Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Just had a shower with a rumble of thunder in Dublin 5. The search for a great day continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A week in June plus July doesn't equal 2 months. So there's not really been any hot weather and I can't think of any days of pure sunshine although I was away for a bit.
    It's a f**king sh*te summer, and I want to complain about it, so excuse me for that. I will never get used to how bad our summers are, looking out the window at work now and the whole city is getting blasted with pissy rain as we speak. Argh. And yes I should move somewhere else and I wont let the door hit me on the way out whenever I fulfil my dream of living in the sun!

I had a lovely summer in south Dublin
    Since mid June we have the chairs out and the vast majority of days we sat out . Grandchildren had lots of days in the pool out the back and some great days out in parks and beaches
    Its Ireland and you can make the best of it if you try hard enough . We have enjoyed it and taken every good day and used it well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

A week in June plus July doesn't equal 2 months. So there's not really been any hot weather and I can't think of any days of pure sunshine although I was away for a bit.
    It's a f**king sh*te summer, and I want to complain about it, so excuse me for that. I will never get used to how bad our summers are, looking out the window at work now and the whole city is getting blasted with pissy rain as we speak. Argh. And yes I should move somewhere else and I wont let the door hit me on the way out whenever I fulfil my dream of living in the sun!

Well the first two weeks of August have been nice where I am in Dublin. Dry and 20-22 degrees is grand in my eyes. You might also recall we had a great summer last year too with temps up to 32 degrees but I guess that was terrible too!

Either way it sounds like you need to move to Spain, France or maybe Italy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Sometimes in this climate you've got to create chances.

Following the GFS models on net weather.tv it looks like 10 more days of rather if not very unsettled weather. Temperatures around normal at best but generally below normal. The weekend of the 24-25th looks that there may be more settled and warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Lovely day in Arklow so far,17c
    But trouble is brewing
    Here's the view south

ac41d76674436cdb011251430216e1c5.jpg

It's not too bad down here in the south,a few drops of rain that gave up after 2 minutes and broken cloud. It did look very dark further south alright towards New Ross and Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well the first two weeks of August have been nice where I am in Dublin. Dry and 20-22 degrees is grand in my eyes. You might also recall we had a great summer last year too with temps up to 32 degrees but I guess that was terrible too!

Last year was great but wasn't anywhere near 32c in Dublin where I live, and if I remember correctly the weather was crap from about mid July onwards! August is summer in most countries!
    But yes, probably Spain as soon as I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Kinda nippy here in Clondalkin. Casement only at 13C. It makes a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Last year was great but wasn't anywhere near 32c in Dublin where I live, and if I remember correctly the weather was crap from about mid July onwards! August is summer in most countries!

Last year was amazing in Dublin . It was beautiful up to the 27th of August in my part of Dublin . Honestly you seem to see the glass half empty , try seeing it half full

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kinda nippy here in Clondalkin. Casement only at 13C. It makes a nice change.

Ditto here near Naas. Showers are dragging the temperatures down

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Last year was amazing in Dublin . It was beautiful up to the 27th of August in my part of Dublin . Honestly you seem to see the glass half empty , try seeing it half full

Funny how August was totally different in my part of Dublin! Microclimates.
    It doesn't stop me from doing lots of stuff, I have climbed Carrauntoohil this summer, been surfing, done loads of walks, played golf etc. Just the lack of blue skies kills me. There aren't many things that make me happier than clear blue skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

May to July 2018 was one of the best times of my life, so many peach days and a record amount of days of being in my pool! Finishing my summer exams on 29 May was a great feeling coming out to universal blue skies. I wish I made the most of it though as I took it for granted I feel. August 2018 wasn't a terrible month for Dublin but rather disappointing so to speak considering the lack of sunshine but it had its fair amount of warm days. North and west had it worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

28 day Atlantic SST anomaly up to August 10th

qvZbl9q.png

Very warm to the S and SE of Greenland. Closest analogy I can find for this part of the year is 2012.

cmXuVKu.png

Although 2010 & 2014 also had warmer (but not as warm) SSTs in more or less the same region, but is the current Atlantic state giving us some clue as to what the coming Autumn will be like? I honestly can't remember what Autumn 2012 was like.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Although 2010 & 2014 also had warmer (but not as warm) SSTs in more or less the same region, but is the current Atlantic state giving us some clue as to what the coming Autumn will be like? I honestly can't remember what Autumn 2012 was like.
    Autumn 2012 had a September that was quite variable in terms of rainfall and sunshine whereas all areas had cooler than average conditions. South had it exceptionally dry whilst it was much wetter in the north and east with the east having a washout near the end. October was cool and changeable, little warmth at all but it was daytime temps impacted rather than nightime. November was cool due to a frosty and dry end whilst it was generally unsettled. Not the most memorable autumn although it was the last cool autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well finally made it to zoo today. It was lovely + sunny. We had a brilliant day. For once Met Eireann hourly prediction was spot on. I knew thundery showers predicted for afternoon so we were there when it opened.

On the way home the sky was mad looking. Huge dark clouds + you could see rain rolling in. It's been lashing here now since 3pm. Very heavy thundery showers.

Hard to believe it was so nice earlier. I love when I get the better of the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It turned out to be a nice bright day in Castlebar after persistent early morning downpours.

I meant 32 degrees in Ireland but Dublin from memory was up around 30 a few times, certainly 28 or 29 degrees was recorded in Phoenix park. I think 32 was around Shannon if memory serves me well.

The highest an official Dublin station saw in 2018 was 27.9c at Phoenix Park on June 27th. 21st June 2017 had a slightly higher max with 28.6c.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The highest an official Dublin station saw in 2018 was 27.9c at Phoenix Park on June 27th. 21st June 2017 had a slightly higher max with 28.6c.

I am kind of surprised it wasn’t even higher. There were some days last summer that felt like low 30s but I thought official high was around 29. Was it Shannon that had the highest last summer or was I imagining that? 32 or 33 degrees I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »

Never let facts get in the way of a good story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dry? :confused:

• Advertisement

Predominantly yes the first 10-12 days. There was Mamooth rainfall one of the nights there last week and some showers on and off but a lot of dry weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's a cool showery day here. It's only 12.9C currently after another heavy shower I just managed to avoid. The high today was only 17.4C, the lowest high since the middle of June. There was 4.6mm rain recorded.

I would say a huge proportion of any rain this month was that one night where there was massive rainfall. I can remember summers in Ireland that were total washouts but August so far certainly doesn’t feel like those

Never let facts get in the way of a good story though.

No it's what Irish people do. The summer of 18 was 32c in Dublin for 3 months!

I am kind of surprised it wasn’t even higher. There were some days last summer that felt like low 30s but I thought official high was around 29. Was it Shannon that had the highest last summer or was I imagining that? 32 or 33 degrees I thought
    Correct, 32.0c at Shannon Airport on 28th June which was the highest in Ireland since July 2006 and highest June temperature in the country since 1976.

For consolation, here's a graph of daily maximum temperatures for Dublin stations (including the two climate stations at Glasnevin and Merrion Square) during the period 1 May to 11 October 2018. Don't mind the sudden down spike from Merrion Square in mid-June as that was a day with missing data.

hJiCUJf.png

No it's what Irish people do. The summer of 18 was 32c in Dublin for 3 months!

Just like you claiming the weather is crap every day

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Just like you claiming the weather is crap every day
    Everyday after the 32 degrees, it got nippy in the evening. I had the heating on for 3 months at night. Outrageous. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Shooting stars tonight if anyone has clear sky

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Our lovely summer has really taken a nosedive. Back to the wet, cold and showery shlop I’m afraid. August has been a crap month for the past few years summers after good June/July’s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Shooting stars tonight if anyone has clear sky

I'd love to see the perseids.
    Never have.
    Live in the city centre, so don't hold out much hope.

Let us know if you have any luck!

Advertisement