Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 final thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

OldRio wrote: »
    I take it you don't understand the laws.

I do, this is a case of you not understanding my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    Was never a red card. Hogg landed on his arm/back.

Was close though, Kearney didn't know where he was going to land. Very silly.
    Kearney was looking at the ball all the way, never took his eye off it and even got off the ground, if only modestly. Hogg landed on his back, it was never a red, not in anyone’s book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Looked like he landed on his neck. Of course, Kearney didn't know where he landed.

He didn't land on his neck.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest what Kearney knew or didn't when it comes to it being a yellow or red.

Silly yes, red no.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It was never a red, nor was it silly. It was an accident caused by difficulty in the chase due to Glasgow players looking to block the run. I dont know if that's an area that needs to be looked at again because with guys blocking chasing lines it can be very difficult to see when the opposition player getting is getting into the air and be able to compete properly as a result. Not sure if theres anything that can be done though really.

The first half today was excellent. The weather ruined the spectacle of the second half but we dominated it and showed why we deserve to win the trophy. Glasgow were very good, better than I expected tbh. And we were a but profligate at times. The attendance was superb, it's just a shame they wouldn't stay for the trophy presentation.

Of course it was silly. You can't touch a player in the air these days. Kearney should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

awec wrote: »
    Consistently overlooked for Ireland.

Fingers crossed he stays fit thru to the WC. Hope Joe allows for an open competition for spots.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Kearney was looking at the ball all the way, never took his eye off it and even got off the ground, if only modestly. Hogg landed on his back, it was never a red, not in anyone’s book.

Kearney took him out in the air. After doing that, Hogg could have landed anywhere. It was stupid, no way around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

I do, this is a case of you not understanding my post.

I understand exactly what you are at. Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    That last 15 minutes is one of the best closers to a game I've ever seen....

Played the conditions, the opposition and the ref perfectly... Even if warriors scored a try

Kearney got a yellow card, could have been a red.

It was never a red, nor was it silly. It was an accident caused by difficulty in the chase due to Glasgow players looking to block the run. I dont know if that's an area that needs to be looked at again because with guys blocking chasing lines it can be very difficult to see when the opposition player getting is getting into the air and be able to compete properly as a result. Not sure if theres anything that can be done though really.

The first half today was excellent. The weather ruined the spectacle of the second half but we dominated it and showed why we deserve to win the trophy. Glasgow were very good, better than I expected tbh. And we were a but profligate at times. The attendance was superb, it's just a shame they wouldn't stay for the trophy presentation.
    It’s funny I thought we were poor and they were poorer. The weather dictated that though. We played the conditions better than they did, but that was nothing close to a vintage performance. Johnny made 5 errors in the first 11 minutes, that’s unbelievable.

He didn't land on his neck.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest what Kearney knew or didn't when it comes to it being a yellow or red.

Silly yes, red no.

That's what I said, it looked like it on first viewing. That's why I thought it was a red.

No, it matters where the player lands, Kearney wasn't to know where Hogg was going to land, that's why it was so silly.

Of course it was silly. You can't touch a player in the air these days. Kearney should know better.

That's kind of the problem tho, Rob was in the air too. Would it still have been a penalty if he clearly touched the ball? The rule needs to be revised.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    I understand exactly what you are at. Bless.

What's your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Stuart Hogg is a curate's egg of a player.
    Attacking wise he can be brilliant but he makes poor decisions defensively and his clearance kicks can be very poor. I also don't understand how professional players can't kick with both feet. Left legged players tend to be worse for it.

Sexton was a mixed bag. I can't see him getting through a WC campaign and his form is patchy. He doesn't chase his own kicks anymore either, perhaps fearing injury. It would be a big call to put Carberry in there though.

Ruddock had a good game. He brings a great work ethic and balance to a backrow.
    A good win for Leinster. It has to be hard to regroup after the CC final loss so credit is due.

Was the crowd about 47,000?

That's kind of the problem tho, Rob was in the air too. Would it still have been a penalty if he clearly touched the ball? The rule needs to be revised.

Whatever about changing the rule, we all know it, Kearney knows it. When you're winning by 8 points you don't risk getting a red.

That's what I said, it looked like it on first viewing. That's why I thought it was a red.

No, it matters where the player lands, Kearney wasn't to know where Hogg was going to land, that's why it was so silly.

I'm not arguing that it's silly. It's not a red.

I'm done.

I'm not arguing that it's silly. It's not a red.

I'm done.

I'm not arguing that it was a red. :confused:

Kearney got a yellow card, could have been a red.

Yes, it could have been a red if he fell on his neck or head. I made that comment in reply to someone who said we saw out the game brilliantly. Kearney risking a red card like that doesn't fit that description.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Congrats Leinster, that was a hard-fought win and they really dug it out. Finally a bit of good cheer for Irish rugby in a disappointing season. The lads will head off on their holidays in better form and come back with a pep in their step for world cup camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst the pack undoubtedly won the game, I think it was a back who had the defining moments of the game.

I think it was 15-10 when Glasgow were on the Leinster 22 and going through multiple phases when they tried to go wide. Ringrose shot up and nailed the recipient of the ball well behind the gain line.

Glasgow tried to reorganise and regain momentum but fumbled and Ringrose came through again to hack on, collect and take play into the Glasgow 22 where they conceded a yellow. I don't think Glasgow ever recovered.

