Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is amazing that opposing an ideology has now been classed as racism. It's not.

Ok then, Sectarianism a more appropriate word/description for you?

banie01 wrote:
    Ok then, Sectarianism a more appropriate word/description for you?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No.

So what would you describe discrimination and active opposition based on solely religious grounds as?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It is amazing that opposing an ideology has now been classed as racism. It's not.
    Remind me, is calling something from another culture "dirty" and a "****hole" racist?
    How about the idea of boycotting a business because you believe a conspiracy theory about the culture of the people who run that business? Racist?

If not, can you please explain what would be racist?

Do you also buy into red's rather bizarre conspiracy theory that Brennan's was trying to hush up their halal certification?

King Mob wrote:
    Remind me, is calling something from another culture "dirty" and a "****hole" racist? How about the idea of boycotting a business because you believe a conspiracy theory about the culture of the people who run that business? Racist?

No. It's not.

When in Morocco, I was constantly reminded that my ideals and dietary habits were dirty and abhorrent to the locals.

I respected that and did everything I could to fit in to their customs and beliefs.

I haven't read this whole thread so can't comment on the conspiracy theory regarding the bread. I'd prefer to give my custom to businesses that were opposed to halal practices.

Racism is treating someone different or feeling superior to them because of their ethnicity/race.

I don't oppose anyone's ethnicity or race. I oppose plenty of people ideals. Just like you do.

But it's easier for you to call everyone a racist if they don't agree with you. Fire ahead. As I said earlier, it is pointless:
    You aren't prepared to engage in discourse so I will not be responding to you any further. I've made my point. You called people racist where it's patently and undeniably untrue and are doing nothing except baiting people to lose their cool with your arrogant and dismissive attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No. It's not.

When in Morocco, I was constantly reminded that my ideals and dietary habits were dirty and abhorrent to the locals.

I respected that and did everything I could to fit in to their customs and beliefs.

I haven't read this whole thread so can't comment on the conspiracy theory regarding the bread. I'd prefer to give my custom to businesses that were opposed to halal practices.

Racism is treating someone different or feeling superior to them because of their ethnicity/race.

I don't oppose anyone's ethnicity or race. I oppose plenty of people ideals. Just like you do.

But it's easier for you to call everyone a racist if they don't agree with you. Fire ahead. As I said earlier, it is pointless:

What is it about halal that upsets you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Isn't it funny though, when they come here they don't see any need to fit in.
    Its our foodstuffs that need to be changed, to suit them.

No. It's not.

Lol. You're contradicting yourself.
    But that's not why I'm calling what was said racist.

I'm calling it racism because it's an expression of one culture's superiority over anothers.
    Calling halal food "dirty" is racist. Calling Islamic things "barbaric" is racist.
    Boycotting businesses because you subscribe to a bizarre paranoid conspiracy theory about a specific culture is "racist".

And hey, if you're so ready to not respond to the topic of the thread, I'm a bit confused as to why you're posting...

I'd also like to know why you are triggered by halal bread...

recedite wrote: »
    Lol.
    Who are "they" exactly?
    What was changed about Brennan's bread?
    Please be specific.

How has your foodstuff changed? What's different about it today as regard to say 18 months ago?

• Advertisement

What is it about halal that upsets you?

The non stunning of the animal would be one of the main issues.

I know you said that they are stunned in the UK and Ireland but I couldn't find anything that says that.

I'd be more than happy to read anything to the contrary.

I know you said that they are stunned in the UK and Ireland but I couldn't find anything that says that.

So to be clear, you've been upset about something that you've never actually checked to see if it was true or not...

King Mob wrote:
    I'm calling it racism because it's an expression of one culture's superiority over anothers. Calling halal food "dirty" is racist. Calling Islamic things "barbaric" is racist. Boycotting businesses because you subscribe to a bizarre paranoid conspiracy theory about a specific culture is "racist".

It's not. Not even nearly. Opposing aspects of a different culture is not racist.
    King Mob wrote:
    Lol. You're contradicting yourself.

I haven't. Racism is feeling of superiority because of race. Islam is not a race. And although I would be loathe to say my ideals are superior to anyone elses, I would certainly oppose and fight against many aspects of it and would hate to see them implemented in any country I would choose to call home. Laugh away though.

King Mob wrote:
    So to be clear, you've been upset about something that you've never actually checked to see if it was true or not...

No. I have looked and everything I have read about halal butchering points to the fact that animals aren't stunned.

I wouldn't say I'm upset about it either. I just would not like to see it as standard or to be something promoted.

Cathy Newman would be proud of your tactics though.

I posted links before on another thread, not searching again as I'm on the phone enjoying a cold one in the beer garden (27 fecking degrees here).

I posted links before on another thread, not searching again as I'm on the phone enjoying a cold one in the beer garden (27 fecking degrees here).

No worries. I'll have a look later on. Enjoy the beer and get off your damn phone!! :)

It's not. Not even nearly. Opposing aspects of a different culture is not racist.
    But that's not the point I was making. You are avoiding it.
    Calling aspects of a different culture things like "dirty" "****hole" and "barbaric" are racist. They are expressing superiority of one culture over anothers using specifically dehumanising words.

Believing in silly conspiracy theories about foreign cultures is racist.
    I haven't. Racism is feeling of superiority because of race. Islam is not a race.
    What do you call it when it is against culture or religion then?
    Is it impossible to discriminate or feel superior to cultures? Or is that acceptable?
    Do you believe that there's no such thing as antisemitism since Judaism isn't a race either?
    No. I have looked and everything I have read about halal butchering points to the fact that animals aren't stunned.
    Cool.
    Links to these things you've read that state this is the case in Ireland?

Also, again pointing out that the topic at hand is bread.
    Bread is not meat.

King Mob wrote:
    What do you call it when it is against culture or religion then? Is it impossible to discriminate or feel superior to cultures? Or is that acceptable? Do you believe that there's no such thing as antisemitism since Judaism isn't a race either?

Are you saying being critical of aspects of others beliefs or culture is racist?

Is being opposed to religious based circumcisions and saying calling it genutal mutilation racist?

Is opposing FGM racist?

Is opposing barbaric treatment of homosexuals racist?

Is opposing the slaughter of animals without stunning them racist?

Is opposing the consumption of alcohol or bacon products racist?

Are you saying being critical of aspects of others beliefs or culture is racist?
    No, I specifically explained to you what I mean.
    Read my post and try again.

Also maybe try answering the rest of my questions before asking rhetoric ones of your own.

King Mob wrote:
    No, I specifically explained to you what I mean. Read my post and try again.

I've read it.
    King Mob wrote:
    But that's not the point I was making. You are avoiding it. Calling aspects of a different culture things like "dirty" "****hole" and "barbaric" are racist. They are expressing superiority of one culture over anothers using specifically dehumanising words.

I've read it. I'm not avoiding it.

Calling aspects of other cultures dirty and barbaric is not racist. And yes, I feel that western culture is superior to Islamic culture due to their treatment of women, homosexuality, animals and other barbaric and dirty acts.

That isn't racist. You claim that it is.

That's my one and only point.

• Advertisement

I've read it.

I've read it. I'm not avoiding it.

Calling aspects of other cultures dirty and barbaric is not racist. And yes, I feel that western culture is superior to Islamic culture due to their treatment of women, homosexuality, animals and other barbaric and dirty acts.

That isn't racist. You claim that it is.

That's my one and only point.
    Ok.
    So what do you call it when someone claims that another culture or similar group of people is lesser?
    What do you believe antisemitism is since it can't possibly be racism?

Do you believe that antisemitism doesn't exist as it's discrimination just not against a race?

Personally, I call it and your stance a bit racist. You might call it something else, but we mean the same thing.

Perhaps you can provide an example of what you think is racist?
    I'm not avoiding it.
    So that link to the things you said you've read...?

King Mob wrote:
    Perhaps you can provide an example of what you think is racist?

Disliking black people because of the colour of their skin.
    King Mob wrote:
    Do you believe that antisemitism doesn't exist as it's discrimination just not against a race?

anti-Semitism is more political or hating Jews completely for them being Jewish. I don't hate Muslims because they follow Islam. I just don't agree with their aspects of their religion and would oppose them being implemented in western society.
    King Mob wrote:
    Ok. So what do you call it when someone claims that another culture or similar group of people is lesser? What do you believe antisemitism is since it can't possibly be racism?

Well it depends on context. If for example I feel that western culture is superior to Islamic culture due to the fact that we don't kill gays and allow women equal rights, I would call it common sense.

Disliking black people because of the colour of their skin.
    And then disliking black people because you believe they are dirty and do barbaric things?
    Racism?
    anti-Semitism is more political or hating Jews completely for them being Jewish. I don't hate Muslims because they follow Islam. I just don't agree with their aspects of their religion and would oppose them being implemented in western society.
    Again, you are contradicting yourself here.

You've also avoided the question.
    How can antisemitism be racism when it's not about a race?

How is what you say any different from what antisemites say about Judaism?
    Well it depends on context. If for example I feel that western culture is superior to Islamic culture due to the fact that we don't kill gays and allow women equal rights, I would call it common sense.
    Ok.
    So antisemitism is also just "common sense" as long as someone believes that their culture is superior to Jewish culture?

(Also, lol at your examples.)

Also, any luck finding that link that forms the basis of your entire outrage?
    Can we just assume you're not going to provide it...?

King Mob wrote: »
    And then disliking black people because you believe they are dirty and do barbaric things?
    Racism?

If you think all black people do dirty and barbaric things because of the colour of their skin, yes you are a racist.
    Again, you are contradicting yourself here.

You've also avoided the question.
    How can antisemitism be racism when it's not about a race?

How is what you say any different from what antisemites say about Judaism?

