Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

rdwight wrote: »
    Update on gofundme about end of search and plan to attempt refunds was 3 hours ago.

Donations are still steadily ticking along since then.

Go figure.

Yes, it is possible for them to end the campaign and not accept new donations. They need to do that.
    Although they've said they've no idea about the cost of the rescue attempt yet, judging by past attempts, it's not going to be close to the amount currently raised.
    It's a bit eyebrow raising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They stopped taking donations about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You should have a watch of the Chinese summit video if you think it's not climbing. you havent a clue what you ate talking about.

Just because it's not as technically dificult as k2 or annapurna doesn't mean it's easy. Of course it's climbing and incredibly difficult. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

It's like saying an ultra marathon is easy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

gman2k wrote: »
    You obviously know nothing about climbing so.
    The 53 ascent by Hilary/ Tenzing was a siege of the mountain, using O2 of course, with many camps on the mountain stocked by many climbers. The 53 base camp was actually in Gorak Shep, not at the base of the Icefall like it was today.
    Modern climbers still have to lug themselves up, they are not dragged up

While I agree with most of what you say, Hillary/Tenzing had to lay their own ropes, carry their own equipment for the final push and negotiate the final "step" . They also had relatively primative equipment and were pioneers who didn't know how the climb might affect them. Their achievement stands head and shoulders above other climbers who followed. Since the collapse of the step, the main challenge seems to be dealing with AS or similar. Its a difficult climb mentally and physically but not a technical climb which demands much skill. People are summitting these days with little experience and its only AS or a slip that's catching them out. There are shorter far more technical climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

tuxy wrote: »
    They stopped taking donations about an hour ago.
    I'm sure someone in this thread will find something to criticise about that soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

While I agree with most of what you say, Hillary/Tenzing had to lay their own ropes, carry their own equipment for the final push and negotiate the final "step" . They also had relatively primative equipment and were pioneers who didn't know how the climb might affect them. Their achievement stands head and shoulders above other climbers who followed. Since the collapse of the step, the main challenge seems to be dealing with AS or similar. Its a difficult climb mentally and physically but not a technical climb which demands much skill. People are summitting these days with little experience and its only AS or a slip that's catching them out. There are shorter far more technical climbs.

There are more technical climbs on rockfaces in County Dublin.
    But when you are at 8km + up in the sky with a fraction of the air pressure at sea level, haven't slept in days, haven't eaten in days, with wind speeds often over 150kmph, baking hot temps in the Western Cym during the day and serious negative temps at night, exposure of thousands of meters then Everest is a different animal.
    The Hilary step was never a big problem, not even for the first two men to reach it, and certainly not today. Incidentally, I spoken to climbers who have been up there before and after the earthquake, and there is still debate whether the step has been affected.
    Tenzing had been to the 8600m the previous year with the Swiss team, so it's not fair to lay all the pioneering credit on the 53 British expedition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

bobbyg wrote: »
    I'm sure someone in this thread will find something to criticise about that soon enough.

why was the target set at 750k ? and is any going to the Galway man's family costs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

We've had hundreds of posts about Shay, but very few about Kevin. And no talk of a GoFundMe there. Is it because we are immune to it now, or that what needed to be said has been said? Or is there a difference between the two incidences? Kevin's body on the North approach is more acceptable?

Nobelium wrote: »
    why was the target set at 750k ? and is any going to the Galway man's family costs ?

Why would funds from a Go Fund Me page specifically set up by colleagues of Seamus Lawless in the hope of having him returned to his family suddenly be diverted to search for someone else ? Especially when the search for Seamus Lawless has been abandoned ?

I’m sure a lot of the donations came from the family, friends and sponsors of Seamus Lawless (of which I’m none, nor did I donate ).

The question of why the amount was set at 750K has already been answered on this thread dozens of times .

It was set to €750k because that is the maximum limit allowed by gofundme.
    Why would funds from a Go Fund Me page specifically set up by colleagues of Seamus Lawless in the hope of having him returned to his family suddenly be diverted to search for someone else ?
    I don't think anyone mentioned a search, the other Irish man was found in his tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Nobelium wrote: »

There was no target that was an upper limit with GFM apparently, the family wanted to raise as much as possible to find him. As far as I know the Galway man wasn't missing so maybe there was no need to raise funds to find him. We seem to be going round in circles here.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

Anyone else annoyed that Hillary's step is called that? If it's still there after the earthquake I think it should be renamed after Norgay Tenzing or both of their names should be used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But when you are at 8km + up in the sky with a fraction of the air pressure at sea level, haven't slept in days, haven't eaten in days, with wind speeds often over 150kmph, baking hot temps in the Western Cym during the day and serious negative temps at night, exposure of thousands of meters then Everest is a different animal.
    The Hilary step was never a big problem, not even for the first two men to reach it, and certainly not today. Incidentally, I spoken to climbers who have been up there before and after the earthquake, and there is still debate whether the step has been affected.
    Tenzing had been to the 8600m the previous year with the Swiss team, so it's not fair to lay all the pioneering credit on the 53 British expedition.

It’s just an experiment in acclimatisation, seems to me.

“A Study Of The Effects On A Large Sample Size Of Homo Sapiens At High Altitude”

Seems to have the square root of fück all to do with climbing prowess. Lawless climbed Denali which I understand to be more difficult than Everest. Many dilettantes probably succeeded where he didn’t.

