Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language revival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You can’t blame the language on someone judging you for not liking it. Fvck em.

I went to a Gaelscoil for secondary. Not having any Irish. Not the brightest idea.
    I had to learn French and German starting first year through a second language I didn’t know.
    They were both taught through Irish. As was everything except English.
    I was fluent in conversational Irish by the end of first year.
    I still have no idea what’s going on in French or German but I can ask for directions to the train station or mayors house if I’m lost on Germany :)

And mein kuli ist kapput

Me and my classmate day one of German in first year thought this was the funniest thing. Also the only thing I remember about learning German.

Still have my Irish though.

I don’t understand the bolded bit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I don’t understand the bolded bit!

It’s not the fault of the language/you can’t dislike the language, because people gave you crap for not enjoying the learning of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It’s not the fault of the language/you can’t dislike the language, because people gave you crap for not enjoying the learning of it

What?

The language is fine. I choose not to speak it because I have fcuk all use for it. I couldn't care less if it sinks or swims. At least I don't have the "shur wouldn't it be lovely if I could speak it" attitude of so many on here. These people are in hopes that others would learn it for them, or the govt would "do something", i.e. fire more money at the problem so by some miracle it would be spoken again by one and all and we'd all live happily ever after. Tbh this is just sheer laziness if they actually wish to retain the language.

I used it as a means to an end, to pass a set of exams, like many other people.
    Languages have become extinct before and I don't recall anyone dying on account of it.
    If you like it and speak it, good for you. It's just not my bag and others may feel similarly for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Looking back at school, I would have much preferred to learn anything other than Irish and French. I was not great at them, and I've never used French since. I used a bit of Irish to pass the exam in the Garda college, but haven't used it since that day (2007). I'm currently using Duolingo to learn Japanese, and I've only done about 2 hours in total, and I already feel like I've learned more than the 5 years in school learning Irish and French. Interesting fact (according to Duolingo), there are more people learning Irish on Duolingo than there are native Irish speakers.

What?

The language is fine. I choose not to speak it because I have fcuk all use for it. I couldn't care less if it sinks or swims. At least I don't have the "shur wouldn't it be lovely if I could speak it" attitude of so many on here. These people are in hopes that others would learn it for them, or the govt would "do something", i.e. fire more money at the problem so by some miracle it would be spoken again by one and all and we'd all live happily ever after. Tbh this is just sheer laziness if they actually wish to retain the language.

I used it as a means to an end, to pass a set of exams, like many other people.
    Languages have become extinct before and I don't recall anyone dying on account of it.
    If you like it and speak it, good for you. It's just not my bag and others may feel similarly for whatever reason.

I’m not saying you must learn it or you must encourage the learning of it.
    That achieves nothing. Nobody cares about what myself or you thinks.

I am saying imagine the people of Ireland were as enagaged in Irish as they are with the premiership or love island or X factor or any amount of bull**** we’d be all better off.

It’s embarrasing we don’t engage with the heart of our culture and instead are addicted brain dead zombies to the brain dead nonsense that comes from Britain.

• Advertisement

Looking back at school, I would have much preferred to learn anything other than Irish and French. I was not great at them, and I've never used French since. I used a bit of Irish to pass the exam in the Garda college, but haven't used it since that day (2007). I'm currently using Duolingo to learn Japanese, and I've only done about 2 hours in total, and I already feel like I've learned more than the 5 years in school learning Irish and French. Interesting fact (according to Duolingo), there are more people learning Irish on Duolingo than there are native Irish speakers.

The times I think confirmed this.
    There are more Irish speakers around the world of different nationalities that can speak Irish than there are people in Ireland than can speak Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I like Irish and want to relearn it but I find a lot of the fluent speakers, particularly from the west of Ireland aren't the most encouraging. Myself and my other half were learning it together but in a Irish speaking meet up a few of the country's western inhabitants just seemed to be there to criticise people speaking it wrong or with a different dialect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I like Irish and want to relearn it but I find a lot of the fluent speakers, particularly from the west of Ireland aren't the most encouraging. Myself and my other half were learning it together but in a Irish speaking meet up a few of the country's western inhabitants just seemed to be there to criticise people speaking it wrong or with a different dialect.

Come to an rinn

Irelands smallest but bestest gaeltacht!

If you’re so easily upset about someones enthusiasm for their heritage but you have time to complain about hating it in the internet, well

This sentence hurts my brain matter.

I did not particularly like the language itself. I had some good teachers. Why do you think people can’t dislike a language?

Oh and I don’t watch X Factor, Love Island or football.

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    The Irish figure is definitely more aspirational than based in reality, and I suspect that Welsh figure is, too.

As someone who speaks Irish fluently, I have used the language on a couple of dozen occasions in the 15 years since I left school (mainly for talking smack about people while with other Irish people abroad), and I think I have heard it while out and about in Ireland fewer than 10 times.
    I lived in North Wales for about a year back in the 1980s, Welsh was widely spoken by a minority of people, my best guess would be about 15% in that area which was close to the English border. In other areas it was far more widely spoken.

It's passed on! This language is no more! It has ceased to be! 'It's expired and gone to meet its maker! 'It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! It's kicked the bucket, its shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-LANGUAGE!!
    the Norwegian blue version.

This sentence hurts my brain matter.

I did not particularly like the language itself. I had some good teachers. Why do you think people can’t dislike a language?

Oh and I don’t watch X Factor, Love Island or football.

Wasn’t directed at you.

Just the rampant unregulated anti Irish spin bots that infect boards and are somehow allowed away with it every single time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I’m not saying you must learn it or you must encourage the learning of it.
    That achieves nothing. Nobody cares about what myself or you thinks.

I am saying imagine the people of Ireland were as enagaged in Irish as they are with the premiership or love island or X factor or any amount of bull**** we’d be all better off.

It’s embarrasing we don’t engage with the heart of our culture and instead are addicted brain dead zombies to the brain dead nonsense that comes from Britain.

Embarrassing for who? Oh right, just yourself.

Our culture consists not just of language. Again, why does language seem to trump other aspects of our culture for you? Explain how it's the "heart" of our culture, and not music, dance, sport, literature ?

Ironic username is ironic btw.

Wasn’t directed at you.

Just the rampant unregulated anti Irish spin bots that infect boards and are somehow allowed away with it every single time

Are they breaking forum rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Embarrassing for who? Oh right, just yourself.

Our culture consists not just of language. Again, why does language seem to trump other aspects of our culture for you? Explain how it's the "heart" of our culture, and not music, dance, sport, literature ?

Ironic username is ironic btw.

For someone who claims to be neutral and not care about whether language survives or not.....you spend an inordinate amount of time running it down and attacking anyone who enjoys it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

One of it's major hurdles is the fact that most of the dialects can't understand each other due to the evolution of the language over time.
    It's One of the top ten oldest languages in the world that is still spoken with hebrew at number one. It would be a shame if we let it die, from a cultural aspect.
    I spent over 18yrs living in a Gaeltacht and the youth have abandoned the place due to a lack of investment by the government. So with emigration, the language dies with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

_blaaz wrote: »
    Come to an rinn

Irelands smallest but bestest gaeltacht!

Is aobhionn liom an rinn! Daoine álainn síos ann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Is aobhionn liom an rinn! Daoine álainn síos ann.
    According to Google translate ......
    "I love the tip! Beautiful people down there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Irish is a complete waste of time. I've managed to get both my kids exemptions from it so they can use that time in secondary school to study useful stuff.

It's quite easy if you know the right professionals and I would encourage any parent who values their child's education to do the same.

Sad thing is the government and all their departments are still wasting billions on a language nobody speaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was given an exemption from Irish, as I had been to a special school where we didn't learn the language before I went into mainstream education

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

branie2 wrote: »
    I was given an exemption from Irish, as I had been to a special school where we didn't learn the language before I went into mainstream education
    Is that standard across all special schools, Branie, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't rightly know

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Irish is a complete waste of time. I've managed to get both my kids exemptions from it so they can use that time in secondary school to study useful stuff.

It's quite easy if you know the right professionals and I would encourage any parent who values their child's education to do the same.

Out of interest, what specifically are they spending this time learning? Not counting stuff they'd be learning anyway?

Saying that it's a waste of time and getting your kids excpetions is no different than forcing kids to learn it.
    I’d blame the teaching and method. Any good teacher can make the most boring subject exciting and worth learning.
    Irish certainly doesn’t have anything going for it as it’s taught now or previously.

I mean Peig

Ffs what’s an awful idea

More the syallabus.

Problem is, it's ultimately a school subject and not a language. And as such, the main reason for learning it is to get points on a college application.
    janfebmar wrote: »
    Sad thing is the government and all their departments are still wasting billions on a language nobody speaks.

"Nobody"..?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,698 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The current curriculam needs to be taken 200 miles west of Black Head and dumped, anyone associated with the support or creation of it should be never allowed have any involvement whatsoever in teaching of the Irish language as they have bloody destroyed it, pure absolute thrash, Mahogany Gas Pipe my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The current curriculam needs to be taken 200 miles west of Black Head and dumped, anyone associated with the support or creation of it should be never allowed have any involvement whatsoever in teaching of the Irish language as they have bloody destroyed it, pure absolute thrash, Mahogany Gas Pipe my hole.

Which curriculum are you talking about? Primary, Secondary? The new language curriculum or the 1999 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,698 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Which curriculum are you talking about? Primary, Secondary? The new language curriculum or the 1999 one?

1999 is after my time in school but before that the teachings were pure absolute fooking thrash by people not able to converse with people who could speak the language, worst teachings on the face of the earth by people, all concerned with it should have been charged with crimes against Irish teachings. They utter destroyed teachings of the language, utter utter class of war criminals in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I question your logic. what other subjects are they learning when not in Irish class ?

My kids go to a GaelScoil, so they learn all subjects through Irish and nothing suffers. In fact they actually benefit as reflected by leaving cert results.

We’re in Spain for a month and they have gone to a few classes and picked up Spainish pretty good as a third language as languages are easy for them.

I hope your kids never want to be a primary school teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

1999 is after my time in school but before that the teachings were pure absolute fooking thrash by people not able to converse with people who could speak the language, worst teachings on the face of the earth by people, all concerned with it should have been charged with crimes against Irish teachings. They utter destroyed teachings of the language, utter utter class of war criminals in this category.

1999 is since my time too but theres a new curriculum being introduced i can see its pros and cons. I cant speak for your experiences but i didnt go to school in an irish speaking area but learnt it, enjoyed it and have it as second language as a result. I think it was also a catalyst for enjoying other languages too.

i know of alot of parents who have done this to then be disgruntled when they realise that alot of state jobs are off limits, university requirements for course entry have similar issues. But i suppose if you know the right professionals youll figure that one too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve been spending a lot of time in the middle east lately as have begun picking up
    Arabic. The structure of the language is very similar to Irish. So much more than any other language I’ve experienced

The greeting is

God be with you : dia duit
    God and the prophet be with you, and so on.

The name Ali is the equivalent of Son or “O(meaning from)”, like Ali Ted1 is O’Ted1

And it continues through out the language

Advertisement