Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Passable morning in Donegal but afternoon onwards has been a complete washout. Another early autumn this year by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Have people forgotten June already?

July was ok it was mainly dry warming dry but cloudy.

I’d give July a 6/10 but June was freezing up to the last week and August from what I’m hearing unless your in Dublin has started pretty badly.

In Malaga now and it’s proper hot proper sunny proper balmy proper clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I can't recall a day for rain like it is today in Galway it's just mental floods on lots of roads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Things improved from mid June. The weather was brutal the first half of June but was really nice for the duration of Wimbledon and that starts in the 2nd half of June. That was the case in Dublin anyway as I recall sitting out the garden in the evenings when Wimbledon was on

I’d give July a 6/10 but June was freezing up to the last week and August from what I’m hearing unless your in Dublin has started pretty badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

No showers and plenty of sun in Waterford City today but winds gusting to 50km/h did ruin it somewhat. Some drying day though.
    Hopefully Met Eireann get on the job tomorrow and fix the radar. Very disappointing from them to not mention the fact it’s down over the entire Bank Holiday weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Things improved from mid June. The weather was brutal the first half of June but was really nice for the duration of Wimbledon and that starts in the 2nd half of June. That was the case in Dublin anyway as I recall sitting out the garden in the evenings when Wimbledon was on

Actually the dates for the Wimbledon championships were changed a few years ago. They now take place over the first 2 weeks in July (this year from the 1st to the 14th July) so that is when you must have been sitting out in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I stand corrected! That’s mad I thought it fell much earlier than that. Feels like much longer ago actually. What an epic men’s final. Anyway back to the weather!
    Actually the dates for the Wimbledon championships were changed a few years ago. They now take place over the first 2 weeks in July (this year from the 1st to the 14th July) so that is when you must have been sitting out in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Today was a mostly lovely day (inland north Dub) with good sunny breaks which reached 23C but fell back to 21C under the cloud, we did dodge that single shower that threatened but due to the gloomy forecast beforehand it wasn't that bad a day after all! (commiserations to our rainsoaked country cousins in Galway! )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

biblical rain in galway unreal ongoing for 7 8 hours now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

klaaaz wrote: »
    Today was a mostly lovely day (inland north Dub) with good sunny breaks which reached 23C but fell back to 21C under the cloud, we did dodge that single shower that threatened but due to the gloomy forecast beforehand it wasn't that bad a day after all! (commiserations to our rainsoaked country cousins in Galway! )

Some difference here alright, absolute miserable day, didn't budge outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Any rain totals from Galway Co?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Jean on the forecast just there said the rain moving up from the south Thursday night/Friday morning has the potential to be very heavy. I suppose when it comes from the Bay of Biscay it’s never good. Possible thunder & lightning to accompany the rain one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Radar looks like it’s clearing
    But obviously Shannon is down so it hard to tell
    Is there more to come .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Radar looks like it’s clearing
    But obviously Shannon is down so it hard to tell
    Is there more to come .....

Stopped raining here anyway.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

esposito wrote: »
    Jean on the forecast just there said the rain moving up from the south Thursday night/Friday morning has the potential to be very heavy. I suppose when it comes from the Bay of Biscay it’s never good. Possible thunder & lightning to accompany the rain one would think.

Never a good sign when they are saying it this far out.

At least 37.0mm in Galway City today (UCG) with over 31.0mm of that falling in the last 6 hours. Add to this the 21mm that fell yesterday, and this comes to over half of its average August monthly total falling in just 2 days.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I've only recorded 8.4mm rain since the start of August and 33.3mm in the whole of July.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Any rain totals from Galway Co?

Nothing too amazing from Athenry Station anyway, it was just a near constant moderate rate with sporadic heavier pulses. Not sure if the totals on met.ie are reflective as the station is quite a long way to the south of the town on the other side of the motorway, it is at Teagasc, and heavy rain can be very localised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry to hear about all the rain down in Galway. Sounds like you guys were washed it of it.
    I didn't expect the weather we had in Dublin today. Bright the kids to they local playground and soaked up a bit of sun while they charged around for an hour. We went home at 1 and there was a brief shower but then brightened up again until 4 when it got a good bit overcast and another few spits of rain.
    Overall, I think it was over of the better August bank holiday weekends for weather in the last few years for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Nothing too amazing from Athenry Station anyway, it was just a near constant moderate rate with sporadic heavier pulses. Not sure if the totals on met.ie are reflective as the station is quite a long way to the south of the town on the other side of the motorway, it is at Teagasc, and heavy rain can be very localised.
    How far south of Athenry is the station roughly?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    How far south of Athenry is the station roughly?

Teagasc is only about 2 maybe 3 km out if that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Another useful site is the motorway weather stations re air temp, wind etc
    See:

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Scroll down list for nearest location...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Really heavy rain here in meath this morning, well for most of the night to

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

47mm here in the past 2 days and its teaming down again. North Galway

km79 wrote: »
    Teagasc is only about 2 maybe 3 km out if that

I'm about 4km from it, it makes the difference when I experience a shower at my house but the it could miss the station completely.

Absolute biblical rain this morning driving into Galway, had to slow down due to lack of visibility. Flooding very bad on the roads in the usual spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

July was way better in the east.

June was a write off here in Dublin too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

16mm of rain in Castlebar in the last 3 hours and 21.8mm since midnight.

Athenry reporting an inch of rain over last 3 hours
    On top of all that fell before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The nightmare continues...for the third day in a row...Galway

Advertisement