Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

Idbatterim wrote: »
    she couldnt ever have envisioned, the absolute **** storm this would bring! It will carry on for months longer too, just in case she think easy street is around the corner...

If she couldn’t have foreseen the fallout of the interview, her PR friend, who accompanied her, should have. It’s the core of his working life. Surely he could have given her advice on how to deflect, to keep on replying to Séan “the thing now is that this is in the past, I changed my mind after thinking about it. At the time I was horribly hurt and upset, but as time past and I recovered completely I thought that nothing really was to be gained by pushing it to court. I’ve far more important matters to occupy my time, I am eogkjnb on the...bla bla bla...”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If she couldn’t have foreseen the fallout of the interview, her PR friend, who accompanied her, should have. It’s the core of his working life. Surely he could have given her advice on how to deflect, to keep on replying to Séan “the thing now is that this is in the past, I changed my mind after thinking about it. At the time I was horribly hurt and upset, but as time past and I recovered completely I thought that nothing really was to be gained by pushing it to court. I’ve far more important matters to occupy my time, I am eogkjnb on the...bla bla bla...”

To be fair I think Bailey went off script very early on. I doubt her PR friend advised her to start explaining the dodgy claim in any detail. She tried to avoid it at first but SOR kept digging and she said too much before she knew it. It was one of the worst radio interview performances in my living memory. She was all over the place and was giving conflicting information in a short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Or maybe just waited until after the interview to hit the gin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would guess her PR friend gave her tips like "be strong" "get your point across", don't do "xyz"

The problem is she seems to be a complete idiot and after about 10 second she done everything wrong, even the RTE presentator was trying to drag her back into some sort of sense but she couldn't see this and ploughed on....

Some people would say she sounded drunk.....

In reality she was drunk on her own self importance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Some people would say she sounded drunk.....

I've wondered about that. Like she didn't sound pissed or anything but she didn't exactly sound fully sober either. My guess is she had a quick double brandy out of the hip flask before she went on and it made her feel a bit woozy and er, light headed.

As for the PR guy, he should have been hitting the fire alarm 90 seconds in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've wondered about that. Like she didn't sound pissed or anything but she didn't exactly sound fully sober either. My guess is she had a quick double brandy out of the hip flask before she went on and it made her feel a bit woozy and er, light headed.

She had no alcohol....I would guess they planned the day before and she just built it up in her head.... probably up all the night and had zero media experience in this type of situation.....

She was so wound up by the time she got to RTE the PR guy should have pulled the plug, if he any cop on he should have figured out it would be a disaster.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »

In reality she was drunk on her own self importance

100%

She was virtue signalling from the start. Badly.
    Now, that’s not a level playing pitch, as somebody who grew up on the sideline of a GAA pitch, I play fair, I don’t play offside.
    I’m not going to cast aspersions on air, because that’s not the way I play, I will deal with that in my own way ...
    I play fair, and unless the person’s here to defend themselves I wouldn’t do that.
    This was methodical, this was well orchestrated, this was preplanned to cause maximum damage and I am the collateral damage in the interim of that. On the Tuesday I had decided myself that I was going to withdraw the case, because I didn’t want to be a distraction. I was advised, rightly advised, that that would be seen as a cynical move the week of the local election and not because I had done anything wrong by the way.
    I’m not going to name people here. I don’t do that.
    As you know Sean, I’m not a big social animal, I rarely go out to be honest.
    Nobody else got hurt here except me.
    I had nothing to hide here. Sean you know me as somebody upfront and with integrity.
    Can I be really clear on this, because there is a silver lining to this, I am very clear who I am as a person. I am very clear what my values are, and I am very clear in being an honest person and I stand over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Sky King wrote: »
    But if actuarial assessments are so accurate, why do premiums vary wildly between companies?

I would have thought if it's this scientific, they'd be fairly similar.

Depends what else they are doing like investments and reinsurance (insuring themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Ha ha, or just ran in, Minister I have the president for you, he says its top secret and urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kingstevii

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

100%
    She was virtue signalling from the start. Badly.

Can I be really clear on this, because there is a silver lining to this, I am very clear who I am as a person. I am very clear what my values are, and I am very clear in being an honest person and I stand over that.

Well she lied in the interview at least once, So.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

To be fair I think Bailey went off script very early on. I doubt her PR friend advised her to start explaining the dodgy claim in any detail. She tried to avoid it at first but SOR kept digging and she said too much before she knew it. It was one of the worst radio interview performances in my living memory. She was all over the place and was giving conflicting information in a short space of time.

I'd class it as one of the best.

It was fcuking hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

golfball37 wrote: »
    When is this internal review going to publish its findings? 2 weeks are up.
    I'd like to see some media put the pressure on Leo here. This cannot be swept under the carpet.

I was really disappointed that the Irish Times inside politics podcast hasn't covered the story and I was tweeting Hugh Linenhan to see if they would take a look on foot of the report now being due. Tumbleweed so far.

And on we go, more drip drip from the Indo

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/td-farrell-campaigned-actively-in-weeks-after-significant-injury-38218421.html
    Fine Gael TD Alan Farrell continued to actively campaign in the weeks after he claimed to suffer a "significant injury" in a crash. Photographs posted on social media by the politician show that he canvassed ahead of the marriage equality referendum, which took place on May 22, 2015. This included a photocall holding a cricket bat alongside Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe and Senator James Reilly.

The traffic accident occurred on April 9 in Drumcondra, Dublin, and according to Mr Farrell's legal claim resulted in injuries that continued to "flare up" for 18 months. It was reported yesterday that the chairman of the Oireachtas Committee on Children played a soccer match within that timeframe. Mr Farrell also attended overseas conferences in Georgia and Macedonia in his capacity as a TD in July and September 2016.

His legal case related to a car accident in Drumcondra, Dublin, in which he suffered a whiplash injury. The backbenchher brought a personal injuries claim for up to €15,000 against Hertz Rent-A-Car after the collision which occurred at around 8kmh. He was awarded €2,500 for his injuries, but a judge said there was "little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Some more examples of the impact that the "best of people" can have when looking for easy money.
    Charities are being forced to spend €1 out of every €10 they get on insurance, forcing many to curtail services.

The insurance crisis means charities are now seeing 10pc of annual expenditure swallowed up by the cost of cover.

Businesses and charities alike have seen their insurance premiums shoot up by 200pc over the last five years, a survey from the Alliance for Insurance Reform lobby group shows. The survey of firms and voluntary community groups found that the cost of public and employer liability insurance was now a threat to their survival.

Some 95pc of businesses and charities say the Government is not doing enough to address the insurance crisis.

Some voluntary groups are being hit with premium rises of up to 60pc, according to Ivan Cooper of The Wheel charities association. He said a survey carried out in conjunction with the Alliance for Insurance Reform shows that 22pc of voluntary groups said the cost of cover was threatening their future.

Wow. This is looking as bad as Bailey's claim.

Fine Gael will be tarnished for a decade by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Seems someone in FG has seriously p*ssed off the minions in the Indo. Dog with a bone, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Wow. This is looking as bad as Bailey's claim.

Fine Gael will be tarnished for a decade by this.

I wonder could Bailey and Farrell be undercover FF agents sent in to subvert FG from the inside. They are doing a sterling job if they are. Definitely on Micheál's christmas card list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Seems someone in FG has seriously p*ssed off the minions in the Indo. Dog with a bone, lol.

It's great...and I never say that about the indo. About FG were exposed for the arrogant, sleveens they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

What's happening on the Indo since redacted ceased to have a role should be a flag to us all at how our media needs to be free and fair which it certainly is not.

They have literally gone from a FG spin machine to actually reporting on facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The sheer neck and arrogance of FG is coming to the fore now. That "welfare cheats" poster Varadkar was holding up some time ago is going to follow him around for the rest of his career because of this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Or has the recent selling of a significant amount of shares freed the reins somewhat I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's a family friend that was asked the evening before the interview to accompany her to rte. I'd say it was a case of "I got this "

Where's the fcuking report lads..........?

The lack of action on Bailey, and clarification on the report means people will have to fill in the blank's, and surmise for themselves.

Here's one possible scenario I've envisaged.

Kate O'Connell, Josepha Madigan and Maria Bailey leave Sandyford on the Luas, tanked up to fcuk, Bailey and Madigan each supping from a can of devils bit cider, Kate swigging from a naggin of Bacardi that she's premixed with coke zero because calories etc, girls got her figure to mind.

They arrive at the Dean, where they immediately harangue the bartender that "service is required" followed by "we're pretty big deals in fg circles oh yer" as the Barman eventually gets them their two bottles of Stella and a Sauv Blanc.

Tubthumping comes on, the three of them link arms and in unison sing along with the words "drinks a vodka drink, drink a lager drink, etc etc," then followed by "get knocked down but I get up again", when suddenly Maria comes up with the brain wave that it would be "totes a fab idea to get a selfie on the swings" - so the three of them jump on the lift to Sophie's, checking out the lunch boxes on some of south dubs finest men on a night out on their onward journey.

Upon getting to the swings bailey takes her seat, poses for a selfie -stella raised aloft (no point buying a beer if you don't either drink it, or put a photo of it up on social media) and realises that, (signs or no signs, swings are designed to be gripped with both hands) she asks one of her two compadres to take the photo for her.

Madigan, clutching a goblet of wine in one hand, the bottle in the other, realises that her phones in the inside of her jacket, and asks Bailey to hold the wine bottle so she can fetch it forthwith.

Upon reaching for the bottle of gargle, gravity reminds Maria's arse that it cares not a jot for politics or status symbol, and sends said arse off swing, and Bailey goes arse over tit, plummeting to the ground.

Cue, schoolgirl like titters and giggles from all concerned with the exception of Bailey, who feels morto. Quicky gathering herself up off the ground, and heads for the nearest jack's to assess the situation.

Legalese jargon starts being spouted in an effort to quell Maria's mortoness, about how the swings shouldn't be there without instructions how to safely use them (snigger) or without adult supervision (snigger again) from a lawyer high on ego, wine and self importance.

Bailey gets advised to seek plasters from the hotel reception, and the importance of recording the incident in the health and safety book they might have (gonna be needed later)

Few meetings in the ensuing weeks with solicitor where their stall is laid out, where to take the claim, what angle to go with and make sure they know you're an avid runner whom couldn't run at all for months afterwards. Wink wink.

Reassurances all over the show that this will be settled well before court, plebs won't even be told of this one, clear cut negligence etc etc.

Bailey stops at travel agents on way home, leaves with brochures of five stars in Florida, all inclusive, why not.

Excrement whacks the fan, whole thing gets exposed because the feckin Dean refused to go down without a fight, newspaper articles, FG reps getting mouthfuls on the doorsteps by disgruntled insurance payers, then Bailey's radio interview, FG completely affronted, humanity was crossed, Farrells episode is once again brought to the fore, reminding the great unwashed that the lure of easy money via dodgy insurance claims isn't unique to Maria.

Leo's campaign to grass up welfare fraud gets wheeled out to remind us that he and his party apparently operate a zero tolerance approach to scamming and cheating systems.

Minister's and TDs voice their annoyance, one even deletes Bailey's photo from Facebook (ouch)**

**Some or perhaps even all of the above might not be true, hence the need for facts from Kennedy's report needs to be published.

Humanity however, has well and truly been crossed to fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its a death trap here at Taste of Dublin. Multiple swings adjacent to bars. We have only had a few casualties so far. Amateurs.

This will be the must have summer party accessory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fine Gael won't make any report on the Maria Bailey incident public. They'll cite that it's an internal party matter.

And they are right, it is an internal party matter and they are under no obligation whatsoever to publicise the report. But hopefully the public will remember that come the next visit to the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

maybe they got their latest insurance quote

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Fine Gael won't make any report on the Maria Bailey incident public. They'll cite that it's an internal party matter.

And they are right, it is an internal party matter and they are under no obligation whatsoever to publicise the report. But hopefully the public will remember that come the next visit to the ballot box.

If it isn't made public, or if Bailey isn't stripped of the whip, then it just solidifies my suspicion that Madigans involvement in the whole sordid affair goes deep, enough to torpedo the party completely.

After her radio interview, and what she let slip - that's the only reasonable conclusion I could arrive at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If it isn't made public, or if Bailey isn't stripped of the whip, then it just solidifies my suspicion that Madigans involvement in the whole sordid affair goes deep, enough to torpedo the party completely.

After her radio interview, and what she let slip - that's the only reasonable conclusion I could arrive at.

A very reasonable assumption.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

I dont expect the report to be made public at all. But I would expect any political leader to remove the whip from her for engaging in insurance fraud, plus Alan Farrell too. But this is Leo who doesnt like to rock the boat and wants to be everyones friend so theres a very good chance she remains in situ.

If that happens it will be a serious political miscalculation with their own voters, those votes they 'borrowed' from FF back in 2011 will suddenly go flowing back the other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement