Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Cordell wrote: »
    Your neighbor being robbed doesn't impact you either, right?

There's 2 problems with it: it's against the law and it's fundamentalism (follow the letter, not the spirit). The law and EU regulations require that livestock needs to be stunned before slaughtering (so it's either they get a waiver or a looking the other way, everyone else needs to comply, that is, discrimination), and the spirit of this halal BS is that it's supposed to be a set of guidelines of what's healthy and safe and what's not. Pork meat spoils easily and can carry parasites, but that's not true anymore today. Today pork is safer than chicken, halal or not. And smoking is not haram.
    So it impacts you by... doing...? :confused:

King Mob wrote:
    And as I explained there's no point getting into why using the term "barbaric" in this context has implications. No one has so far been able to directly answer my questions. Best to keep it on topic.

My apologies. You aren't questioning anything I have said so I don't feel as if I should answer on anyone elses behalf.

Calling halal practices barbaric isn't racist. And painting it as if it is, is dishonest. That's my one and only point on this thread.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Well maybe you shouldnt ask people that never claimed it was a conspiracy. And as for calling me a racist, its laughable I'm not even slightly insulted. You people aren't gonna put a stop to anyone by calling them racist, that time is over. Deal with it.
    Again, you guys are being triggered and railing about the issue of muslims interfering with your precious bread on a conspiracy theories forum.
    I'm still confused why you are posting here if you don't think it's conspiracy.

Seems a bit like you just wanted to have a go at the muslims.

And not sure where you're getting the idea that i'm trying to stop anyone.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

King Mob wrote: »
    Again, you guys are being triggered and railing about the issue of muslims interfering with your precious bread on a conspiracy theories forum.
    I'm still confused why you are posting here if you don't think it's conspiracy.

Seems a bit like you just wanted to have a go at the muslims.

And not sure where you're getting the idea that i'm trying to stop anyone.
    :confused:

Why are you posting here?

My apologies. You aren't questioning anything I have said so I don't feel as if I should answer on anyone elses behalf.

Calling halal practices barbaric isn't racist. And painting it as if it is, is dishonest. That's my one and only point on this thread.
    Sure... If you say so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why are you posting here?
    Cause conspiracy theories interest me and I'm trying to see if there's any conspiracy here, since this was posted on the conspiracy theory forum.

I have to keep posting to rephrase and re ask my questions cause you guys can't seem to answer them directly.

So there is no conspiracy here. Some people are just upset about muslims interfering with their bread, but not enough to do anything about it.
    But they definitely aren't racist.
    Bout right?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Cause conspiracy theories interest me and I'm trying to see if there's any conspiracy here, since this was posted on the conspiracy theory forum.

I have to keep posting to rephrase and re ask my questions cause you guys can't seem to answer them directly.

So there is no conspiracy here. Some people are just upset about muslims interfering with their bread, but not enough to do anything about it.
    But they definitely aren't racist.
    Bout right?

You haven't even bothered to explain how what I said was racist, because you cant. I'd like to see you try though.

King Mob wrote:
    Some people are just upset about muslims practices. But they definitely aren't racist. Bout right?

Eh... Yes.

I have misgivings about forced circumcisions but I wouldn't call myself antisemitic.

I am not happy with affirmative action but I'm not anti black.

I don't believe in gender quotas but I'm not sexist.

Do you have to agree wholesale with an ideology in order to be not racist in your opinion? (Ignoring the fact that an ideology isn't a race as you seem to think it is - you don't need to be a certain race to follow Islam)

What a bizarre and confrontational attitude you have.

You haven't even bothered to explain how what I said was racist, because you cant. I'd like to see you try though.
    No, as I've explained, I haven't bothered cause you've been dodging my questions.

Eh... Yes.

I have misgivings about forced circumcisions but I wouldn't call myself antisemitic.

I am not happy with affirmative action but I'm not anti black.

I don't believe in gender quotas but I'm not sexist.

Do you have to agree wholesale with an ideology in order to be not racist in your opinion? (Ignoring the fact that an ideology isn't a race as you seem to think it is - you don't need to be a certain race to follow Islam)

What a bizarre and confrontational attitude you have.
    Lol, keep going.

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote:
    Lol, keep going.

No thanks.

You aren't prepared to engage in discourse so I will not be responding to you any further. I've made my point. You called people racist where it's patently and undeniably untrue and are doing nothing except baiting people to lose their cool with your arrogant and dismissive attitude.

You know you were wrong. You may have had a point when addressing other posters but to try and label people racist for disagreeing with halal slaughter (not bread manufacturing - slaughter was the word used when I pulled you up on it) is inherently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Absolutely not. I was only referring to when you said that referring to halal slaughter (ie not allowing an animal to be stunned before slaughtered) as barbaric was racist.

Halal meat in ireland and the uk is stunned.

No thanks.

You aren't prepared to engage in discourse so I will not be responding to you any further. I've made my point. You called people racist where it's patently and undeniably untrue and are doing nothing except baiting people to lose their cool with your arrogant and dismissive attitude.

You know you were wrong. You may have had a point when addressing other posters but to try and label people racist for disagreeing with halal slaughter (not bread manufacturing - slaughter was the word used when I pulled you up on it) is inherently wrong.
    Calling other cultures dirty and barbaric is racist.
    Saying that muslims should go home is racist.
    It's pretty self explanatory.

Speaking of not engaging in discourse, not a single person triggered by the muslims in the bread have actually been able to explain what impact it has other than halal stuff bothers them.

I think that the lack of any explanation is cause the explanation is basic racist attitudes.

Again, the original topic was a conspiracy surrounding bread being certified as halal.
    You guys are the ones who decided you had to let everyone know that halal slaughter was dirty and barbaric apropo of nothing.
    If you didn't want to discuss the actual topic, then it begs the question why post...

And the answer seems to be to have a go at muslims and their "dirty, barbaric" practices.
    That doesn't help your "i'm not racist but..." stance...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont wanna be eating any halal dirt. And I defo wont be funding some Islamic **** hole mosque. I'll be checking what I buy from now on.

Banned.

Halal meat in ireland and the uk is stunned.

Really?

Honestly, I did not know that. I've looked at a couple of sources which told me the contrary but I'd be delighted to find out I was wrong.

Can you link me to where I could read about the actual procedure if you don't mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So then rather than ridiculing her for her ridiculous beliefs, you're getting all triggered and worked up cause of what she posted. (A two year old news story.)
    Seems a bit silly to me.
    Its not a news story until its actually in the news.
    And its not a 2 year old news story until it has been in the news for 2 years.

Supposing Brennans had made something known to muslims by having it listed here, while not advertising their Halal credentials to the general Irish public.

It seems Gemma has done more to make this a news story than Brennans has.
    And that's why we have journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Science writer takes legal action against Gemma O'Doherty https://jrnl.ie/4700195

Looking like Gemma might be in a little hot water. Not before time, hopefully she gets her comeuppance

recedite wrote: »
    Its not a news story until its actually in the news.
    And its not a 2 year old news story until it has been in the news for 2 years.

Supposing Brennans had made something known to muslims by having it listed here, while not advertising their Halal credentials to the general Irish public.

It seems Gemma has done more to make this a news story than Brennans has.
    And that's why we have journalists.
    Ok, but how does it affect you?

And what is the conspiracy? That Brennans were hiding their halal certification?

Also, someone who promotes the idea of contrails or faked school shootings is not a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Gerry G wrote: »
    Science writer takes legal action against Gemma O'Doherty https://jrnl.ie/4700195 Looking like Gemma might be in a little hot water. Not before time, hopefully she gets her comeuppance

It frustrates me how loose tongued she is, because I actually agree with her on quite a few of the things that she says - Mary Boyle cover-up, Fr Niall Molloy cover-up, Ian Bailey fit-up, corruption of the media, possible issues with vaccines. But she a) needs to shut down her Twitter account and b) stop coming to conclusions before having enough evidence.

It frustrates me how loose tongued she is, because I actually agree with her on quite a few of the things that she says - Mary Boyle cover-up, Fr Niall Molloy cover-up, Ian Bailey fit-up, corruption of the media, possible issues with vaccines. But she a) needs to shut down her Twitter account and b) stop coming to conclusions before having enough evidence.
    You don't have to agree with everything a journalist says. She can be wrong on one thing, and totally right on the other 90% (or 50% or 20% or whatever you're having yerself)

Its not about taking sides, and then following the party line on every single issue. That is what the libtard does.

• Advertisement

Ok, but how does it affect you?
    Does it affect me whether animals are slaughtered humanely or not? Not really.
    Does it affect me if my neighbour is robbed, or the streets are full of homeless people? Not really.
    Does it affect me if Brennans want to pay an annual certification fee to the islamic centre for each of their products? Not really.

