Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm well aware of what actuaries do in insurance companies 😀 I'll never forget that Quinn was probably the only insurer in the EU that never employed any of them. Just charge a low premium for many people and pocket the revenue, just hope for the best that nobody claims. And if they did, make their life hard and try bully them into dropping the claim. You couldn't make it up.

Didn't know it was mostly based on UK data though, that's interesting. I actually just renewed my Model S insurance today and while it was significantly more expensive than the last few years, I paid €555 for the top package, fully comp, car valued at €40k, full NCB protection, driving other cars, windscreen, tow away service, etc.

For the craic, I'll ask my broker tomorrow what my quote would have been for a Model Y. I would be shocked if it was significantly higher tbh. Most people are simply lazy and don't spend the couple of hours it takes to get the best quote they can...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your boiling this incorrectly down to shopping around on the phone.

This isn't that. It's limiting the number of Ys on their books. A huge difference than just telling people to shop around.

You not have a very limited pool of insurers that will take you.

No use asking existing insurer they'll treat existing customers differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭JOL1

For what its worth there has been a marked difference in premiums and willingness to insure Model Y. My own is up for renewal later this month and has increased from 380 to 605 (+60%) with my existing Insurer. I have also sought quotes from about 10 other Insurers ( direct online, through aggregators and by calling them direct) and haven't managed to get cheaper with many/majority refusing to quote for Model Y and those who will at significantly higher premium (2/300% higher than last year. This is a dynamic market but rest assured there is a marked trend that is being experienced by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Duplicate

You don't need them.

You just need to take care when jacking and don't use the wrong area of the body.

Btw - related - the AA don't have a spare wheel spacer to fit a MY so it's a tow every time you have a flat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

The Tesla manual actually states how to jack it up. These pucks were an invention of the aftermarket industry that saw a gap and very nicely filled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

A tow every time you have a flat? A simple €10 air compressor will get you out of 99% of flat tyre situations. Simply inflate the tyre and drive on. Drive straight home or the nearest tyre centre.

Or you can fix it on the side of the road yourself with a basic repair kit without even needing to jack the car up.

I haven’t fitted a spare wheel in years. I just inflate the tyre and drive on.

Sidewall/shoulder nail for example - something you can't plug.

Let me edit that to say it's a tow required every time you have an unrepairable tyre.

With most cars the AA/RAC can simply fit a space saver and let you on your way. With Tesla you're on the back of their flatbed as they don't currently have a spacer that can fit over the hub on a MY.

Post edited by MojoMaker on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

So in that scenario you can inflate the tyre and drive home or to the tyre shop.

And who waits 2 hours for the AA to arrive for them to fit a spare wheel when you can do it yourself in 10 minutes?

A simple Google search will bring up several options for a space saver spare wheel for Model Y.

A bit of a rant here, but I don’t know why Tesla owners think their car/tyres are any different to any other car on the road. I see it day in day out on the Tesla Owners group on Facebook. I mean there are people in the group spending €80 every 10,000km to have their tyres rotated because Tesla says so. Its just nuts

Model Y space saver wheel:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/275109629960?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=5282-175127-2357-0&ssspo=fAOOJoXPTFO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=6Y5tmBdKQFe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Interesting - and thanks for the link.

I have a little doubt though. The space saver spare wheels carried by the AA and RAC that fit over a Model 3 hub don't appear to fit over a Model Y hub. It might be more specific that you think. So I pause when I see something advertised for both M3 and MY.

A hole in a sidewall or tyre shoulder won't be cured by mere inflation - I wish it could, genuinely. A problem in a spot that can't be plugged and no amount of air is going to help. Especially late at night in a remote location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is that probably solely down the the space savers AA are using....

Might be. But curious they would work on an M3 and not on an MY. Small hub discrepancies maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Does this make sense? All I can think of is that somehow when I'm charging from Tesla supercharger a 100% charge gives me more range than a 100% charge from home with 3 pin plug (even though I would have thought it can only charge to the same and would have given the same range…)

For the first week after I bought my 2021 Tesla model 3 I was charging from home with the 3 pin plug. I was getting about 250km from a charge. Driving home from Belfast yesterday I charged it with a Tesla supercharger on way to and back from Belfast. The range reading was much more than 250kms.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Almost certainly due to a warmer battery; unlikely that Tesla have harder working electrons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

pretty huge Q1 miss for Tesla - I think we knew it was going to be tight, but with a consensus deliveries of 420k and actual 385k is a big miss, for analysts who should be on top of it.

