Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Seems quite a few Leinster fans missed flights home tonight. Mate just texted. About to take off and about 20-30 empty seats.

We left on a a chartered bus at 9.15 for an 11pm flight and as we left there must have been about 2500+ people queueing to get into the train station. I'd never seen anything like it.

I remember something similar after the Wasps game in Coventry. The Ricoh has one little streak of piss they call a train station with a two carriage train on the hour. 35,000 people predictably file out and it was a massacre. It's a good hour walk into the city centre from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Hopefully it will be a long time before Glasgow get to host another final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

We left on a a chartered bus at 9.15 for an 11pm flight and as we left there must have been about 2500+ people queueing to get into the train station. I'd never seen anything like it.

Twickenham most matches is a disaster at the train

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

stephen_n wrote: »
    And at the same time took the wrong option in the end and probably butchered a try. Had he stood Hogg up and offloaded to Lowe, it would have almost certainly been a try. That was uncharacteristic of him.

Lowe made a total mess of the support line. He initially shaped to go in on a switch then stopped and ran back the other way again. Unsteadied Ringrose and allowed Callum Gibbons I think it was close the gap to him

• Subscribers Posts: 41,384 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Lowe made a total mess of the support line. He initially shaped to go in on a switch then stopped and ran back the other way again. Unsteadied Ringrose and allowed Callum Gibbons I think it was close the gap to him

Agreed

The support runner calls the play there.

Lowe had gotten ahead of his man and all he had to do was keep his line, and for RR to draw and pass

Instead he stepped in, and then back out again, learning to dance at lannigans ball.

In other news, very satisfying win. Lying here very contented hoping someone will get up and make me breakfast and a nice cuppa....
    And if she's lucky she might get some of this satisfaction herself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

You need to look back at the clip, the opportunity was there for Ringrose to offload it and set Lowe free, the man behind him was attempting to drag him back without the ball. Ringrose butchered it. Lucky it wasn't costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

You need to look back at the clip, the opportunity was there for Ringrose to offload it and set Lowe free, the man behind him was attempting to drag him back without the ball. Ringrose butchered it. Lucky it wasn't costly.

On my watching lowe gets tackled (evidenced by him dragged before the pass being given) as soon as he catches that pass tho. What is easy to underestimate is Hoggs pace...neither ringrose or lowe would have been able to simply burn him. They'd have needed him to bite in and commit which he was resolutely not doing. Which is great defence by Hogg.

The worst thing to have done would have been to force it cough up possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

To say that Ringrose butchered the opportunity is a bit excessive but I thought he should've done better. He had Hogg turned and was essentially a sitting duck. With Ringrose's footwork he should've been away or at least committed Hogg to the tackle and offloaded to Lowe who was running a trailing line. I've no doubt had it been Ringrose trailing Lowe it would've been a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Of course it was silly. You can't touch a player in the air these days. Kearney should know better.

It's not about touching the player in the air. Two players can compete for the ball in the air and make contact with each other no problem. The issue is when one player arrives to the contest area late, through either kicking the ball too far ahead or being impeded in his run, and trying to contest anyway. So they jump late or don't jump at all. This is what usually leads to the guy higher in the air being flipped onto his back/head as they make contact with the jumping players legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Re: the Kearney YC, they really need to sort out the way it's interpreted.

A player can be honest in his intent to contest for the ball and lose; in the process contacting with the opposition player causing one of them to land awkwardly.

If Hogg had gone up and smashed a hip into Kearney's head whilst winning the ball, with both players competing, would that warrant a penalty? Potential for serious injury to him, probably HIA. Why is that acceptable, but what happened a penalty? Not arguing against Kearney getting a YC mind, but the overall disparity with interpreting the situation currently.

The rule as it stands now basically allows one player to be as reckless as they want, as long as they win the ball. The contest in certain respect is less about the ball, and more about getting into the dominant position/ higher in the air, at least with respect to possible penalities.
    better suited to laws.... thread but the laws dont at all allow anyone be reckless and if you want change what really is acceptable then?
    Yes you can be honest in your intentions and still cause a player to fall and get hurt/fall awkwardly etc and get red. Thats all part of the game.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    This season they demanded that refs make a call on the field and then go to the TMO. Unfortunately I think this has made Owens a worse referee. He’s had some absolute shockers this year with important decisions in order to be “decisive” and nearly all of them are arguably incorrect. Today, the tackle off the ball by the Glasgow player should have been a blatant yellow but he just instantly dismissed the TMOs intervention.
    I see refs having to make a call on the pitch is far better as they should be able to say what they think a decision is. If they were doing a game without a TMO they would have to make a decision and the TMO is there to assist them make a decision not make it for them.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    I was at the game.

**** me. What a strange experience.

There was a 40 minute queue for the bar.

There's no public transport back to Glasgow after the game, so it was a 45 minute walk in the rain.

There were some absolute scummy behaviour from some of the Glasgow fans around where I was sitting. And the booing was just ridiculous.

