Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

tuxy wrote: »
    Is that a typical far right tactic?

Yes.

A quick google throws up a few interesting articles.

https://www.thejournal.ie/young-fine-gael-tweet-sinn-fein-2355281-Sep2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes.

A quick google throws up a few interesting articles.

https://www.thejournal.ie/young-fine-gael-tweet-sinn-fein-2355281-Sep2015/

Why are a far right Irish youth party attending a more moderate right wing conference in the states. Are young Fine Gael trying to radicalise the U.S?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the issue they had is that they had not heard much about Young Fine Gael which is surprising because it is basically the same as Hitler youth. It's not right of centre or right wing but faaarrr right.

Funny You say that, as I read the article, I got the impression that the bunch he went to visit sounded like a 'moderate' form of KKK, if there is such a thing.

Thought that someone who attends these meetings could one day be running our country doesn't bare thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What'd I miss today?

Maria Bailey is currently trending on Twitter ....... Again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What'd I miss today?

Articles today in press about the people suing in the Aviva.....one was hit on the arm....sounds like Maria or one of her mates

• Advertisement

What'd I miss today?

In regards to what exactly? I am not on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Mostly private accounts much like the posters here but from first glance there is a lot of attention on the Cork (always be Cork not Irish to me :p ) Examiner article about losing the whip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't really use it myself (it's a foreign concept tbh) but this if the gist of it.

She's apparently the butt of jokes in nearly every festival and fancy dress party in the country. So much for people wanting to sweep this under the carpet and hope it would fade a death. :D

Screenshot-2019-08-05-18-50-38-326-com-twitter-android.png

Full video here.

https://twitter.com/Gwhizz365/status/1158139143412748288?s=09

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Mostly private accounts much like the posters here but from first glance there is a lot of attention on the Cork (always be Cork not Irish to me :p ) Examiner article about losing the whip

I have never bought the Examiner but I will always hold them in high regard for the way they defended Maurice McCabe when the Garda HQ were trying to destroy him time and time again. The man is an Irish hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

True that, the Examiner is a quality paper....with a strong Cork & Munster bias ha, not that is a bad thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

mikemac2 wrote: »
    True that, the Examiner is a quality paper....with a strong Cork & Munster bias ha, not that is a bad thing :D

Used to be decent, but standards going way down since the irish times bought them imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't really use it myself (it's a foreign concept tbh) but this if the gist of it.

She's apparently the butt of jokes in nearly every festival and fancy dress party in the country. So much for people wanting to sweep this under the carpet and hope it would fade a death. :D

Screenshot-2019-08-05-18-50-38-326-com-twitter-android.png

Full video here.

https://twitter.com/Gwhizz365/status/1158139143412748288?s=09

I'd actually worry about twitter pile ons and the amount of ridicule she is getting from a mental health perspective. FFS Leo should just have dealt with it properly. Would have been much better for everybody. Its an absolute car crash how he has handled the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd actually worry about twitter pile ons and the amount of ridicule she is getting from a mental health perspective. FFS Leo should just have dealt with it properly. Would have been much better for everybody. Its an absolute car crash how he has handled the whole thing.

Your point about MB's mental health is a fair point. However at some point we all need to grow up, and take responsibility for our choices and actions. Her actions speak volumes and her choices are clearly very poor. She brought this situation on her own head. If she doesn't learn from this, or is incapable of learning, then you would really have to wonder if she destined to be permanently immature.

I wouldn't wish any ill to come to her

PS whoever advises FG on public relations needs shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

She can quit at any time. Politics and convenient fraud aren't for the faith of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

holyhead wrote: »
    Your point about MB's mental health is a fair point. However at some point we all need to grow up, and take responsibility for our choices and actions. Her actions speak volumes and her choices are clearly very poor. She brought this situation on her own head. If she doesn't learn from this, or is incapable of learning, then you would really have to wonder if she destined to be permanently immature.

I wouldn't wish any ill to come to her

PS whoever advises FG on public relations needs shooting!

Nonsense- the continuous attempt of people to weaponise mental health has just dilluted the issue and prob has an impact an actual sufferers as it's becoming a bit obvious that it's being disingenuously used on a constant basis.

Maria Bailey shouldnt have sued the hotel
    She shouldnt have lied consistently throughout the whole process
    She should have apolgised
    She should not have tried to play the victim card when on radio
    She should have resigned.

Whenever a decision was being made on her next steps- she got it wrong everytime and she really only has herself the blame.

She can still resign, she can still apologise and walk away - why doesnt she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

She should have resigned....

Or been fired at this stage....the story would be dead now if handled correctly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    She should have resigned....

Or been fired at this stage....the story would be dead now if handled correctly

Yep.

But instead the Halloween parties will be full of "maria bailey's" i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Nonsense- the continuous attempt of people to weaponise mental health has just dilluted the issue and prob has an impact an actual sufferers as it's becoming a bit obvious that it's being disingenuously used on a constant basis.

Maria Bailey shouldnt have sued the hotel
    She shouldnt have lied consistently throughout the whole process
    She should have apolgised
    She should not have tried to play the victim card when on radio
    She should have resigned.

Whenever a decision was being made on her next steps- she got it wrong everytime and she really only has herself the blame.

She can still resign, she can still apologise and walk away - why doesnt she?

I'm not using mental health as an excuse for her actions. Merely that she has been subjected, self inflicted of course, to unprecedented ridicule the length and breadth of the country. However much of a brass neck she does have she has feelings.

Human health comprises the physical and mental. She has just lost her father and has been humiliated in the most public way possible. It's not an easy time for her. That being said none of this stops her from doing the right thing which she has failed to do so far, unless you count dropping the case against the hotel.

The mental health of every person is important even those we may hold in poor esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm not using mental health as an excuse for her actions. Merely that she has been subjected, self inflicted of course, to unprecedented ridicule the length and breadth of the country. However much of a brass neck she does have she has feelings.

Human health comprises the physical and mental. She has just lost her father and has been humiliated in the most public way possible. It's not an easy time for her. That being said none of this stops her from doing the right thing which she has failed to do so far, unless you count dropping the case against the hotel.

The mental health of every person is important even those we may hold in poor esteem.

What about the mental health of all those whose livelihoods are threatened by the actions of Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

JeffKenna wrote: »

What about the mental health of all those whose livelihoods are threatened by the actions of Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell?

Their mental health matters too. It’s not a binary choice.

Maria Bailey did something wrong, we’re all agreed on that. She’s a human being who made a bad, greedy decision. That radio appearance was a farce, I don’t know what else to say about that.

As a result, she has been front page news regularly for months, she’s taken a ton of abuse online, and she’s been demoted.

On top of all that, she’s lost her Dad. I think anyone can see it’s been an extremely difficult year for her.

She put herself in this position, there’s no denying that much.

But it was a dodgy insurance claim, it wasn’t murder. I’ve seen rapists get away with fewer headlines. A bit of perspective at this point would be appropriate.

And YES, I know businesses all over the country are shutting down because of insurance. Here’s the thing, that’s not actually Maria’s fault. It’s down to a culture of people like her, but she’s only responsible for the claim she has made. She’s a symbol of a wider problem - not the problem itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

kikilarue2 wrote: »

Maria Bailey did something wrong, we’re all agreed on that. She’s a human being who made a bad, greedy decision. That radio appearance was a farce, I don’t know what else to say about that.

As a result, she has been front page news regularly for months, she’s taken a ton of abuse online, and she’s been demoted.

On top of all that, she’s lost her Dad. I think anyone can see it’s been an extremely difficult year for her.

But it was a dodgy insurance claim, it wasn’t murder. I’ve seen rapists get away with fewer headlines. A bit of perspective at this point would be appropriate.

And YES, I know businesses all over the country are shutting down because of insurance. Here’s the thing, that’s not actually Maria’s fault. It’s down to a culture of people like her, but she’s only responsible for the claim she has made. She’s a symbol of a wider problem - not the problem itself.

Her dad dying is irrelevant, he died long after she dug herself into this hole with her greed and entitlement.
    She shouldn’t be treated differently now because she’s having a hard time because as of yet apart from the loss of the committee chair she hasn’t actually suffered anything beyond looking a fool which is completely her own fault.

salmocab wrote: »

Her dad dying is irrelevant, he died long after she dug herself into this hole with her greed and entitlement.
    She shouldn’t be treated differently now because she’s having a hard time because as of yet apart from the loss of the committee chair she hasn’t actually suffered anything beyond looking a fool which is completely her own fault.

So how many months of headlines do you think we should go for? 8, 12, a year, five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,196 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So how many months of headlines do you think we should go for? 8, 12, a year, five years?

that is down to her and leo. This story could have been dead in the water weeks ago if leo and herself had acted differently.

that is down to her and leo. This story could have been dead in the water weeks ago if leo and herself had acted differently.

Let’s not pretend the Indo isn’t milking this story for every last drop because it’s silly season.

Haven’t seen an IT headline on it in much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,196 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Let’s not pretend the Indo isn’t milking this story for every last drop because it’s silly season.

Haven’t seen an IT headline on it in much longer.

They have been given plenty to milk.

I do think she should just completely come off social media though.

She can issue constituency updates through her website, press releases, leaflet drops. Presumably there’s other stuff going on that people need to know about in the area. But on social all you’re going to get is a bunch of people, many of whom don’t live in her area, piling on the abuse.

It serves no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Until she is gone. Should we stop now because her dad died? Or she embarrassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I do think she should just completely come off social media though.

She can issue constituency updates through her website, press releases, leaflet drops. Presumably there’s other stuff going on that people need to know about in the area. But on social all you’re going to get is a bunch of people, many of whom don’t live in her area, piling on the abuse.

It serves no one.

You don't think she should resign or be dismissed from the party?

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

Until she is gone. Should we stop now because her dad died? Or she embarrassed?

Should you show a woman some compassion because her dad died? I think so.

How would you feel if she slit her wrists over it and died too? It’s not so long since Shane McEntee killed himself over constituency pressures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement