Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just watched the game having recorded it earlier. Leinster well worth it in fairness and it’s always nice to see Glasgow’s fans bubbles popped. The boos must have been music to the Leinster fans ears.
    Ringrose was fantastic I felt a class above anyone else in the backlines of both sides.

Have to say I felt Owens was very poor, rucks again were an absolute mess, very second ruck Glasgow were taking men past the ruck out, when they weren’t doing that they were in at the side taking out the Leinster poachers legs. It wasn’t even subtle.

riddles wrote: »
    We saw a Glasgow player drop his knee on Sexton’s head in the first half. Not even commented on. Luke McGrath taken out. Glasgow rolled away strategically and were a mess in the scrums in parts. Owens kept them in it. Rugby has a ways to go to stamp out that nastiness

I thought Lowe tackling Hoggs standing leg on a clearance kick was a bit dodgy too.

thelad95 wrote: »
    This season they demanded that refs make a call on the field and then go to the TMO. Unfortunately I think this has made Owens a worse referee. He’s had some absolute shockers this year with important decisions in order to be “decisive” and nearly all of them are arguably incorrect. Today, the tackle off the ball by the Glasgow player should have been a blatant yellow but he just instantly dismissed the TMOs intervention.

Owens was never going to back down after openly being called out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought Lowe tackling Hoggs standing leg on a clearance kick was a bit dodgy too.

he's a great player and all , but I wouldn't want to play against him, has an edge that probably pisses people off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Class from JS

"And we wanted to make sure his last contribution wasn't Saracens. His last memory now will be lifting the trophy, there's not too many people who have lifted the trophy by themselves in Leinster. It's guys like Leo and Isa (Nacewa), they're the only two. The rest of the time we always do it in twos."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Can of Coke to whoever can name the trophy lifters for Leinster over the past decade.

I'll start you off... Leo and Whits in 2009.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Can of Coke to whoever can name the trophy lifters for Leinster over the past decade.

I'll start you off... Leo and Whits in 2009.

You mean who actually lifted the cups?.

Isa 2018 pro14

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

That's kind of the problem tho, Rob was in the air too. Would it still have been a penalty if he clearly touched the ball? The rule needs to be revised.

He did clearly touch the ball.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I was at the game.

**** me. What a strange experience.

There was a 40 minute queue for the bar.

There's no public transport back to Glasgow after the game, so it was a 45 minute walk in the rain.

There were some absolute scummy behaviour from some of the Glasgow fans around where I was sitting. And the booing was just ridiculous.

But a win is a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You mean who actually lifted the cups?.

Isa 2018 pro14

Isa and Sexton in 2013 before they left? cant remember if they done the Amlin and then someone else done the Pro14?

Did Joe lift one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

sullivlo wrote: »
    I was at the game.

**** me. What a strange experience.

There was a 40 minute queue for the bar.

There's no public transport back to Glasgow after the game, so it was a 45 minute walk in the rain.

There were some absolute scummy behaviour from some of the Glasgow fans around where I was sitting. And the booing was just ridiculous.

But a win is a win.

You missed almost a half of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

fitz wrote: »
    He did clearly touch the ball.

Didn't think he had. Any replays of it online?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

You missed almost a half of the game?

God no. Someone beside me did though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

sullivlo wrote: »
    God no. Someone beside me did though.

Why would they do that? Miss half a match to get a pint. That's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Downlinz

thelad95 wrote: »
    This season they demanded that refs make a call on the field and then go to the TMO. Unfortunately I think this has made Owens a worse referee. He’s had some absolute shockers this year with important decisions in order to be “decisive” and nearly all of them are arguably incorrect. Today, the tackle off the ball by the Glasgow player should have been a blatant yellow but he just instantly dismissed the TMOs intervention.

He was always the best referee because he was willing to take time out and review footage multiple times in order to arrive at a correct decision, it seems he's now being pressured to keep the game moving and his calls are suffering as a result. A real pity.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Didn't think he had. Any replays of it online?

Actually, he was just shy of it, looking back.
    But he clearly got off the ground. Agree with you, the rule needs to be looked at.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1132392517637423104

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Downlinz wrote:
    He was always the best referee because he was willing to take time out and review footage multiple times in order to arrive at a correct decision, it seems he's now being pressured to keep the game moving and his calls are suffering as a result. A real pity.

That was never the case. He was the best because he was decisive and correct. If he went to the TMO, he did so as it was necessary and it generally supported his initial response.

Now he is decisive and often incorrect. He has generally failed to make decisions in keeping with the modern directives. There's a good reason he hasn't been involved in a HEC semi or final for a couple of seasons.

He used the TMO twice today. Once was forced upon him by the TMO and he refused to change his mind despite footage being clear of an off the ball hit in the back.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I used to think the criticism of Owens was overblown, but his performance in the Munster quarter final was genuinely as bad a refereeing performance as I have ever seen. Worse than anything Clancy or Lacey have ever produced.

He wasn't that bad today, but definitely some dodgy calls.

awec wrote: »
    I used to think the criticism of Owens was overblown, but his performance in the Munster quarter final was genuinely as bad a refereeing performance as I have ever seen. Worse than anything Clancy or Lacey have ever produced.

He wasn't that bad today, but definitely some dodgy calls.