But a win is a win.
    There is long queues at nearly any event/match. Why are people still surprised about this. Many who do those roles are young students/not expereinced... and people really need to get over the booing as its not as if behaviour is so exemplary here at all games.
    thebaz wrote: »
    I support leinster and that game was not brilliant, average at best, expecting more for a final at Celtic park - think professional rugby really needs a look at itself, crowds worldwide are voting with ther feet - hopefully the WC raises the standard and not so predictable, defensive driven /possession rugby with little room for guile of old.
    Care to show how crowds are voting with their feet when it was a record attendance for a final?
    What exactly do you want the sport to change to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭OldRio

No one minds queueing but 45 minutes, and then poor public transport system is not good enough in this day and age.

There is long queues at nearly any event/match. Why are people still surprised about this. Many who do those roles are young students/not expereinced... and people really need to get over the booing as its not as if behaviour is so exemplary here at all games.
    Obviously you weren't there mate. ****ty weather, ****ty transport and yes some ****ty fans.

degsie wrote: »
    Obviously you weren't there mate. ****ty weather, ****ty transport and yes some ****ty fans.
    yeah i wasnt so what?
    ****ty fans includes yourself by sounds of things. events can always have major issues. easily will happen. just get on with it. cant do much
    And complaining about the weather.... ffs your irish arent you used to terrible weather yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

degsie wrote: »

Make the best of a bad occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

awec wrote: »
    I used to think the criticism of Owens was overblown, but his performance in the Munster quarter final was genuinely as bad a refereeing performance as I have ever seen. Worse than anything Clancy or Lacey have ever produced.

He wasn't that bad today, but definitely some dodgy calls.

He just blatantly ignores so much, Leinster players were shouting when taken out past the ruck and he had no interest.
    He was seething when the TMO directed back to the Brown incident and called him out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

razorblunt wrote: »
    He just blatantly ignores so much, Leinster players were shouting when taken out past the ruck and he had no interest.
    He was seething when the TMO directed back to the Brown incident and called him out on it.

Seems like he's let the idea allowing games to flow influence his decision making now. His breakdowns are taking the piss at this stage. No semblance of adhering to the laws, until it's the last couple of minutes and one team is chasing them game.

Seems like he's let the idea allowing games to flow influence his decision making now. His breakdowns are taking the piss at this stage. No semblance of adhering to the laws, until it's the last couple of minutes and one team is chasing them game.

Yep. He’ll add the drama in the last 5 if he can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

yeah i wasnt so what?
    ****ty fans includes yourself by sounds of things. events can always have major issues. easily will happen. just get on with it. cant do much
    And complaining about the weather.... ffs your irish arent you used to terrible weather yet?
    I’ve travelled for rugby before and never experienced anything like yesterday.

Glasgow was not equipped to deal with two big games. The Scottish cup final was on yesterday too, so there were lots of infrastructure issues with transport, pubs, general pedestrian traffic...

Lots of the Glasgow fans around me were vicious, and I didn’t feel safe at times. I was called a “fat ****” for celebrating when Leinster scored. And not in a jovial way. The booing was unpleasant, but not unexpected.

I wasn’t complaining about the weather, I was just saying that it was a 45 minute walk in the rain. I had a coat. There was no public transport anywhere near the stadium. Taxis couldn’t get to within what appeared to be a 2 mile radius. People had no choice but to walk.

I think the pro14 should consider whether parkhead is a viable solution going forward. The corridors were narrow and not equipped to deal with the inevitable queues at the bars. Lots of the queuing was related to staff requesting ID for people who were clearly over 25. The bar near me ran out of cups at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Glasgow was not equipped to deal with two big games. The Scottish cup final was on yesterday too, so there were lots of infrastructure issues with transport, pubs, general pedestrian traffic...

Lots of the Glasgow fans around me were vicious, and I didn’t feel safe at times. I was called a “fat ****” for celebrating when Leinster scored. And not in a jovial way. The booing was unpleasant, but not unexpected.

I wasn’t complaining about the weather, I was just saying that it was a 45 minute walk in the rain. I had a coat. There was no public transport anywhere near the stadium. Taxis couldn’t get to within what appeared to be a 2 mile radius. People had no choice but to walk.

I think the pro14 should consider whether parkhead is a viable solution going forward. The corridors were narrow and not equipped to deal with the inevitable queues at the bars. Lots of the queuing was related to staff requesting ID for people who were clearly over 25. The bar near me ran out of cups at one stage.

We seen Leo's comments but the truth is that there is a huge sectarian problem in Scotland and the majority of it is anti Irish. I don't know if you heard any of it but there were many anti Irish comments shouted at Leinster fans I've heard from yesterday. I don't think people realise how bad it is there. This game was in Parkhead but the Celtic fans were elsewhere!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

We seen Leo's comments but the truth is that there is a huge sectarian problem in Scotland and the majority of it is anti Irish. I don't know if you heard any of it but there were many anti Irish comments shouted at Leinster fans I've heard from yesterday. I don't think people realise how bad it is there. This game was in Parkhead but the Celtic fans were elsewhere!

Yup. Heard some of it. Like I said, hadn't felt unsafe at a rugby game before.

The booing was scratching the surface of some of it.

• Advertisement

I dont think you can criticse bars for being over zealous. Nothing wrong with being over cautious.
    And its 2 miles theres plenty of stadiums that can be similar for taxis public transport after games.
    Oh dear bars ran out of plastic cups. that happens all the time. Saturday night at rod stewart in cork the hawkers on the pitch ran out of beer. it happens despite best planning in the world.

I dont think you can criticse bars for being over zealous. Nothing wrong with being over cautious.
    And its 2 miles theres plenty of stadiums that can be similar for taxis public transport after games.
    Oh dear bars ran out of plastic cups. that happens all the time. Saturday night at rod stewart in cork the hawkers on the pitch ran out of beer. it happens despite best planning in the world.

Some things are avoidable, but you would know better I guess.

Ignore the rest of what I said so :rolleyes:

In the grand scheme of things I couldn’t give a ****e about the bar. I was there to watch a match. But I think there’s a line between being over zealous and being ridiculous, and asking people who are clearly over 25 for ID is ridiculous. There was lots of communication before the game about bag size for entering the stadium, why could they not mention that people needed to bring ID?

Anyway...

Any other travelling fans I spoke to were of the same opinion regarding the day. We’re clearly all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Maybe if you weren't there you could avoid lecturing people who were? I get where you're coming from and why, but people are allowed to take issue with stuff from time to time. Asking a 60-something year old for ID isn't being cautious, it's being ridiculous. And while individual issues can always happen, a combination of them can actually matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A couple of points

When the event is titled sponsored by Guinness, you expect them to be able to serve it and other related drinks with some capability. They weren't. I was there. It was far worse than most stadiums I've been to as regards bar service (and I wasn't even drinking). Newcastle was testing but this was diabolical. I saw men in their 40s being asked for ID.

The fan zone was similar with two tiny bars and barely any queue movement. A guy I met in the airport said that he queued for 40 for a pint pregame.

Additionally, I was told that hey didn't take cards in the stadium so I had to queue at the single atm they had in the area which took 25 minutes.

Some of the turnstile queues were still hundreds long with ten minutes to kick off too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Seems like he's let the idea allowing games to flow influence his decision making now.

He's been doing that for the last two years.
    It drives me nuts. Penalise people consistently at the start of a game and players will stop taking the piss... That, to me, is a far better and fairer approach to make the game flow than just ignoring laws selectively, or repeatedly shouting at players to stop infringing. If you're roaring at a player to get his hands of the ball, he's already slowed it down and killed momentum, Nigel. Blow the damn whistle.
    Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bridge93 wrote: »
    stephen_n wrote: »
    And at the same time took the wrong option in the end and probably butchered a try. Had he stood Hogg up and offloaded to Lowe, it would have almost certainly been a try. That was uncharacteristic of him.

There was still a clear opportunity for Ringrose to fix Hogg and offload though. Then it would have been a foot race between Gibbons and Lowe. Ringrose should have been making to cut inside one way or the other to make Hogg choose but instead he drifted left. I just thought it’s unlike him, he’s had a few uncharacteristic choices lately. Hopefully he just needs a few weeks off and away from rugby and will be sharp and fresh for the RWC.

I live in Scotland and I've been to many games, predominantly Edinburgh, and Scotland with the occassional trip to Scotstoun. It's generally fine at Edinburgh games, they follow the trend of booing everything and of course they'd be the best team in the world if it wasn't for the fact the grass is green, the ball is odd shaped and the wind was north easterly on that day. They're generally an ok bunch though.
    The Scotland games get a different crowd though and over recent years its gotten a lot worse. Some clown had a go at me 3 years ago for standing up when Heaslip was tackled on the line. I told him to stay at him and watch on tv if he wanted an unblocked view. He actually tried to kick off at me for it but his friends sorted it out.
    Glasgow are just another level altogether. Always a nasty undertone there I felt.

fitz wrote: »
    He's been doing that for the last two years.
    It drives me nuts. Penalise people consistently at the start of a game and players will stop taking the piss... That, to me, is a far better and fairer approach to make the game flow than just ignoring laws selectively, or repeatedly shouting at players to stop infringing. If you're roaring at a player to get his hands of the ball, he's already slowed it down and killed momentum, Nigel. Blow the damn whistle.
    Infuriating.

He ran into a ruck at one stage after shouting twice at someone, Gibbins I think, to tell him take his hands off the ball. That's not reffing at all. It's happening far too much from a few referees particularly with regards to swimming up the outside of mauls.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

razorblunt wrote: »
    He ran it at one stage after shouting twice at someone, Gibbins I think, to tell him take his hands off the ball. That's not reffing at all. It's happening far too much from a few referees particularly with regards to swimming up the outside of mauls.

It applies to everything - if teams were getting pinned continuously for issue in the first 5 minutes of a game, they'd start self-policing. This obsession with letting games flow is having unintended consequences - it rewards cynical play.

Advertisement