Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one of the coldest days we've had since the June cold spell. Rain mostly light, but some heavy bursts from time to time.

A big improvement in the weather from Thursday and spells of sunshine and temperatures reaching 20C or slightly above. Will be a nice change after the past few unsettled days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cloudless blue skies and sunshine on way to work in Dublin this morning, glorious walk over the Sean O Casey bridge to far side of Liffey. BUT I think this rain you're all talking about will be on the East coast on the way home !

ah lucky you! ;) Still on and off deluges here; west mayo offshore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Dirty old day in Dublin central. Rain and cold.

Who said we were getting 25c heat and clear skies this week?
    They were lying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah would you ever stop moaning ffs!!!! :P

Rain and cold today, Tuesday, does not mean that 25c could be reached later in the week.....not saying it will but it could well be pushing into the mid 20's by Friday. I don't recall reading anything about clear skies though. Can you post up your source about clear skies being forecasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There was some hazy sunshine here just now. 1.2mm rain recorded to now. It's 15.6C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it should be decent in Dublin and surrounding areas from Thursday, with temperatures around the 19 to 24C range, warmest on Friday and staying in the low 20's till about next Tuesday, after that it is uncertain what will happen. Should be a fairly pleasant, dry and warm weekend in Dublin, high probability of it turning cooler and unsettled again later next week, so best to make the most of this warm spell before Autumn rolls in.

Looks like the likes of Sallins and possibly Naas is getting a right hammering of rain at the moment and due to the orientation of the very heavy rain, it may lead to flooding.

The N7 from Naas to around Rathcoole look like areas you wouldn't be having a pleasant drive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Biblical rain in naas. Flooding everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

pad199207 wrote: »
    Heavy falls of rain in Kildare now

14mm / hour on naas weather www

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice sunny morning in Donegal but back to normal since mid afternoon with heavy rain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

12 degrees and raining. There’s not much to say about how utterly average and at times rubbish this summer has been here.

If your area of the country gets the warm weather that is forecast for later in the week and for next weekend, will you be posting some positive comments for a change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If your area of the country gets the warm weather that is forecast for later in the week and for next weekend, will you be posting some positive comments for a change?

I always post when we get nice weather. Not sure what your point is. Typical of this place and the passive aggressive stuff that goes on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I always post when we get nice weather. Not sure what your point is. Typical of this place and the passive aggressive stuff that goes on here.

:confused:

Between 35-45mm of rain was recorded at a number of stations in Naas this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes the last 10 days have been disappointing in south Dublin but we enjoyed a good July and looks like next week will be something to look forward to
    Very few days this year where we didn’t get at least a dry morning or dry evening

The key is to watch the forecast and plan accordingly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    Between 35-45mm of rain was recorded at a number of stations in Naas this afternoon

There was flooding at Woodies in Naas. The water was over the curb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I don't really care what you call it. The fact is that I can count on one hand (and still have fingers left over) the number of weather related positive comments you have made since the start of summer. Contrast that with all the negative posts. Granted this year has not been in any way comparable with what we had in Summer 2018 but it has not been anywhere near as bad as what you have made it out to be.

Lucreto wrote: »
    There was flooding at Woodies in Naas. The water was over the curb.

Yeah the road was closed for a good while. Cars couldn’t get through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Tomorrow to be a washout apparently with summer mark 2 starting thurs or Fri for a day or so....
    Hey Ho...
    Been looking at property in Spain....I think it's time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I don't really care what you call it. The fact is that I can count on one hand (and still have fingers left over) the number of weather related positive comments you have made since the start of summer. Contrast that with all the negative posts. Granted this year has not been in any way comparable with what we had in Summer 2018 but it has not been anywhere near as bad as what you have made it out to be.

I’m the only one who’s making out it’s a bad summer am I? I’ve said countless times what I’ve thought about this summer. June bad save an ok last week an average July and a bad August. What do you want me to say exactly? That its been a beautiful summer with great weather and endless balmy nights? If you don’t like the posts stick me on ignore or skip past them but quit the personal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Zipppy wrote: »
    Tomorrow to be a washout apparently with summer mark 2 starting thurs or Fri for a day or so....
    Hey Ho...
    Been looking at property in Spain....I think it's time...

You’d miss the rain though. Constant sunshine gets boring too. It’s some weird thing built into Irish dna. We have to have variation and both extremes. Otherwise we’d have nothing to chit chat about.

*quick aside. What do people in constantly sunny climes talk about? On these islands default setting is grumbling about the weather! Do they do that in Phoenix or Adelaide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

You’d miss the rain though. Constant sunshine gets boring too. It’s some weird thing built into Irish dna. We have to have variation and both extremes. Otherwise we’d have nothing to chit chat about.