There were multiple candidates for MOTM but I'm glad Ringrose appears to have regained a bit of form after a bit of an unsettled couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Congrats Leinster. Not a classic but a good game. Leinster should have won it by more. Very rare for Sexton not to pass the ball and score the try in first half. He went the wrong way and then passed poorly.

Should have been a yellow on McGrath in first half, also Glasgow spent the entire game offside. Owens was itching at different times to give them penalties. Especially in the scrum sequence. They should have taken the points, no matter what Leinster did he wasn't going to give a penalty try and as soon as he got the chance gave Glasgow a penalty. Poor judgement.

Similar when Kearney was off, they had to do something. BOD said this before with Owens, he will always give the team defending a penalty. Like he did against NZ in the game that never happened. They needed to take a kick at posts or something. Sexton was out on his feet and that was probably why they didnt play it.

Kearney yellow, well I think if you watch his run he was blocked by a glasgow player, that spilt second change in direction meant he was too late and should have pulled out....it was a yellow but you never know. I think the video ref was trying to get a red but Owens had made decision and stuck to it.

Larmour I thought done well, Henshaw and Ringrose finally got a few games together and started to show what they can do. Lowe will be a great addition for next years 6 nations. Ruddock/VDF/Conan should all go to WC. On current form I would start 2 and have Standar at 6. Ruddock off bench.

Great win, another trophy and time for the guys to get a rest. Good to see a lot of the younger players closing out the game

• Advertisement

Owens is such a **** ref these days. The breakdown was an omnishambles. The sequence leading up to Healy's try was emblematic of how he refs games. Goes a long way towards impacting the spectacle in a negative way imo.

Re: the Kearney YC, they really need to sort out the way it's interpreted.

A player can be honest in his intent to contest for the ball and lose; in the process contacting with the opposition player causing one of them to land awkwardly.

If Hogg had gone up and smashed a hip into Kearney's head whilst winning the ball, with both players competing, would that warrant a penalty? Potential for serious injury to him, probably HIA. Why is that acceptable, but what happened a penalty? Not arguing against Kearney getting a YC mind, but the overall disparity with interpreting the situation currently.

The rule as it stands now basically allows one player to be as reckless as they want, as long as they win the ball. The contest in certain respect is less about the ball, and more about getting into the dominant position/ higher in the air, at least with respect to possible penalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Re: the Kearney YC, they really need to sort out the way it's interpreted.

A player can be honest in his intent to contest for the ball and lose; in the process contacting with the opposition player causing one of them to land awkwardly.

If Hogg had gone up and smashed a hip into Kearney's head whilst winning the ball, with both players competing, would that warrant a penalty? Potential for serious injury to him, probably HIA. Why is that acceptable, but what happened a penalty? Not arguing against Kearney getting a YC mind, but the overall disparity with interpreting the situation currently.

The rule as it stands now basically allows one player to be as reckless as they want, as long as they win the ball. The contest in certain respect is less about the ball, and more about getting into the dominant position/ higher in the air, at least with respect to possible penalities.

They need to stop blockers, they are the ones putting both players at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

A lot has to do with the picture you paint to the ref and whether your in control of yourself. Kearney arrived too late and fast because of the blockers, couldn't time his jump and was out of control. Easy decision for Owens.

baas baa wrote: »
    A lot has to do with the picture you paint to the ref and whether your in control of yourself. Kearney arrived too late and fast because of the blockers, couldn't time his jump and was out of control. Easy decision for Owens.

Didn't get the impression he was out of control, Hogg beat him to the jump to my eyes. He had arms up, in the direction of the ball.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They need to stop blockers, they are the ones putting both players at risk

I agree.

Once the kicker put the ball up players between the chasers and the landing zone should be required to clear a path. It is then incumbent on the chaser to make sure they will contest cleanly. They will be better placed to make that decision because they won’t be being blocked or being nudged.

What you have now is defenders getting in the way deliberately to slow the chaser down. This is actually causing the problem. All teams this year following on from Ireland v England have deliberately getting in the way to slow Irish players kick/chase down.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anyway, at this stage, just gonna put it out there..

Had cian healy motm @40/1

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Buer wrote: »
    There were multiple candidates for MOTM but I'm glad Ringrose appears to have regained a bit of form after a bit of an unsettled couple of weeks.

Ringrose had a great game, and Henshaw was good too, particularly defensivly, the pack too was strong.

Larmour seams to have lost his way this season, I was really hoping he would have pushed on , and be pushing Kearney for 15 . Its like that impulsive magic he had last season has either been found out by defenses or he has been constrained to fit the professional system.

Scotland game at the WC is going to be a lot tougher than we thought 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭riddles

We saw a Glasgow player drop his knee on Sexton’s head in the first half. Not even commented on. Luke McGrath taken out. Glasgow rolled away strategically and were a mess in the scrums in parts. Owens kept them in it. Rugby has a ways to go to stamp out that nastiness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This season they demanded that refs make a call on the field and then go to the TMO. Unfortunately I think this has made Owens a worse referee. He’s had some absolute shockers this year with important decisions in order to be “decisive” and nearly all of them are arguably incorrect. Today, the tackle off the ball by the Glasgow player should have been a blatant yellow but he just instantly dismissed the TMOs intervention.

Advertisement