Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I dunno, Rockall is quite separated from the continental shelf. As far I can see from a geographical POV, neither the UK nor Ireland have any logical claim.

It's in the waters within the UK's current EEZ.
    Ireland has no claim whatseover.

Ireland also agreed to Rockall being included in Britain's exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in March, 2013.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 67,045 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

odyssey06 wrote: »

Ireland are not making a claim and it's position is that nobody has a rightful claim and it is therefore like many other sea stacks...common fishing grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Ireland also agreed to Rockall being included in Britain's exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in March, 2013.

They might as well claim Madagascar or Greenland for all that. Rockall is not part of the land mass of these islands, it's quite separate.

They might as well claim Madagascar or Greenland for all that. Rockall is not part of the land mass of these islands, it's quite separate.

Madagascar isn't in the UK's EEZ. Rockall is. Land mass doesn't come into it. EEZ from your inhabited islands does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I dunno, Rockall is quite separated from the continental shelf. As far I can see from a geographical POV, neither the UK nor Ireland have any logical claim.

Not sure geographical proximity has anything to do with ownership. Look at the Spanish Canary Islands (off the coast of Morocco), or the Falkland Islands (off the coast of Argentina), and there are many more examples of rocks/ Islands that are nowhere near the geographical "Mother country" whether it be France, Spain, Britain, or Portugal....

How about dividing the Rockall fishing territory into four sections as per a pie chart?

Section one Scotland (UK).
    Section two Ireland (ROI).
    Section three Iceland (Ice).
    Section four Faroe Islands (Den).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That's a fact but some would rather conveniently overlook that fact if they think it winds the brits up!:)

It would be interesting to know the monetary value of the fish\shellfish landed from within Rockall territoral waters per annum.
    I don't see any evidence at the local fishmongers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

It would be interesting to know the monetary value of the fish\shellfish landed from within Rockall territoral waters per annum.
    I don't see any evidence at the local fishmongers...

Indeed not all fish comes from where you think it does. A lot of the "Donegal Catch" product comes from Scotland and even Chile. Ireland even imported 72,000 tonnes of spuds last year, inc 44,000 tonnes from Britain...

janfebmar wrote: »
    Indeed not all fish comes from where you think it does. A lot of the "Donegal Catch" product comes from Scotland and even Chile. Ireland even imported 72,000 tonnes of spuds last year, inc 44,000 tonnes from Britain...

At this stage I presume any fish\seafood isn't from Ireland unless declared so.
    Bought some Italian potatoes today - top quality.
    Seems like Irish farms are all about beef and dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I heard that many processed potato products available in Ireland(frozen chips etc)are made with British potatoes which have a good texture,although tayto crisps are better than british crisps!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Madagascar isn't in the UK's EEZ. Rockall is. Land mass doesn't come into it. EEZ from your inhabited islands does.

Well you could argue that the EEZ of the British Empire once logically extended far around the world. They say possession is 9/10ths of the law etc., and the UK put in a claim for possession of Rockall, which is disputed. The fact that the Scots say they own the rights there, doesn't necessarily mean they do.

Well you could argue that the EEZ of the British Empire once logically extended far around the world. They say possession is 9/10ths of the law etc., and the UK put in a claim for possession of Rockall, which is disputed. The fact that the Scots say they own the rights there, doesn't necessarily mean they do.

What you are saying sounds reasonable from first principles but the maritime law experts, of which I only have google knowledge, seem pretty sure of the Scottish\UK case.

Unbelievable...EU member trades with other EU member shocker!

And other shocking news, it is costing us money to import even the humble spud.
    Quote: " External Debt in Ireland increased to 2331985 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 from 2293949 EUR Million in the third quarter of 2018. External Debt in Ireland averaged 1566797.01 EUR Million from 2002 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 2331985 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 and a record low of 521792 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2002."

Quote: " External Debt in Ireland increased to 2331985 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 from 2293949 EUR Million in the third quarter of 2018. External Debt in Ireland averaged 1566797.01 EUR Million from 2002 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 2331985 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 and a record low of 521792 EUR Million in the fourth quarter of 2002."

...and we are ****e at Morris Dancing too. Anything else jan?
    Love how your negativity is so funny...brilliant!

...and we are ****e at Morris Dancing too. Anything else jan?

I know nothing about Morris Dancing Francie, what has it to do with politics or economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

The government isnt importing food?(unlike say the brits which uses army to export food from famine hit colonies)

Why you think government debt is food related is brilliant though :pac:

_blaaz wrote: »
    The government isnt importing food?(unlike say the brits which uses army to export food from famine hit colonies)
    No the government is not importing food in to Ireland. Back in 1847 it did, more than was exported, but that is another subject, start a thread on it if you want.

No the government is not importing food in to Ireland.
    Then why are you including it in government debt figures??

Back in 1847 it did, more than was exported, but that is another subject, start a thread on it if you want.

Not enough and wouldnt have had to...if they not sent their army to remove food from a famine hit colony

Then why are you including it in government debt figures??

I did not. It was Francie who said
    I made the point we are trading so successfully (lol) our nation debt has increased so much (figures produced).

• Advertisement

I did not. It was Francie who said
    I made the point we are trading so successfully (lol) our nation debt has increased so much (figures produced).

Its unreal you dont understand difference between national debt and balance of trade (the figure you should be looking for,to make pint your trying to make)

Should you not be off to cheer on more british genocides like ones carried out here during the famine

Its unreal you dont understand difference between national debt and balance of trade (the figure you should be looking for,to make pint your trying to make)

Jan is here to remind us that in every aspect of our existence we are inferior...a lesser thing than the noble British.

*cue Jan reiterating yet again how proud she is to be Irish. :D:D:D:D:D

Its unreal you dont understand difference between national debt and balance of trade

Of course I understand that, it is unreal you do not accept that Ireland’s current account is heavily distorted by factors such as “contract manufacturing” and the on-shoring of intellectual property assets. Accordingly, it is unrepresentative of Ireland’s financial transactions with the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Way off topic, Francie. I see Malachy is gone. Were you in Clones ?

mattser wrote: »
    Way off topic, Francie. I see Malachy is gone. Were you in Clones ?

Yep. Expected end of an era if I am honest. Has been fun. Every confidence that the developmental work will continue to keep us competitive even if we have to go away for a while! ;)

Jan is here to remind us that in every aspect of our existence we are inferior...a lesser thing than the noble British.

No Francie, we are just as good as the British or anyone else. You have things wrong again.

No Francie, we are just as good as the British or anyone else. You have things wrong again.

Sure jan...sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No the government is not importing food in to Ireland. Back in 1847 it did, more than was exported, but that is another subject, start a thread on it if you want.

You're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ownership of the rock is disputed by three other entities. It's not as simple as you've pointed out. Are the Falklands in Argentina's EEZ or Gibraltar in Spain's?

• Advertisement

Of course I understand that, it is unreal you do not accept that Ireland’s current account is heavily distorted by factors such as “contract manufacturing” and the on-shoring of intellectual property assets. Accordingly, it is unrepresentative of Ireland’s financial transactions with the rest of the world.

I suspect you dont mate....you think importing spudz added to the national debt :pac:

Its quite hilarious your doubling down on this

Advertisement