Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kevin Hynes was on his way back down, and died in his tent at 7000m, nearly 2000 metres below the summit.

It shows that you are still in danger even once you've achieved your aim.

I read he scaled Everest last May already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

NIMAN wrote: »
    Kevin Hynes was on his way back down, and died in his tent at 7000m, nearly 2000 metres below the summit.

Christ on a bike, successfully doing it once and getting home to his family in one piece wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I see the search for Seamus Lawless has been called off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Altitude sickness kills many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Shemale wrote: »
    Christ on a bike, successfully doing it once and getting home to his family in one piece wasn't enough.

Those who climb everest do not really tend to think in terms of getting back home safely to their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

looks like he didn't go to the top this time and turned around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

skallywag wrote: »
    Those who climb everest do not really tend to think in terms of getting back home safely to their families.

They really should, why have a family if you have no regard for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

As I stated yesterday, the search for Seamus was to finish today.

GoFundMe has also been updated to what I also stated yesterday.

As the OP who started this thread, it would have been preferable to finish with an update re. a positive outcome. Unfortunately that is not the case, especially with the death of another Irish climber today.

Thanks all for a mostly insightful and productive discussion.

Edit: I second Nimans suggestion to close

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would be a good time to close it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

As the OP who started this thread, it would have been preferable to finish with an update re. a positive outcome. Unfortunately that is not the case, especially with the death of another Irish climber today.

Getting the recovery team back alive was the best outcome possible and that was a success.
    I see the gofundme is still receiving donations.

I agree, It may be best to close the thread here, a new one could be opened on the topic of mountaineering.

• Advertisement

It was always going to happen.
    Another death this morning.
    Will there be any gofundme support setup for this man I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

It was always going to happen.
    Another death this morning.
    Will there be any gofundme support setup for this man I wonder?
    I think they know the location for this person so I doubt it. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mike_ie wrote: »
    That would only put it even further out of reach of genuine climbers, and firmly within the realm of the millionaire class.

Also, if pressure already exists to get climbers who have paid $50,000 to the summit, imagine the direction that's going to go in if climbers customers have paid a quarter million?

Would a permit lottery be a good solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

This thread should be closed in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

magentis wrote: »
    This thread should be closed in fairness.

Why. The disrespectful poster has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

kowloon wrote: »
    That would only put it even further out of reach of genuine climbers, and firmly within the realm of the millionaire class.

Also, if pressure already exists to get climbers who have paid $50,000 to the summit, imagine the direction that's going to go in if climbers customers have paid a quarter million?

I already quoted this re the lottery as per tweet from Ben Fogle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I must say I've become a little obsessed with Everest this week , I've read and watched so much about it.
    It's not something I'd do myself but I can see the attraction in putting your body and mind to the ultimate test.

I summited Galtee mor which is 8000 meters lower than Everest, with plenty oxygen and warmth and my God twas tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

Would be a good time to close it?

Close what, the Go Fund me page ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I must say I've become a little obsessed with Everest this week , I've read and watched so much about it.
    It's not something I'd do myself but I can see the attraction in putting your body and mind to the ultimate test.

I summited Galtee mor which is 8000 meters lower than Everest, with plenty oxygen and warmth and my God twas tough going.

Loads of ways to test yourself. Dicing with death, which isn't really testing yourself, rather spinning the wheel to see if your number is up, is no test. It's just dumb. People are free to be dumb if the wish. But that doesn't mean it's not dumb either.

Galtymore is a great hike and I'd encourage anyone to take a hike up the nearest mountain to them while the weather is good.
    Even if you have a low level of fitness the days are long right now, set out early and take your time and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I found Croagh Patrick tough-going! :D In my defence, I was only nine months out from a serious operation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

You mean put the sherpa's body and mind to the ultimate test while they set up all the ladders, ropes and gear, pitch the tents, cook and carry everything for you, and then they risk their lives again trying to drag your ass up and down, while you generally get in their way, slow them down, destroy their countryside and generally exploit them as much as possible. I'd say they despise all you bored spoiled polluting egocentric wealthy westerners, but have no choice to earn a living any other way.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

kowloon wrote: »

I don't think so. It's too arbitrary, still rules out genuine climbers to a large degree, and I can see it being open to abuse - imagine a scenario where people who win the lottery 'sell' their slot to the highest bidder for example. And how would you cater to climbing teams?

