Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

do you have a source for muslims conducting homophobic attacks?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/can-we-finally-talk-about_b_828037

A quick google . And I find this all too easily .

Islam is Homophobic . Its hardly surprising that areas that have increased numbers of Muslims have increased Homophobia .

If you and Islam are unwilling to face this how are they going to face up and try to deal with it .

Stop blocking your ears and eyes . Its not going away .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blinding wrote: »
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/can-we-finally-talk-about_b_828037

A quick google . And I find this all too easily .

Islam is Homophobic . Its hardly surprising that areas that have increased numbers of Muslims have increased Homophobia .

If you and Islam are unwilling to face this how are they going to face up and try to deal with it .

Stop blocking your ears and eyes . Its not going away .

that doesnt answer the question i asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

we are talking about homophobic attacks. Outward displays of homophobia.

Nice bait and switch! The discussion was about homophobia, and you switched to homophobic attacks.

Is denying the roll out of LGBT+ lessons not the very definition of homophobia?
    dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

Why are only attacks homophobic when it suits you?

What if an ideology is spreading the idea that gay people are infidels. Would this not be the definition of homophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why are we discussing Islam here? Are any threads in AH section allowed to discuss anything but Islam.

At a certain point (very quickly) you stop taking it seriously.

Yes Islam has an issue with homophobia. However the attack mentioned in the title has little to do with Islam but here we are again. Hey the cows have a good life in Ireland thread took 8! posts to get to a post complaining about Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why are we discussing Islam here? Are any threads in AH section allowed to discuss anything but Islam.

At a certain point (very quickly) you stop taking it seriously.

Yes Islam has an issue with homophobia. However the attack mentioned in the title has little to do with Islam but here we are again. Hey the cows have a good life in Ireland thread took 8! posts to get to a post complaining about Muslims.

The thread has been completely derailed.

• Advertisement

There is plenty of evidence.

Unfortunately I think the problem is growing in the UK right now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/14/homophobic-and-transphobic-hate-crimes-surge-in-england-and-wales

It seems this poster was the one who changed the subject to 'homophobia growing in the UK'.

Kimsang wrote: »
    It seems this poster was the one who changed the subject to 'homophobia growing in the UK'.

perhaps you should have read the link they posted before responding. it was about actual homophobic attacks and hate crimes.
    Homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, including stalking, harassment and violent assault, have more than doubled in England and Wales over five years, a Guardian analysis has shown.

perhaps you should have read the link they posted before responding. it was about actual homophobic attacks and hate crimes.

Yeah, and then the discussion moved to why homophobia has increased and hate crimes have increased, as some posters have suggested because of the rise in Islam.

Perhaps you need to think for yourself more.

Yeah, and then the discussion moved to why homophobia has increased and hate crimes have increased, as some posters have suggested because of the rise in Islam.

Perhaps you need to think for yourself more.

It moved because YOU moved it, not Joeytheparrot.

It moved because YOU moved it, not Joeytheparrot.

I'm tired of doing your work for you, this is the last time.
    There is plenty of evidence.

Unfortunately I think the problem is growing in the UK right now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/14/homophobic-and-transphobic-hate-crimes-surge-in-england-and-wales

• Advertisement

and the problem joey referred to is this, as i already quoted from the article. Not jsut homophobia in general
    Homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, including stalking, harassment and violent assault, have more than doubled in England and Wales over five years, a Guardian analysis has shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well this is a homophobic attack in the uk so there isnt really any change of subject. Not sure why you're whinging. If its because moderators have already explicitly asked for the shoehorning of islamophobia into the thread to stop then maybe pm the mods about that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Here you are trying to blame Islam for homophobia and on the other thread you're defending the far right. Surprise surprise!

That post showed that this incident is part of a growing trend of similar incidents in the same region.

I fail to see that as a different subject.

11 Posts since I asked these questions;
    Why are only attacks homophobic when it suits you?

What if an ideology is spreading the idea that gay people are infidels. Would this not be the definition of homophobia?

Most people seem intent on derailing the topic.

I expect nothing different at this stage.

Pity nobody will close this thread. It has had its day.

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

"let's shut down discussion about homophobia"

klaaaz wrote: »

some want to turn it into another muslim thread. they couldn't give a monkeys about homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have been told before to bring your concerns to moderators. No need to keep commenting on thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I would suggest your question is designed to turn the thread from one on a particular attack and convert it into and anti muslim thread. I'm sure the two women attacked appreciate their story being used to attack a minority.
    The word 'minority' gets folk riled up, I know, but just because some people have a hate on for a particular religion doesn't mean it isn't a minority. Most religions have issues with gays, don't sign up.

• Advertisement

I’ve reviewed the latest posts in this thread, as well as the slew of recent Reported Posts.

This thread is about a homophobic attack in London, which reportedly had zero muslim involvement. It has naturally moved on to a discussion about homophobia in general.

If a poster wants to bring Islam into the discussion, they will need to provide some strong evidence to justify that angle and which will encourage a proper discussion. I don’t want to see any of the tired old Islam tropes again.

dudara

Not really this incident occurred about three weeks ago. The motives for the attack are uncertain. It is possible it was just general thuggery. I don’t condone attacks on homosexuals. I’m not 100% however that this attack was totally motivated by homophobia.

Not really this incident occurred about three weeks ago. The motives for the attack are uncertain. It is possible it was just general thuggery. I don’t condone attacks on homosexuals. I’m not 100% however that this attack was totally motivated by homophobia.

