Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I do sometimes wonder why people diss Ireland's weather all the time
    I can understand bad spells and what's been going on in Donegal and to a lesser extent in the coastal counties of the west

We don't have Bali's climate
    If you want that you may go there and stay there
    You'll soon miss an awful lot of wonderful things about Ireland though
    It does depend what part of Ireland you live but honestly, with few exceptions I've had plenty of nice summer weather here near Arklow in the last couple of decades
    Today was a classic beach day
    Not a drop of rain,a nice tonic ahead of the overnight into friday onslaught

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I can understand bad spells and what's been going on in Donegal and to a lesser extent in the coastal counties of the west

It does depend what part of Ireland you live but honestly, with few exceptions I've had plenty of nice summer weather here near Arklow in the last couple of decades

fully agree, people go to Spain and the continent for a reason, do not expect the same when you come back or stay in Ireland.
    We are having a nice "Irish" summer.
    Last year was very much the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

lawred2 wrote: »
    We're well into August now

Yeah and it’s still warm and sunny since the start of August bar one day with rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

There's a huge difference between the weather in Arklow and that in the West or Donegal to be fair.

I'm in Dublin and think the summer has been OK by Irish standards (somewhat poor by most other country's standards I'd imagine though).

However I wouldn't be saying that if I were in Galway or Kerry, for example, where it's been far cooler and wetter.

There'll be lots of heated debate on here come September about how good or bad this year's summer has been but it'll come down to two main things IMO:

1. Your location, in particular how far East you are. Those in Dublin and Arklow will probably think the summer has been OK.
    2. The value you place on sunshine - some people think mild, dry but cloudy days are perfect, while others will place a far higher value on actual sun shining

I think the west, south west and north west can be very wet but I definitely think the weather in the east and south east of Ireland is under rated. By the way people moan you would swear it rains every day. The reality is different with far more dry days than wet days. I can’t recall more than one day since early July that I got soaked going to or from work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's been another nice day with partial cloud and sunshine here in Glasnevin. The high was 21.9C. It's currently 20.8C with a lot of clear sky and sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Seanachai wrote: »
    It was partially overcast most days, there were spells of decent sunshine breaking through from time to time. I was working outdoors last summer and I remember there being more a good bit more clear skies and sunshine hours overall.

Even when the sun has been out this summer, there's still been too much cloud cover, right now I'm in Dublin and it's dry and warm with some sunshine but there's big dirty clouds rolling across the sky too.

Today has been a grand day to be honest. Second half of May, first half of June and first half of July didn’t offer many days or evenings like this in my locality of Dublin (I’m not asking for peace blue sky days as some on here would assume :rolleyes: ). I’ve been loving August so far with decent amounts of sunshine and daytime temperatures haven’t been doing badly either. Obviously, most of Ireland has been faring very differently though.

Last summer is not a good comparison because it was exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm in the west, and while it is much wetter than over areas, rainfall has come largely in short, intense bursts for most of this Summer. There has been far more dry days than wet ones, and sunnier days and evenings have been far more common than outright dull, overcast ones.. It hasn't been cool either, and any cooler temps have been well offset by the oddly high humidities of this season.

Experientially, I would class this as a pretty average, if very warm feeling summer overall, with little in the way of any notable day to day difference. But more importantly, and not unlike last year, a below average season for thunderstorms.

New Moon

compsys wrote: »
    2. The value you place on sunshine - some people think mild, dry but cloudy days are perfect, while others will place a far higher value on actual sun shining
    I honestly don't get the fascination with sunshine. Nothing like a beautiful, sunny and warm morning for sure, but personally speaking, I find afternoon sunshine to be too harsh and unappealing for my senses.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the fascination with sunshine. Nothing like a beautiful, sunny and warm morning for sure, but personally speaking, I find afternoon sunshine to be too harsh and unappealing for my senses.
    Like you, I'm very sensitive to sunlight but nevertheless, I still manage to love a good sunny day whatever the season. Usually, I'm in my best mood on sunny days and so are a lot of people that I know. As I said in a post that you quoted, sunshine motivates me to go out and do things I wouldn't otherwise do or places I wouldn't go to. There's just a sense of joy I get that everything's just perfect on a sunny day and a very sunny day is a premium in Ireland so feels extra special to me when we do get one. That's also the reason why I do feel guilty if I waste one like I used to a lot of times but now I try to make the most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A short sharp shower passed through here near Arklow
    First photo is the view through the Davis looking east as it exits out to sea
    2nd is the view to the west