My thoughts on this were earlier in the thread:
    None. Traditionally that was dictated by common sense - one didn't tackle big mountains without gaining experience on lett difficult mountains. However, Everest is one of the few mountains I know of where there are commercial climbing expeditions, there have been cases (and I have seen a few firsthand on Everest) where there have been climbers who have had no experience but are going through a midlife crisis, and have a chequebook big enough to help them get through it.

As to what the solution is, I don't know. I was actually discussing this last week with a group of climbers - the conclusion we came to was something akin to diving, where you have to log your climbs in the same way you log dives, and can't progress to more difficult or higher climbs unless you have logged a certain number of hours at lower levels. But that comes with its own set of issues.

I watched two great climbing documentaries earlier this week, Free Solo and The Dawn Wall, both set on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley, California. Have to say, after watching them as well as seeing the photos in this thread of the long queues at Everest's Summit, Everest has lost some of its wonder for me this week.

I'm not a technical climber, I walk up hills and small mountains as far as my legs and sense will take me. However, when I go walking be it alone or with someone, I seek the most remote and tranquil experience possible. That's part of the hook for me.

If I actually managed to reach the top of Everest to be met with anything resembling a large group of people let alone a long queue, I'd cry.

I'm not a technical climber, I walk up hills and small mountains as far as my legs and sense will take me. However, when I go walking be it alone or with someone, I seek the most remote and tranquil experience possible. That's part of the hook for me.

If I actually managed to reach the top of Everest to be met with anything resembling a large group of people let alone a long queue, I'd cry.

It's the same for me, I tend to avoid Carrauntoohill when I know it will be busy and pick one of the many other hikes in the area.
    If I had the money to go to the himalayas Everest would hold very little interest for me after seeing some of the crowded photos.

It would be cheaper to put a plastic bag over your head and try to climb Carrauntoohil. Just put a tiny pinhole in the plastic bag so it's very hard to breath but not impossible. You could do it on a cold day without any clothes.

If you experimented with the size of the pinhole you could probably have it so a similar percentage of people died as Everest. Just to make it authentic. But it would be a lot easier to recover the bodies. And you could just rip the plastic bag off if you chickened out.

Just skip the Carrauntoohil bit and the plastic bag will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Am I still banned for calling the disrespectful poster an a..... e and trying to defend Seamus Lawless?

Nobelium wrote: »
    Just skip the Carrauntoohil bit and the plastic bag will do.

VR headsets should include a plastic bag.

tuxy wrote: »
    As I've said before a big part of the attraction for some people is the danger.

So is standing in the middle of the m50 . . it would save the half wits a fortune.

• Advertisement

Here's the update;

We, the Lawless family would like to extend their gratitude for the huge outpouring of support we have received since Shay went missing on Mount Everest last week and to all who donated towards the search operation. In just six days, over €267,000 was donated by more than 7,300 people. Your generosity has been overwhelming and your messages of support mean so much to us. The GoFundMe campaign was instrumental in helping us fund an experienced search team for Shay. Unfortunately it was not successful. While the experienced search team has made every effort to locate Shay, the extremes of operating at high altitude and the sheer range of the search area ultimately proved too difficult and based on expert advice we have decided to call off the search rather than risk endangering anyone's life in the treacherous conditions.

This search operation will be paid for out of this fund and the final cost is still not clear. When it is, it is our wish that any amount above the cost of the search will be accordingly refunded to donors and we will work with the GoFundMe team on that. Although the search mission was unsuccessful we will never forget the kindness and generosity of people in Ireland and around the world who were moved by this tragedy and who came together to try and help us. In particular we’d like to extend our appreciation to the search team led by Noel Hanna, the Sherpas, and to the Ireland on Everest team, Shay’s climbing partners, for doing everything in their power to find Shay for us. The backing we have received from the Irish Government, Barretstown Children’s Charity, Trinity College Dublin and the ADAPT Centre has been tremendous and is a small indication of Shay’s legacy. Thank you.

And yet the Galway man's family probably won't see a bean

Advertisement