Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Strange that there has been no further update beyond the arrests. That means no one has been charged. Combine this with the gap in the girls' story (we were seated, then suddenly we were in a fight) and the lack of additional information then this story had more to it than initially reported.

Those swallowing the homophobic attack line and thinking that's all there is too it, gays are victims, we still need Pride etc. without actually looking too much into this appear to have jumped the shark.

Suspiciously quiet the past two weeks. The media shown again why it is unfortunately not to be taken at face value.

Populism is not just about people moving towards right wing parties but there is undeniably a populism with the narrative of gay people always being seen as oppressed and victimised by a society who just struggles to adopt "progressive" ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sometimes these cases take a long time to hash out and get someone to court.

If a journalist loses interest in a story then everyone loses out. It all comes down to a person chasing the news they deem worthy of passing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Suspiciously quiet the past two weeks. The media shown again why it is unfortunately not to be taken at face value.
    You're watching too much TV. Cases take time to get ready for court.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You're watching too much TV. Cases take time to get ready for court.

Well, actually given that it is Pride weekend, the matter should still be used as an example as to how Pride is still important in Op-Eds on Pride. My point is that this was not a homophobic attack and the media have shown themselves to be whores for jumping on the oppressed gays bandwagon without even thinking what homophobia is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Populism is not just about people moving towards right wing parties but there is undeniably a populism with the narrative of gay people always being seen as oppressed and victimised by a society who just struggles to adopt "progressive" ideals.

Cases take time to be processed and go to court.

Current media is plagued by a 24 hour news cycle, so it's likely we'll see nothing on this for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I still don't get how they knew the bus was gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, actually given that it is Pride weekend, the matter should still be used as an example as to how Pride is still important in Op-Eds on Pride. My point is that this was not a homophobic attack and the media have shown themselves to be whores for jumping on the oppressed gays bandwagon without even thinking what homophobia is.

well i'm glad we have you to decide these things for the rest of us/ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well nothing to report is not much use to anyone. The attack has been very well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok so your saying this isnt a homophobic attack?
    On what grounds?

Are you saying homophobic attacks arent a thing?

What is homophobia to you?

If you were attacked by two lads and called a "f@ggot" repeatedly and then slashed in the face with a stanley knife would you classify that as homophobia?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Looks staged to me doubt it even happened. Picture looks very fake. And now suddenly one of them is getting op eds in national newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Looks staged to me doubt it even happened. Picture looks very fake. And now suddenly one of them is getting op eds in national newspapers.

It wasn't staged, they arrested the guys who did it....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

batgoat wrote: »
    It wasn't staged, they arrested the guys who did it....

Yeah but we saw a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Jesus Christ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

My point is that this was not a homophobic attack and the media have shown themselves to be whores for jumping on the oppressed gays bandwagon without even thinking what homophobia is.

So.... what is homophobia?

I'm dying to hear this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok...that seems like a bizarre attitude to take.
    Do you not think homophobic attacks happen in general? Or is it just this one that was faked?

So.... what is homophobia?

I'm dying to hear this :pac:

I suggested this earlier in the thread but even if all theses conditions were filled you would still have people like AssetBacked deciding it wasn't homophobic.
    something along the lines of "We're going to beat you up because you are queer and no other reason". They would also have to put that in writing and sign in case anybody tried to misconstrue their motives. Nothing less will be accepted.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok...that seems like a bizarre attitude to take.
    Do you not think homophobic attacks happen in general? Or is it just this one that was faked?

you misspelled stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

AssetBacked has bumped this thread today, on the basis that there has been no further information publicised in the last number of weeks, and on that basis alone we are all to believe that the media are liars and whores?

Because CPS aren't meeting AssetBacked's fairly arbitrary deadline (it's pride after all, WTF has that got to do with anything?) that the whole thing is fake and we've all been played for fools because, uh, reasons?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Its just this one the picture itself looks very set up and fake imo

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

MrFresh wrote: »
    In what way?

