Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not really; I was specifically pointing out Ireland's extensive sea territory in response to the suggestion that the EU would have no interest in Ireland after Brexit.

but that interest will only extend to the 200 mile limit so it will have no interest in Rockall.

The Malvinas are 12,000 km from the UK - 1500 km from Argentina.

Not wishing to divert the thread but is distance the issue?

hehe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If we tell Juncker there is a drink in for him . I can see him launching the Luxembourg Navy immediately . Admiral Juncker Ahoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have Scotland in our opening game of The Rugby World Cup, ROR is a nice tune for the fans to be singing.

Shure a big chunk of the "Irish" at that match will be the ones from the North who would be more pro Scotland than pro Ireland.
    Another chunk will be the ar**es from certain parts of Dublin that will be laughing at their country cousins from outside the Pale.
    janfebmar wrote: »
    It supported people for months. It supports wildlife. What more do you want it to support?

The first people on it, and afaik, the only people on it, were all British.
    It's closer to Scotland than any other country. So I would guess the British will argue it is not in international waters, it is in British waters.

Are you British or just a plain ould soup taker ?
    FTA69 wrote: »
    If Varadkar doesn’t authorise submarine strikes on all Scottish sea vessels I’m never voting for Fine Gael again.

Ehh say the fella living in London ?
    Actually any chance you can ferment some anti Scottish feeling in the capital.
    Just keep reminding the southerners about the lazy dunken scots hanging around.

Can't understand the Scots getting uppidity at this time unless it is the ones that are looking forward to Brexit and believe they will see the glorious rise of their fishing industry and want sole rights to that area.

rockall is more than 200 nautical miles from Ireland. It is closer to scotland and within 200 nautical miles of their coast.
    All true, but from what I can gather, the UK has itself been indecisive as to how to ground its claim on Rockall.

They have vacillated between preferring a median-line measurement relative to Ireland vs saying that Rockall was a natural prolongation of the Scottish landmass. I wish they'd make up their minds.

The question, also, is whether uninhabited islets, incapable of supporting human life, should have any marine space. "No" was the original position of the Irish Government vis a vis Rockall, but they have now, apparently, retracted that position. The reason seems to be unknown.

I'm only getting this from the one book I've seen that deals with this topic. No doubt there is more relevant, updated information that would be relevant before we all don our Tommy helmets (hereinafter to be known as Tomas helmets) and start digging trenches along the Ulster coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Surely there's enough fish for Ireland and Britain in that area and squabbling over this is counterproductive-its the nations that couldn't care less about the seas surrounding our islands that should have to work within a quota system.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Surely there's enough fish for Ireland and Britain in that area and squabbling over this is counterproductive-its the nations that couldn't care less about the seas surrounding our islands that should have to work within a quota system.
    But once you start departing from the CFP, you then leave open the opportunity for other countries to retreat into local huddles and start excluding the Irish and the Brits, whilst they enjoy a local free-for-all.

In all an' in anyway, I think the relevance of Rockall goes way beyond the importance of this craggy island and its marine limits. It's a useful signpost for how Brexit negotiations might play out, and it's impossible to separate this latest manifestation of the Rockall dispute from the Brexit omnibus.

Speaking of craggy islands, is there a Rugged Island slightly closer to the Donegal coastline which we could conceivably use to further our marine territory?

The Malvinas are 12,000 km from the UK - 1500 km from Argentina.

Not wishing to divert the thread but is distance the issue?

Las Malvinas Francis, to give them their name in Spanish.

I would have thought someone from Eire would appreciate the nuance.

But once you start departing from the CFP, you then leave open the opportunity for other countries to retreat into local huddles and start excluding the Irish and the Brits, whilst they enjoy a local free-for-all.

In all an' in anyway, I think the relevance of Rockall goes way beyond the importance of this craggy island and its marine limits. It's a useful signpost for how Brexit negotiations might play out, and it's impossible to separate this latest manifestation of the Rockall dispute from the Brexit omnibus.

Speaking of craggy islands, is there a Rugged Island slightly closer to the Donegal coastline which we could conceivably use to further our marine territory?

All this does raise the question,is an EU "free for all"the best policy or is it in Ireland's best interests to agree something jointly with the UK which would suit both parties?To me,what suits Ireland and Britain should supersede what the EU want.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,919 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »
    Las Malvinas Francis, to give them their name in Spanish.

I would have thought someone from Eire would appreciate the nuance.

If you are going to be pedantic it's Éire Aegir.

• Advertisement

I think you miss the sarcasm there Francis.

calling the country Eire in English to wind people up is pathetic, is it not?

I think you miss the sarcasm there Francis.

Tbh I am not quite sure what you are doing. But carry on until you are carried off, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

But it's not Eire. It's Éire.

Well played.

The humble síneadh fada makes all the difference ;)

Eire: A load
    Éire: Ireland.

Anois, back to Rockall.

Reati wrote: »
    But it's not Eire. It's Éire.

Well played.

The humble síneadh fada makes all the difference ;)

Eire: A load
    Éire: Ireland.

Anois, back to Rockall.

I think people like Aegir think or expect people on an Irish website to defer to his pro Empire/Imperialist sensibility. :)

It's the same arrogance that allows the UK to ignore UN determinations on territorial rights. Like the Chagos Islands and Rockall etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The Infomar surveys of the Atlantic seabed of recent years are informative: https://www.infomar.ie/maps/interactive-maps/data-viewer

There's a substantial trench, the Rockall Trench separating both Ireland and Scotland from Rockall - so it's not as if the area is some natural extension to the continental shelf of either land mass. Logically it's not part of either's natural territory.

I think people like Aegir think or expect people on an Irish website to defer to his pro Empire/Imperialist sensibility. :)

It's the same arrogance that allows the UK to ignore UN determinations on territorial rights. Like the Chagos Islands and Rockall etc etc.

I don't expect anything from you francis, other than the usual childish, chip on your shoulder ****e you regularly post on here.

it really is an obsession for you, isn't it?

I don't expect anything from you francis, other than the usual childish, chip on your shoulder ****e you regularly post on here.

it really is an obsession for you, isn't it?

:D:D:D Says the guy who came on to have a huff about a name. :)

Yawn...record...change?

Yawn...record...change?

No words for the eternally offended Aegir? :rolleyes:

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The Infomar surveys of the Atlantic seabed of recent years are informative: https://www.infomar.ie/maps/interactive-maps/data-viewer

There's a substantial trench, the Rockall Trench separating both Ireland and Scotland from Rockall - so it's not as if the area is some natural extension to the continental shelf of either land mass. Logically it's not part of either's natural territory.

The Irish Government has to stand up strong here as there are also huge issues with fishing in the Foyle Estuary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The Irish Government has to stand up strong here as there are also huge issues with fishing in the Foyle Estuary.

They will send the harshest letter known to man.

As you should know that is a separate matter covered under a long standing agreement which Ireland and Britain are both happy with.-perhaps common sense can extend this to include rockall if the EU allows Ireland to do that...

As you should know that is a separate matter covered under a long standing agreement which Ireland and Britain are both happy with.-perhaps common sense can extend this to include rockall if the EU allows Ireland to do that...

Brexit is the spanner in the works.

Agreements go out the window if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Phoney war is over. The Irish Navy swinging into action.

D8t-Bd-MLXUAIisv-I.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

BarryD2 wrote: »

That map is so cool. It shows all the ship wrecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Blow up the rock,simple solution,nothing to fight over then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

blinding wrote: »
    So I gather we don't recognise the fact that Rockwall is a UK rock, and that the territorial waters surrounding Rockwall are UK waters, yet we don't lay claim to the rock or the waters cool.png
    Kinda like saying its not your rock but it is really .
    Its more like losing a chess game, and then saying "Lets call it a draw, that seems fair".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

It's like when King Solomon of Israel ruled between two women both claiming to be the mother of a child and he said that the child should be cut in half and half given to each woman. Only the true mother would give the baby to the other woman sooner than see it killed.

So the UN needs to prepare to blow up Rockall to discover who the true owner is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Surely it would be of even more interest? Leaving aside any strategic defensive aspect to Ireland's location, here's a very, very interesting research report from Foras na Mara/the Marine Institute from a mere three days ago, 7 June 2019, about just how large Ireland's sea area is (I wonder is the timing of the current debate linked?):
    It's worth reading the full summary here:

Marine Institute: 'The map of Ireland is bigger than you think' (7 June 2019)
    Yeah but... the map shows Rockall itself to be in the UK's EEZ, even though the southern part of the Rockall Bank is in the Irish EEZ. Hence the UK can lay claim to the rock, and with that comes the 12 mile territorial limit around it.
    There's only 2 aways around this. Either blow up the rock so that it does not appear above the high tide mark. The advantage of this is that their 12 mile territorial limit disappears overnight, and with it their exclusive fishing rights.

The diasadvantage is that they "might" consider that an act of war -wiping a piece of another country off the map usually is.

Alternatively adopt the Chinese method of building new islands or rocks in the shallow seas of the southern Rockall bank. Then lure the fish over to our rock (Rockall II) using underwater LED lighting. Then put up a sign "Scots Keep Out, 12 mile limit in operation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Since Ireland are playing Gibraltar tonight. I wouldn't put it past England building a soccer pitch on top of it and trying to get a new international soccer team registered with FIFA.

There's ultimately a political stunt/strategy at the core of this. Because by the letter of the law it is not an inhabited island.

Advertisement