Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

HighLine wrote: »
    Another fine day here in Wicklow. Cloudy but 20c in light winds. Summer has been very good here thankfully.

Here in Meath, the past 4 days have been awful, lots of drizzle and some heavy bursts from time to time. Today was meant to be nice but sadly hasn't worked out that way. It's starting to brightnen up here now but there is still some drizzle falling. The next 5 days looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

HighLine wrote: »
    Another fine day here in Wicklow. Cloudy but 20c in light winds. Summer has been very good here thankfully.

Very different in Dublin city. Cloudy/dull and very breezy. Quite mild but far from fine. A bit depressing with the lack of sun here.

I think Met Eireann terms fine as a cloudless sky, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

we've been very unlucky this summer in Cork City / west cork where I was for summer. Cloudy most times, some nice evenings only but not always. Average temps and quite wet and if it wasn't then heavy showers so can't plan anything.

Cloudy today now again in the City and warm enough. Same as km though, the weathers just been cloudy for so long I gave up on posting weather reports for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

highdef wrote: »
    Very different in Dublin city. Cloudy/dull and very breezy. Quite mild but far from fine. A bit depressing with the lack of sun here.

I think Met Eireann terms fine as a cloudless sky, IIRC.

Oh I didn't mention Met Eireann. Fine in my terms.

Next few days also looking nice. Beach weather hopefully on Sunday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain finally stopped, if we can get the sun in the next hour I can see temperatures rising to 20C or above.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a sharp contrast between how different people here are affected by the wet weather. I suspect some of it is to do with location, if you live in inner Dublin or any town for example, a week of watching water drip from concrete and asphalt can cause a negative mood. By contrast, if you live with a view of mountains, sky, woodlands or ocean, a wet day can be quite beautiful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This August spell is getting me down, I'm praying and crossing my fingers that we get some decent weather for Stradbally and Electric Picnic, would it be worthwhile to put up an Electric Picnic weather watch thread in this forum.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

we've been very unlucky this summer in Cork City / west cork where I was for summer. Cloudy most times, some nice evenings only but not always. Average temps and quite wet and if it wasn't then heavy showers so can't plan anything.

Cloudy today now again in the City and warm enough. Same as km though, the weathers just been cloudy for so long I gave up on posting weather reports for here.
    Exactly what I had most of the summer (counting second half of May) up to mid-July. I just want it to end already (though this August has been good for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I’ve been too depressed with the weather to even bother posting
    It’s been absolutely AWFUL all month
    Lawn is almost beyond cutting now
    First time ever I’m going to have to get someone in to do it with a ride on

But the worst thing is ........the promised good spells just haven’t materialized
    “It’s going to be lovely from tomorrow on “
    Looks out window
    Not lovely
    No doubt it will rain at weekend again

That’s been my reality
    Don’t care if it’s negative that’s the way it is
    Dreadful

Yr.no now showing rain (light ) ALL day and night Saturday
    Then heavy rain Tuesday again

km79 wrote: »
    Yr.no now showing rain (light ) ALL day and night Saturday
    Then heavy rain Tuesday again

This warm spell is definitely downgraded for Ireland, not as warm in the east as I had hoped with the real heat concentrated over the UK. The western half of Ireland could have showers all the way to Sunday, so we seem to be the battle ground between the Atlantic and the high pressure.

Tomorrow there could be some showers in western parts, but they look light and well scattered.

arpegeuk-1-35-0.png?22-13

Saturday looks wet across the west with heavy showers or longer spells of rain.

arpegeuk-1-58-0.png?22-13

Sunday and Monday appear to be the best days for the west which could be completely dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wont be so fine in the West according to this forecast from ME
    Outlook

Friday night winds will fall light with mist and fog developing. Generally dry over much of the country but outbreaks of rain and drizzle along Atlantic coasts will spread further inland by morning. Mild and humid with lowest temperatures of 12 to 15 degrees in light to moderate south to southeast breezes.

Saturday will be a warm day but quite mixed in terms of cloud and sunshine. In the east it will be mainly dry at first with some sunny spells. Western coastal counties will tend to be cloudier with outbreaks of showery rain which will spread further eastwards during the afternoon but becoming more fragmented and patchy later in the evening. Highest temperatures of 19 to 23 degrees, mildest in the east, in light south to southeasterly breezes.

Saturday night will be mainly dry with just the odd spot of drizzle. Staying mild overnight with lows of just 13 to 15 degrees, in light variable breezes.

Sunday will be mostly dry with some sunny spells but later sunshine might become a little hazy as a warm front is likely to approach from the Atlantic with a few spots of rain or drizzle affecting Atlantic coastal counties. It will stay warm with top temperatures reaching 19 to 23 degrees in just light variable breezes.

Sunday night will be dry with lows of 10 to 12 degrees in light breezes.

Monday will overall be mostly dry with some patchy drizzle or light rain, mainly in the west and north. It will continue warm as temperatures of 19 to 22 degrees.

Tuesday outbreaks of rain are likely to affect Atlantic coastal counties at first and spread further eastwards later. Top temperatures are likely to stay in the high teens to low twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny here now, although a bit hazy. It's also 19.9C which is the closest it's come to 20 in almost a week.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's mostly sunny here now, although a bit hazy. It's also 19.9C which is the closest it's come to 20 in almost a week.

It's 20.1C now. Maybe the summer's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Oh my god, the sun has appeared briefly in North Kildare!! Come back, we've missed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

There seems to be a sharp contrast between how different people here are affected by the wet weather. I suspect some of it is to do with location, if you live in inner Dublin or any town for example, a week of watching water drip from concrete and asphalt can cause a negative mood. By contrast, if you live with a view of mountains, sky, woodlands or ocean, a wet day can be quite beautiful to watch.

I would argue the opposite. If you're in an urban environment, there's lots to be getting on with regardless of the weather. In rural locations, not so much.

I'm never one to be affected by the weather but this recent spell has gotten to me. I have loads of outdoor stuff I want to do but it has been just too miserable to step outside the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    This warm spell is definitely downgraded for Ireland, not as warm in the east as I had hoped with the real heat concentrated over the UK. The western half of Ireland could have showers all the way to Sunday, so we seem to be the battle ground between the Atlantic and the high pressure.

Tomorrow there could be some showers in western parts, but they look light and well scattered.

arpegeuk-1-35-0.png?22-13

Saturday looks wet across the west with heavy showers or longer spells of rain.

arpegeuk-1-58-0.png?22-13

Sunday and Monday appear to be the best days for the west which could be completely dry.

Oh ffs

Ardent wrote: »
    Oh my god, the sun has appeared briefly in North Kildare!! Come back, we've missed you!

still cloudy and wet in South Meath, however the rain has stopped, hopefully the sun will break through before night fall. Very disappointing today considering the forecast for dryer and sunny conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

So today was supposed to be the start of the 'nice' weather. This translated into a dull drizzlely day that tipped 20 degrees.

FFS only on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

At least it was only drizzle all day today in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful day in Donegal once again, pouring rain most of the day with heavy mist and low visibility. Lights on all day at work.

I've already had three holidays this summer and feel like I need another already, depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Huge improvement now in Dublin. . Sun is out and feeling much warmer . Nice to see it back

It's a great evening here in Glasnevin. It's mostly sunny, fairly breezy but at least the breeze is warm. The high today was 21.0C a short while ago. Hope this keeps up for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Long drive yesterday from the sunny south east, (in which it was misty, rainy and windy) all across the country. Much the same nationwide, more of clearance later in the west, left behind a beautiful day in Cardiff. Is it me or are these ‘wet/dry’ weather spells more prolonged?

Brightening up a little .......

brightened up a little here now with a few seconds of hazy sunshine, too late to save the day tho.

I CAN SEE THE SUN

LOL it’s gone again
    But it’s there. At least I know it’s still there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Traveled down to Tipp this afternoon. Lovely evening in Cahir. Was 22 degrees and sunny passing through Clonmel- looks like it’s been a great summer here judging by my experience today ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sideswipe wrote: »
    Traveled down to Tipp this afternoon. Lovely evening in Cahir. Was 22 degrees and sunny passing through Clonmel- looks like it’s been a great summer here judging by my experience today ;):)

It was nice evening up until about an hour ago. It’s cloudy and dull since but lovely and mild. Maybe I’ve been lying all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ah I’d never accuse you of that. The in-laws down here are quick enough to complain about the weather this summer!

• Advertisement

It's a lovely night here in Glasnevin. It's still 18.2C.

Advertisement