Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty and her unicorns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What is your problem with traditional Irish culture?

http://www.maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/ImagesM10/DohertyJ050310.jpg
    Nice photo. Are those kids barefoot too? Going by the woolly jumpers, its not summertime either.

Maybe you think going to school barefoot nowadays would be a good idea?
    Babies and small kids used to always wear dresses. It was a cost saving thing. Very young kids wore clothes handed down by older siblings, whether that was an older brother or a sister. Very poor kids kept doing it a bit longer, especially if they were the only boy in the family.
    These boys look a bit too old for wearing girls clothes, but they are probably from a very poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

recedite wrote: »
    Nice photo. Are those kids barefoot too? Going by the woolly jumpers, its not summertime either.

Maybe you think going to school barefoot nowadays would be a good idea?
    Babies and small kids used to always wear dresses. It was a cost saving thing. Very young kids wore clothes handed down by older siblings, whether that was an older brother or a sister. Very poor kids kept doing it a bit longer, especially if they were the only boy in the family.
    These boys look a bit too old for wearing girls clothes, but they are probably from a very poor family.
    So you now recognise skirts for boys as an Irish tradition, right? Surely we need to protect these traditions from the hordes of invaders at the gate and nurture our own traditions? How exactly does a policy that allows boys to wear skirts have a negative impact for you?

So you now recognise skirts for boys as an Irish tradition, right? Surely we need to protect these traditions from the hordes of invaders at the gate and nurture our own traditions? How exactly does a policy that allows boys to wear skirts have a negative impact for you?
    Unisex clothing for the younger childer was also normal in Britain.
    And probably around the rest of the world as well, I don't know exactly how widespread. How is this relevant?

Unisex clothing for the younger childer was also normal in Britain.
    And probably around the rest of the world as well, I don't know exactly how widespread. How is this relevant?

So what's the basis for your objection to allowing this traditional mode of dress for boys?

Ebenezer Scrooge wore a night dress to bed, but he was not a transvestite, nor was he in any way confused about his own gender.
    A nightie was unisex garment back then, just as a track suit is now.
    Context is important.

• Advertisement

Ebenezer Scrooge wore a night dress to bed, but he was not a transvestite, nor was he in any way confused about his own gender.
    A nightie was unisex garment back then, just as a track suit is now.
    Context is important.

So you're saying that clothing gender norms change over time?

They do. But there are always some garments that are considered to be unisex, and some that are strongly associated with a particular gender.

If a school goes even further, and has assigned a designated uniform to one gender, and a different uniform to the other gender, then its very plain that boys are supposed to wear one and girls wear the other.

If the school wishes to introduce a unisex uniform policy, comprising some unisex garment, I have no issue with that. That would be a gender neutral policy. Or they could drop the uniform altogether.

But as soon as you invite boys to wear the girls uniform you are going down the road of weirdness. No doubt the transvestites, transgenderists and miscellaneous other fetishists among us will applaud the move, but those of us with more sense will not.

They do. But there are always some garments that are considered to be unisex, and some that are strongly associated with a particular gender.

If a school goes even further, and has assigned a designated uniform to one gender, and a different uniform to the other gender, then its very plain that boys are supposed to wear one and girls wear the other.

If the school wishes to introduce a unisex uniform policy, comprising some unisex garment, I have no issue with that. That would be a gender neutral policy. Or they could drop the uniform altogether.

But as soon as you invite boys to wear the girls uniform you are going down the road of weirdness. No doubt the transvestites, transgenderists and miscellaneous other fetishists among us will applaud the move, but those of us with more sense will not.
    I'd guess that small-minded people thought it was 'weird' when boys started wearing trousers.

But regardless, I'm still unclear as to what particular problem it causes for you if a school allows boys to wear skirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I'd guess that small-minded people thought it was 'weird' when boys started wearing trousers.

But regardless, I'm still unclear as to what particular problem it causes for you if a school allows boys to wear skirts?

I would also like to know why this is a conspiracy theory?

Is it a sinister leftist plot to make students think that non-binary people arent weird?

King Mob wrote: »
    I would also like to know why this is a conspiracy theory?
    Apparently its one of Gemma's "unicorns".

• Advertisement

Apparently its one of Gemma's "unicorns".
    So just fantasy to drive youtube views...
    Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So just fantasy to drive youtube views...
    Gotcha.

It certainly appeals to a certain demographic.

So just fantasy
    Except its not.
    It certainly appeals to a certain demographic.
    What demographic would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Except its not.

What demographic would that be?

The racist fùckwit demographic?

I doubt that counts as an official demographic in any statistical analysis.
    Even if it did, how much correlation would there be between racist fùckwits and parents who don't encourage their son to wear a girls uniform to their local school?

Even if it did, how much correlation would there be between racist fùckwits and parents who don't encourage their son to wear a girls uniform to their local school?
    Do you need someone to explain the difference between 'allowing' and 'encouraging' for you?

But either way, what impact does it have on you if parents do allow, or even encourage, their son to wear a skirt to school?

Except its not.
    Ok, so in what way is it a conspiracy theory?
    In what way is it a problem?
    In what way does it effect you?

So far as I can tell, the answers are "it's not" and "it doesn't".

It'll do for me in real world situations ;)

As others have asked, how does this impact on your life? Why does it matter to you or bother you what people choose to wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Gemma represents a different outlook, whats with all the bashing ... bit ott

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Gemma represents a different outlook, whats with all the bashing ... bit ott

So what's your view on chemtrails?

• Advertisement

i'd say there is quite a strong correlation between racist fùckwits and those who do not want any boys to be allowed to wear skirts.

So what's your view on chemtrails?

Or on the thought that school shootings in the US are faked to the point thwy are hiring actors to portray grieving parents?

In the name of Allah, most compassionate and ever merciful, O mankind eat the Lawful and good things out of what is in the earth, like Brennans bread.

Gemma informs us Brennans Bread is Lawful, and officially Halal.

I see Al Quadri of the Blanchardstown mosque is on the act there, issuing the certs, which are only valid for one year at a time. Could be a nice little earner if enough food producers want to wave these holy texts at their customers.
    And of course, they would not be bothered doing it if they didn't see one particular demographic growing faster than any other.

Gotta keep up with the customer base, no matter who they are.

In the name of Allah, most compassionate and ever merciful, O mankind eat the Lawful and good things out of what is in the earth, like Brennans bread.

Gemma informs us that Brennans Bread is Lawful and officially Halal.

I see Al Quadri of the Blanchardstown mosque is on the act there, issuing the certs, which are only valid for one year at a time. Could be a nice little earner if enough food producers want to wave these holy texts at their customers.
    And of course, they would not be bothered doing it if they didn't see one particular demographic growing faster than any other.

Oh ffs are we back on the halal shìte again?

Is there much animal slaughter involved in making bread? Asking for a friend.

Oh ffs are we back on the halal shìte again?
    Officially certified halal shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Apart from Keema Nan bread, I doubt it

Again, confused as to what the conspiracy or problem is here...

Officially certified halal shìte.

Who gives a shìte? Seriously do you check every label to see if anything you buy is halal?

• Advertisement

IMO the issue is more that Irish companies now feel some kind of market pressure to fund Islamic certification programs.
    Food companies such as Glanbia, Avonmore and Brennans are going to use a certain amount of meat and/or dairy products as ingredients.

Some folks like the chain of supply to be certified organic, some like it fair trade, and some like it Halal. The market decides which is best.

Advertisement