Its just that some of us still have some sort of civic pride, we are not totally mé feiners. I can't stop libtard politicians from destroying the country, but we can all make tiny consumer choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Cordell

The last few referendums (referenda?) were to remove stuff that was added in the Constitution because or religious fundamentalism, this is how fundamentalism affects us.

Does it affect me whether animals are slaughtered humanely or not? Not really.
    Does it affect me if my neighbour is robbed, or the streets are full of homeless people? Not really.
    Does it affect me if Brennans want to pay an annual certification fee to the islamic centre for each of their products? Not really.

Its just that some of us still have some sort of civic pride, we are not totally meiners. I can't stop libtard politicians from destroying the country, but we can all make tiny consumer choices.
    So it doesn't effect you. A bit weird you compare it to robbing houses and homeless people...
    Also a bit weird that you bring up slaughtering animals when a) it's bread and b) halal animals in Ireland are stunned prior to slaughter.

However I asked two questions. You ignored one:

And what is the conspiracy? That Brennans were hiding their halal certification?

Also, in what way is Brennan's bread being certified as halal leading to the destruction of the country?
    In what way is getting triggered by that "civic pride"?
    Do you realise how silly that makes you sound?

recedite wrote:
    Does it affect me whether animals are slaughtered humanely or not? Not really. Does it affect me if my neighbour is robbed, or the streets are full of homeless people? Not really. Does it affect me if Brennans want to pay an annual certification fee to the islamic centre for each of their products? Not really.

recedite wrote:
    Its just that some of us still have some sort of civic pride, we are not totally mé feiners. I can't stop libtard politicians from destroying the country, but we can all make tiny consumer choices.

Despite being misrepresented in the reply you revieved, I think you explained that very well.

However I asked two questions. You ignored one:

And what is the conspiracy?
    As somebody else said to you already, ask the OP.
    If you think this thread is in the wrong forum, ask a mod to move it.

As somebody else said to you already, ask the OP.
    If you think this thread is in the wrong forum, ask a mod to move it.
    Again, questions dodged.

So there is no conspiracy.
    There is no affect on anyone or anything.
    There are no negative consequences to point to.
    There is no reason for you guys to get so worked up beyond your own irrational phobias of the foreign.

What point were you trying to make by reposting story about something that you agree is utterly meaningless and harmless?

Islam is not harmless. I'm not going to support it, and I'm not going to support businesses that support it.
    Gemma alerted us this week that some businesses have been pandering to the rapidly growing muslim customer base in Ireland by purchasing Islamic certification documents.
    Somebody said that was old news, because Brennans have been doing it for 2 years. Except its new news to most of us, because they have been selective about only blowing their halal trumpet within certain circles.

Is that a conspiracy? No, its clever marketing.
    Put on Old Mr. Brennan with his childhood tales of Olde Oirland for the traditional customer base, but wave the halal badge at the new demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Islam is not harmless. I'm not going to support it, and I'm not going to support businesses that support it.

How has it affected your life?
    Gemma alerted us this week that some businesses have been pandering to the rapidly growing muslim customer base in Ireland by purchasing Islamic certification documents.

She "alerted" you to something that's been going on for years, how does it affect you?

Somebody said that was old news, because Brennans have been doing it for 2 years. Except its new news to most of us, because they have been selective about only blowing their halal trumpet within certain circles.

So every company should announce every single decision they make even if it has no affect on you?

Put on Old Mr. Brennan with his childhood tales of Olde Oirland for the traditional customer base, but wave the halal badge at the new demographic.

And once again, how does it affect you? Does the bread somehow taste different to you now?

Ah ok. That makes more sense.
    It was racism all along.

In what way does Brennan's bread being halal support the harmful effects of Islam?
    xcept its new news to most of us, because they have been selective about only blowing their halal trumpet within certain circles.

Lol
    That is a conspiracy theory, and it's a bit silly and paranoid to be honest.
    And like most conspiracy theories, it doesn't make much sense.

Why, if Brennans are so concerned about their image in being seen as progressive, didn't they advertise the fact? How could they pander if they don't tell anyone about it?
    Why then if they didn't want to lose their "traditional customer base" did they do it in the first place?

It's not much better than the claims about communists interfering with our precious bodily fluids.
    You obviously haven't thought about this idea much beyond how offended and triggered you can pretend to be.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote:

It is amazing that opposing an ideology has now been classed as racism. It's not.

Advertisement