Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What a rotten day here in Cork.

At least it was drier in the evening/night.

Rotten day otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Biblical rain here in the East

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashing rain in meath this morning, looks set for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An autumnal chill in the early air... Grey and dim and cold out there , picking the first of the wild blackberries. A sharp breeze but dry so far..
    Intensely quiet now the hay is in and the summer events are over,,,West Mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just shows that the early part of the summer wasn't so bad when you see now how rubbish an Irish summer can actually get!

Has August become a solidly mediocre month in terms of Summer weather? Probably my memory but can't recall a good one in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just shows that the early part of the summer wasn't so bad when you see now how rubbish an Irish summer can actually get!

Has August become a solidly mediocre month in terms of Summer weather? Probably my memory but can't recall a good one in recent years

I had to wear gloves cycling in the middle of June, so it was even worse then. This is shocking though, 10th of August and any sign of summer gone, not that we really had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's not too bad here in Glasnevin this morning. It's quite mild and a bit breezy but there's a distinct lack of sunshine. It's currently 18.6C. It was a warm night, with a low of only 16.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Must be in a bit of an eye of this thing currently in North Dublin.. blue skies and a very intense sun.. air very warm. It'll hardly last. Clouds on four sides.

Lashing rain in meath this morning, looks set for the day

Would appear so. 6Z HIRLAM has a band of rain developing over the Midlands and East which only begins to move in a SE direction in the evening time, clearing into the Irish Sea sometime after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There has been a notable shift in August weather since 2006. After the very warm June and hot July in 2006, August completely deteriorated that year with a -NAO setting in. It was a significant change on July with much cooler and wetter conditions although these being more notable for other parts of western Europe as parts of Ireland didn't have it too bad. However, the main interest here is the fact that a -NAO set in which was the exception rather than the norm in Augusts from 1989 to 2005 (a period of several exceptional Augusts like 1990, 1995, 1997 and 2003). Whilst it's not just August that has seen an increase in -NAO since 2006 with many months since Summer 2007 from all seasons seeing -NAO, August has seen the most impacts from -NAO.

I did a little analysis recently on Twitter on comparing Augusts 1994-2005 to 2006-2018. I first did this using Central England Temperature (CET) max and CET min data. There was an interesting run of consecutive Augusts with a CET mean max at 20.0c or more from 1994 to 2005 but since, we have seen a reduction though improving somewhat again recently. CET mean min has remained rather stationary, not much change compared to the 90s/00s.

BtNrjS0.png

The contrast is greatly shown by reanalysis with Augusts in the 1994-2005 period tending to be anticyclonic or blocking over Scandinavia and favouring easterly winds. If we take 1995 out (the exceptional hot and dry August), the Scandi High signal increases a lot.

eAy70gS.pngxWUR5vu.png

Augusts in the period 2006-2018 have tended to be much more unsettled with little signal of the Scandi High from the previous period. Anomalous below average heights over top of the UK and Ireland with a bit of Greenland blocking too. No wonder why August has been poor!

M7gZhfU.png

Whether this is the result of low solar activity giving a higher risk of -NAO or Arctic amplification helping the blocking and it just happened to be occurring in August is unknown. Maybe a coincidence for all we know as some decades favour certain weather for a month of the year like the 1940s with warm Aprils and cold Januaries, 1960s with cold Decembers or 1980s with mild Decembers, 1990s with warm Augusts etc. Contrast to Julys which have tended to be warm this decade, 2010 (even if very wet), 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2019.

We often hear that summers aren't as great as they used to be. Well as many on here would have experienced the Augusts of the 90s and the 80s to a lesser extent (considering Augusts 1985 and 1986 were exceptionally poor) when they were younger, maybe this saying holds some light here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible morning here in Meath, very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Was expecting today to be a write off.its nice and dry and warm here in Castlebar

Seriously milling down now in Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Now the May to July 2019 NAO value is the most negative it has been on record. Unless we see a dramatic change in the second half, there’s a strong possibility that the Summer NAO (June to August 2019) might be the most negative on record too. The complete opposite to 2018 which broke records for positive NAO.
    So, a big Azores/Iberia high of 1040hpa from December to February is now a certainty! Nothing scientific in my prediction but it just has to happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mixture of sunshine and clouds here in West cork, dry though. Really strong winds however and still a really rough sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's not too bad here with some sunshine and the odd heavy shower. There's been 1.2mm recorded since before midnight. It's currently 18.4C. The high so far was 18.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

July wasn’t to bad June was poor though. Is August even Summer? May certainly isn’t. The Irish summer is probably the end of June and July.

i would class may as late spring...and summer as june, july, august and with luck an indian summer in sept

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lovely fresh wind out here. Went a walk in the field with the cats and it was wondrously invigorating. The humidity has dispelled ... some rain now and cloud, but a grand change.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cloudy in Dublin 5 with some heavy showers earlier. Roll on November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

awful here in Meath, dark, cool, wet and windy, could easily be October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yesterday was awful down here,relentless train of showers

Today wasn't too bad,some spits of rain at times but mostly bright in a warm and gusty wind hitting above 60kmh :eek:

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1160264307155832832?s=19

horrific evening in Dunshaughlin, downpour after downpour, water running down sides of street and spray everywhere, one of the dirtiest days of 2019 for sure. Side roads partially flooded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I take it we're writing off the rest of the summer. It won't settle down again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    awful here in Meath, dark, cool, wet and windy, could easily be October.

Yep same here in North Dublin. Planning on going to zoo + couldn't for past two days. We have actually had nicer weather in October! We often go to zoo in winter. I'm not fussy don't mind cold weather but can't stand wet + windy.

Terrible though that in summer can't get to zoo with bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Near enough the wettest 5/6 hours I can recall in Dundalk. Rained heavy and continuously from 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

My nephew was born in October last year and my sister said it was 18 degrees the day they came out of hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Today was one of the worst days I have seen in Galway for a very long time torrential rain roads flooded and it's still raining lightly at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Today was one of the worst days I have seen in Galway for a very long time torrential rain roads flooded and it's still raining lightly at the moment

Wettest day of 2019 here anway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Wettest day of 2019 here anway

Forgot to add no yellow warning

• Advertisement

I take it we're writing off the rest of the summer. It won't settle down again now.

TODAY will be overcast with occasional light rain or drizzle, with some partial clearing in western counties later this afternoon. Moderate west to northwest breezes at times, feeling rather cool especially in eastern counties

Well we can likely write today off

Scutter

Advertisement