Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Beasty wrote: »
    I've just deleted a number of posts which contravene my prior warning. Anyone else raising the topic of Muslims in this thread will face a card or ban and will also be banned from posting in this thread again

Just to ask if/when its revealed that the perpetrators were muslims is it valid to discuss again or is it off the table regardless ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to ask if/when its revealed that the perpetrators were muslims is it valid to discuss again or is it off the table regardless ?
    Do not post in this thread again

Next time you will be banned from the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just as suspected, Chris threw the first punch ..

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1200096159097933829

She's lucky, what with London's propensity for knife crime, her life didn't end that night.

These lads were utter scum, there's no question about that but the only message that should be taken from all this is that if you're female (or indeed outnumbered young males) on a night out and scumbags start harassing you, throwing coins (and/or being aggressively sexual suggestive towards you - as was the case here) get the fcuk away from them as quickly as your legs can carry you!

This footage should be an advert for what NOT to do in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Looks like the guy was defending himself the only attacker there is the blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

They were charged with harassment. Which occured before the assualt. Can't well say they were harassing in self defense before anyone was attacked?

I also missed the self defense lesson that involved stealing a handbag?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1200096159097933829

She's lucky, what with London's propensity for knife crime, her life didn't end that night.

These lads were utter scum, there's no question about that but the only message that should be taken from all this is that if you're female (or indeed outnumbered young males) on a night out and scumbags start harassing you, throwing coins (and/or being aggressively sexual suggestive towards you - as was the case here) get the fcuk away from them as quickly as your legs can carry you!

That link doesn't work for me.

Edit: works now.

Didn't she punch him in the chops for stealing her bag?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m assuming Chris is the blonde woman? (Weird to use a first name like that. Do you know these people?) As she hasn’t been charged with anything, it must be deemed to have been self-defense. So who cares if she threw the first punch? If somebody is defending themselves, they often will. So what’s your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I’m assuming Chris is the blonde woman? (Weird to use a first name like that. Do you know these people?) As she hasn’t been charged with anything, it must be deemed to have been self-defense. So who cares if she threw the first punch? If somebody is defending themselves, they often will. So what’s your point?

Referring to ppl by their name is a common practice in western societies even when you don't know them personally. In formal situations one might use the persons surname preceded by Mr/Ms but this is commonly dispensed with when the subject isn't present and obviously in cases where the surname is not known. It's unclear exactly how long this has been the case but some historians think it dates as far back to when names were invented, whenever that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

AllForIt wrote: »
    Referring to ppl by their name is a common practice in western societies even when you don't know them personally. In formal situations one might use the persons surname preceded by Mr/Ms but this is commonly dispensed with when the subject isn't present and obviously in cases where the surname is not known. It's unclear exactly how long this has been the case but some historians think it dates as far back to when names were invented, whenever that was.

Thick layers of sarcasm there but it is weird in certain situations to not say the full name or surname. Just using the first name there struck me as odd and, well, I’m also a person who speaks English and that’s my impression. Generally if you don’t know a person, you’ll use their full name or surname. Anything else seems curiously overfamiliar.

Edit: And most people won’t remember the names of the people involved seeing as it’s a while ago now. So to be like “See, I told you First Name threw the first punch!” will mean little to anybody and is just a bit overly invested.

Advertisement