Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont expect the report to be made public at all. But I would expect any political leader to remove the whip from her for engaging in insurance fraud, plus Alan Kelly too. But this is Leo who doesnt like to rock the boat and wants to be everyones friend so theres a very good chance she remains in situ.

If that happens it will be a serious political miscalculation with their own voters, those votes they 'borrowed' from FF back in 2011 will suddenly go flowing back the other way.

I think you intended to say Alan “Farrell” rather than Kelly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think you intended to say Alan “Farrell” rather than Kelly there.

Alan "power" Kelly....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yep, edited now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont expect the report to be made public at all. But I would expect any political leader to remove the whip from her for engaging in insurance fraud, plus Alan Farrell too. But this is Leo who doesnt like to rock the boat and wants to be everyones friend so theres a very good chance she remains in situ.

I know my views here in this thread are unpopular but here's the thing though. They won't be able to blame her for insurance fraud because what she has done doesn't reach the bar for fraud.

You aren't happy with it, I'm not happy with it. Nobody is too happy about it. But Fine Gael could be heading down the road of a defamation lawsuit if they kick her out for insurance fraud because she hasn't been convicted of insurance fraud.

Could they kick her out for bringing the party into disrepute? I doubt it. That would be heading along the defamation route too.

I know people are screaming that she is guilty of fraud but if you ask anybody in the industry (insurance/legal/H&S), nearly all will say that this doesn't come close enough to be considered fraud and they are people who have experience in dealing with claims. My experience is that I defend claims for my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

as much as I'd love to see those rats torpedoed now, if it didnt cause an immediate election, I'd prefer they hold off on delivering the killer blow...

Nothing! Nothing! will give me the delight and pleasure, of seeing the fraudulent , failure, removed as Taoiseach. He comes in, a young leader with an appetite for change and new way of doing business!

He wasnt even a decades long career politician, that has been beaten down by the system! He could have changed the country for the better, improved the lives of all five million of us. What does he do? Ducks, dips, dives and dodges. Absolutely pathetic figure!

Its funny they cant do anything, about insurance, but they come up a solution to a fairly complex and incredibly expensive bank bailout in a few hours. Its ok when the money goes that way. But when its housing, health etc, when we need help from those *****, do we get it? no.

8 years in power and there is a FIFTY percent marginal rate of tax, they are a disgrace on the environment. Housing is comedy! Health is comedy! Infrastructure is comedy!

Should we bear with them another 8 years while they get a grip on these issues? they have all the money in the world now with the boom, so if they havent sorted it now, it obviously means there is no will to do so...

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know my views here in this thread are unpopular but here's the thing though. They won't be able to blame her for insurance fraud because what she has done doesn't reach the bar for fraud.

You aren't happy with it, I'm not happy with it. Nobody is too happy about it. But Fine Gael could be heading down the road of a defamation lawsuit if they kick her out for insurance fraud because she hasn't been convicted of insurance fraud and they are people who have experience in dealing with claims. My experience is that I defend claims for my employer.

Could they kick her out for bringing the party into disrepute? I doubt it. That would be heading along the defamation route too.

I know people are screaming that she is guilty of fraud but if you ask anybody in the industry (insurance/legal/H&S), nearly all will say that this doesn't come close enough to be considered fraud.

if FG wont sack her, I expect the electorate to do so!

Idbatterim wrote: »

My post that you quoted came out a bit scrambled and I didn't notice it. Fixed it now.

But yeah, I'd hope that the electorate give Bailey the auld heave ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Idbatterim wrote: »

LOL. The electorate have short memories. Michael Lowry still tops the poll in tipperary. Or tipperary north as somebody i know from south tipp always reminds me when his name is mentioned.

LOL. The electorate have short memories. Michael Lowry still tops the poll in tipperary. Or tipperary north as somebody i know from south tipp always reminds me when his name is mentioned.

Some politicians do fall on their sword. We can only hope.

maria bailey is less likely to have gotten a new road etc built in her constituency! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Some politicians do fall on their sword. We can only hope.

can you really see bailey doing that?

If she did fall on her sword, I'm sure she'd find a way to claim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Has she been provided with signs on how to properly fall on a sword, and will her sword falling event have adult supervision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Was she trained in the proper use of a sword?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lowry is the quintessential pot hole man. Depends on what Bailey has to offer her constituents.
    None of this takes away from her showing up FG and Leo seemingly okay with leading hypocrites, 'the best' mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You aren't happy with it, I'm not happy with it. Nobody is too happy about it. But Fine Gael could be heading down the road of a defamation lawsuit if they kick her out for insurance fraud because she hasn't been convicted of insurance fraud.

I know people are screaming that she is guilty of fraud but if you ask anybody in the industry (insurance/legal/H&S), nearly all will say that this doesn't come close enough to be considered fraud and they are people who have experience in dealing with claims. My experience is that I defend claims for my employer.

