Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Politicians Vs Barristers where are the INLA when you want them?

The head on Neal Richmond, it's begging to be dunked in a toilet. South Dublin, UCD educated mediocrity made flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Insurance, the only business you cannot make losses in.

Utter rubbish, you should read articles before commenting, it just makes you look silly

Tell that to Sean Quinn.

And Guardian, PMPA, Independent .

That is why we all pay the 5% government levy on all policies except life, aviation and marine insurance policies.

The government spend the pot and then when someone goes bust they increase it. It was 2% after Guardian and PMPA, bumped to 3% after Independent and bumped to 5% after Quinn.

If they retained the levy in an insurance fund they could easily cover flood losses and bail out failed insurers and not screw the policyholders everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

tototoe wrote: »
    Nothing will happen here, FG as is their true arrogant nature, will brazen it out, the report like many others will be delayed until the public are perceived to have lost interest and they will carry on as before we will probably never hear much from the report...and like Leinster rugby..everything has been sorted to the satisfaction of both parties type spin will be put on the story.

Leo and co can't afford to lose tds, the numbers are not good for them and there are 4 by elections coming up.....that will top any public interest...the spin is already starting with internal party matter nonsense.

This is how FG does things

I wont lose interest, in this farce or many of the other farces running god knows how many years here, health, housing, infrastructure etc. I can see FF possibly winning more seats than FG at the next election, even without any economic problems. As a former FG voter, I dont care what they do, theyll never have my vote again and family and friends are the same. That bloody waffler is an excellent talker, if talking got stuff done, Ireland would be worldclass in every area!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tell that to Sean Quinn.

google contracts for difference and get back to me.

essentially gambling made him go broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

his insurance company was in trouble before that due to insufficient reserves.

for anyone who hasnt read thesun.ie link, here is the headline!

"COMPO TD'S OWN GOAL Fine Gael’s Alan Farrell played football match while taking claim for injuries in minor Dublin car crash"

I was actually hit by a car a few weeks ago from behind, few km per hour. I got out, made sure bumper wasnt cracked etc, which it wasnt and off I went. Absolute parasites, its not enough gouging off the taxpayer, no, every opportunity they get they are trying to rob someone blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Joe Duffy show covering insudance costs today. Wonder will we hear attitudes to Maria and Farrell?

Joe Duffy show covering insudance costs today. Wonder will we hear attitudes to Maria and Farrell?

she couldnt ever have envisioned, the absolute **** storm this would bring! It will carry on for months longer too, just in case she think easy street is around the corner...

Shemale wrote: »
    Utter rubbish, you should read articles before commenting, it just makes you look silly

insurance companies go under generally because of issues external to basic insurance business.

they make bad business investments with their reserves (quinn)
    they do not retain required reserves etc. (setanta)
    or poor to no regulatory oversight (PMPA)

the basic business plan of insurance, where actuarial assessments are made, and premiums are set to match..... actally allows for no losses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Idbatterim wrote: »
    she couldnt ever have envisioned, the absolute **** storm this would bring! It will carry on for months longer too, just in case she think easy street is around the corner...

It will hopefully bring about the fall of this pathetic government. Varadkar has miscalculated the countries pulse in a big way.

insurance companies go under generally because of issues external to basic insurance business.

the basic business plan of insurance, where actuarial assessments are made, and premiums are set to match..... actally allows for no losses.

Underwriting has been running at a loss for motor and liability insurers for the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

pinkyeye wrote: »
    He means that you were unemployed once and therefore a waster in his eyes.

This is a fella who believes that we don't have a housing crisis so I wouldn't pay much attention. :rolleyes:

That’s kind of what I thought.

If you don’t like talking to the great unwashed rabble Wheels, yourezin the weong place.

No doubt you think you’re here to enlighten us all though.

Underwriting has been running at a loss for motor and liability insurers for the last few years.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/bumper-insurance-profits-spark-call-for-premium-cuts-37891444.html
    It is the fourth consecutive year of double-digit percentage growth in both its life and general business.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/the-great-motor-insurance-ripoff-profits-jump-1300pc-for-insurance-firms-38215319.html
    The great motor insurance rip-off: Profits jump 1,300pc for insurance firms

Dont allow yourself to be baboozled by percentages look at the actual numbers. and you forget to quote this piece which confirms the point you replied to
    "Irish general insurers had underwriting losses in motor and liability insurance of over €1.1bn in the five years to 2017 - €757m in motor and €349m in liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Yurt! wrote: »
    The head on Neal Richmond, it's begging to be dunked in a toilet. South Dublin, UCD educated mediocrity made flesh.

Oh good jaysis, this story just keeps giving and giving. So now we know that not only was Alan Farrell up a ladder twisting his brass neck around while claiming to be injured but also that he played a football match where "the tackles were flying in"
    We told how the close ally of Leo Varadkar also went up a ladder with an election poster during the time he claimed he suffered neck and shoulder injuries.

And today we can reveal Farrell, 41, took part in a match in sweltering heat within the 18-month window he said neck and shoulder injuries continued to “flare up” and affect his personal and professional life following the crash in Drumcondra, Dublin, on April 9, 2015. The Public Accounts Committee member was part of an Oireachtas team that took on a Bar Council selection at DIT’s Grangegorman campus on July 19, 2016.

A source told the Irish Sun it was “a competitive game, with the tackles flying in”, adding: “There was no holding back.” Farrell took to Twitter at the time to share a photo of him lining out. He said: “Enjoyable game this evening against The Bar of Ireland in Grangegorman.”He added: “Tremendous 2nd half. 1:1. Not so much for the 1st half..”

Reports of the Oireachtas vs Bar Council game noted that it took place in “equatorial heat” with it being the hottest day of the year.

I love this bit as well, having been hammered 4-1 by the barristers a politican tries to put a positive spin on it
    "Sure we were nearly boiled alive. Under difficult circumstances, it was actually a very good result for us.

And then you got the photo, what a glorious shot of the team that went down 4-1 to the Wigs.
    alanF-1-e1560372282719.jpg?w=620

Stick the ball in to Big Jim O'Callaghan up front, he'll do it Justice and knock it down just like the Jack Charlton days. Then you've got Eamon Ryan trying his hardest to look like Roy Keane but it just isnt possible to wipe that smugness off his face. And Farrell himself, he played a key role in the politicians only goal but why wasn't he wearing a neck brace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

When is this internal review going to publish its findings? 2 weeks are up.
    I'd like to see some media put the pressure on Leo here. This cannot be swept under the carpet.

The insurance company hit the wall because it was under reserved and he was propping it up with money from his cement firm iirc.

The premiums were way too low and their reserves were way too low for at least 8 years before they hit the wall. He only kept the lights on by not paying large claims, shutting long established businesses at the same time.

Get this he has now set up a betting firm and there is no legal obligation to pay a winning bet, you would be mental to bet with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As I said yesterday, claims are not the sole reason for hikes in insurance but people will believe everything they read and of course have to blame Maria Bailey for everything.

But there is no appetite for sensible discussion here, only snide smart sniggering insults.

I expect the usual responses.

And I stick to what I said, won’t be voting FG until she is gone.

The article you read is hard proof that people are foolish for believing what they read, fair enough :)

FG led us to believe claims culture was a big problem. They believed it and a few of their number partook in it. That's the story.

Quinn were way under reserved, about 1/3 of minimum, they were using assets as reserves and took loans against the assets, so plenty wrong there. You can only use a percentage of your technical reserves for investments or assets afaik.

Setanta were based in an unregulated EU member country so they could do what they want.

Probably wasnt regulation in PMPA days alright.

Mismanagement is the main reason they fail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

golfball37 wrote: »
    I'd like to see some media put the pressure on Leo here. This cannot be swept under the carpet.

Our media are in FG's pocket so I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

The "she is being victimized" narrative is already being pushed heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Our media are in FG's pocket so I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

Not sure about that, the Indo seems to be going after all things FG of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Idbatterim wrote: »
    "Humanity has been crossed" will be up there with "let them eat cake"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Not sure about that, the Indo seems to be going after all things FG of late.

Dinny packed up his desk so it's a little less FG these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Asked whether he would publish it, the Taoiseach said: "I'll have to see it first. There is an issue of due process here. This is an internal party inquiry, not a public inquiry. I'd have to see it first and I haven't yet."

Personally, I think it should be a public inquiry first, and then they can choose what to do with her in the party afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ten Pin wrote: »
    INM will get a big wedge of advertising cash from government departments, banks and insurance companies to soften their cough and hope voters forget...And voters will forget, they've already proved that by forgiving FF for the bailout and throwing us into the clutches of FG

I, for one certainly wont forget. They can fook off if they think they will even get a transfer from my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If it is ever published, it will be so heavily redacted that it will be unreadable, except the last line."M.Bailey has been found to have done nothing wrong ' ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

But if actuarial assessments are so accurate, why do premiums vary wildly between companies?

I would have thought if it's this scientific, they'd be fairly similar.

Sky King wrote: »
    But if actuarial assessments are so accurate, why do premiums vary wildly between companies?

I would have thought if it's this scientific, they'd be fairly similar.

because of the business markets they are trying to target.

for companies who are targeting particular areas, youll find premiums are extremely similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The FG position seems to be that the poor TD's, the "best of people", were tempted to go for easy money by the big evil highly profitable insurance companies.

I feel distinctly working class having never being tempted to put my hand into other people's pockets by claiming "easy money" that I'm not entitled to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement