Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Maybe atheists get excitable when the church and their minions try to dictate to the whole population how we should live our lives.

We want contraception, abortion, divorce and same-sex marriage. We are against discrimination of women and the LGBTQ community.

Feel free to live YOUR life in accordance with how the priests dictate. But kindly keep your nose out of other people’s business.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So in my mind that catholic ireland is dead

Now at least I have a better understanding of what you meant earlier - that particular form of Catholic Ireland is dead. One of the ways though by which to address the issue of recruitment, and its acknowledged that it is by no means a long term solution, is to recruit men from abroad:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20190927-the-imported-priests-saving-irelands-ageing-clergy

There are simply more opportunities for young men in Ireland today than there were in the 60s and 70s which has contributed to the dramatic decline in young men joining the priesthood. Also contributing to this decline is the fact that the role of the priest in Irish society is not seen with the reverence and respect it once was, where priests were often in positions of authority, power and influence in their communities - a very attractive prospect for a young man with no prospects. Certainly when I was young in the 90s, I considered joining the priesthood, though not because I felt I’d been called by God, it had more to do with the idea that it seemed like a great way to meet women (Bishop Casey and Father Cleary were regularly featured on RTE television, for all the wrong reasons, much the opposite reason they were featured on RTE television in previous decades).

Little had I known at the time (and it wasn’t the only thing we now know the Hierarchy were in denial about), that the priesthood was also a ‘safe haven’ or a cover, as it were, for men who were expected to remain celibate throughout their lives, given that homosexual acts were illegal in Irish Law. It allowed such men to avoid not only prosecution, but persecution. Later, attempts were made to scapegoat such men as the cause of the abuse of young boys by members of the clergy, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. It was the access that was given to priests is the reason it became an attractive position for men who wanted to abuse young boys, and nothing whatsoever to do with anyone’s sexual orientation:

Study after study shows that homosexuality is not a predictor of child molestation. This is also true for priests, according to a famous study by John Jay College of Criminal Justice in the wake of revelations in 2002 about child sex abuse in the church. The John Jay research, which church leaders commissioned, found that same-sex experience did not make priests more likely to abuse minors, and that four out of five people who said they were victims were male. Researchers found no single cause for this abuse, but identified that abusive priests’ extensive access to boys had been critical to their choice of victims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/us/it-is-not-a-closet-it-is-a-cage-gay-catholic-priests-speak-out.html

The priesthood now just doesn’t offer the same opportunities it once did to such men, which is also a contributing factor in the decline of the priesthood in Ireland.

The Roman Catholic Church in Ireland as a whole, has dramatically changed from what it once was, though the Catholic Faith remains relatively unchanged. It’s why there is such an apparent disconnect between the figures from the census, and the practice of what was once considered the embodiment of expression of the Catholic Church in Ireland with all its false humility and pietous preaching.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/the-faith-of-ireland-s-catholics-continues-despite-all-1.3592019

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They can recruit from abroad, and that is happening. But they will have to adjust to the changing population mix and age profile, just as all aspects of society will. Like the monarchy in England, they are long lived because of their ability to adapt.

I notice the OP who posed the question only lasted a few months after that on Boards. Some divine vengance being wreaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You’re trying to equate the recent referendums with Catholicism…you should maybe get down off the high horse before you hurt yourself.

Census figures show a decline in Catholic numbers, mass numbers are drastically down, shortage of nuns and priests.

Are you sure about your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm a mid 60 S man

RC and really content about it,

Regular church goer,

Am involved loosely with my chosen church and find it v comforting when troubles arise,or family worries etc,

I fully believe the resurrection etc

Am a simple believer,

Lost 2 kids ,

Buried 4 siblings in 6 years and can categorically state that I'd be in the river or the madhouse without the man above,

• Advertisement

It’s not the dumbest conflation I’ve ever heard, considering the idea that according to census figures in 2022, there were over 3.5 million Catholics in Ireland, about 2 million of those eligible to vote, and we could say half of those turned out to vote, so that’s still 1 million Catholics of the total polled (1.5 million), with 2/3 of those polled voting against the proposed amendments.

The fact that the outcome of the referendums coincided with the Bishops appeals to vote no doesn’t mean however that people voting paid so much as a blind bit of notice to anything the Bishops had to say on the matter, it would just as easily be explained by Irish society’s pervasive attitude to unmarried mothers and their children being a burden on Irish society and the Welfare State:

Founder of One Family, Maura O’Dea Richards, said, “When we set up Cherish/One Family in October 1972 unmarried mothers were being ostracised in society and imprisoned in the laundries. Now 50 years later, it’s so sad to see these ridiculous attitudes to people parenting alone persist. A lot has changed in Ireland since 1972, and we now like to think of ourselves as a progressive forward-thinking country, but we still seem to have this blind spot about those parenting alone. It’s just not right and will continue until Ireland embraces all families. A good first start would be to change article 41.3 of the Constitution on the definition of the family.”

https://onefamily.ie/press-release-80-of-lone-parents-report-experiencing-stigma-or-judgemental-attitudes/

I’m not sure the outcome of the referendums would have been any different even if the Government hadn’t made a complete balls of the wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

If I was asked by a survey or even someone I don't know what my religion was I'd say Catholic. But I never go to mass and never pray ever. I went to mass when I was a child with my ma and brother and sister but I was just there and didn't pray but did do follow everyone else when you stand up or kneel.

One thing I will say though is they really should allow priests to marry as there would be no shortage of priests then. They really should move with the times.

One thing I will say though is they really should allow priests to marry as there would be no shortage of priests then.

Church of England, which allows priests to marry (though marriage after divorce is not permitted), and allows women to be ordained, is seeing a similar shortage of vocations, so it ain’t about that:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/02/church-of-england-ageing-clergy-crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

The fact that you are so ignorant of your faith as a confirmed Catholic is either a reflection of your preparation or that you are moron.

It’s a false equivalence to say (what the poster was trying to say, at least) that the no vote somehow aligned with being a Catholics standing to be heard.

There is no evidence to suggest that, it had nothing to do with religion at all. Saying “we catholics kicked butt” to somehow suggest that it was catholics that cause the No vote is pure fantasy. It’s coincidence that Bishops happened to say to vote No, there were plenty of others saying to vote No as well. It’s jumping on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement

Seeing some of your posts in here, we all know who the moron is. Men want to marry virgins, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭csirl

????? In my constituency the local ultra catholic parish activists are essentially the local FF constituency party. FF were one of the government parties who proposed the referenda changes and campaigned for a Yes/Yes vote. In this context, you could say that the catholic church got its butt kicked and suffered its biggest referenda defeats in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

You do see how completely dumb that sounds, right?

It’s definitely not a false equivalence anyway, because the poster didn’t suggest anything was the same as the other. The poster claims that the people agreed with the Catholic Bishops, and the evidence which suggests that is in the results of the referendums. It’s not suggesting Catholics were standing to be heard, it’s suggesting that the people wanted to uphold Catholic social teachings about the Family - that it was based upon marriage and so on, as it is already written in the Irish Constitution. The wording is in there in the first place because of Catholic social teaching about the Family and the role of women within the Family unit and acknowledging the importance of their contribution to Irish society.

It was Feminist groups who originally opposed its inclusion, and it was Feminist groups who wanted it gone. Ireland didn’t turn Feminist overnight, either for the referendums just gone, the divorce referendums, the 8th amendment (inserted or deleted), marriage equality referendum, children’s referendum, citizenship referendum, etc, so I wouldn’t be using the results of any referendum to claim anything one way or another, because if the poster is arguing that “we Catholics” did anything, then they would have to acknowledge that if that holds true - then “we Catholics” clearly do not think alike, as much as that poster wishes to believe, nor as much as anyone who imagines they have kicked Catholic ass wishes to believe, regardless of the nonsense about mass attendance figures and all the rest of it, as though Irish society hasn’t changed since the Constitution was voted on back in 1937.

Back then the majority of the people were Catholic too, and STILL the Constitution was only adopted by 56% in favour, 44% against, with a turnout of 75% among an electorate eligible to vote of 1.7 million people. Mass attendances are down because people don’t feel pressured into it any more, whereas back then the pressure to attend mass was much greater. People were simply humiliated into attending mass. It wasn’t done out of free choice, it was done out of fear. Mass attendance means nothing in terms of whether or not people still hold the traditional values espoused by the Catholic Church, and our education system alone is evidence of that fact.

It’s simple.

There is a difference between people voting No because of their Catholic faith, and people voting No and happen to be Catholic.

The church can bandwagon hop if they wish, but there is no clear sign or evidence that points to a link between a No vote victory and Catholic ethos.

It’s even more simple than that - the Bishops weren’t jumping on the bandwagon, they’re driving the bloody bandwagon!

Much of the social parts of the Irish Constitution are informed by Catholic ideology. There’s where the clear as daylight link is, between a no vote and Catholic ethos.

Do you honestly think that what bishops said had that much of an impact on this referendum, over say the general dissatisfaction with the current government that it's more likely that the No vote was a way of communicating that to the current coalition?

You are making a false equivalency (again) but bringing in the constitution. Go and look at the thread on boards about that referendum and it will give you a pulse check on the reasons why, you yourself pointed out the wording was confusing.

But you are giving credit to bishops over everything else (the original poster was) despite no evidence to prove it.

Edit

Case in point -

Few claimed it was a conservative backlash. Some feminist and other progressive groups had urged “no” votes, calling the proposals vague or insipid.

The Lawyers For No group criticised the proposals’ wording and lack of legislative scrutiny and warned of unintended effects. “I trust individual voters. They looked at what was being put before them and they said ‘no’,” said Michael McDowell, a senator and former justice minister who was part of the group. “This is an emphatic repudiation of what I think was unwise social experimentation with the constitution.”

Some worried that widening the definition of family could affect rules on tax and citizenship. Others said expanding the burden of care from women to the whole family elided the state’s responsibility.

So as you can see, the vagueness and confusing aspect of the referendum was the driving factor, not what catholic bishops said.

Post edited by Frank Bullitt on

• Advertisement

No I don’t, and that’s not what the other poster was suggesting either. I’d be surprised if anyone paid a blind bit of attention to anything the Bishops had to say on the subject. In reality they could just as well have kept their mouths shut and said nothing and the outcome would still have been the same.

I’ve no idea why you’re making out I’m making a false equivalence when I’m pointing out that section of the Constitution which relates to the Family, founded on the institution of Marriage, was informed by Catholic social teaching. The referendums were intended to amend it. I never said the wording was confusing either, I said that Government had made a balls of the wording, and even if they hadn’t, the outcome would still have been the same, because of the idea of equating unmarried mothers and their children as a Family, with the idea of the Family based upon marriage, just didn’t jive with the majority of the electorate.

The original poster was only on a wind-up, suggesting that atheists are easily excitable (they’re really not, it’s why atheism has never gotten much attention, they’re generally pacifist), but what they said was true in respect of the fact that the people agreed with the Bishops. The Bishops didn’t just come out and declare their interest in the run up to the referendum; they’ve been promoting their position for decades, in every facet of Irish society - family, education, politics, sports, music, literature, pretty much any cultural activity. I’m not giving the Bishops credit for the outcome of the referendum. I think it would be silly however not to acknowledge the influence of the Catholic Church in Irish society, and to claim that it’s dead on the basis of declining mass attendance, or the rise in the number of non-religious in the census (300k in 5 years, definitely nothing to get excited about!), are indicators of the death of the Catholic Church.

To give you some idea of just how entrenched the Church is in Irish society, and how it propagates its ideology in ways that other ideologies simply can’t:

Couple of years ago now, I was at a Scouts meeting with my son, and I met the priest there, ‘Jesus you’re everywhere!’ he said. I could’ve pointed out that while we’d often meet at mass, he too was also a member of the Board of Management in my sons school, and he was often at the same hurling and rugby matches I was at, and here he is now at the Scouts. Instead I just said “Really Father? 🤨”

There was no point in trying to convince him it was anything other than coincidence 😂

You are pointing at the constitution and I am pointing at the legislation that was proposed for the referendum. It makes no difference that the constitution was constructed with bishops in the room, I am only talking about the reasons why the No vote succeeded. You have no evidence (again) to back up that you think even if the wording was done better, it would still have been a No, it was very clear from voters that the confsion with the wording was a factor in the No decision.

I really don't think the poster was on a wind up either, not going off their posting so far in this thread. No clue about the excitable part either, if it was a dig then it went over my head, as does the pacifist comment as well.

And I have no clue whatsoever what your last point is meant to mean, you know a priest? That is great...

You are pointing at the constitution and I am pointing at the legislation that was proposed for the referendum.

Ok I think we’ll leave it there 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Like most Irish including my atheist self you are "culturally catholic". As in a lot of the holiday's, myths and rituals of your people are related to the church's.

Going by the majority you would have to assume the bandwagon never left the driveway because 60% of the electorate didn't show up.

At most you could claim 30% of the electorate listened to the bishops but obviously the number isn't that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is just taking the mick

Many who wouldn't proverbially píss on the RCC if it was on fire called for no votes.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

... wavy lines ...

When my class was finishing 6th class we all got mysteriously called in, one by one, to the office of the head brother. Those who preceded me didn't want to talk about it but seemed weirded out by it nonetheless. I awaited my fate with no possibility of changing it. (is that primary level stoicism?)

So I was called into his office and closed the door behind me with no-one else present. He then insisted I sit on his lap. Maybe this was his idea of making me comfortable but it really was the total opposite. He didn't feel me up and I don't think he had an erection. He then asked me if I wanted to be a "christian" "brother" (danger quotes because they were neither). Using all my 12-yo diplomatic skills I said I'd think about it, I couldn't stand them. I was then released to gen pop. Ugh.

In recent years, this man, now long retired, has had several letters printed in the Irish Times about social affairs, I doubt they're aware of how he treated kids.

Life ain't always empty.

Winning hearts and minds, and maybe even souls!, one spittle-flecked abusive post at a time. Well done.

BTW I'm a confirmed Catholic also 👍️

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Shoog

Really can't happen soon enough for me. Well on the way but but a long road to travel before catholism is a minority cult in Ireland.

• Advertisement

It’s obviously not the way you intended it, but that kind of rhetoric reminds me of the lads who claim that we’re going to be a minority in our own country at some unspecified point in the distant, like really, really distant future. Another claim I’ve seen bandied about is that Islam is going to take over Europe by 2050.

Both those things are as likely to happen as the idea of Catholicism becoming a minority cult in Ireland. A long road to travel… you sure you’ve given yourself enough time to be correct about that? It’s not as though any of us will live long enough to see it, so I wouldn’t spend too much time thinking about it.

Advertisement