Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

acequion wrote: »
    Arrived back this morning into Shannon to the most utterly crap weather imaginable and everywhere totally waterlogged. :eek:

Yet I log on here and the denial brigade and the "Shur Ireland has grand weather" brigade are still singing off the same hymn sheet :rolleyes:

Yet while in Spain I spoke to many from Britain, northern France and Belgium who all had one thing in common, dire August weather back in their neck of the woods. Yet our east coasters further over via Atlantic would have us believing in the micro climate of costa del arklow or costa del bray or costa del south dublin or wherever. Ya right :rolleyes: Maybe they have a vastly different notion of good weather.

And tonight have the heating belting here in Tralee!

Now for all that am actually delighted to be back home. Never anywhere like home. And guess I'll rub a few people up the wrong way with my remarks about all this supposed great weather over east. But sorry guys, am a bit skeptical!

Suit yourself , we enjoyed this summer in south Dublin with lots of good days and some bad . We had many days in lovely sunshine in the garden with the pool out for grandkids . A huge crop of strawberries and many evenings sitting out to enjoy the warmth and light
    You being skeptical really doesn’t change that .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Suit yourself , we enjoyed this summer in south Dublin with lots of good days and some bad . We had many days in lovely sunshine in the garden with the pool out for grandkids . A huge crop of strawberries and many evenings sitting out to enjoy the warmth and light
    You being skeptical really doesn’t change that .

Definitely.

Hasn't been a summer to "write home about" but far from miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Wow wow wow but some people are so touchy when challenged about their great weather!

And yes I saw that post questioning the so called great east coast weather. From a poster who I'd heed, as this poster also loves proper summer weather. In fact I, myself experienced poor weather in Dublin airport in early August, yet this thread was full of gushing enthusiasts same day.

So not accusing you guys of lying but maybe we don't all concur on what defines decent weather! And yes I know ye get it much better than we do in the west but I still wouldn't be spending the hols on yer costas, sorry.

And like many people, my overall view of summer 2019 wouldn't be that positive, though with a decent July,it wasn't that bad either. Around a 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild and wondrously wet out here, and another gale warning out for today. already howling; west mayo offshore island.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wow wow wow but some people are so touchy when challenged about their great weather!

And yes I saw that post questioning the so called great east coast weather. From a poster who I'd heed, as this poster also loves proper summer weather. In fact I, myself experienced poor weather in Dublin airport in early August, yet this thread was full of gushing enthusiasts same day.

So not accusing you guys of lying but maybe we don't all concur on what defines decent weather! And yes I know ye get it much better than we do in the west but I still wouldn't be spending the hols on yer costas, sorry.

And like many people, my overall view of summer 2019 wouldn't be that positive, though with a decent July,it wasn't that bad either. Around a 5/10.

I suppose it's down to personal preference

For me this summer has been perfect, not a fan of the heat so it's been good. Also like the rain in summer. I know I might be mad

I do wonder is there any point giving out about it though, it can't be changed !

Well, unless people move to a hotter country

Looking forward now to cold and dark mornings and evenings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Another nice and sunny morning here with clear almost blue skies. It's 13.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Rained all day yesterday in Galway, over in Cardiff this morning and nice bright morning. Not looking forward to the ferry crossing later looking at the wind forecast on the Irish Sea...

Carol25 wrote: »
    Rained all day yesterday in Galway, over in Cardiff this morning and nice bright morning. Not looking forward to the ferry crossing later looking at the wind forecast on the Irish Sea...

Ouch! Maybe they will cancel..

Wild here. Managed a short walk before the gale etc hit. Rain battering the windows now so snugged in. No way am lighting the stove in August..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Nobody has ever suggested people could holiday on the east coast of Ireland as an alternative to Spain- I don’t expect Spanish weather to equate to ‘good’ weather. I live in Ireland! However, low rain fall and warm temps with a decent amount of sunshine is a decent Irish summer. You live over 300 k from me on the door step of the Atlantic, I don’t doubt you have had a bad summer. I have had them in the past luckily this one wasn’t too bad at all. As you have rightly said maybe it’s perceptions of what good weather entails. I just cannot understand why it annoys you and a few others so much that other have had some decent weather this year that you resort to calling them out on it- weird?

