Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tim76 wrote: »
    Looks like more rain forecast for this week. I can't remember an August that has been as bad as this.

All of them?

Being a bit glib there but August is just continuing true to its form really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The veat was on in the house this morning. I haven't noticed that for a while. Felt strange when also looking out at a sunny, clear blue sky. The overnight low was 8.6C, which is the lowest I've seen since early July; the temperature did rise quicker that morning though. It's currently 13.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential downpours in Castlebar this morning mingled with some bright spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Whats this? :eek:

ECM1-216.GIF?12-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Éireann on their website are saying a lot of dry weather this week with some showers. Doesn’t sound that bad at all unless I am missing something. Saturday was a cloudy day in Dublin but yesterday was quite nice, spent most of the day in the park. I think August has been fine so far with temps around 20 degrees. Not sure what all the fuss is about. There was that one night where it lashed rain but by the time I was heading to work it was dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mortelaro wrote: »
    pad199207 wrote: »
    8.3c can feel the chill this morning

Baltinglass TII site reported 4.5c at 440am
    Some spots might have had a ground frost :eek:

5c in Durrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Lovely fresh morning, the first in a while.

I thought the summer was fine. Very few hot days while was great and for me made up for the horrible mild winter.

Speaking of which I happened to look up when the winter thread started last year and that started on the 19th August last year.

It's nearly that time of year folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whats this? :eek:

;)
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Subtle hints from teleconnections of the weather settling down later in August and going into September, just in time for the kids going back to school as per usual. Only subtle for now but there nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Met Éireann on their website are saying a lot of dry weather this week with some showers. Doesn’t sound that bad at all unless I am missing something. Saturday was a cloudy day in Dublin but yesterday was quite nice, spent most of the day in the park. I think August has been fine so far with temps around 20 degrees. Not sure what all the fuss is about. There was that one night where it lashed rain but by the time I was heading to work it was dry

People had their heat on in the middle of June and now its bloody cold on 12th August. Thats what the fuss is about!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

August continues to trend very poor over the next 10 to 12 days with cooler than average conditions and unsettled. There are signs of an improvement in temperatures with less rainfall from about the 23rd of August, so there is hope that the last week of August may see a return to more seasonal conditions. Fingers crossed first half of September is decent offering a final taste of summer before Autumn weather becomes properly established. I would agree that Summer has felt very short this year, due to the cold conditions for much of June. We were lighting fires up to week 3.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=0&date=2019-08-12&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Even yesterday, people kept telling me "oh Sundays gonna be a washout". It hit 21c at one stage here in Wexford,the UKMO forecast for the week is giving a low crossing the South of the country on Wednesday,we might get lucky and it'll miss us altogether and bring heavy rain to the UK. Another potential wet and windy day on Saturday though.
    I'm hoping that the signs of a warm sunny end to the month do come to fruition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

We've had a normal summer in Cork city brutal rain and wind every day nearly. When it's not raining its dark and cloudy. The odd day it doesn't p1ss rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

normal summer? ah come on now you don't get it that bad down there

fryup wrote: »
    normal summer? ah come on now you don't get it that bad down there

Not everyday most days though. If there's any sun it comes out very late due to fog so we're goosed down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Lucreto wrote: »

I thought the summer was fine. Very few hot days while was great and for me made up for the horrible mild winter.

Speaking of which I happened to look up when the winter thread started last year and that started on the 19th August last year.

I can't wait for some cool autumn days, as long as the sky is clear I don't mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

mean gene wrote: »
    We've had a normal summer in Cork city brutal rain and wind every day nearly. When it's not raining its dark and cloudy. The odd day it doesn't p1ss rain.

Well I don`t live in the city (about 35 km away) but I travel there frequently and I can say that your comments are greatly overstated. There have been a few days with wet and windy weather conditions, especially over the last week, but definitely not "nearly every day" this summer. Actually I can recall very few days at all like that during the whole month of July. The 29th July was the one day during that month that was very wet and windy.

Well I don`t live in the city (about 35 km away) but I travel there frequently and I can say that your comments are greatly overstated. There have been a few days with wet and windy weather conditions, especially over the last week, bunt definitely not "nearly every day" this summer. Actually I can`t recall any days at all like that during the whole month of July.

As you said you don't live here

Lucreto wrote: »

I told BLIZZARD7 to start that thread last year so I could post the ECM seasonal model :P. I won't be getting excited for winter this year after last year's major failure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loving this weather.. been out in the back field almost on the shore, with the wind strong and fresh and the air clean and energising. Revelling in the clarity of it after the humid weeks. Hearing the tide break on the shore with a real song. Seeing white tipped waves.
    Happy to put the duvet back on the bed.
    Varied skies.

Just glorious.

west mayo offshore island heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Getting absolutely hammered with heavy rain, just outside Waterford City :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy showers have now arrived in Kildare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

mean gene wrote: »
    As you said you don't live here

No I don`t but 35km is not that far away and, as I also said, I travel to the city on a regular basis. The weather has been nowhere near as bad as what you claim it has this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Lovely day in Arklow so far,17c
    But trouble is brewing
    Here's the view south

ac41d76674436cdb011251430216e1c5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

So far today has been the only decent day since I came back on Friday and even so it's not that great.

Its amazing how many people want it to be cold all the time. Baffles me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

People had their heat on in the middle of June and now its bloody cold on 12th August. Thats what the fuss is about!

Yeah but you are forgetting the two month period in between! Since end of June it has been 20 -24 degrees pretty much every day reaching 27 degrees and it has been dry for the vast majority of that. People need to get a grip, we don’t live in Spain!!

Artane2002 wrote: »
    So far today has been the only decent day since I came back on Friday and even so it's not that great.
    Unlucky because most days before Friday since the start of August have been good to very good in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I told BLIZZARD7 to start that thread last year so I could post the ECM seasonal model :P. I won't be getting excited for winter this year after last year's major failure though.

I am not expecting much either. I based my last years guess on 2011 and it turned out accurate enough.

This year I am basing it on 2012 which was more of the same. Little to no frost and the mild Atlantic keep us company all winter.

A few variables I considering like solar activity was on the upswing in 2012 not at a minimum like now.

Others like Le Nina or Le Nino (waiting on your take on that) :) Can't remember what it was in 2012.

Then some outside chances like the glacial melt in Greenland and how much of that fresh-water being dumped into the ocean will effect the gulf stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Continued showers in kildare 18c

• Advertisement

Yeah but you are forgetting the two month period in between! Since end of June it has been 20 -24 degrees pretty much every day reaching 27 degrees and it has been dry for the vast majority of that. People need to get a grip, we don’t live in Spain!!

A week in June plus July doesn't equal 2 months. So there's not really been any hot weather and I can't think of any days of pure sunshine although I was away for a bit.
    It's a f**king sh*te summer, and I want to complain about it, so excuse me for that. I will never get used to how bad our summers are, looking out the window at work now and the whole city is getting blasted with pissy rain as we speak. Argh. And yes I should move somewhere else and I wont let the door hit me on the way out whenever I fulfil my dream of living in the sun!

Advertisement