Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Who said anything about browbeating or forcing anyone? As if that would work. It wouldn’t.
    There is any amount of ways to rebrand it and make people want to engage though. The impetus just isn’t there.

Ok just rememeber i am not being shouty ...and i like you.

Rebranding is fake bs.

Are Irish speakers GENUINE?

Or is all this fake?

Do you really LOVE the Irish language? Do you really want to share it and open it up???

Not you personally ....the general spirit of the movement or Irish speaking community.

All you have to do is find something within it that really interests each student. And tell them they are welcome within it.

Its needs inspiration and fire. I want someone to answer my space monkey question! :mad:

Or try to ..or imagine!

I am not going to hang around for a brand. I am off for that.

Either its passionate or not.

My space monkey question ..is a good question!

Someone explain the linguistics of Irish ...the psychology of it ...GET ME INTERESTED..

Why is Irish so spatially orientated?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/reading-the-grammar-of-an-irish-mind-1.1939090

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS ..THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Éilís Ní Dhuibhne (the writer of this article ) is a GENIUS! I BET SHE COULD ANSWER MY SPACE MONKEY QUESTION!

Maybe instead of thinking Irish kids are really DUMB realize they are too smart to fall for any rebranding. And offer them something REAL and fascinating. Its called KNOWLEDGE.

Not shouty! :P

And read that article its fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I've wondered if a modern Irish speaker met a native speaker from say the 18th century, would they be able to converse at all meaningfully? Even now, there are differences in vocabulary between Ulster, Connacht and Munster Irish and then there's the official version. The whole area is full of contradictions but I suppose such is life.

A speaker from the 19th century certainly could. Look at a couple of books from the 1900's (they're free online) and while the spelling might be different, the substance is the same.

Living languages evolve, the English syntax in Irish is now commonplace. I'm sure Spanish as spoken in the southern states in the US would be a little different to the classical version also!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

janfebmar wrote: »
    It's an ugly dead language and a waste if taxpayers money.

I doubt is ugly or hard to learn as some people here say, English is both of them.

Ever hear of first mover advantage? You're right it doesn't matter as much today but it undoubtedly did in the past.

Speaking English has helped Irish people make a living for over 150 years - outside of Ireland in particular. I don't think we realise just how important that diaspora (particularly in USA) has been for us economically and politically.

It has helped prosperity in Ireland also, not singlehandedly but in combination with other factors, particularly in more recent decades. We can't ignore that the shift in the mother tongue was - for the most part - a pragmatic and incentivised choice, not a violent struggle.

Ní bheathaíonn na briathra na bráithre as they say.

Colonization and its affects, is never a choice.

Das Reich wrote: »
    I doubt is ugly or hard to learn as some people here say, English is both of them.

That is relative. It is to them. English is to you. You are both right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Reati wrote: »
    Speaking English actually doesn't mean much anymore because a huge number of people speak it.

It's still far better then having someone who is only fluent in Irish

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's still far better then having someone who is only fluent in Irish
    Maybe not who knows.

I think having someone only fluent in Irish would be cool if you could travel back in time ....you could ask questions.....space monkey questions....

Cé na mhoncaí spáis?

I refuse to let this go.

Colonization and its affects, is never a choice.

The one and only English Pope Adrian IV invited the English to sojourn in Ireland in 1156. It was a long time after that English become the mother tongue for most of us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Lets not forget English is a mongrel language and relatively young and mutated really quickly into its current form. It’s being abandoned by youth of today who seem to speak in emojis and have abysmal spelling and grammar when they do try to use it

The one and only English Pope Adrian IV invited the English to sojourn in Ireland in 1156. It was a long time after that English become the mother tongue for most of us!

WIKI
    It is believed that Irish remained the majority tongue as late as 1800[18] but became a minority language during the 19th century.[19

I wonder what their value system was. It should be ours ..now...

I mean all those ghosts....they prolly be hurt we were speaking the language of the people who crushed them. I think they would want to know we were ok though!

Irish needs a field of dreams moment.

Keep the faith :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It teach so bad in school it need change radical. Drop all the poetry and write grammar and tenses sh!te and focus to teach how to speak proper and communicate effective...

You get my drift? The educational system manages to teach grammar, cases and tenses very well in other languages. There is nothing particularly difficult about Irish grammar or its verbs.

No, it doesnt change the fact that what Wakka said is correct. Irish grammer is difficult to learn if the only other language you know is English. If you learn the words first and the grammer 2nd you at least know what your learning the grammer for.

Lets not forget English is a mongrel language and relatively young and mutated really quickly into its current form. It’s being abandoned by youth of today who seem to speak in emojis and have abysmal spelling and grammar when they do try to use it

Lets not attack English. Its as lovely as any language. And emojis are kind of like Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Chinese characters evolved from symbols like emojis.

1*1aqb70ywk-4NJzUVzQArVA.jpeg

Lets not attack English. Its as lovely as any language. And emojis are kind of like Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Chinese characters evolved from symbols like emojis.

1*1aqb70ywk-4NJzUVzQArVA.jpeg

Ah I wasn’t attacking them. Though they actively wiped out the Irish language here and punished anyone using it.

OMG LOOK AT THIS WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN!??

File:Book_of_Ballymote_170r.jpg

Its from 1390.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Irish_language#/media/File:Book_of_Ballymote_170r.jpg

01_Book_of_Ballymote.jpg

Why are there circles and a pyramid?

Though they actively wiped out the Irish language here and punished anyone using it.

And punished the Welsh... and Scots as well probably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not

Look at the history of the French language - not everyone was speaking 'Parisian' in France either.

Punishment often equalled death in those times. The Maam Trasna murder case is one example of where an Irish speaker was wronged by an English speaking system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maolra_Seoighe

There weren't thousands of such cases though as you would expect if there was an "active wipeout'. The English language programme in Ireland in 19th century did have many native sympathisers.

And punished the Welsh... and Scots as well probably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not

Look at the history of the French language - not everyone was speaking 'Parisian' in France either.

Punishment often equalled death in those times. The Maam Trasna murder case is one example of where an Irish speaker was wronged by an English speaking system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maolra_Seoighe

There weren't thousands of such cases though as you would expect if there was an "active wipeout'. The English language programme in Ireland in 19th century did have many native sympathisers.

Well it went from hanging up to the softer feeding people if they anglicised their names.
    The infamous ‘yis took the spud’ slur that survives to this day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well it went from hanging up to the softer feeding people if they anglicised their names.
    The infamous ‘yis took the spud’ slur that survives to this day :)

Along with countless other outdated and usually inaccurate slurs unfortunately.

Along with countless other outdated and usually inaccurate slurs unfortunately.

So how else was it achieved pray tell?
    We have thousands of surnames In Ireland that are warped versions of their original Irish origin.

We all just decided overnight to change them did we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Though they actively wiped out the Irish language here and punished anyone using it.

Christian Brother type historical hogwash! There's a world of difference between bringing in notional laws and implementing them. Irish people moved to speaking English for the same practical & economic reasons that pertains right across the world to this very day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Christian Brother type historical hogwash! There's a world of difference between bringing in notional laws and implementing them. Irish people moved to speaking English for the same practical & economic reasons that pertains right across the world to this very day.

The economic and political reasons were the result of colonialism of course, without the British empire it wouldn’t have been practical.

• Advertisement

The economic and political reasons were the result of colonialism of course, without the British empire it wouldn’t have been practical.

They could have been a nicer empire to be honest.

I mean Miccy D's lets people speak their own language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

_blaaz wrote: »
    Orally its not a particularly difficult language to master

Dont see whats wrong with aspiring to have large% of population fluent in it?

I never found Irish easy. And it wasn’t because I was weak at learning languages generally. I was a good French student. But Irish just alluded me. I never found it easy or even interesting. I would gladly have jettisoned it as a subject if I could have.

I never found Irish easy. And it wasn’t because I was weak at learning languages generally. I was a good French student. But Irish just alluded me. I never found it easy or even interesting. I would gladly have jettisoned it as a subject if I could have.

That brings up the main problem.
    Application.
    We none of us have any need to know it and use it. There’s the huge breach in it being of any practical use.
    Handy to know French in France. Etc
    Really no need in Ireland.

It’s a bummer

*i say that being doubly depressed as someone who has friends here who can speak fluent Sindarin and Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Irish is a complete waste of time. I've managed to get both my kids exemptions from it so they can use that time in secondary school to study useful stuff.

It's quite easy if you know the right professionals and I would encourage any parent who values their child's education to do the same.

Irish is a complete waste of time. I've managed to get both my kids exemptions from it so they can use that time in secondary school to study useful stuff.

It's quite easy if you know the right professionals and I would encourage any parent who values their child's education to do the same.

You’re also known for your loathing of all things irish, weird you’d deny your kids an education in their heritage. Presuming you and them are Irish.

Application.
    We none of us have any need to know it and use it. There’s the huge breach in it being of any practical use.

It’s a bummer

*i say that being doubly depressed as someone who has friends here who can speak fluent Sindarin and Klingon.

It’s not even that. I just didn’t like it as a subject. Like others don’t like maths or history or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Application.

It’s a bummer.

Agreed, only needed for certain jobs and after that, just a hobby or cultural interest.

It’s not even that. I just didn’t like it as a subject. Like others don’t like maths or history or whatever.

I’d blame the teaching and method. Any good teacher can make the most boring subject exciting and worth learning.
    Irish certainly doesn’t have anything going for it as it’s taught now or previously.

I mean Peig

Ffs what’s an awful idea

I’d blame the teaching and method. Any good teacher can make the most boring subject exciting and worth learning.
    Irish certainly doesn’t have anything going for it as it’s taught now or previously.

I mean Peig

Ffs what’s an awful idea

I had some good Irish teachers. It just wasn’t for me. And I actually missed out on Peig Sayers, the curriculum changed.

I’ve found some people to be quite judgemental of me IRL for not liking Irish as a subject or language. Nobody ever seems to have a problem with people not liking maths or french or history. Just because it’s our former native tongue doesn’t mean everyone is going to like learning it.

I like French because I think it’s a beautiful language. I didn’t feel the same about Irish.

• Advertisement

I had some good Irish teachers. It just wasn’t for me. And I actually missed out on Peig Sayers, the curriculum changed.

I’ve found some people to be quite judgemental of me IRL for not liking Irish as a subject or language. Nobody ever seems to have a problem with people not liking maths or french or history. Just because it’s our former native tongue doesn’t mean everyone is going to like learning it.

I like French because I think it’s a beautiful language. I didn’t feel the same about Irish.

You can’t blame the language on someone judging you for not liking it. Fvck em.

I went to a Gaelscoil for secondary. Not having any Irish. Not the brightest idea.
    I had to learn French and German starting first year through a second language I didn’t know.
    They were both taught through Irish. As was everything except English.
    I was fluent in conversational Irish by the end of first year.
    I still have no idea what’s going on in French or German but I can ask for directions to the train station or mayors house if I’m lost on Germany :)

And mein kuli ist kapput

Me and my classmate day one of German in first year thought this was the funniest thing. Also the only thing I remember about learning German.

Still have my Irish though.

Advertisement