*quick aside. What do people in constantly sunny climes talk about? On these islands default setting is grumbling about the weather! Do they do that in Phoenix or Adelaide?

Spain? Unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining since about 7.30 here in Meath, seems to be just 1 slow moving blob sitting over us, by looking at the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Was in Austria in a blistering heat wave , they moaned about the heat , the wasps , the ants , the flowers dying , the elderly suffering from the heat .etc

I’m the only one who’s making out it’s a bad summer am I? I’ve said countless times what I’ve thought about this summer. June bad save an ok last week an average July and a bad August. What do you want me to say exactly? That its been a beautiful summer with great weather and endless balmy nights? If you don’t like the posts stick me on ignore or skip past them but quit the personal stuff.

I'm with you on this. Overall, summer has been pretty poor. Definitely on lower end of the scale in terms of summers. Not horrific/terrible but nothing great.

highdef wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. Overall, summer has been pretty poor. Definitely on lower end of the scale in terms of summers. Not horrific/terrible but nothing great.

Where are you based ? And Clonmel1000 I assume is in Clonmel :D?
    Cos the North East had a really good Summer. I live a few miles from Bettystown and it’s been a really lovely Summer, lots of sunshine, heat, swimming in the sea the last 6 weeks, plants did really well, never got caught out in showers, was up in Mournes hiking lots and it was all dry weather there too. Summer 2019 was all about location location location

Where are you based ? And Clonmel1000 I assume is in Clonmel :D?
    Cos the North East had a really good Summer. I live a few miles from Bettystown and it’s been a really lovely Summer, lots of sunshine, heat, swimming in the sea the last 6 weeks, plants did really well, never got caught out in showers, was up in Mournes hiking lots and it was all dry weather there too. Summer 2019 was all about location location location
    North Kildare, 40km west of the Dublin coastline. Do you live a few km north or south of Bettystown or are you further inland?

I'm originally from coastal Dublin and it's almost always sunnier there than further inland albeit a fair colder when the wind is off the sea.

I do miss the decent amounts of sunshine where I live now compared to my hometown (when there's an onshore breeze) but the warmer weather inland, away from the sea breeze, is a whole better as I detest cool breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Arrived back this morning into Shannon to the most utterly crap weather imaginable and everywhere totally waterlogged. :eek:

Yet I log on here and the denial brigade and the "Shur Ireland has grand weather" brigade are still singing off the same hymn sheet :rolleyes:

Yet while in Spain I spoke to many from Britain, northern France and Belgium who all had one thing in common, dire August weather back in their neck of the woods. Yet our east coasters further over via Atlantic would have us believing in the micro climate of costa del arklow or costa del bray or costa del south dublin or wherever. Ya right :rolleyes: Maybe they have a vastly different notion of good weather.

And tonight have the heating belting here in Tralee!

Now for all that am actually delighted to be back home. Never anywhere like home. And guess I'll rub a few people up the wrong way with my remarks about all this supposed great weather over east. But sorry guys, am a bit skeptical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That was the coldest day of the month so far - the high was only 16.7C at midday. It wasn't actually the coldest of the summer - there were some considerably colder days in June!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

acequion wrote: »
    Arrived back this morning into Shannon to the most utterly crap weather imaginable and everywhere totally waterlogged. :eek:

Yet I log on here and the denial brigade and the "Shur Ireland has grand weather" brigade are still singing off the same hymn sheet :rolleyes:

Yet while in Spain I spoke to many from Britain, northern France and Belgium who all had one thing in common, dire August weather back in their neck of the woods. Yet our east coasters further over via Atlantic would have us believing in the micro climate of costa del arklow or costa del bray or costa del south dublin or wherever. Ya right :rolleyes: Maybe they have a vastly different notion of good weather.

And tonight have the heating belting here in Tralee!

Now for all that am actually delighted to be back home. Never anywhere like home. And guess I'll rub a few people up the wrong way with my remarks about all this supposed great weather over east. But sorry guys, am a bit skeptical!

‘Denial brigade’ seriously?
    Nobody has said August has been great- first week decent on the east coast, after that it’s been poor. Why do people feel the need to question if people are lying if they give a positive synopsis of the summer thus far in their area? We had somebody else on here on Sunday saying they experienced the famous ‘east coast’ summer when they visited on Sunday.... they were basically claiming that because the weather wasn’t great on Sunday that was how it had been all summer and anybody with something positive to say about their experiences on this summers weather were lying!
    It’s a small country with big variances in weather. If it makes you better to think people are bull ****ing you fair enough- whatever gets you through.
    Welcome home:)

Advertisement