Ps if it makes you feel better I can report that the weather here in Wicklow was awful yesterday- heavy showers and cool. If that is what you’ve experienced all summer I’m not surprised you’re touchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloudy and breezy but mild enough (not warm by any stretch of the imagination) in Dublin 8. The clear skies being reported about 45 minutes ago in east Dublin city must have been only viewing out in an easterly direction as the skies in Dublin 8 were mostly cloudy 30 minutes ago with just some blue in the fairly distant east, over the Irish Sea and perhaps right along the coast......cloudy throughout Dublin now, in any case with extreme haze being the best in any part of the city at this point and it's downhill from now on.

• Advertisement

The sun is still shining here in Glasnevin although the sky has gone hazy. It's not warm but it's not particularly cool either. It's 15.2C here now. It's not partiucularly breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Rain just starting in Galway city, with plenty more to come by the looks of the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hazy sunshine quickly disappearing here in Kildare

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The sun is still shining here in Glasnevin although the sky has gone hazy. It's not warm but it's not particularly cool either. It's 15.2C here now. It's not partiucularly breezy.

I have to correct that - there is a bit of a stiff southerly breeze. The sunshine's hazy now. It's 15.6C and doesn't feel particularly cool. I was out in a tee-shirt but not shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cloudy and breezy in meath this morning, around 10mm of rain since lunchtime yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nobody claimed it was like the costas here . But posting that you are skeptical of our description of our summer is bound to irritate .
    I have a sister in West Cork , not far from the Kerry border and we chat often , the weather there this year has not been like ours on the east coast .One day she rang me and we were putting suncream on the grandkids in the National Stud in beautiful sunshine , she could not get as far as her shed to get potatoes in was so wet and wild . Another day we chatted and we were on the beach with kids paddling and playing on a warm and slightly cloudy day while they had mist and hair curling drizzle all day .This happened a few times but neither of us were skeptical of the others description as we understood Irelands weather can vary so much .
    On the other hand we spent a lovely few days in Mayo and the weather was grey in the mornings and then beautiful sunshine in the afternoon and evening for three days, the same three days were wet in Dublin .
    Personally I am happy with this summer , we got out most day , we sat out with family a lot of evenings , we had cloud sometimes but it was warm and pleasant . That for me is enough , of I want 30 odd degrees I know where to find it on the Med , but i am happier in our gentler warmth anyway

PS , I remember your post about the airport and read it sitting out my back garden in pleasant warm breeze .

As wild a day as.... just wild gale wind and constant deluge. I guess we are splendidly cut off! Love it!
    Hay is all in, all safe so "let loose the hounds of war".

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Persistent heavy rain in Castlebar this morning with a max gust of 71 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A miserable 12 degrees and heavy rain. Horrible morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Absolutely dire in Tralee. My idea of a summer's day from hell.:(

• Advertisement

The lights are flickering... nothing is battened down out there so there will be fun. And plenty of cut flowers for the house as this is a southerly.

Fascinating. Always something new and dramatic. New horizons; not that there are any horizons just now; water in every direction! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its been raining in Galway for most of August, August 2nd was a great day at the opening of All Together Now Festival but since the 3rd I've seen rain every day, maybe one or two dry days in Galway at most, but a pretty brutal August it has to be said. Crossing my fingers that it clears up a bit when I hit Stradbally next week to work Electric Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I repeat

More rain in Galway this month than the previous nine combined

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Its been raining in Galway for most of August, August 2nd was a great day at the opening of All Together Now Festival but since the 3rd I've seen rain every day, maybe one or two dry days in Galway at most, but a pretty brutal August it has to be said. Crossing my fingers that it clears up a bit when I hit Stradbally next week to work Electric Picnic.

It's not just that it rained every day, we've had several deluges each day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I repeat

More rain in Galway this month than the previous nine combined

I do not think you have had over 700mm of rain this month, easily over 200mm of rain has fallen in some parts of Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

March was wetter for most than August up to 20th (Athenry and Casement Aerodrome being some exceptions) but many totals are getting close to equaling or beating March rainfalls. With an Irish rainfall of 105.1mm, it is currently the wettest August since 2014 (107.2mm) and wettest month since March (141.4mm). Provisional summer rainfall total up to August 20th is 253.1mm which is only the wettest since 2017 but time to change.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Absolutely dire in Tralee. My idea of a summer's day from hell.:(

Dry so far in Dublin....I gather ye country folk are sending up a biblical flood later?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not a nice day here in West Clare, been a very wet month, however it's certainly not the worst day we've had, not even close. Windless and not particularly cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Breezy and starting to rain now. Overcast all day. Sorry if this offends people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Pissing rain yet again in North Kildare. It's official for me - one of the worst summers in recent memory. Feels like a winter's day.

Advertisement