Here we have it, the mantra that the victims are lying about their horrific ordeal.

London Pride is happening this Saturday, notice how homophobes stay away. They prefer to attack in numbers on vulnerable individuals as they are cowards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Who did you ask exactly?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marshie33

That's awful, when will we learn to finally live in peace?..

Low-level posts (and responses) have been deleted. Please pay attention to my earlier mod warning.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The thread has been completely derailed.

It's what they do, shoehorn thier agenda in any thread they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The irony of racist homophobes always makes me laugh.

They don't know who to stand up for. Such a dilemma. :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

After some more thought, I will attempt to answer some of the questions I originally posed.

What is Chris's surname and why is she withholding it?

She values her privacy. Melania doesn't. Still decides to go on tv.

Why did Melania wait a week to post about the attack on facebook and why post about it at all?
    Why post the story in two different languages?

Melania has South American and English friends and unlike Chris, was perfectly fine with a mass public discovering her horrific ordeal in technicolor. The attackers were/are still at liberty, so I'm surprised she isn't frightened of being tracked down by one of them or their possible allies now she has revealed her name, public profile and address. I wouldn't want my assailants to have access to any information. These boys are built like men and according to her and Chris, misogynistic, homophobic and chauvinistic. God bless her brave soul.

Who took the picture?
    Police? Bus driver? Why didn't anyone say or ask?

Why did Melania pose for a picture after presumably the most traumatic, frightening experience of their life?
    I was reading that they also took pictures of the trail of blood throughout the bus. Why? God only knows. But maybe they should upload those too.

Why does Chris not know how they got from the top of the bus to "fighting on the lower level"?
    Why does Melania seem to think they were fighting on the top level and "when we went downstairs the police were there"?

Mystery.

Why is there no sign of Melania's black eye in the original picture?
    In the original picture, there is no indication of a bump/cut/bruise near her eye. In a later pic, she has a pronounced black left eye. Perhaps it was very, very late in developing.

Why is most of the blood spatter concentrated on their noses and Melania's shirt?
    I suppose that's just the way it happened? There isn't much blood. I don't understand how Chris bore the brunt of the assault yet was far less bloody. I have heard the picture described as graphic, upsetting and horrifying in the hyperbolic media. I've seen more graphic blood scenes in school plays. They have barely a hair out of place and not a speck of blood on their lower bodies. It's 'lucky' Melania was wearing a white shirt otherwise the picture would have had no impact whatsoever and that would have been a damn shame.

How does Melania get dizzy at the sight of her own blood when she's capable of dissecting?
    I don't know, but she should probably not go back to work in the hospital.

Why couldn't they count the number of attackers accurately? ("At least 4 of them" -and there's been a fifth arrest?)

It all must have happened so fast?

How did attackers initially described as 'men' turn out to be teenagers?
    Almost everywhere these mere boys were described as men. In the New York Post, which presumably doesn't have enough assaults in New York to report, the assailants were described as aged between 10 and 15. This is the sort of shoddy reporting, along with false claims of broken noses and jaws, which cannot foster trust in news and media outlets.

Why can't Melania remember if she lost consciousness or not?
    It all happened so fast?

Why were they asked questions about Boris Johnson's leadership qualities?
    Teresa May had stepped down late May and resigned on June 7th. Boris was always the front runner. The media like to stick pins in Boris so I suppose these two Boris-haters were a welcome pair. Maybe that's the real reason they were invited onto television.

Why does the word scissors stick in Melania's mind?
    I don't understand this and she didn't explain.

How did an assault become an international story?
    It would be interesting to see how this internet wildfire got out of control. There are suicides, murders and rapes streamed on Facebook live but this is what comes under scrutiny in international agencies in gay pride month. Bizarre.

I just found out that the name Melania means 'black, dark' so her name translates as dark gay month. What are the odds of that? To think this could have happened to Mary Brolly down the street. The name Chris means Christian. Everyone should know that.

I'm looking forward to the court case and seeing the perpetrators get their just desserts. Hopefully we will get to hear about it and it won't be relegated to some dark corner of the web, buried under an avalanche of self-righteous, politically correct rhetoric and condemning columns of labeling diction.
    The motives for the attack are uncertain. It is possible it was just general thuggery.
    Absolutely. But when some people in minority groups find themselves victimized, they like to project prejudice and hate-filled creeds onto their enemy, to fit their agenda; instead of accepting that they can be hated as individuals or seen as easy targets for cowards and thugs seeking to assert dominance, without ulterior motives, like everyone else in society.
    London Pride is happening this Saturday, notice how homophobes stay away.
    It wouldn't surprise me if something dreadful happened. I hope not.

• Advertisement

Is it just minorities who need to prove all details of crimes against them beyond all reasonable doubt?

Melania is not the only person to have issue with their own blood and not others. You tend not to remember completely fainting - you just notice you are suddenly on the ground. Like sometimes you wake up entirely unsure if you were asleep or not.

The boys will figure out who the girls are at the trial so I wouldn't be worried about them tracking them down. They have CCTV so not like the boys will get off prison by taking them out or any nonsense. Chris presumably just likes her privacy from the media.

As for the media some stories catch on and some don't. Not every missing person is reported equally either. Though I think had people not tried so hard to argue they were lying etc. it would have died a long time ago. Most stories don't have that element.

Advertisement