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was another great day at Dunshaughlin, plenty of warm sunshine. August has been great so far but I fear it's about to go downhill fast after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Like you, I'm very sensitive to sunlight but nevertheless, I still manage to love a good sunny day whatever the season. Usually, I'm in my best mood on sunny days and so are a lot of people that I know. As I said in a post that you quoted, sunshine motivates me to go out and do things I wouldn't otherwise do or places I wouldn't go to. There's just a sense of joy I get that everything's just perfect on a sunny day and a very sunny day is a premium in Ireland so feels extra special to me when we do get one. That's also the reason why I do feel guilty if I waste one like I used to a lot of times but now I try to make the most of them.

And don’t forget the vitamin D that it provides. Sun gives us endorphins making us feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Its hardly a mystery why people enjoy sunshine, as well as all the above it just makes the outdoors far more vivid and colourful compared to the usual near monochrome greyness. Everyone and everything just feels more 'alive' on a good sunny day as well.

Back here, it turned out an alright evening in the end, rain cleared up to leave a calm reasonably bright end to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just back from holidays so just wanted a dry day which I got. Managed to get 4 loads of washing on the line+ dried. The odd rain shower but grand + very pleasant when sun came out.

For those of you who love thunder storms we had an unreal one on holidays in Lake Garda. Went on for hours + was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

You see it does rain all day occasionally in other places during the summer too although it was accompanied by 29 degree temperatures!

sryanbruen wrote: »

California or Spain it is for you so.

Contrary to yourself, too much sunshine makes me narky and irritable and afternoon sunshine in particular lacks a certain pleasing aesthetic to me. Also contrary to your own observation, I find most people to be more relaxed, mellow and less frivolous during calm, cloudy and dry weather. Perhaps other people are in a better mood during sunshine, but perhaps peculiarly, I couldn't care less about what mood other people are in if they hold no relevance in my life. I realize that sounds s a bit harsh, but really it isn't meant to be.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

The biggest issue with the lack of sunshine is in the garden for me, you can nearly tell more about how your summer is going by how certain old standards are blossoming, I nearly had a 5 week hibernation period between the end of June till the last week of July, I had plenty of buds but nothing blossoming due to the majority of days in July being overcast with an hour or so some evenings with good sunshine.

Then you have the other issue of the quick torrential downpours decimating whats left of what bloomed in the early summer, the 17th of July doing it in about 5 minutes, thankfully though this year even though it has been very humid most days, botrytis has not been an issue like recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWN!

This list I mean! I was offline a few days as my computer died but just more of the same here... working on an ancient one that makes treacle flowing uphill look fast...lost my gmail and cannot connect to my weblog.... ah well

A gentle, quiet morning out here in the wide Atlantic. Watching the rose hips redden and the blackberries starting to show colour and jam making not too far ahead... Love the changing seasons. They are our bedrock ... whatever they bring they bring. But autumn is special.. Already I cannot take an early walk before 5 am.... So utterly quiet now... Love these early hours...

All is well. All is happening as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Alot of cloud in Galway...but it looks like the kind of cloud that will burn away very soon..hopefully:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

stunner in DCC too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sunny in Galway now..cleared up nicely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another warm and sunny day in Dunshaughlin. Pity this won't last as August up to now has been very good with 21C or more reached here every day except for Tuesday which still managed 19C.

After a good bit of sunshine earlier here in Glasnevin it's clouded up now. It's 19.2C now after an earlier high of 20.3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clouded over in kildare now at 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cracking day in Dublin CC. Really lovely. I'm starting to think there's not much point in looking at weather forecasts any more.

Cracking day in Dublin CC. Really lovely. I'm starting to think there's not much point in looking at weather forecasts any more.

I agree, it seems nearly every day weather apps give rain for the coming days which never seems to transpire and it ends up dry. Lovely day again today

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great day in Dublin Bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloud and more cloud. Sun makes an appearance first thing and then the usual. Very disappointing to be honest.

• Advertisement

Mostly clear sky now. It's 21.2C.

Advertisement