He seemed to lose sense about 18 months ago. There was an incident in the Leinster win in Thomond at Xmas 2017 where Conway tackled Lowe who was jumping for a high ball. Lowe didn't get upended or anything but he began using the phrase "rugby collision" that day and kept using it. Like Conway actually tackled Lowe around the legs.

I think the Law around this needs serious revision. Also think interference with the chaser needs to be looked at too. The first player to shove RK was the Glasgow sub 9 who also tried to body check RK just before he collided with Hogg.

Seems quite a few Leinster fans missed flights home tonight. Mate just texted. About to take off and about 20-30 empty seats.

• Advertisement

Why would they do that? Miss half a match to get a pint. That's ridiculous.

Lol. I love how you say pint.

They were decanting 330ml cans into pint glasses. It was a shambles.

They also refused to serve my 60 y.o. mother because she didn't have ID. Bizarre to say the least.

And the 40 min queues were from before the game even started.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Seems quite a few Leinster fans missed flights home tonight. Mate just texted. About to take off and about 20-30 empty seats.

All the roads around the stadium were closed so I'm not surprised people couldn't get out to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

thebaz wrote: »
    There were multiple candidates for MOTM but I'm glad Ringrose appears to have regained a bit of form after a bit of an unsettled couple of weeks.

Ringrose had a great game, and Henshaw was good too, particularly defensivly, the pack too was strong.

Larmour seams to have lost his way this season, I was really hoping he would have pushed on , and be pushing Kearney for 15 . Its like that impulsive magic he had last season has either been found out by defenses or he has been constrained to fit the professional system.

Scotland game at the WC is going to be a lot tougher than we thought 6 months ago

Larmour needs to develop a passing game. He's not strong in contact and he has never developed an offloading or distribution game.

He has great footwork but that's it really with ball in hand and you're not going to step six or seven players at this level. Everyone knows he's going to try and step a tackle, not bust it or pass it on so they're not being sat down.

If he can become a link option with a good pass he'll be lethal.

troyzer wrote: »
    Larmour needs to develop a passing game. He's not strong in contact and he has never developed an offloading or distribution game.

He has great footwork but that's it really with ball in hand and you're not going to step six or seven players at this level. Everyone knows he's going to try and step a tackle, not bust it or pass it on so they're not being sat down.

One thing he Larmour did really well was a few times he kicked the ball when near the touchline and turned Glasgow. They were chasing the game so make them do it from their own 22.

Healy was immense but Fardy Ruddock VDF and Conan were outstanding up front too. 25 tackles for both Ruddock and Fardy. Conan's carrying numbers are epic too.

Ringrose and Henshaw are so good together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Whilst the pack undoubtedly won the game, I think it was a back who had the defining moments of the game.

I think it was 15-10 when Glasgow were on the Leinster 22 and going through multiple phases when they tried to go wide. Ringrose shot up and nailed the recipient of the ball well behind the gain line.

Glasgow tried to reorganise and regain momentum but fumbled and Ringrose came through again to hack on, collect and take play into the Glasgow 22 where they conceded a yellow. I don't think Glasgow ever recovered.

There were multiple candidates for MOTM but I'm glad Ringrose appears to have regained a bit of form after a bit of an unsettled couple of weeks.

And at the same time took the wrong option in the end and probably butchered a try. Had he stood Hogg up and offloaded to Lowe, it would have almost certainly been a try. That was uncharacteristic of him.

One thing he Larmour did really well was a few times he kicked the ball when near the touchline and turned Glasgow. They were chasing the game so make them do it from their own 22.

Healy was immense but Fardy Ruddock VDF and Conan were outstanding up front too. 25 tackles for both Ruddock and Fardy. Conan's carrying numbers are epic too.

Ringrose and Henshaw are so good together.

Yeah, hard to pick out a weakness. Thought Sexton looked a little bit off. Cronin was a bit quiet as was Furlong but he got though his shift at the ruck.

I think Leinster would have seriously pulled away were it not for the weather.

Either way, Larmour needs to kick on now. It would be great to have a playmaker at full back going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he started out as a centre , but he was so good he could take anyone on and always make the break - I think he could be suffering from not really nailing down a position - i think full back is where he will settle - some people say he may be too small for todays game , but Earls , BOD and D'Arcy were not huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah, hard to pick out a weakness. Thought Sexton looked a little bit off. Cronin was a bit quiet as was Furlong but he got though his shift at the ruck.

I think Leinster would have seriously pulled away were it not for the weather.

Either way, Larmour needs to kick on now. It would be great to have a playmaker at full back going forward.

He reminds a bit of Luke, in the way he looks to step defenders. Feel maybe that aspect of his game would be better suited to the centre. FB should be more looking to slice a defensive line open with speed and the angle of attack. Larmour gives up a lot of momentum when he gets stepping. Makes it easier for a defensive line to shut him down.

thebaz wrote: »

he started out as a centre , but he was so good he could take anyone on and always make the break - I think he could be suffering from not really nailing down a position - i think full back is where he will settle - some people say he may be too small for todays game , but Earls , BOD and D'Arcy were not huge.

There's a bit of that but I do also think his passing game is lacking if he wants to be a fullback.

He just constantly carries, he never asks questions of the defense. I said this near the beginning of the season and I was crucified, he doesn't offer enough of a threat to pass. Defenders are comfortable committing to the tackle early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

We left on a a chartered bus at 9.15 for an 11pm flight and as we left there must have been about 2500+ people queueing to get into the train station. I'd never seen anything like it.

Advertisement