Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

loughside wrote: »
    Has anyone ever counted how many days of their lives have been wasted in this country staring out through the window at the lashing rain whilst our southern continental friends are out and about every day in the glorious sunshine....... it`s gotta run into years? :(

makes you think....

I'd be pro using technology to alter the weather here at this stage, some sort of cloudbusters up on the hills and mountains sending the grey out into the Atlantic :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anyone ever counted how many days of their lives have been wasted in this country staring out through the window at the lashing rain whilst our southern continental friends are out and about every day in the glorious sunshine....... it`s gotta run into years? :(

makes you think....

an indoor day is not wasted... not here anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

In fairness there has been very little rain for over 3 weeks now and every day has been around 20-23 degrees. Last summer it was warm and sunny from start of May to nearly end of July. I think the bad weather is really exaggerated here. Admittedly I am referring to Dublin which is always the driest place in Ireland each year but I lived in places like Copenhagen and it rains just as much there.

The likes of Scotland and parts of northern England would be far worse. In Dublin last year there was less than 700mm of rain, that is a lot lower most parts of the UK for example. I know the weather is pretty poor in the UK too but I still think the bad weather is exaggerated

makes you think....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In fairness there has been very little rain for over 3 weeks now and every day has been around 20-23 degrees. Last summer it was warm and sunny from start of May to nearly end of July. I think the bad weather is really exaggerated here. Admittedly I am referring to Dublin which is always the driest place in Ireland each year but I lived in places like Copenhagen and it rains just as much there.

The likes of Scotland and parts of northern England would be far worse. In Dublin last year there was less than 700mm of rain, that is a lot lower most parts of the UK for example. I know the weather is pretty poor in the UK too but I still think the bad weather is exaggerated

It's more cloud than rain the issue really. I have seen a true lack of clear sunny days this year though a good bit of the hazy sort which is annoying. I guess I can't always complain about the hazy sun though as haze makes for excellent sunsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Grey skies are bad weather in my book, I'd take cold with clear skies any day above what we're having now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well safe to say thats the rest of july down the ****ter,and August will be just,well,you know,August.

Thats the trouble with summers here is you have to wish away so much time untill the next fine day,and before you know the rose of tralee is on(i dont watch it btw,used for comic effect) and your lighting your fire.
    while on the continent they can savor and enjoy every sweltering minute of it,knowing that it will run and run and run,not having to break your neck running out the door when a cloud parts or the temperature scrapes above 20 or e=contently looking out your window and work knowing that the fab weather will still be there at the weekend for your bbq or swim.

steamy hot week for England next week,guess what!!!??? its going to be cool and wet here,would you ever have guessed,well knock me down with a feather.
    i think ill be putting my tanning oil away for a while because mark down in your diary folks,july 17th -the pigmuck and rot sets in.

I love this post. I know the weather isn't that bad in Ireland but I like nothing more than blue skies and warmth and we get shag all of it in Ireland! I'm in Spain for the next while and it just makes everything so much better. Cycling, swimming in the sea, eating outside, golf...
    The fact that it's sunny and warm just makes me so bloody happy so I am moving here as soon as I can stop working and can afford to live somewhere in Iberia! Even in March and November you get lots of days that would be considered a cracking summer's day in Ireland.
    It'll be August shortly and every year August is sh*te.

Also it was raining in Waterford for the world cup final last year with was July 15th, if I remember correctly that was about the end of the nice weather but people seem to go on like it was gorgeous for all the summer months... same way people in Dublin say it's 27c outside when it's really 19c because it reached that temperature in Shannon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Variety is the spice of life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Drier,brighter weather has reached the west coast now. Mild with just a light westerly breeze.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Variety is the spice of life

well for me the weather is crap in Ireland pretty much all the time so no variety for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

well for me the weather is crap in Ireland pretty much all the time so no variety for me!

It isn’t for me . We have had some great days in Dublin this summer and days out with grandkids . Its what you make of them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Each to his own, but I prefer seasons. That's why i would not be too keen on places that have months on end of fine weather. In the same way as much as i love snow, if we were guaranteed it from November to April, it would proably lose its charm for me.

