Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's been said that HBO were open to full 10 episode seasons 8 and 9 to wrap it up but the showrunners have signed on to do a trilogy of Star Wars movies. They wanted to get this done as quick as possible and move on to that. The whole "We had a 73 hour story planned for years" is utter nonsense.
    they knew they were doing star wars in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

As a stand alone episode, it was enjoyable enough.

As an ending to a series that I have loved for years - pathetic.

It wasn't what the writers did but how they did it. Everything was rushed. They went for style over substance with some of the battles and set pieces. Interestingly, I think it started going downhill when Littlefinger was killed. He was a great character and was central to a lot of the scheming and politicing which made GoT great.

Overall I am quite disappointed in the final series. I can suspend disbelief with the best of 'em, but where did those Dothraki and Unsullied come from?! They were chillin' out during the Battle of Winterfell?! The sudden death of Dani was also very unsatisfying. It wasn't surprising, just unfulfilling. I felt that way about the Lannister's undoing too.

Overall, I'm sadly disappointed.

Jon gets brownie points for petting Ghost though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Overall I’m happy enough with that ending I knew it was always gonna be a wrap up episode ending

The drogon scene was stunning though I just wished we could have got one more scene showing where he was flying off too

Maybe we could get a return season in about 10 years time like Tyrion said lol

Jon snow finds something else beyond the wall after years of peace
    Bran is not all he seems in kings landing
    Dany has been resurrected and comes back to Westeros with drogon pissed looking for Jon snow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Just watched it...all things considered and how the last few seasons have gone I actually thought that was pretty good. I wasn't sure when they made Bran king initially but I don't know now, I don't hate the idea anyway, seems like as good a choice as any of those present. The last two episodes saved the season for me from being a total shi*show, still glad it's over though, even though it was rushed I think GOT has run it's course.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well we see plenty of nepotism and cronyism in Ireland when it comes to getting positions of power in companies and government that they have zero experience in - so why is it so unbelievable Bronn gets a "job for the boys"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's been said that HBO were open to full 10 episode seasons 8 and 9 to wrap it up but the showrunners have signed on to do a trilogy of Star Wars movies. They wanted to get this done as quick as possible and move on to that. The whole "We had a 73 hour story planned for years" is utter nonsense.

I don't see how people can claim Star Wars has much to do with it.

They made a mess with planning the story over the last two seasons, leaving the need to close out 2 key storylines with 2 huge set pieces over 6 episodes. For some reason they fell in love with that utterly pointless quest beyond the wall to prove the threat to Cersei which took up so much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This shot was amazing...

qml14o2op9z21.png

I honestly burst my hole laughing

After that ... most of the rest of the episode I was just smirking away

I did try to get into the deep feels they were going for towards the end but ah I dunno. It just didn't work.

The closest was remembering Ygritte at the end but I get the feeling that was more sentimental feelings towards the earlier seasons.

This is far from the worst ending of a TV show though and it did feel like they tried to pull something together for ..many.. of the fans.

I got a weary feeling of Sequel setup-ness going on and couldn't get a sense of a bigger-than-caprica feel to them. Ya never know though. There might be a surprise.

If nothing comes of it, then maybe a reboot or down-the-road sequel might come along.
    The Game of Thrones finale, like much of the final season, was very Lord of the Rings. It wraps things up tidily and predictably. Every character gets their moment of triumph or release - even Jon, who suffers most out of the survivors, seems to find peace despite exile and loss of his one true love. Evil was conquered (any ambiguity about Dany swiftly extinguished in her delusional final speeches, and, y'know, the genocide) and the good guys prevail.

LOL, totally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Actually, I take it all back, the clue was there all along. The ending was spot on.

I've only just realised that "Game of Thrones" is an anagram of "Honest Fromage". Explains all the cheesiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

When Melisandre was saying that to Ayra , it was no relation to any prophecy at all. She was just listing eye colors of people she would kill. Absolutely no relation to Cersei or White Walkers at all.

I enjoyed the last episode, thought it was quite a fitting ending.

It was heavily implied that she knew Arya was going to kill the Night King. The actress even accentuated the "blue eyes" part of her speech when they were in Winterfell for that purpose.
    As a stand alone episode, it was enjoyable enough.

As an ending to a series that I have loved for years - pathetic.

It wasn't what the writers did but how they did it. Everything was rushed. They went for style over substance with some of the battles and set pieces. Interestingly, I think it started going downhill when Littlefinger was killed. He was a great character and was central to a lot of the scheming and politicing which made GoT great.

This to me was the turning point aswell. They had to kill him off because as a character he was simply too complicated to write a plotline for. So they took the easy way out and killed him off. Even the manner in which they did it was eye rollingly bad. When Sansa said "how do you answer for these crimes you are accused off?" pause for effect, turns to Littlefinger "Lord Baelish" I cringed a little bit. It felt so contrived.

Also, why did Bran ask about the master of whisperers at the small council meeting? He doesn't need one and he should know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't read all these pages but can someone tell me - who rebuilt the wall so quick? Or did it just not pan to the part that was destroyed by the zombie dragon?
    Why was Dany allowed wander around on her own where the Iron Throne was? There could have been people hiding anywhere who wanted to kill her. No guards to search Jon?

Plus it just wouldn't. f*cking. end. I was hoping for someone to just get decapitated unexpectedly and then it's over but by the time the credits rolled I was surprised we didn't see a few weddings.

Dany dying was a good shock, but the rest of the episode was awful and nothing like the GOT I liked.

• Advertisement

Also I hadn't seen anything as cheesy as the dragon wings behind Dany since the CAN YOU SEE WHAT WE'RE DOING HERE scene in Gravity where Bullock floats around like an embryo for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I really didn't like the jump from when Daenaerys was killed to the part when Brann was declared king. Felt like there was a huge amount left out.