Pictures of the earth as a globe are fake way I assume.

• Advertisement

It was a mysoginistic attack on two women who stood up to efforts of men to assert dominance and control over them. One of the victims in her Op Ed https://time.com/5607728/london-bus-attack-guardian/ has lamented the story being utilised for clickbait articles and effectively puts down the attack to the "capitalist, white supremacist, patriarchal system".

A legitimate attack to call homophobic and which is truly disgusting is this reported attack in Merseyside https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48770087

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

effectively puts down the attack to the "capitalist, white supremacist, patriarchal system".
    What the fuq?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Monat means month so Geymonat=gay month. That's weird.

So many questions.

What is Chris's surname and why is she withholding it?
    Who took the picture?
    Why did Melania wait a week to post about the attack on facebook and why post about it at all?
    Why post the story in two different languages?
    Why did they stop for a picture after presumably the most traumatic, frightening experience of their life?
    Why didn't the person who took the picture help them when they were being attacked?
    What were the other passengers doing?
    Why does Chris not know how they got from the top of the bus to "fighting on the lower level"?
    Why does Melania seem to think they were fighting on the top level and "when we went downstairs the police were there"?
    Why didn't the bus driver hear the commotion and stop?
    How did they make such a quick recovery from broken noses and broken jaws to appear perfectly fine on TV 10 days later?
    Why is there no sign of Melania's black eye in the original picture?
    Why is most of the blood spatter concentrated on their noses and Melania's shirt?
    Why does Melania get dizzy at the sight of her own blood when she's capable of dissecting?
    Why couldn't they count the number of attackers? ("At least 4 of them" -and there's been a fifth arrest?)
    How did attackers initially described as 'men' turn out to be teenagers?
    Why can't Melania remember if she lost consciousness or not?
    How have they managed to recover from an attack that would leave a lot of people mentally scarred, agoraphobic and/or suicidal in such a short space of time, so much so that they can appear on TV and media as nerveless champions of LGBT rights and other victims within those minority groups?
    How did a physical assault resulting in a broken nose and jaw-sometimes life changing for some- result in Chris feeling, and I quote, "more physically confident"?
    How did an assault become an international story?
    Why are they giving their opinion on Boris Johnson's leadership qualities?
    Will we ever see the perpetrators?
    Will we ever discover the names of the perpetrators?

I hate it when bad things happen to innocent, talented people, and Melania Geymonat is multi-talented; she's an actress and playwright, as well as working in medicine and as a Ryanair stewardess. Be sure to donate to their gofundme page. I already did. They were looking for 4500. I hope they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Despicable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

branie2 wrote: »
    Despicable!

They weren,t stabbed which is a regular occurrence in London at the moment.
    So who is safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

policarp wrote: »
    They weren,t stabbed which is a regular occurrence in London at the moment.
    So who is safe?

99.99+% of the people who live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

branie2 wrote: »
    Despicable!
    99.99+% of the people who live there.

Not so sure about that statistic.
    Was in London last week and my friends didn,t feel so safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

policarp wrote: »
    Not so sure about that statistic.
    Was in London last week and my friends didn,t feel so safe

Feelings aren't a counter to fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Situation not helped by outrageous heterophobic comment from the likes of high profile women in the news these days. USA football star Rapinoe voices prejudiced belief that a team of only heterosexuals would be unable to win the world cup. It isnt a physical attack - but its an extraordinary vocal attack that would be not tolerated if it were homophobic.
    Stiff sanction may yet follow I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Situation not helped by outrageous heterophobic comment from the likes of high profile women in the news these days. USA football star Rapinoe voices prejudiced belief that a team of only heterosexuals would be unable to win the world cup. It isnt a physical attack - but its an extraordinary vocal attack that would be not tolerated if it were homophobic.
    Stiff sanction may yet follow I guess.
    Is she a Bigot against heterosexuals ? Sounds like it .

If somebody said a team of homosexuals couldn’t do something:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement