Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What provider do you get a 5c per kWh from please? I'm rural, with Yuno and night rate is 17.07 cent/kWh (on day/night tarrif)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pinergy, the Cooline community offer. 5c electricity between 2AM and 5AM. Still valid, you get a €100 bonus too. By far the cheapest rate Ireland has seen in years. Their feed in tariff is the highest in the country too at 25c

https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/cooline/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Exclude anything to do with electricity pricing from Unkel he has his own solar installations and batteries and also has FIT. His electricity costs are non normal and unless your investing in the above then it's no use comparing ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The advantage of that 32 blue adaptor is you will be able to get a 7kW+ charge at any workshop or the like where those sockets are available, you can get one regardless of your home setup. I just got one and getting a 16a blue adapter in work's workshop changed to a 32a for free work charging and it being a blue plug not many other EVs will be able to hook up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think I get it now. So with a 32 blue adaptor you can connect it anywhere that has the specific CEE outside plug and get quicker charge than without it.

To try and put this baby to bed- I WFH so will be charging at home 95% of the time (2021 model 3), night time I expect.

1. Should I get a smart charger (I know you only get the €300 grant if go for a smart charger)?
    2. Should I get one with smart load balancing system?
    3. The Tesla wall connector isn't smart but you can time it's charging time etc. from the app; correct?
    4. Any recommendation for a specific wall charger please? (Some say 'they're all pretty much the same, they charge' but you want reliability etc.) I can get a new Tesla wall connector from a friend for €400, aware that it doesn't qualify for the grant.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

@dinneenp - just get a zappi. Covers all of the above. Not for nothing is it the most popular install in Ireland and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

We've a Tesla wall connector and we've always used the car app to do any charging scheduling. If you've a low overnight lecky rate then you'll need to adjust the target SoC % in the app every night that you charge to only use cheap electrons, but that takes around half a minute. Around the same length of time as plugging in the cable. And with the Tesla Wall Connector you can open the car charge port with the button on the cable adaptor.

Or just use a zappi with a schedule. Mine does that every night and if there are any electrons spare in my 15kW * 3 hour slot from 2AM to 5AM, my other myenergi product, the eddi, sends them all to heat my hot water. At half the cost of heating it with gas, while being mostly zero emissions and renewable. All fully automated, you don't need to do anything ever. Except plug the car in every night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I agree with Unkel here. If you go with the 32 amp socket you'll probavly need a priority switch which is about 150 plus labour.

Your electrician will also need to install a non standard Rcbo. It has dc leakage protection and these cost about €150. That's the cost of the Zappi right there when you include the grant.

Someone will be along shortly to say you don't need the Type B Rcbo (not to be confused with B curve) and that I'm talking bollox. 😁

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

I don't think anyone said you were talking bollix unless you can show a post. I think there were several people looking for you to show a link to a product ?

Did you get one ? It's being helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I ran the 32a socket for over a year. No issues. It helped greatly that the manufacturer allowed this and had it built into their grant cable ecosystem. Tesla in this case which meant very little outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Ah come on, there's a full page of people accusing me of talking nonsense. I believe one called it a mythical RCBO, another who you agreed with was calling me the most expensive spark in Ireland. I was out all that day and I didn't have a link, nor did I have the time to go searching for one.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

I agreed with no one. Just asked for a link horse. That's all. It's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I got my M3 in 2020, bought a Tesla wall charger and got it installed by my local spark for ~€300 if I recall correctly, this included the load balancer, but the run from charger to fuseboard was relatively short (which has an impact as the cable is quite expensive). I did also not get a grant as at the time company cars were excluded.

In the 4 years I had it, it didn't work twice and simply had to push the reset button on the charger, so a big plus on reliability in my book. In the car app you schedule the charge. You can set it when to start and you can set the end time of your night or EV tariff so it knows to stop charging. It is very straightforward.

If I had to do it again, I would do exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Hi all, got a puncture yesterday evening and car got towed. Will be delivered to tyre shop tomorrow. I've a 2023 rwd on aeros with 18' wheels. Tyres are Michelin Primacy ( not pilot sport) and are 235/45 R18.

Hopefully just a repair, but if I need one new tyre, how important do you think it is to have exactly the same spec of tyre, i.e, have the other, non-size and profile related, numbers on the tyre the same, e.g '98Y XL', speed rating, and to have "Acoustic" (and T0 - is that even possible when not fresh from the factory)?

I'd look to get Primacy in any case, just wondering whether your average tyre chain store is going to have exactly the right one, and how much it matters if not.

Thanks all

Depends on how you drive the car. If you always drive slowly and carefully (particularly in bad conditions), it doesn't matter. You can buy cheap Chinese tyres even 4 different ones with different wear on them. If you drive hard and on the edge, you need excellent tyres, and yes that means identical tyres for each axle.

That's why for my Model S, I am happy enough with part worn tyres from a good supplier (Tyreland) from good brands. For my i3, I need brand new premium tyres with the best dry weather performance I can get. I drive this car hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭wassie

If you get the same tyre, it doesnt matter if its accoustic or not. Different speed ratings probably wont be an issue either as generally these ratings will be far in excess of 120kmh. I would be more concerned about having the same tread pattern on the front tyres (and ideally similar wear) over the rears, especially if you need to brake hard in wet conditions.

And get a tyre plug kit. If it was indeed, just a nail, you could have repaired it in 10 mins on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Craftylee

Hi folks, potential future Tesla model Y owner here

I was doing some insurance quotes online and out of the 5 companies only 1 of them would even quote me

Do insurance companies not like Tesla's or something? 9 years of driving experience, 9 years no claims - what the....

Online quotes are often crap unless you have a 1l Corolla or something. Ring the insurance companies and ring all main brokers. I would expect to get fully comp insurance on a brand new RWD Model Y for somewhere between €300 and €500

• Advertisement

Evidently not following the model Y insurance problems. It's been covered extensively in this forum, even thread.

Underwriters are dropping the Y en masses due to costs of claims. They aren't taking more vehicles (liability) than they want to cover.

This would put me of a Y until that issue has calmed down.

Read up on it here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, there are Y insurance woes, not good for the world's best selling car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

So cost of claims on Model Y in Ireland are excessive? Something that didn't happen with Model 3, Model X and Model S before? That's interesting. Why would that be? EV insurance has traditionally been way lower than ICE insurance when comparing cars of similar power / value.

The underwriters are mostly UK based and it seems the insurers have been hit fairly hard with the cost of claims dealing with the Y. They started doing this in the UK last summer its now started in Ireland. Limiting the policies. Not a good thing for current or prospective owners of the Y.

Insurers if anything are one of the most data driven industry.

You don't need to make this about ICE or power or any other vehicle. Just understand the reality on the ground.

Ring them. Online systems don’t like Teslas and BYD from my experience. Best to talk to a human.

I found Allianz the best but I have a multi policy discount. So my €347 for the M3P may not be indicative of the trend on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭wassie

Tesla insurance cost have been topical in Australia as well (comparable RHD market to UK). This comparison website gives the following average insurance quotes.

Note that these quotes are obtained online - as @unkel posted, these are probably not reflective of rates people can get through a broker or over the phone.

This probably isnt unique to Tesla but EVs in general as the insurance market doesnt yet have the long term data available and where there is unfamiliarity with risk, it will be priced accordingly.

Tesla dont do themselves any favours either over the restricted access to OEM parts by discouraging owners and lessees from using independent shops outside of Tesla's control. Unfortunately Tesla had a win late last year in a class action over its repair monopoly.

We've seen major rental car companies in the stated such as Budget & Hertz scale back there Tesla fleets (in part) because of high repair costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

There was an article in the Independent yesterday with FBD saying that the high cost of repairs for what used to be some bearable amount make people claim through insurance. That's not Tesla specific

From my experience a repair for a cosmetic self damage (I think I posted the picture at the time) was quoted around 6k and of course I claimed through insurance. The main issue was that I had to wait 4 months for the parts and still a bracket was rebuilt not used new. If I would have claimed rental for this period the cost would have been insane. Next day somebody bumps the other Tesla, 3k for the repairs and is nearly 3 months now waiting. Tesla wants to be a mass car manufacturer but doesn't act like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

Yeah it's likely due to excessive cost for what are really fairly minor repairs. I took some cosmetic damage to the rear side panel of 2023 MY last year and the repair costs were almost €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

All, this is turning into a saga. Towing co. delivered d car to the tyre place just before closing time today - took 7 phone calls, don't get me started. The well known tyre-fitter chain says they need a rubber bung to jack d car up, and don't have it. Or at least they don't think they do. Or thought it should be in my car. Tyre fitter couple of doors down from this said something similar but are willing to jack up carefully but it's on me if it goes wrong... Jesus wept. I got on to Tesla who emailed me jacking instructions prompting glazed expressions from tyre fitters.

Can it be that hard to change a tyre? Night 3 coming up without my car...hoping to get back tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buy a set of the jacking plugs. They're literally only around a tenner. Mine came in a little drawstring bag and are in the frunk. I know it's horse and stable door in your situation though.

Advertisement