Why the **** didn't Greyworm kill Jon? Made no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Why was Dany allowed wander around on her own where the Iron Throne was? There could have been people hiding anywhere who wanted to kill her. No guards to search Jon?

Drogon was guarding her, he just happened to trust Jon. Anyone else would be stopped or burned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Was Dany meant to a metaphor for Iran?

strandroad wrote: »
    Drogon was guarding her, he just happened to trust Jon. Anyone else would be stopped or burned.

But it looked like there were 100 different ways into the destroyed building behind where the throne was and in that room!

Anyway it's over now we can all just watch Chernobyl which is the best thing I've seen in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I can't read all these pages but can someone tell me - who rebuilt the wall so quick? Or did it just not pan to the part that was destroyed by the zombie dragon?

A wizard did it.

That covers this entire season.

siblers wrote: »
    I really didn't like the jump from when Daenaerys was killed to the part when Brann was declared king. Felt like there was a huge amount left out.

How did anyone know Jon stabbed her in the heart? Drogon flew off with her body.

Actually, wait, knowing Jon he probably just told them himself.

The Wall is very long, spanning the whole continent. Jon went to Castle Black, whereas the Night King took down the Wall by East Watch by the sea. They wouldn't be close to the same camera shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why is there still a need for the Night's Watch though? The Wildings are all allies of the North now and those that weren't were cleared out by the White Walkers.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The Wall is very long, spanning the whole continent. Jon went to Castle Black, whereas the Night King took down the Wall by East Watch by the sea. They wouldn't be close to the same camera shot.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Still though, neeeeerd!!
    Says the man trying to pick out plot holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

siblers wrote: »

You get the impression that a few seasons ago, when developing a script, there was a lot of time put into making sure that stories and characters were developed in such a way that they made sense to the viewer. The books helped obviously, but even after that, there was more depth.

Whereas now, there seems to be a sense of 'just move on to the next scene', 'just cut away from it', 'just skip forward a week or two' and not even try to justify things.

On these threads on boards, I've seen alternate versions that I genuinely think were better ways to develop a plot line and so on, and that shouldn't be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why is there still a need for the Night's Watch though? The Wildings are all allies of the North now and those that weren't were cleared out by the White Walkers.

An obvious question but I think it's entirely symbolic. It always was; the Wildings were never a major threat in earlier seasons, and the NK was never more than a folk tale either.

The wildlings were allies of the North in a desperate time, but I would say the finale suggests that they remain outsiders, which ties neatly into Jon's somewhat happy ending.

Cynical part of me has to wonder if the whole "pet ghost" aspect wasn't added in last minute in reaction to fierce backlash over the ridiculous "we couldn't afford to have Jon pet Ghost given the enormous resources needed to make convincing dragons".

Come to think of it, Inspector Grey Worm is pretty insightful.

"So, she went to the throne room on her own. Nobody else saw her there, although Jon Snow was seen heading that way.
    The throne was found melted into slag, and the dragon was missing, as was her body.
    Yep, clearly Jon Snow must have stabbed her through the heart"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

The wildlings are nearly all dead. What's left of them gathered to Mance, who got them most killed attacking the wall.
    The rest retreated to Hardhome, and were killed by the NK.
    MOH wrote: »
    Come to think of it, Inspector Grey Worm is pretty insightful.

"So, she went to the throne room on her own. Nobody else saw her there, although Jon Snow was seen heading that way.
    The throne was found melted into slag, and the dragon was missing, as was her body.
    Yep, clearly Jon Snow must have stabbed her through the heart"

I wondered about that. He could have just wandered away. Give the bloody snow a bit of a kick to cover his tracks.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Still though, neeeeerd!!
    Says the man trying to pick out plot holes...

On your other one, you have to presume they've swept the place for enemies before she went in and posted guards at other doors, with a lot of damage being at levels they'd need to climb up the side of the keep to get into.

Dany's security do seem to be quiet weak at their jobs, at the start of season 7 it looked like they just let her lead the way into Dragonstone without doing any check about who was inside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

It bowed out with a whimper like many other pathetic endings, it can now challenge dexter and lost for worst ending ever ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Id say John confessed, probably expecting to be executed immediately.

As to why Greyworm let him live, the unsullied are supposed to be emotionless and disciplined. With Dany dead, Greyworm may have simply seen the bigger picture. Just about believable imo, but a development that could and shouldve been given more time, like so much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

An obvious question but I think it's entirely symbolic. It always was; the Wildings were never a major threat in earlier seasons, and the NK was never more than a folk tale either.

The wildlings were allies of the North in a desperate time, but I would say the finale suggests that they remain outsiders, which ties neatly into Jon's somewhat happy ending.

Can't remember his actual name now but the bear fùcker often said he wasn't happy that side of the wall and it was inevitable they would go back

From the beginning the Wildings were never a threat, that was drummed up by Stannis Baratheon so he would have an excuse to execute a king - they were more than happy to stay the North side of the wall but for the NK and all that entailed

• Advertisement

They never really wanted to come south aside from safety, I think it is understandable that the ones left wanted to go home.
    Cynical part of me has to wonder if the whole "pet ghost" aspect wasn't added in last minute in reaction to fierce backlash over the ridiculous "we couldn't afford to have Jon pet Ghost given the enormous resources needed to make convincing dragons".

No way that was added in the last two weeks. They were lying or telling half truths about why he didnt pet him good bye.

If you want to be cynical, I'd say it is much more likely they purposefully didn't have him give him a proper goodbye knowing the fans would lose their mind about it which would make the payoff in the finale much sweeter (which is exactly how it ended up)

Advertisement