USA? Even their body language when they met was awful.

He used his position of power to try to curry favour with her socially. I cannot imagine a leader of another western country making such a mistake.

He used his position of power to try to curry favour with her socially. I cannot imagine a leader of another western country making such a mistake.

I agree that he made a serious misjudgment doing that but if I had to choose between him trump or boris johnson he'd win hands down.

• Advertisement

Why do you think Leo did not get on well with the President of the USA? Even their body language when they met was awful.

Did he not get on with him? Boo hoo.

I don't pay much attention to the Paddy's Day shamoozle. Others seem to get their jollies stopping Irish people getting access though.

Like Scotland threatening to stop us fishing, it will take somebody braver than Trump to stop us getting access that is reputedly worth billions in PR/promotion.
    No other nation of our size or even much bigger gets the treatment we get on our national day.

Advertisement