-8% year on year ‘growth’, which will cause a reevaluation on the SP I’d say.

Production numbers stayed high though, so there’s a LOT of unsold cars for Q2. Let’s see how that plays out for pricing across worldwide markets like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Let’s see how that plays out for pricing across worldwide markets like here.

Its inexplicable, for a few months now, that a Model 3 and a Y are the same price. There must be a 3 price reduction in the offing, now that the Q1 push is done. If they do, it will cause another round of instability across the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i can't get my head around the prices being asked for 2 year old M3's. why would anyone pay 35k+ for a 2 year old m3 with 30-50k on the clock when they can get a brand new m3h for under 42k.

i know its 7k (and less in many cases) but in the grand scheme of things it appears to be poor value. no doubt it'll be even poorer value once tesla cut the price (as seems likely) of the m3h.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Major delay in deliveries on cars that were due in March that are still in transit.

How much time does going around Africa add to the journey instead of through the canal?

Many seem to be citing piracy as the reason for the long way around?

Adds several weeks to the trip and up to about $1 million in costs per large ship. All because of those Houthi "rebels". It's time for that vermin to be exterminated, along with all other Iran sponsored terrorists like Hamas, Hezbollah, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Certainly ,בְּהֶחלֵט, but you wont see support for that here. We love a good terrorist. (royal We of course, not myself, but just look at all the parades for hamas around ireland and the world. Even made me divert on the route to a charger a week or two ago!)

This is a shocking miss for TSLA nonetheless though. Having such a delta between deliveries and produced shows a large backlog. Unless there are hangars full of cybertrucks awaiting EU approval or something, this is most certainly not good news for anyone still holding tsla. I've decided (pretty much) that I won't be buying another, after what they did to residuals hitting existing owners, along with the software nonsense and disagreeing with the move to vision only. I wonder how many current owners will buy something other than a TSLA for their next car. I have my eyes on a (stopgap) XC90 diesel to allow me sell the model 3 and then move on to something premium and most likely German.

I know this is all rambling and just the opinion of one lunatic (me!) but if it's any way representative of other tesla owners it does indicate that not all is rosy at camp elon.

Time for Tesla to start producing RHD cars in the EU zone. BYD will be doing it over the coming years.

Berlin will double in size soon enough. They should be able to cover us for the Model Y then at least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

probably the Juniper Y or even the Model 2 (Redwood) launch

spyshot from Berlin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

They need to sort out their logistics network for parts also.

My model Y has been off the road since January 15th waiting for suspension parts and a new front right wing.

Suspension parts arrived in the third week of Feb, front wing arrived in mid March. When Ace Autobody went to paint the wing, they discovered that Tesla had shipped over a wing for the left side instead of right depite invoice and labelling indicating the right side.

Ace Autobody went to order again straight away and despite being marked as in stock, eta for the part is April 12th from Amsterdam - they must be sending it by rowing boat!!!

Isn't it great? All that time you are driving a Tesla loaner, with free tolls and free unlimited fuel 😁

(I agree their parts supply chain is ridiculously inadequate)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Along with the variable build quality, put me off buying one, even though on paper was the best. Bought a Polestar 2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats assuming he's in warranty and its a warranty issue.

It's a Model Y, so unless he has done intergalactic miles in a very short period of time, it's in warranty alright 😀

Need a wing, so yeah car probably crashed so then it is not a warranty issue, I'll give you that. Insurance should pay for a rental though, but probably not as nice as their own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Loaner - not a chance, not a warrantly claim so its been me forking out for car hire. Tesla have been a nightmare to deal with. I hit black ice around close to the house, slid accross the road and front driver side wheel hit the kerb, decent enough smack.

Front driver side suspension completely snapped.

I needed to get the car from Letterkenny to Sandyford, Tesla wouldn't arrange pickup as not a manufacturing defect so had to pay a third party to transport down to Tesla (In fairness AA wouldn't transport either as it was outside of their distance limit to Dub).

Car sat in Tesla for a week, eventually looked at and 6.5k erstimate provided with a 6 week lead time for parts.

When I questioned this, they eventually came back in a couple of days to say the door was "destroyed" and the a pillar was damaged and it would also need to get body work done. Asked for someone to call me back through the chat in the app but never got the call. Eventually got some pictures sent through of alignment issues between teh door and front wing.

Got insurance involved then, and Ace Autobody Fairview is their approved bodyshop (which Tesla would have just farmed the body work out to anyway) so go the car removed from Sandyford to Ace Autobody fairview.

I

Advertisement