As for fine weather, I think we may appreciate the good days more, when they come do along, than people in climate where fine weather is usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

Started with showers today in Leitrim. Then heavy showers. Followed by light persistent rain. And now, heavy rain.
    Variety indeed. Feck me, I wish I was back in Girona.

Each to his own, but I prefer seasons

I would have thought you're in the wrong country for that! The weather we had in June could have been any time of the year.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It isn’t for me . We have had some great days in Dublin this summer and days out with grandkids . Its what you make of them

Oh I like nothing better than good weather in Dublin and I always make the most of it. I spent a couple of years in Oz and when summer starts it doesn't stop it goes on for months, it's sheer bliss. Here it's a day or two here and there, if you're lucky. Sure we all know what the weather is like here and most Irish people seem to like our climate, but my life improves immensely when it's warm and sunny so I probably should have stayed in Oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would have thought you're in the wrong country for that! The weather we had in June could have been any time of the year.

!

Not at all. I like that we get wind, rain, some sun, and some snow. Also i'm not a fan of really warm weather, so Ireland is the perefect place to live from my perspective!

Not at all. I like that we get wind, rain, some sun, and some snow. Also i'm not a fan of really warm weather, so Ireland is the perefect place to live from my perspective!

I meant our seasons aren't very defined here, as the above can happen almost any time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I love how for the past 3 weeks where it has been warm and dry the moaners disappear and then one rainy day and it’s all doom and gloom again. It has been between 20-23 degrees for the past couple of weeks, it’s not like the weather has been bad!! A few days of rain, big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've seen worse days than today anyway. It's mainly cloudy now and very usable weather in Dublin. Rain earlier was on the light side and on and off. Sun starting to appear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Turning into a nice evening in Castlebar after having nearly 25mm earlier in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a nice, partly sunny evening now in Glasnevin. It's 20C. There was a grand total of 1.2mm of rain recorded here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pouring rain all night, morning and early afternoon in Letterkenny, dried up a few hours ago to leave a passable evening. Still overcast and grey of course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can I give a nod to last Saturday afternoon and Sunday. It was glorious here warmish dry clear blue skies and sunny. Actual proper summers days. So enjoyable to sit outside and enjoy the long evenings. Like someone else said earlier life abroad is for me I just love the sunshine and heat and make no apologies for it. It does tend to wishing the summer away at times and like others I’d be fearful that last weekend is it for us now. Anyway last weekend was bliss. To the weather gods I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gerry on the weather now mentioned a system moving up from the South West on Sunday he said tell you more about it nearer the time , what system is he on about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rain falling in Kildare. Great for the gardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Oh I like nothing better than good weather in Dublin and I always make the most of it. I spent a couple of years in Oz and when summer starts it doesn't stop it goes on for months, it's sheer bliss. Here it's a day or two here and there, if you're lucky. Sure we all know what the weather is like here and most Irish people seem to like our climate, but my life improves immensely when it's warm and sunny so I probably should have stayed in Oz!

Early June was bad but the rest has been fine.

Early June was bad but the rest has been fine.

No it was horrible up until the last week or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

No it was horrible up until the last week or so!

I mean I’ve been cycling and it’s been dry and mostly warm. Sun about normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The earlier partially sunny weather has gone. There's more rain now. A total of 2.2mm now for the day. And the temperature's fallen back to 17.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

I love how for the past 3 weeks where it has been warm and dry the moaners disappear and then one rainy day and it’s all doom and gloom again. It has been between 20-23 degrees for the past couple of weeks, it’s not like the weather has been bad!! A few days of rain, big deal

Woah there. It hasn't been between 20 to 23 where I live. We haven't seen that much sun here. When we saw the sun it was grand but come on dry warm and cloudy in summer was the order here. Not great to me.
    We've also had our share of rain. Unfortunately when I was making hay.
    So please realise the weather in this little island varies from area to area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

OldRio wrote: »
    Woah there. It hasn't been between 20 to 23 where I live. We haven't seen that much sun here. When we saw the sun it was grand but come on dry warm and cloudy in summer was the order here. Not great to me.
    We've also had our share of rain. Unfortunately when I was making hay.
    So please realise the weather in this little island varies from area to area.

Where's here?

Advertisement