I agree with you, the only people who can deal with her now is the electorate.
    Judging by past scandals where people got re-elected I doubt any thing will happen. Shame on us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

After her radio interview, and what she let slip - that's the only reasonable conclusion I could arrive at.

Just reading this I was thinking maybe it wasnt a slip at all, maybe just a cleverly injected inference. Get rid of me and I will bring you all down.

Lowry does tons of work for the people down there, those sorts tend to do well.

Hard to know what, if anything Bailey does, old school voters will just vote FG if they always did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Shemale wrote: »
    Lowry does tons of work for the people down there, those sorts tend to do well.

Hard to know what, if anything Bailey does, old school voters will just vote FG if they always did

Dun Laoghaire appears to be some sort of strange quagmire where they elect Rich Boy Barrett*, John Bailey and of course, her good self.

They probably like to sneer at the Healy Raes and Lowry's of this world when in fact their lot aren't much (if at all) better.

*may seem harsh lumping him in there with the other two cute hoors but seriously, why oh why would you vote for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I get the jist of your post but disagree with this part. She was very close to committing insurance fraud, in fact her case was just a matter of weeks away until she got rumbled by the Indo. Had that case gone ahead Bailey was going before a court of law and telling an outright lie on her affadavit that she wasn't able to run for three months after the accident, something we now know to be completely false. If she had of been put in the dock and repeated that lie then again she is guilty of an offence of perjury under oath.

Aside from that lying on an affidavit is an offence, if it wasnt our entire justice system would collapse in the morning. The fact that lying on affidavits never gets punished in this country is another topic altogether but we can say with certainty that Maria Bailey is guilty of this offense.

Defamation doesnt come into it, you can only defame someone through speech or text. All FG have to do is release a statement saying 'We have removed the whip from Maria Bailey, we now considered this matter to be closed'. No defamation in that statement at all. They already did this for Lucinda Creighton when they kicked her out of the party so this is not new territory.

She doesnt have a normal employer-employee relationship so if FG threw her out of the party she has no recourse to the WRC under unfair dismissal.

Essentially if Leo has the balls to kick her out then he can and once he follows the procedures of the Fine Gael party constitution then Bailey has no legal recourse. The problem is Leo doesnt seem to have the balls to do what is required here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just reading this I was thinking maybe it wasnt a slip at all, maybe just a cleverly injected inference. Get rid of me and I will bring you all down.

Giving her way too much credit.. she's about as far removed from clever as you can get, particularly in that shambles of a radio interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

givyjoe wrote: »
    Giving her way too much credit.. she's about as far removed from clever as you can get, particularly in that shambles of a radio interview.

I agree. I read the transcript and thought she was quite inarticulate.

Dun Laoghaire appears to be some sort of strange quagmire where they elect Rich Boy Barrett*, John Bailey and of course, her good self.

They probably like to sneer at the Healy Raes and Lowry's of this world when in fact their lot aren't much (if at all) better.

*may seem harsh lumping him in there with the other two cute hoors but seriously, why oh why would you vote for him?

Well they work in the same field I suppose other than that you can only look after your own and no rich fella has any business fighting for poor people? Not harsh more of a stretch.

I'd say it was nervous school girl caught smoking, borderline ratting out her pals, but caught herself. FG survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don't think some people on here realise how Dubliners vote.

Not a hope in hell this one will be re-elected.

If Leo had any sense he wouldn't even allow her run for election,

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I don't think some people on here realise how Dubliners vote.

Not a hope in hell this one will be re-elected.

If Leo had any sense he wouldn't even allow her run for election,

We've a FG chancer in our area and 'better the devil you know' or 'rather than some blow in' comes up when she's re-elected even though she's been caught lying on issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I will forecast now that Bailey will lose her seat. She may have a few hard core supporters but I think the general FG voter in that area will see her for what she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I will forecast now that Bailey will lose her seat. She may have a few hard core supporters but I think the general FG voter in that area will see her for what she is.

As a FG voter in the last GE in this constituency, I'll be ensuring she is at the bottom of the ballot when voting. Madigan as well if there isn't a clear statement/proof showing she had nothing do with advising Bailey to take the case. Fine gael have had great sound bites (people who get up early in the morning) , and no action.

I was very sick in 2015, and off work for a while, about 6 weeks. No pay after sick leave used, claimed illness benefit, which arrived within days of the hospital bill, cancelling each other out in essence, effectively I had no income during this period due to the bill. I clearly don't get up early enough.

I didnt say her, she had a PR with her and FG had no knowledge of her doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I didnt say her, she had a PR with her and FG had no knowledge of her doing it.

The pr guy was just a mate who knows his way round rte..

• Advertisement

The pr guy was just a mate who knows his way round rte..

Not very well or he would have grabbed her out of the interview

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement