Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

policarp wrote: »
    Not so sure about that statistic.
    Was in London last week and my friends didn,t feel so safe

Not being safe & not "feeling" safe are 2 different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was a mysoginistic attack on two women who stood up to efforts of men to assert dominance and control over them. One of the victims in her Op Ed https://time.com/5607728/london-bus-attack-guardian/ has lamented the story being utilised for clickbait articles and effectively puts down the attack to the "capitalist, white supremacist, patriarchal system".

A legitimate attack to call homophobic and which is truly disgusting is this reported attack in Merseyside https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48770087

Who said you can decide whats legitamate and illegitmate?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What has that got to do with anything? Have you taken your medication today?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Situation not helped by outrageous heterophobic comment from the likes of high profile women in the news these days. USA football star Rapinoe voices prejudiced belief that a team of only heterosexuals would be unable to win the world cup. It isnt a physical attack - but its an extraordinary vocal attack that would be not tolerated if it were homophobic.
    Stiff sanction may yet follow I guess.

LINK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Are we still talking about this? Should people not be celebrating homosexuality at the parade/parades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

It’s the BBC they ain’t going to mention the Religious angle

They do every other chance they get.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Moved from AH > CA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

How is that heterophobia? It's pointing out the obvious that many more aggressive, physical sports like football attract lesbians. Her comment appears to have been tongue in cheek,coinciding with Pride.

If there were 10 lesbians and one straight woman in the team and it was an active policy to recruit gays then maybe it could be considered some type of discrimination. Otherwise, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It was a mysoginistic attack on two women who stood up to efforts of men to assert dominance and control over them. One of the victims in her Op Ed https://time.com/5607728/london-bus-attack-guardian/ has lamented the story being utilised for clickbait articles and effectively puts down the attack to the "capitalist, white supremacist, patriarchal system".

A legitimate attack to call homophobic and which is truly disgusting is this reported attack in Merseyside https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48770087

she is a nutter
    they had all the opportunity to do good and she does a Claire Daly on it. ffs
    .it would make you wonder about their story..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

How is that heterophobia? It's pointing out the obvious that many more aggressive, physical sports like football attract lesbians. Her comment appears to have been tongue in cheek,coinciding with Pride.

If there were 10 lesbians and one straight woman in the team and it was an active policy to recruit gays then maybe it could be considered some type of discrimination. Otherwise, meh.

Go England! Totally classless. Typical Yank sportsperson. Hope England hop them out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Assetbacked, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What about yourself, have you?

Maybe you should send PMs to each other daily, as a reminder..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: Moved from AH > CA

This a genuine question, not a criticism, but is there anything left in AH now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

pinkyeye wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Woodsie1 wrote: »

Okay, thanks for that. I just don't see the need for two different forums.

What am I missing? :confused:

AH wasn't supposed to be a forum for this type of thread, so we now have CA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Read the feedback thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990124

Okay, that makes sense now. Thanks Ten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Any chance a mod could close this? The story is beyond old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    So many questions.

What is Chris's surname and why is she withholding it?
    Who took the picture?
    Why did Melania wait a week to post about the attack on facebook and why post about it at all?
    Why post the story in two different languages?
    Why did they stop for a picture after presumably the most traumatic, frightening experience of their life?
    Why didn't the person who took the picture help them when they were being attacked?
    What were the other passengers doing?
    Why does Chris not know how they got from the top of the bus to "fighting on the lower level"?
    Why does Melania seem to think they were fighting on the top level and "when we went downstairs the police were there"?
    Why didn't the bus driver hear the commotion and stop?
    How did they make such a quick recovery from broken noses and broken jaws to appear perfectly fine on TV 10 days later?
    Why is there no sign of Melania's black eye in the original picture?
    Why is most of the blood spatter concentrated on their noses and Melania's shirt?
    Why does Melania get dizzy at the sight of her own blood when she's capable of dissecting?
    Why couldn't they count the number of attackers? ("At least 4 of them" -and there's been a fifth arrest?)
    How did attackers initially described as 'men' turn out to be teenagers?
    Why can't Melania remember if she lost consciousness or not?
    How have they managed to recover from an attack that would leave a lot of people mentally scarred, agoraphobic and/or suicidal in such a short space of time, so much so that they can appear on TV and media as nerveless champions of LGBT rights and other victims within those minority groups?
    How did a physical assault resulting in a broken nose and jaw-sometimes life changing for some- result in Chris feeling, and I quote, "more physically confident"?
    How did an assault become an international story?
    Why are they giving their opinion on Boris Johnson's leadership qualities?
    Will we ever see the perpetrators?
    Will we ever discover the names of the perpetrators?
    (Edit: I will strike through as questions get answered!)
    I think these are still important questions that need answering! I don't think anyone has yet. Given how much interest there was, why not let's wait and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Kimsang wrote: »
    I think these are still important questions that need answering! I don't think anyone has yet. Given how much interest there was, why not let's wait and see what happens

Most of the questions were related to victim blaming or claiming it never happened. The question about seeing the perpetrators, nope. They're minors. So all questions of merit answered.

batgoat wrote: »
    Most of the questions were related to victim blaming or claiming it never happened. The question about seeing the perpetrators, nope. They're minors. So all questions of merit answered.

*replace legitimate with merit

Also questions don't make claims. That's the nature of a question.

Here's a question for you! Why are people so interested in the Jussie Smollett case in the US? Are you familiar with the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

What questions of merit were answered?

*replace legitimate with merit

Also questions don't make claims. That's the nature of a question.

Here's a question for you! Why are people so interested in the Jussie Smollett case in the US? Are you familiar with the case?

Questions can be leading or make implications which those ones clearly were. The perpetrators have been arrested and charged, so not remotely similar to Smollett case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Any chance a mod could close this? The story is beyond old at this stage.

Please use Report Post to bring items to the attention of moderators. We don’t get to read every post and requests like this can be overlooked.

The mods will review and make a decision. However, we don’t tend to close threads if there is active, ongoing debate that falls within the bounds of the forum charter.

dudara

Questions can be leading or make implications which those ones clearly were. The perpetrators have been arrested and charged, so not remotely similar to Smollett case.

If you claim your house has been burned down, is it victim-blaming or implying you're lying if the insurance company call around to check?

If you claim your house has been burned down, is it victim-blaming or implying you're lying if the insurance company call around to check?

Can you clarify, do you believe there's a chance that they invented this attack? The police clearly don't think so and the perpetrators were arrested (based on CCTV footage). So yep, it is not your job to investigate this crime and I would say your infatuation with answering that set of questions is motivated by your feelings about the victims (because they're an example of hate crimes or one was mean to Boris?) rather than an interest in justice.

• Advertisement

Can you clarify, do you believe there's a chance that they invented this attack? The police clearly don't think so and the perpetrators were arrested (based on CCTV footage). So yep, it is not your job to investigate this crime and I would say your infatuation with answering that set of questions is motivated by your feelings about the victims (because they're an example of hate crimes or one was mean to Boris?) rather than an interest in justice.

I am not claiming their house wasn't burned down. Clearly there was some fire, and damage afterwards. What is in question is whether the arsonists intended to burn the house down because of who lived in there and whether in any way they provoked the arsonists. I believe this is the question people are more concerned with.

Advertisement