Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTE saying a high of 14 for next Monday. Ugh. Why is it that every bloody year I let myself be disappointed by the weather here!! You'd think my thick skull would know by now!

August strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lawred2 wrote: »
    August strikes again

So 5 weeks of not really terrible weather amounts to our summer. God I can't wait to retire...

So 5 weeks of not really terrible weather amounts to our summer. God I can't wait to retire...

I'm seriously contemplating whether emigration could work for us

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm seriously contemplating whether emigration could work for us

Do it. This is no way to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some nice sunny spells this evening in Dublin after a blustery day with numerous bouts of showers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RTE saying a high of 14 for next Monday. Ugh. Why is it that every bloody year I let myself be disappointed by the weather here!! You'd think my thick skull would know by now!

If this comes to pass, needless to say that would be way below normal for this time of year. Anyone know what the lowest maximum August temperature record is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If this comes to pass, needless to say that would be way below normal for this time of year. Anyone know what the lowest maximum August temperature record is?

-2.7C in Wicklow in 1964, but not sure what hour that was and I doubt it stayed around that for the whole day.

August low max records at the following long-term stations.

Casement Aerodrome; 12.0c on 25 Aug 1986
    Claremorris; 11.7c on 25 Aug 1986
    Cork Apt; 12.1c on 28 Aug 1963
    Mullingar; 11.4c on 25 Aug 1986
    Oak Park; 11.8c on 25 Aug 1986
    Shannon Apt; 13.0c on 23 & 25 Aug 1986

Can see the vast majority of these were when Ireland was being hit by ex-hurricane Charley in August 1986.

Data from Met Éireann.

New event thread by the way for Thursday/Friday's heavy rainfalls and possible thunderstorms in case you miss: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058003663

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Xenji wrote: »
    -2.7C in Wicklow in 1964, but not sure what hour that was and I doubt it stayed around that for the whole day.

That was obviously an overnight minumum temperature but thanks for posting it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Watched the bbc news 24 weather for the week ahead and the outlook is grim. Even the presenter said “this might be a forecast you’d expect in October”

A strong jet just to the south of us resulting in a conveyor belt of lows coming from the Atlantic. We are on the cool side of the jet too which probably explains the 14c predicted by Met Eireann for next Monday. August delivering utter crap again. No doubt September will be warm and sunny though. Why can’t we have it the other way around for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

That was obviously an overnight minumum temperature but thanks for posting it anyway.

Sorry read it as minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

This was the first day this month that failed to breach 20 with a high of 19.1C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next two weeks are very grim indeed, unsettled and temperatures between 1 to 3C below normal, a real feeling of Autumn. Winter Clothes at the ready for next week.

Cold wind in dublin this morning. Autumn really does start in august in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Gonzo wrote: »
    the next two weeks are very grim indeed, unsettled and temperatures between 1 to 3C below normal, a real feeling of Autumn. Winter Clothes at the ready for next week.

Off to Portugal on monday for 10 days. Just in time by the looks of things. So summer clothes still needed for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Pretty much expecting 35 C Palm tree beach weather in December and January to make up for what was this..."summer".

I will hold my breath in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Where are you located? Not near Dublin / east coast clearly as it’s been a nice summer
    The_Brood wrote: »
    Pretty much expecting 35 C Palm tree beach weather in December and January to make up for what was this..."summer".

I will hold my breath in anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

I'm trying to think what summer past was the most similar to this summer, 2004 maybe? Anyway it wasn't a bad summer compared to some of the horrible summers from 2008-2012 but most people are disappointed with it because they are comparing it to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No of days with a negative NAO readings (at 500hPa) for the last 5 summers:

wdnEtZT.png

Keep in mind that the data for the last 4 summers is complete (up to Aug 31st) while data for this year is only up to yesterday the 6th. I have seen seem talk, particularly on UK based outlets) that the mostly -NAO readings this summer night be down to the current ongoing 'Solar Minimum', but having checked, high number of -NAO days in both 2015 and 2016 occurred during a high solar spot output. Having said that, it is notable just lengthy the current -NAO spell is, and is likely to continue up to the middle of the month at least.

Data sourced from:
    https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Where are you located? Not near Dublin / east coast clearly as it’s been a nice summer

It could be 28 degrees and dry, if the skies are mostly grey, I just don't count it as a nice summer. If you thought it was nice then I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seanachai wrote: »
    It could be 28 degrees and dry, if the skies are mostly grey, I just don't count it as a nice summer. If you thought it was nice then I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I am in Dublin and I didn’t find the sky mostly grey . I really enjoyed July in Dublin , outdoor living , patio door open all day , sun chairs out to sit out and read
    We had a pool out for grandkids and they got lots of days in it . I thought it was a very nice July and even today was unexpectedly pleasant here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Another absolutely gorgeous day in Arklow
    High of 22c
    It feels like a holiday at home again this evening here

I'm trying to think what summer past was the most similar to this summer, 2004 maybe? Anyway it wasn't a bad summer compared to some of the horrible summers from 2008-2012 but most people are disappointed with it because they are comparing it to last year.

Don’t see the comparison with 2004 at all. June that year was anticyclonic and very warm up until the final week when it decidedly turned really wet and even stormy at one point. July was quite cool and changeable throughout. August was a very warm but extremely wet month especially in the south and east - the north and west tended to be drier.

If there’s a close-ish year, it would be 1991. A relatively cool to close to average temperature but very dry May followed by a cool and wet June, mild to warm but dull and mainly dry July. August 1991 began changeable but became very settled and warm later going into September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Seanachai wrote: »

Yeah but it was sunny most days so what’s the problem or must it be constantly sunny?? Even today was meant to be grim and it’s 21 degrees and sunny. Very under rated July in my opinion

Yeah but it was sunny most days so what’s the problem or must it be constantly sunny?? Even today was meant to be grim and it’s 21 degrees and sunny. Very under rated July in my opinion

We're well into August now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

Nothing will ever match Summer 95, last year summer 18 was ruined by a crappy August & September

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Crap day again in Donegal with a constant stream of showers all day and a few torrential downpours thrown in

July was more overrated than underrated to me. There has been a lot more positive comments on here than negative (which is not usually the case). August 2010 was super underrated, not overly warm but a lot of sunny days and dry weather that you could easily get out and enjoy. I found September 2018 great and ideal unlike September 2016 which I hated. Many sunny days I can recall and Storm Ali was a blast.

This discussion on Summer 2019 is getting ever more tiresome. Can we just accept that we have different opinions on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It was partially overcast most days, there were spells of decent sunshine breaking through from time to time. I was working outdoors last summer and I remember there being more a good bit more clear skies and sunshine hours overall.

Even when the sun has been out this summer, there's still been too much cloud cover, right now I'm in Dublin and it's dry and warm with some sunshine but there's big dirty clouds rolling across the sky too.

Advertisement