Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Shoog

It took a little over a couple of generation for the Church of England to become a minority cult in the UK, so I don't think I will be waiting that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The fact that ireland voted no had nothing to do with religion - pretty much every referendum in the last ten years or so that the bishops campaigned against was passed. Before the 8th, when was hte last time the Church campaigned for a vote and people actually listened? Certainly wasn't abortion, divorce or marriage equality.

So the number of catholic voters is just as irrlevant as the number of Jedi or pastafarian voters.

And for the love of God, anything the census says about "religion" can be prtty much dismissed, because you know as a well as I do, that claiming a religion on a form doesn't mean **** when it comes to actually living your life according to a religion. Can't believe people bring up the census to show church influence in modern ireland!

Thus, the number of catholics in ireland is just as irrelvant as the number of Jedis or pastafarians (bless his noodly goodness).

The catholic church isn't dead in ireland, but it's losing relevance and has been for some time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Probably not if you’re going to compare apples and oranges like that, you could even claim Catholicism is a minority cult in Ireland now if you like. Meanwhile as regards the status of the Church of England in the UK:

Results of the 2021 Census for England and Wales (that is, not including Scotland and Northern Ireland), which asked the question "What is your religion?", showed that Christianity is the largest religion, followed by IslamHinduismSikhismJudaism and Buddhism in terms of number of adherents, while Shamanism is the fastest growing religion. Among Christians, Anglicans are the most common denomination, followed by Roman CatholicsPresbyteriansMethodists and Baptists. This, and the relatively large number of individuals with nominal or no religious affiliations, has led commentators to variously describe the United Kingdom as a multi-faith and secularised society. The Census has also been critcised by statisticians and demographers for its use of a leading question which critics say inflates the number of people reporting a religious identity. Other major surveys which ask a differently worded question find a majority of people in the UK do not belong to a religion, with Christianity the largest religion.

The Church of England is the state church of its largest member country by population, England. The Church of England defines itself as neither fully Reformed Protestantnor fully Catholic. The Monarch of the United Kingdom is the supreme governor of the Church. Some British people and organisations in the United Kingdom, such as Humanists UK, hold the view that the UK should become a secular state, with no official or established religion. A survey published in April 2022 also revealed that whereas a fifth of those polled thought that Anglican bishops should remain in the House of Lords, three-fifths thought they (as unelected clerics) did not have a place in a modern legislature and another fifth were "don't knows". Commenting on this, Martyn Percy, former dean of Christ Church, Oxford, noted that "To the extent that the Church [of England] retains unique privileges in comparison with any other religious organizations, it can be said that the UK has religious freedom – but, embarrassingly, not religious equality."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭yagan

If the census was accurate I'd be hearing Irish conversations all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Recently I was driving past a church in our town with my eight year old girl. She asked me why there was more cars there than usual. I said that there must be a mass on. She replied “that’s not for people like us, that’s for old people”…

Soon there will be no priests or a regular congregation. They are all entering their final decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Shoog

You obviously don't understand that people who have never been to church and know nearly zilch about Christianity still regularly tick the church of England box whenever asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The handful of crematoriums in Dublin are going to be inundated in the coming years. Time to start building more to meet demand.

Weddings are fine, plenty of venues and celebrants for those.

It can’t be the first time you’ve come across the phenomenon of someone claiming that because of the outcome of anything, everyone agrees with them? In this case the poster who is Catholic themselves, was making the argument that the people agreed with the Bishops. It’s more a case of a broken clock being right twice a day than the idea that anyone even gave a toss what the Bishops argued, given the Bishops have always been preaching the same argument, regardless of any referendum.

Anything the census says about religion can’t be dismissed, because what it’s used for is to determine Government policy and where religion is particularly important for the Dept. Of Education and Skills who use it to make determinations about the establishment and funding of schools, or the Department of Health using it to make decisions about Hospitals and and so on, various different functions that for sure, most of us just either don’t think about, or don’t care about.

That’s why it’s important to know how many of the population are of any particular religious denomination or none, and why those people who did put down Pastafarian or Jedi on the census form really weren’t helping anyone, though I’ve no doubt they imagine they were hilarious altogether:

https://www.thejournal.ie/census-religion-jedi-knight-2723572-Apr2016/

https://humanists.uk/2021/03/12/why-you-shouldnt-write-jedi-as-your-religion-in-the-census/

I do, and I understand why you’d be keen that they wouldn’t do that either as from your perspective they’re messing up the statistics! See the same point I made to PB about why the religion question on the census is important.

You've made the mistake here of thinking religious domination implies faithful devotee. You know better than that.

And it can and should be dismissed because Ireland is not the non-secular state.

Why are pretending that the census is a baromoter of public opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭yagan

A lot of people who think they're Roman Catholic don't realise that only the clergy are the church and everyone else who turns up are the flock.

Post edited by yagan on

I do know better than that, which is why I don’t make the same ‘mistake’ that the poster making the claim did. The reason I say ‘mistake’ in inverted commas is because I don’t believe it was a mistake, but rather a comment intended to wind up atheists who the poster claims are easily exited. I’m not atheist, but the post was a pretty obvious attempt to get a reaction, it’s why I didn’t react to the post directly.

It can’t be dismissed, for the reasons I’ve mentioned already. I’ve not pretended that it is a barometer of public opinion, I gave the reasons why it’s important and where it IS useful. I’m aware it doesn’t represent a barometer of public opinion (so is the media, but it doesn’t stop them writing excited articles about the demise of Catholicism and the rise of non-religious demographics, fudging the figures to suit their narrative), but rather all it does is measure a single data point. It doesn’t question the veracity or validity of anyone’s faith, nor does it offer a space for an individual opinion which is open to multiple interpretations. It’s incredibly precise in the data it attempts to capture, which is why even if the person filling out the census form knows fcukall about the faith, that isn’t what’s being asked for or used in the data. It’s simply asking how they identify.

Fair enough, but he was responding to the point made by another poster that "we Catholics have just kicked butt in the recent referendums" with factual and accurate information to the contrary: the number of catholics has dropped statistically, and it has.

As we're not commenting on actually practicing, the error was made by the previous poster.

You also said:

It’s not the dumbest conflation I’ve ever heard, considering the idea that according to census figures in 2022, there were over 3.5 million Catholics in Ireland, about 2 million of those eligible to vote, and we could say half of those turned out to vote, so that’s still 1 million Catholics of the total polled (1.5 million),

which is using census statistics to imply people who ticked catholic on the sensus automatically voted along catholic lines; which means that this

with 2/3 of those polled voting against the proposed amendments.

is a correaltaion/casuation fallacy: there's no proof that that the correlation of being catholic and voting against the amendment is the casue of their voting against the amendement.

QED - there can be no link between being catholic on the census or in daily life and voting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

You mean I won't get fired and jailed for not using pronouns other people want me to use?

Oh wait, that's how things used to be when we had the highest church attendance in the world.

Can't guarantee the being fired bit because that's between you and your employer; don't think jail is on the agenda though - it's never happened (I'll assume you're smart enough to not mention Enoch Burke). One way or the other, it's not going to be your religion that lands you there, it'll be the fact that you committed a crime.

What are our levels or church attendence - is it even measured officially?

EDIT: 35% in 2016

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0821/986468-after-francis-whats-the-future-for-the-church-in-ireland/

EDIT 2: Apparently, we're not even the highest in Europe - that honour goes to Poland.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2017/05/10/religious-commitment-and-practices/

I know what I said, which is the point you cited, and STILL missed:

It’s not the dumbest conflation I’ve ever heard

Meaning, I’ve heard much worse, not by much though 😂

And as for the “we Catholics” bit… you know my favourite response to “we” anything, where I have no wish to be included in the posters narrative who’s committed to the fallacy:

It’s not the dumbest conflation I’ve ever heard - which is why I said "fair enough" and attributed error to someone else.

Right, and you still moved the goalposts to an argument that was never made, no point in the QED when the argument was that the people of Ireland agreed with the Bishops. It was never that there was any link between being Catholic on the census or in daily life and voting no. That’s why I pointed out that while the poster can make claims about what “we Catholics” did or didn’t do, they would have to acknowledge that we don’t all think alike, if they were trying to argue that the outcome of this particular referendum was a result of people agreeing with the Bishops.

I could see how they would put two and two together and come up with five. That’s all.

Ah but you forget, the past is a different tense to the present. Ireland did have the highest church attendance in the world, at over 95% back in the 80s.

You mention "official" figures. Well the above stat was one I recall reported on RTE at that time (the past, not the present). That was when RTE reported the news. Today we have Gript media for that.

Since you mentioned Enoch Burke, he is in jail at the moment because of his views. The courts and propagandists will tell you it is for other reasons but his beliefs are what guide his words and actions.

If you lived in Nazi occupied Europe, you would have been commenting a crime punishable by death of you harboured people the regime wanted to "process" in some way. So the laws of man (and woman) sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Enoch Burke is in jail because of his behaviour, not his views. You are in conspiracy theory territory with that stuff, but it requires no evidence to believe, just like religion.

You are going all the way back to the 80's to try and make a point, what does that say about your point?

You mention the Nazis, their allegiances with the Vatican are well documented. The first political pact the Nazis entered into was the Concordat of 1933, Hitler himself said he was doing the work of God in Mein Kampf, a book which the Vatican didn't ban when it had the chance to. The Vatican exchanged control over education in Germany for the Nazis to have control over everything else. The Vatican also helped Nazis escape Europe after WW2 through the ratlines to South America.

You say the laws of man (and woman) leave a lot to be desired, if your god is responsible for the good, they are also responsible for the bad. You can't pick and choose, well you can, but I will call you out on it.

• Advertisement

I know full well that the past is the past, sure and the church was far more influential and I've no reason to doubt your claim about attendances back in the 80s, but that wasn't your argument.

And YOU know full well Burke is in jail for contemp of court and chooses to be so; and you know full well Gript is a private right-wing publication and not an official impartial news sourse, so the rest of your post is trolling and you'll forgive me for not biting :) have a nice evening!

If I can't site the 80s to make a point, perhaps you would like to discount all of human history as you're at it. After all, most of it happened before the 80s.

Yes before the outbreak of WWII the Vatican agreed not to criticise Nazism in order to protect the Church in Germany. Basically the church was blackmailed but you are right, they should not have compromised with evil. If you watch the movie The Scarlet and the black, the protagonist, a priest did help the family of the Gestapo commander escape to Switzerland because they would have been killed if he hadn't.

The UN helped a million perpetrators of the genocide in Rwanda escape to the DRC, having done nothing to stop the genocide and even trying to keep the killing hidden from the world. So the UN are worthy of condemnation but the Church was simply trying to save people, be they Jews during the war or anyone in danger after the war.

God did not make evil. Evil created itself by rejecting God. The parable of the seed sower provides the analogy. But another is to be found in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Remember the bad egg?

You are referencing statistics from the 80's now, and for what? Ireland did have a high church attendance, it doesn't now, which is the more important part do you think?

Gonna need some evidence on the black mail claim. The church entered its pact with Hitler (and Mussolini as well) in order to disband the Christian part so the Nazis could have a straight path to power, and they did so in exchange for control of the education system. They also rang the church bells on Hitlers birthday, Nazis swore and oath to god when they were enlisted, they have a reference to god on their belt buckles. It is not hard to know this. If you are getting your history from a movie, maybe read a few books.

Can you tell me why then, the Pope had to apologize for the Churches role in the Rwandan genocide?

I thought God made everything, but not evil? Is't that very convenient, when something good happens, it is Gods plan, when it doesn't...well God missed that part then I guess.

This is how religion makes people think and say stupid things.

I thought God made everything, but not evil? Is't that very convenient, when something good happens, it is Gods plan, when it doesn't...well God missed that part then I guess.

Especially when He employed some of the most evil pricks in the history of the State. or maybe that was someone else....?

Shhhhh, do not mention all the acts of evil done in his name, he really didn’t want them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Also, let's not forget the insects that eat children's eyes out from the inside - did they reject God? Or was it the chlidren who's eyes are being eaten out (assuming they had the chance)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Why don't we just live and let live ? I'm Catholic, I pray, I go to Mass.

My best friend of near 30 years is a devout Atheist. We agree to disagree.

The religious and the secular can happily co-exist without taking the p**s out of each other's beliefs. Ricky Gervais, famously atheist, does a cracking routine on it "sure keep praying, but we'll do the chemotherapy as well...". Nailed it!

Advertisement