I am not. Anti-semitism isnt racism. It's anti-semitism. In fact, I have some misgivings with Judaism such as the enforced circumsicion of male chidren for religious purposes. I think that is also barbaric. Doesn't mean I hate all jews. I just have issues with certain parts of their religion which.

So antisemitism is also just "common sense" as long as someone believes that their culture is superior to Jewish culture?

(Also, lol at your examples.)

Also, any luck finding that link that forms the basis of your entire outrage?
    Can we just assume you're not going to provide it...?

"lol" at my examples all you like.

I am not outraged, I just don't like halal pracitises. I am not a fan of Islam and their culture outside the western world. I believe that there are problems with almost (if not all) religions but I do feel that Islam is the least compatible to the West. In no way am saying all muslims are barbaric or dirty, I know you would like to try and frame it as if I was, but if I am right about halal, along with the other issues I have with the religion.

Followers of islam have an issue with the west too, which I can respect. Whenever I am in an Islamist country, I make sure to adhere to their culture's practices.

And again, using emotive words like "racist" "outrage" etc when people are just trying to get their point across is an underhanded debating tactic.

My whole point is that disagreeing with religious practises isn't racist. When I say this you immediately point to Jews and Anti-semitism and conflating the two, all the while "lol"-ing when the issue of womens rights and violence against homosexuals is pointed out in response.

Here's a link
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/halal-non-stunning-of-cattle-pre-slaughter-is-a-contentious-issue-says-vet/

I wont be responding to you anymore (I know, I said that before) as you are looking for an argument rather than a conversation and to be honest, I don't have the time or inclination to bother with someone like you (that's probably racist in your opinion)

If you think all black people do dirty and barbaric things because of the colour of their skin, yes you are a racist.

I am not. Anti-semitism isnt racism. It's anti-semitism. In fact, I have some misgivings with Judaism such as the enforced circumsicion of male chidren for religious purposes. I think that is also barbaric. Doesn't mean I hate all jews. I just have issues with certain parts of their religion which.

"lol" at my examples all you like.

I am not outraged, I just don't like halal pracitises. I am not a fan of Islam and their culture outside the western world. I believe that there are problems with almost (if not all) religions but I do feel that Islam is the least compatible to the West. In no way am saying all muslims are barbaric or dirty, I know you would like to try and frame it as if I was, but if I am right about halal, along with the other issues I have with the religion.

Followers of islam have an issue with the west too, which I can respect. Whenever I am in an Islamist country, I make sure to adhere to their culture's practices.

And again, using emotive words like "racist" "outrage" etc when people are just trying to get their point across is an underhanded debating tactic.

My whole point is that disagreeing with religious practises isn't racist. When I say this you immediately point to Jews and Anti-semitism and conflating the two, all the while "lol"-ing when the issue of womens rights and violence against homosexuals is pointed out in response.

Here's a link
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/halal-non-stunning-of-cattle-pre-slaughter-is-a-contentious-issue-says-vet/

I wont be responding to you anymore (I know, I said that before) as you are looking for an argument rather than a conversation and to be honest, I don't have the time or inclination to bother with someone like you (that's probably racist in your opinion)

Do you have an issue with their insistence on kosher food/meals?

My whole point is that disagreeing with religious practises isn't racist.
    And again, you misrepresent my point.

You do so several times in your post. Particularly "all the while "lol"-ing when the issue of womens rights and violence against homosexuals is pointed out in response."

I assure you, I was laughing at you, not those issues.

Do you have an issue with their insistence on kosher food/meals?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/irish-pride-is-pronounced-kosher-1.1017884

I'm sure they'll be rushing to boycott Irish Pride too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Halal meat in ireland and the uk is stunned.
    I think I'll go with the qualified veterinary surgeon on this one.
    Also maybe try answering the rest of my questions before asking rhetoric ones of your own.
    You don't get to control the whole conversation simply by calling other people racists. That doesn't give you automatic immunity to any criticism. It doesn't give you the right to interrogate other posters while never answering them, and never citing any evidence for your assertions.

Maybe try answering some questions yourself for a change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

She is apparently talking about flying out to attend the pride parade in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia next week .
    It's the biggest parade in the middle East.

Wonder what she will get up to out there

• Advertisement

I think I'll go with the qualified veterinary surgeon on this one.

You don't get to control the whole conversation simply by calling other people racists. That doesn't give you automatic immunity to any criticism. It doesn't give you the right to interrogate other posters while never answering them, and never citing any evidence for your assertions.

Maybe try answering some questions yourself for a change.
    Gosh you guys are easily upset by terms and simple questions.

If you have any specific questions are aren't just transparent attempts to deflect, I'd gladly answer them.

Could you specify what about Brennan's Bread was changed to make it halal and what about this change has triggered you so much.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110561971&postcount=188

Could you perhaps detail out your conspiracy theory a little more to show that it isn't as silly as it seems at first glance...

Advertisement