Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Co.Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

Just watched the BBC outlook for next week on the BBC news 24 channel.

They are pretty confident on a hot spell for most of the UK next week as hot hair pushes up from the continent.

Remains to be seen if we tap into any of that hot air. Maybe briefly for the south and east?

Atlantic systems never too far away though it seems. Interesting few weeks ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

esposito wrote: »
    Just watched the BBC outlook for next week on the BBC news 24 channel.

They are pretty confident on a hot spell for most of the UK next week as hot hair pushes up from the continent.

Remains to be seen if we tap into any of that hot air. Maybe briefly for the south and east?

Atlantic systems never too far away though it seems. Interesting few weeks ahead.

Interesting means dull wet at times 19 degrees while the rest of the continent enjoy glorious sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interesting means dull wet at times 10 degrees while the rest of the continent enjoy glorious sunny weather.

Interesting means we don't know. We will model watch.

No more, no less.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

I love this post. I know the weather isn't that bad in Ireland but I like nothing more than blue skies and warmth and we get shag all of it in Ireland! I'm in Spain for the next while and it just makes everything so much better. Cycling, swimming in the sea, eating outside, golf...
    The fact that it's sunny and warm just makes me so bloody happy so I am moving here as soon as I can stop working and can afford to live somewhere in Iberia! Even in March and November you get lots of days that would be considered a cracking summer's day in Ireland.
    It'll be August shortly and every year August is sh*te.

Also it was raining in Waterford for the world cup final last year with was July 15th, if I remember correctly that was about the end of the nice weather but people seem to go on like it was gorgeous for all the summer months... same way people in Dublin say it's 27c outside when it's really 19c because it reached that temperature in Shannon!

I 100% agree with this poster and like his/her direct style of telling it exactly as it is. And cue loads of apologists for /deniars of poor Irish summers rushing to claim that our weather is ok when it's just not really!

Granted it's not been bad in Ireland since about 20th June and it's a million times better than summers earlier this decade, but no way does it compare with other, even northern countries, where, when summer arrives, it stays. And to those who have no better contribution than to accuse us of being moaners when we tell the truth, well enough said!

I've been out of the country for the last two weeks and also totally missed the bad June so can't be accused of moaning, but am returning next Sunday and just hate the idea of a culture shock ie coming from high summer to October like weather and I've experienced that many a time. But the temps look ok enough at home so it mightn't be too bad.

But let's call a spade a spade and be honest about our pretty crappy climate,even though when it's nice in Ireland it's probably the nicest place in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

OldRio wrote: »
    Woah there. It hasn't been between 20 to 23 where I live. We haven't seen that much sun here. When we saw the sun it was grand but come on dry warm and cloudy in summer was the order here. Not great to me.
    We've also had our share of rain. Unfortunately when I was making hay.
    So please realise the weather in this little island varies from area to area.

Indeed, its been a really poor summer up in these parts, the lack of sun being the biggest downer for me, just endless greyness day after day after day.

As for the coming week, definitely could be interesting if we get a good kink in the jet stream and can get in on the plume. As we know, most of the time (*cough* every single time) it ends up in disappointment but interesting to watch at least for heat and lightning potential.

gfs-0-156_swc6.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i'm not home for the next 12 days but the east of Ireland is looking fairly warm for the next week. For home my phone is telling me 19C for tomorrow, 21C for Friday and after that each day getting warmer and rising to 24C by next Monday and sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very wet evening here in kildare with some torrential falls of rain. 7mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest ensembles shows very warm conditions in Dublin from about the 22nd of July and then a rapid cooling trend into August but with some very hot outlying members. I'll be home by 30th of July and have a bad feeling for August, but hopefully things will change.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=12&date=2019-07-17&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest ensembles shows very warm conditions in Dublin from about the 22nd of July and then a rapid cooling trend into August but with some very hot outlying members. I'll be home by 30th of July and have a bad feeling for August, but hopefully things will change.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=12&date=2019-07-17&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

The rapid cooling I find hard to believe. A cooling bias from the gfs maybe. August is too far out in my book.

Anyway, just enjoy the glorious heat and sunshine that the costa del sol offers Gonzo. Try not to worry too much about Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, its been a really poor summer up in these parts, the lack of sun being the biggest downer for me, just endless greyness day after day after day.

And that's exactly the reason why this has been my least favourite summer I have experienced for quite a while. The lack of sun has been extremely noticeable and unlike last year, the amount of "great" sunny days this year I can count on one hand.

10th June had a poor morning with a rain shower and mostly cloudy but the rest of the day after was perfect to me (even if temperatures were suppressed). Pic of that sunny afternoon at the Baldoyle Estuary.

piqR2Fu.jpg

26th June was similar to the 10th June but there was no rain and it was overcast up until the early afternoon then cloud quickly broke up. The rest of the day was excellent. Pic of the afterglow that evening in the Wicklow Mountains.

TZFPDxi.jpg

27th June was beautifully sunny but the easterly wind was fairly breezy and gave off a chill. Pic from St. Anne's Park that evening.

CGSUXFQ.jpg

3rd July was and still is the best day of the summer here in Dublin in my opinion. Low 20s temperature, blue skies for most of the day. Pic from Balbriggan Beach on that day.

a2Dgqtn.jpg

7th July was nice and pleasant. There was a good deal of cloud but it tended to be light and allowed the sun to shine a fair bit throughout the day concluding with a decent mackerel sky (which was a sign of the next day being poor). Pic of the sun shining through the trees from the top of Killiney Hill Park that day.

NUGpVKO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

In fairness there has been very little rain for over 3 weeks now and every day has been around 20-23 degrees. Last summer it was warm and sunny from start of May to nearly end of July. I think the bad weather is really exaggerated here. Admittedly I am referring to Dublin which is always the driest place in Ireland each year but I lived in places like Copenhagen and it rains just as much there.

The likes of Scotland and parts of northern England would be far worse. In Dublin last year there was less than 700mm of rain, that is a lot lower most parts of the UK for example. I know the weather is pretty poor in the UK too but I still think the bad weather is exaggerated

Yes we only get 700mm of rain but it’s the lack of sun, the constant cloud, and average temps that are the issue. Also Irish weather is notoriously unpredictable. You can’t plan anything based on the forecast.

Bad days turn out good and good days turn bad.

Using the annual amount of rainfall means nothing unless you take into account a host of other weather conditions.

It actually rains more in Sydney, London and Dallas than Dublin.

Are you seriously suggesting we’ve a better climate than any of those cities?

compsys wrote: »
    It actually rains more in London than Dublin.

No it doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Seanachai wrote: »
    Grey skies are bad weather in my book, I'd take cold with clear skies any day above what we're having now.

I don't know how to post memes but that Man yells at cloud one comes to mind from the Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Happy to be alive. So no precious energy wasted on grumbling about what cannot be changed ... and the variety is LIFE.

Serendipity; was just through the door after far too long a walk for this old lady when the heavens opened in torrential rain!. I would have got seriously, devastatingly soaked!
    :D

sky pageant of varied grey clouds.. we went to the shore, and all is calm and serene. Just a gentle breeze to cool the face and clear the midges.. Perfection. a perfect morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No it doesn't!

London gets similar rainfall to Dublin, slightly less but not a big difference. According to a friend living there the weather has been nice the last few weeks but they had really bad weather from May to mid June, lots of rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sunny in Arklow this morning
    16c
    Breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lived in London for a few years, winters are pretty similar to Dublin (though far more boring than Ireland) but summers are infinitely better, 20C pretty much guaranteed from late June to late August, plenty of sunshine and the odd thunderstorm.

Comparing rainfall is futile anyway, time spent raining would be a better indicator than mm totals as a 10 minute downpour on an otherwise sunny day can give the same totals as 12 hours of miserable drizzle

As for here in Donegal this morning, dark, grey and wet :)

London gets similar rainfall to Dublin, slightly less but not a big difference. According to a friend living there the weather has been nice the last few weeks but they had really bad weather from May to mid June, lots of rain

London’s average rainfall is about 60% of Dublin’s annually actually which is considerably less
    For every 10 wet days Dublin has London on average has four of those dry

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tomorrow looks horrific
    Next week not much better

• Advertisement

Beautiful sunny morning continues in Arklow
    Currently 18c
    Tomorrow doesn't look nice but we had practically no rain in coastal Wicklow yesterday, we even had some sunny spells,so need rain here
    Some differences for such a tiny island

But then the 'Big' island in Hawaii gets snow probably more often than a lot of us (on its 12k high peak) and it is a very tiny island compared to Ireland
    Its nature that's amazing

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Beautiful sunny morning continues in Arklow
    Currently 18c
    Tomorrow doesn't look nice but we had practically no rain in coastal Wicklow yesterday, we even had some sunny spells,so need rain here
    Some differences for such a tiny island

But then the 'Big' island in Hawaii gets snow probably more often than a lot of us (on its 12k high peak) and it is a very tiny island compared to Ireland
    Its nature that's amazing

I'm sure Carrauntoohil gets its fair share of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lived in London for a few years, winters are pretty similar to Dublin (though far more boring than Ireland) but summers are infinitely better, 20C pretty much guaranteed from late June to late August, plenty of sunshine and the odd thunderstorm.

Same here I was there for a few years. Once summer gets going you get low 20s and better for the bulk of the summer months. It means you can actually dress like it's summer and meet friends in the park etc. at the weekends.
    Anyway it's becoming quite clear to me that sunny weather makes me infinitely happier so I'll be doing my best to spend most of my summers in future further south!

the difference between London and Dublin summers are massive, chalk and cheese really. Look at BBC Weather for the next 10 days for both cities for a good idea of the difference that regularly takes place between end of May and early September.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm sure Carrauntoohil gets its fair share of snow.

Probably,but it doesn't have a road to the top or people working in it so not a populated area
    I was there about 10 years ago, amazing place
    Drove across lava on the island at the time too
    Well recommended

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauna_Kea_Observatories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Graces7 wrote: »
    Happy to be alive. So no precious energy wasted on grumbling about what cannot be changed ... and the variety is LIFE.

Serendipity; was just through the door after far too long a walk for this old lady when the heavens opened in torrential rain!. I would have got seriously, devastatingly soaked!
    :D

sky pageant of varied grey clouds.. we went to the shore, and all is calm and serene. Just a gentle breeze to cool the face and clear the midges.. Perfection. a perfect morning...

God bless your outlook, I know it's futile being vexed over stuff we can't change, but it doesn't stop me from being like a badger in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

RAINFALL WARNING FOR TOMORROW

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford and Westmeath

Rain followed by heavy, possibly thundery downpours could lead to accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with the risk of localised flooding.

Valid: Friday 19 July 2019 08:00 to Friday 19 July 2019 20:00

I do hope we get something in east Wicklow from this other than s passing light shower or two like yesterday
    Lack of rainfall here now is biting

Currently 19.4c in Arklow, lots of Sun
    2 very brief light showers
    Sw 16kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »
    RAINFALL WARNING FOR TOMORROW

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford and Westmeath

Rain followed by heavy, possibly thundery downpours could lead to accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with the risk of localised flooding.

Valid: Friday 19 July 2019 08:00 to Friday 19 July 2019 20:00

saw this earlier and for some reaspn did not " see" Connacht" mentioned.. ah well, it will water the garden for me..

Advertisement