Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain total from today's event already 30.2mm here in Galway and with most of that falling during the afternoon with some real prolonged and intense falls:

Eyjql3r.png

2nd time in two days that I have recorded a daily rainfall total above 30mm. Hard to believe there was a mini drought here during the first half of the month here locally.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Been generally gloomy and dry in Dublin up until the past hour or so, been lashing since. Worst day of what has been an ok July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Properly dismal day in Cork, overcast and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

As bad as any day in the middle of winter...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Watching the golf with a little hangover. No guilt as Rain is hopping of the window . Perfect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Is it just me, or is this the dullest summer ever? Even on warmer days there is always some cloud cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Emme wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is this the dullest summer ever? Even on warmer days there is always some cloud cover.

Not even close to the dullest summer.

I’m sure sryan will back that up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Worst summer day in Galway for a long time heavy rain and very strong winds since lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Emme wrote: »

The part that stands out for me is how warm it is despite being dull.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Possible heatwave for UK and western Europe coming up this week?

https://twitter.com/UKWX_/status/1153017459106091010?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Torrential rain and wind in east Galway all day. I can't remember a day during last winter like this. Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    2nd time in two days that I have recorded a daily rainfall total above 30mm..
    Now the 2nd time in two days that I have recorded a daily rainfall total in excess of 35mm. Increasingly dirty and sickly feel to the air. :(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I think statistically it has been quite dull.

Not quite the dullest but quite poor, particularly in the East.

This summer even with high pressure right over us we’ve been stuck under a blanket of cloud some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For most, it hasn't been that dull a start to summer compared to a good few of the past (like 1980, 1981, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1994, 2002) and even if you encompass May into the equation, it remains the same (Dublin Airport where I am being an exception as it had been very dull up to second week of July and even duller than the same period in 2012... been somewhat of an improvement since) as the country generally had a sunny May.

Most reminisce about the 80s being an amazing decade weather wise which I'm sure it was for the events that went on like the summers of 83, 84, 89; the big snow of 82 and the thunderstorm of 25 July 1985. However, it was the dullest decade of the 20th century in terms of sunshine for Ireland which was helped significantly so by the generally dull summers. 1980 and 1981 were exceptionally dull summers with records not beaten to present day (and 1983 is still the dullest year on record for most despite the hot and dry summer). Claremorris had a truly shocking summer (June to August) sunshine total of 235.9 hrs in Summer 1980... that's an average of 2.6 hrs of sun per day! Cork Airport had its dullest summer on record that year too with 353.0 hrs (2012 was just 4 hours sunnier for context of recent standards).

Think it's too early to compare with the dullest summers historically as we still have August to go (which is usually quite a cloudy month anyway). A good few stations don't have daily sunshine totals available in the public domain so I cannot compare June 1st to present sunshine totals generally (except Shannon Airport, Cork Airport, Dublin Airport and Casement Aerodrome).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wet and windy in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is the drought over ?
    Are we allowed hot or even just dry weather again ?
    In July
    I’m asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

Poor Tuff are getting a soaking. Have half of them home and dont really want to start having to clamp them. Weather outlook is not great for the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It took me years but now I take every good day as it comes . We get up and see a sunny morning we use it
    We get a good dry afternoon we use it . I watch the weather online and plan .
    Maybe that is the key as I find this summer actually grand . We have been in the garden a lot , planned days out according to the weather and stayed in and did jobs when it rains
    Being retired helps !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It took me years but now I take every good day as it comes . We get up and see a sunny morning we use it
    Maybe that is the key as I find this summer actually grand . We have been in the garden a lot , planned days out according to the weather and stayed in and did jobs when it rains
    Being retired helps !

I do the same, got lots done this morning. I find if you get up early you can make a lot out of a day, showers usually don’t kick off til late morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Stormy like conditions now in Galway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belting rain against the windows and 19 degrees @ 10pm. Thought id the heating on for a minute

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

18C and near full humidity.
    Sweating!

It's been a very muggy summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just opened the door to throw out a spider and couldn't believe how warm it is out, feels almost tropical. Actually warmer outside than in the house which is quite bizarre on a miserable dark night at 11pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A miserable day in Castlebar, 95% plus humidity all day and nearly 35mm of rain, two rumbles of thunder in the morning was the only high point.

It's still pouring rain out and is currently just shy of 19C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Being retired helps !

I think you answered your own question when you said being retired helps!

When you work full time, Monday to Friday, and commute long hours you often only have two or three hours of daylight, even in summer, to enjoy as well as the weekends.

So you simply don't have the opportunity to jump at every nice bit of weather we get.

July looks like it's going to be very average in terms of temps in Ireland which is insane when you consider there's record breaking heat everywhere. And June was one of the warmest months on record globally. Not that you'd know it in Ireland.

You have to laugh sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Just opened the door to throw out a spider and couldn't believe how warm it is out, feels almost tropical. Actually warmer outside than in the house which is quite bizarre on a miserable dark night at 11pm!

Wow your not wrong..Just checked and it's 19.4C at Danno's Laois webiste..http://www.laoisweather.com/... BBQ time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Currently 18.2c in Arklow and windy at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Very warm and windy also in Swords. All the items i have hung up on nails in the alley are falling down, like watering can, tennis, rackets etc.. I've had to take them all down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Warm and Windy night in Kildare 19c

Advertisement