Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options
  • 24-05-2019 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

With that resounding 87% Yes in the exit poll for the divorce referendum surely that signifies the final nail in Catholic Ireland's coffin?

I for one am delighted.
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Fingers crossed.

nah

Ireland has long been comfortable being a catholic country that doesn't actually adhere to catholicism

far better if we were honest about it but alas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Catholic Ireland may be gone but maybe Christian Ireland has got stronger.
    Great community spirit, great support of charities,
    greater acceptance of differences. Extremism of any religion, political system is to be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Seems the funeral wedding first communion confirmation aspect of it is well alive

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm sure practicing Catholic voted yes as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Catholic Ireland dead? Please God!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plenty Bouncy Castle Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

buried wrote: »
    Seems the funeral wedding first communion confirmation aspect of it is well alive

When they have been excavated from the health system and school system we will be able to say Ireland is 'post Catholic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

buried wrote: »

Agree.

I'm 'home' nearly a year after being away for 20.
    We're in rural Ireland and my kids have gone into a small local primary. They are the only kids in the school of 100 who don't "do religion", or in other words, the only non-catholics. The whole communion/confirmation thing is HUGE. I totally underestimated it. Now I don't think that these families are going to mass regularly outside of this, but I don't really know because I don't be going :)

On a side note, I have found that in rural Ireland if you don't go to mass or play GAA then you are not really part of the community. Everything revolves around this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd take the cardinals and bishops over the insidious dykofascist quangistas any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

They no longer influence laws the way they did - this is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

yasmina wrote: »
    Agree.

We're in rural Ireland and my kids have gone into a small local primary. They are the only kids in the school of 100 who don't "do religion", or in other words, the only non-catholics. The whole communion/confirmation thing is HUGE. I totally underestimated it. Now I don't think that these families are going to mass regularly outside of this, but I don't really know because I don't be going :)

On a side note, I have found that in rural Ireland if you don't go to mass or play GAA then you are not really part of the community. Everything revolves around this.

Personally I like to live where people share my values and I feel part of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Until they are fully extracted from our education and health systems then no Catholic Ireland is not dead unfortunately. Not yet anyway but we can continue to work towards a fully secular and inclusive country.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Personally I like to live where people share my values and I feel part of the community.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's with O'Leary in the grave.

Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I dont see the coorelation between the vote today and being catholic or anything catholic.

We've had divorce here 20plus years..today was just changing a technical piece.
    Nothing to do with religion.

The abortion vote though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm agnostic on the whole religion thing but the Catholic Church do put on a good show when it comes to celebration ceremonies and aren't half bad at providing decent education irrespective of socioeconmic class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

lbc2019 wrote: »
    With that resounding 87% Yes in the exit poll for the divorce referendum surely that signifies the final nail in Catholic Ireland's coffin?

I for one am delighted.

Right so let's create a vacuum for some other new found crap. Never being very religious but ya know what. Better the devil ya know. Ha I made a funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Traditional Catholic Ireland is dead but modern a la carte Catholic Ireland is going steady enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

yasmina wrote: »

I've a helicopter lesson voucher that I need to use. Rang the flight centre a few weeks back and the lady on the phone couldn't find a weekend hour slot for me because of the demand from the first communion crowd.
    I dont see the coorelation between the vote today and being catholic or anything catholic. The abortion vote though....

Neither are a reflection on RC Ireland. I know more pro-lifers that are not religious. My own wife is a born-again Christian but she is pro-choice, pro-LGBT (used to work in a LGBT church when she was young).
    I'm agnostic on the whole religion thing but the Catholic Church do put on a good show when it comes to celebration ceremonies and aren't half bad at providing decent education irrespective of socioeconmic class.

In very high demand in the UK. RCC churches are the where it's at.
    Traditional Catholic Ireland is dead but modern a la carte Catholic Ireland is going steady enough.

Summed it up very nicely, if I may say so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Right so let's create a vacuum for some other new found crap. Never being very religious but ya know what. Better the devil ya know. Ha I made a funny.

Good news:

“Islam is now listed by the CSO as being one of the fastest growing religions in Ireland.”

Something to look forward to in the future. In 20 or 30 years we will look back on these days as the calm before the storm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Edgware wrote: »
    Catholic Ireland may be gone but maybe Christian Ireland has got stronger.
    Great community spirit, great support of charities,
    greater acceptance of differences. Extremism of any religion, political system is to be avoided

Err, you don't have to be a Christian to be nice.

If anything, if you need to believe in God and fear what hell do to you to make you a nice person then in reality you are a dick and not a nice person.

Some people can just be good people without the threat of a god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Good news:

“Islam is now listed by the CSO as being one of the fastest growing religions in Ireland.”

Something to look forward to in the future. In 20 or 30 years we will look back on these days as the calm before the storm.

Scientology is starting to get up and running in the greater Dublin area. Signs of life in the new Ideal Org they built. All those free family events are starting to pay dividends for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I dont see the coorelation between the vote today and being catholic or anything catholic.

We've had divorce here 20plus years..today was just changing a technical piece.
    Nothing to do with religion.

The abortion vote though....

You clearly missed out on the massive opposition from the catholic church for the previous divorce referendums (yes there has been more then just this one today and the one that passed it).

It was a fairly nasty ref with bishops and priests not afraid to speak their minds.

The fact so many people are OK with divorce shows that a massive amount of the country are against the church's core beliefs. Repeal the 8th and marriage ref prove this even more.

If you don't believe core catholic beliefs then you are not a Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Catholic Ireland dead?

No, I is alive. Was watching the Late Late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Edgware wrote:
    Catholic Ireland may be gone but maybe Christian Ireland has got stronger. Great community spirit, great support of charities, greater acceptance of differences. Extremism of any religion, political system is to be avoided

A society displaying compassion and empathy, very little of do with Christianity tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Edgware wrote: »
    greater acceptance of differences

I think here is where ‘modern Ireland’ has a shîtload of work left to do. Sure things have improved but not to the extent I’d be willing to say I’d be happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

When they have been excavated from the health system and school system we will be able to say Ireland is 'post Catholic'.

Need to also remove the prayer from the Dail and rewrite the Constitution as it reads like a prayer book

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Cabaal wrote: »
    The fact so many people are OK with divorce shows that a massive amount of the country are against the church's core beliefs.

The divorce referendum was in 1995. What does today's referendum have to do with the level of Catholicism in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Good news:

yeah but what about "the left"? Amiright? It's terrible joe. Just terrible.

Advertisement