Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Reuters story has multiple sources, going back to February. The denial on the other hand is Musk saying on Twitter "Reuters are lying (again)" without identifying what the inaccuracies (or lies) were. Worth noting that Reuters at the same time reported the pivot back to Robotaxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭JOL1

Musk is renowned for initiating what are internally known as "Surges", essentially dictates to prioritise certain things to "do this by a specific date" often resulting in "all hands on Deck" and redeployment of teams/resources. It is possible that that is what has happened, a deadline for Robotaxi introduced which impacts resources available for model 2 (as opposed to cancelling Model 2 (as reported by Reuters). I find it hard to believe that there is no substance to Reuters reporting….it will make for an interesting investor call later this month as it will definitely be under scrutiny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mayne they should separate the car business from all the either stuff. Like SpaceX. Separate. Nobody mixes up the 2.

Personally I couldn’t give a crap what they do outside the cars, so I have no interest in robots, FSD or taxis (for obvious reasons being a PSV holder 😂). I only care that the cars work and that service works when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

8/8/28? 😂

• Advertisement

You wish 😂 There won't be a single taxi driver on the planet anymore many decades before that!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they manage that then it's still a successful robotaxi launch. I don't expect a day 1 launch of a robotaxi to be globally available. Anyone expecting a global (or even US national) launch has unrealistic expectations. They're as bad as Elon Musk with his overly ambitious forward looking statements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭DrPsychia

He stated Reuters were lying. But he's just mincing words. Why didn't he refute their claim clearly? He said it in an attempt to prop up the share price, some investors believed him, share price recovered from -6% when the story broke to -3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭gossamerfabric

https://uk.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/tesla-offering-7k-discount-on-model-y-investor-says-nothing-has-recently-changed-3420603

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-05/tesla-aims-discounts-at-unprecedented-number-of-evs-in-inventory

Just wait for Tesla to overproduce and buy a car from Inventory. Only a chump would buy to order based on Tesla's continued policy of over-producing and then hoping to find a buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭gossamerfabric

If Tesla want to sell me a heavily discounted Model 3 for not much more than the price of the vapourware Model 2 then I suppose I could be persuaded but I don't see that helping build their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

its a good point - let’s face it they wouldn’t have canned the 2 without a fairly big strategic review - maybe they see the 3 as eventually being priced so close to the 2 that they don’t need it. The suggested entry price of the 2 wouldn’t have happened anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

let’s face it they wouldn’t have canned the 2 without a fairly big strategic review

How much input would musk have into that decision? He's the sort of lad who makes decisions based on whims rather than strategic reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It works like this: Musk has a whim, everybody else does a strategic review which miraculously agrees with the whim.

I know that’s easy to say, but tesla is a publicly quoted company with 140,000 employees.

Musk has 24hrs in his day like the rest of us, and is distracted by the other companies, but the decision to can the M2 would have been proposed to him, for him to decide - the CEOs job is really just to make decisions, usually strategic decisions - and they tend to like having multiple options to decide between. Bin the M2, but push, um, ‘robotaxis’. A business that size would have literally hundreds of strategic analysts.

Tesla would thrive without him simply because they’d start getting all the ‘boring’ decisions right, but for now he’s inextricably linked to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Surprised to see drops in Tesla sales. From just eyeballing it and from a Limerick point of view there are a lot more Tesla's on the road here now than even 6 months ago. You'd be lucky to see one a week before, now you will see easily two a day and sometimes more.

The lack of a dealer network around Ireland certainly doesn't help with the speed of sales here though. Most people seem to buy from what's close to them. You'll even find in Limerick (and I'm sure other counties) if you go out the countryside and look at the driveways of houses you'll see mainly the brand of car that is sold by the local dealer. Most people won't even shop around their own county to find a better deal/car, not to mind outside of it or online. A lot is purely down to convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There are people that continue to buy from dealers with awful after sales service, a lot of that is purely down to convenience. I don't understand it myself but it seems to be the way a lot of people buy cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think that's true at all tbh. People return to where they were looked after. Your 'alot' is like trumps 'many people'...

Most certainly a lot more Tesla's in Ireland but this is somewhat immaterial to "generalise from". 2 Markets (US & China) account for 60%+ of all Tesla sales and there is intense competition and price war in the Chinese market with its local (BYD) leading the way in numbers and in the US high interest rates remain like a Black cloud that hovers threatening rain.

• Advertisement

agreed, Tesla are in a price war in the US and China in particular - it’s important to understand the significance of those markets being 37% and 32% of deliveries, Europe was 19% and RoW just 12%.

Ever-increasing competition in the US, plus the polarising attitude to everything EVs there, means their market share is dropping and volume needs to be propped up with price cuts.

here’s a Q: what will they do with all the upcoming additional capacity in places like Texas and Berlin?, and presumably Mexico won’t be needed for many years now.

the simple answer is ‘announce a new model’ - and the 2 is obvious. The cybertruck will be low volume NA only, absolutely zero chance of it passing homologation and being shipped in volume to anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

here’s a Q: what will they do with all the upcoming additional capacity in places like Texas and Berlin?, and presumably Mexico won’t be needed for many years now.

Surely the simple answer is they slow down production…. kill a shift or whatever to ensure supply meets demand.

They can try a further price reduction to increase demand but they will still have to adjust production to match. They cant be storing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

So, i got a front-on sideswipe on my less than 1 year old Model 3 (faclift/pre-highland) as I was stationary in traffic (thank you built in Tesla Dashcam with all the angles saved…).

Luckily lights etc are fine, but some scrapes on the driver side bumper and rightside driver door panel. Any suggestions of crash repairs in Cork that are familiar with Tesla? The app support suggested Ace-Autobody in Limerick as the closest place, obviously not ideal for me.

Any pointers or recommendations?

My instinct is that we are seeing is a shift in priority to robotaxi, shifting resources away from Model 2 but not cancelling it forever. Both are likely to share the same platform so efficiencies will be there to be leveraged. To hit volume targets over coming years Tesla need to compete across the spectrum and for some large volume markets (China, India) a smaller car compliments the range and gives mass market appeal. Currently BYD has this covered for China in ways that Tesla has not…

Its never over until the fat lady sings.

I can't see how Robotaxi's will ever be realiable with Tesla's approach, until maybe AGI finetunes the neural net models. I've watched countless videos showcasing FSD Beta, I've always been underwhelmed. It appears more stressful supervising the system compared to actually driving the car yourself or with some light assistance of autopilot on motorways.

"Teslas approach" have got things to where they are now and thats pretty impressive (far from perfect). Like many new innovations (rockets that can land back where they launched and be reused multiple times) seem incredible until they become credible. Its a journey but my mind is more open to the possibilities

I'm not ignoring what Tesla motors has accomplished. I merely believe their camera-only approach is unlikely to make it past regulators this side of the Atlantic. I believe lidar is definitely part of a true FSD solution to safely and reliably navigate/map our environment. It's not impossible to implement the camera-only approach in the near future in the likes of sunny California but in Europe or areas with variable weather and narrower streets it's another level of difficulty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Noise that Tesla can't compete with Chinese low priced EV so abandoning the Model 2

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

this the same noise posted over the last few days?

• Advertisement

Humans don't have lidar / radar. You don't need either to be able to make a FSD system that is many times safer than a human. It doesn't need to be perfect. If it can be proven it is much safer than humans, regulators will approve it.

Advertisement