It was set to €750k because that is the maximum limit allowed by gofundme.

I don't think anyone mentioned a search, the other Irish man was found in his tent.
    Why would funds from a Go Fund Me page specifically set up by colleagues of Seamus Lawless in the hope of having him returned to his family suddenly be diverted to search for someone else ? Especially when the search for Seamus Lawless has been abandoned ?

I’m sure a lot of the donations came from the family, friends and sponsors of Seamus Lawless (of which I’m none, nor did I donate ).

The question of why the amount was set at 750K has already been answered on this thread dozens of times .
    There was no target that was an upper limit with GFM apparently, the family wanted to raise as much as possible to find him. As far as I know the Galway man wasn't missing so maybe there was no need to raise funds to find him. We seem to be going round in circles here.

And yet RTE reported many times the family's target was 750k

Now it's closed as soon as another Irish Cilmber perishes ?

Anyone else annoyed that Hillary's step is called that? If it's still there after the earthquake I think it should be renamed after Norgay Tenzing or both of their names should be used!

Not really, I believe Hillary initially would not say which of them made the summit until Tenzing told people it was Hillary who got there first.
    Not sure if that's true but if it is it sounds like Tenzing was very humble and probably wouldn't want something named after him.

Now as for the mountain being called after a British Surveyor.......

Not really, I believe Hillary initially would not say which of them made the summit until Tenzing told people it was Hillary who got their first.
    Not sure if that's true but if it is it sounds like Tenzing was very humble and probably wouldn't want something named after him.

Now as for the mountain being called after a British Surveyor.......

I consider them to be joint first summiteers. They needed each other to do it and it was merely a technicality that one of them had to put their foot on the summit first. The achievement elevated Norgay’s life and those of his family immeasurably but he did not get as high of honours as Hillary. Not that I care that much about the British Honours System but if Hillary was knighted, Norgay should also have been.

Anyone else annoyed that Hillary's step is called that?

not really, it's ok to be white, and it's not as if it's some important title

Tenzing Step has a lovely ring to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ben Fogle's lottery system suggestion seems like a great idea.

I mean, there is a lottery to be one of the few people to get inside Newgrange for the Solstice. And there's no chance of death doing that. Surely the summit of Everest is just as spiritual and awe-inspiring? Well it would be if it wasn't over-run with tourists in its current state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

No. No one else is annoyed except for a small group who would probably never be happy until it was called the "transgender, multi-cultural, all-inclusive step".

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

And yet it has been climbed by over 4000 people, by people in their 70s and 80s and children as young as 13 and all manner of people in between from experienced climbers to people with next to no experience. With all the donkey work done by guides and porters, much of the difficulty and hazards have been removed. Now its a case of how well you cope with altitude. You can't tell me everyone in that long queue to summit is some kind of superhuman athlete? Most seem normal Joe Soaps. If anything its the superhuman mountaineers who seem susceptible to death or accidents. Many of the fatalities are experienced climbers, while Johnny or Mary with little experience seem to get up and down with no trouble, probably because they are getting an awful lot of help from guides.
    I'm afraid the mystique of summitting Everest ia long gone. Now its just another tourist trap box ticking activity.

Ben Fogle's lottery system suggestion seems like a great idea.

I mean, there is a lottery to be one of the few people to get inside Newgrange for the Solstice. And there's no chance of death doing that. Surely the summit of Everest is just as spiritual and awe-inspiring? Well it would be if it wasn't over-run with tourists in its current state.

Newgrange. Everest. Newgrange. Everest. Newest. Evergrange. O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

An appeal to Mods. Please close this thread as a humane observance to the families of those lost.

That is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever heard someone be annoyed at.

mattser wrote: »
    An appeal to Mods. Please close this thread as a humane observance to the families of those lost.

Is the 2019 season officially over?

That is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever heard someone be annoyed at.

you better get used to it in the "new" ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

mattser wrote: »

Why should it be closed? it gives a great insight into what climbing Everest has now become.

My sympathies go to the families that have lost people in the last week but it doesn't imo trump the debate on standards required to attempt the climb and the risks rich thrill seekers put themselves and their guides through to achieve their aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's called the Hillary step because Hillary was the first to overcome it. Tenzing didn't have the technical ability to negotiate it, so Edmund used his alpine skills to get up and winched his partner up.

In fact, the whole controversy as to whether Hillary or Tenzing summited first was concocted and ran with by the newly independent India as a propaganda exercise (Tenzing was a Tibetan born in Nepal, but raised in India).

There never was a plan to recover the body from the mountain. Or am I misunderstanding?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-dad-kevin-hynes-dies-16195414
    Pat Falvey wrote:
    The family have confirmed to me that if his body is found he will be buried on the mountain

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    It's called the Hillary step because Hillary was the first to overcome it. Tenzing didn't have the technical ability to negotiate it, so Edmund used his alpine skills to get up and winched his partner up.

In fact, the whole controversy as to whether Hillary or Tenzing summited first was concocted and ran with by the newly independent India as a propaganda exercise (Tenzing was a Tibetan born in Nepal, but raised in India).

Tanx luv for da info! Interesting.

I’m sure they each had strengths that combined to get them up the mountain though. The Hillary Step is just one part. You need to get to that point first. I’m sure there's some part of the mountain that could be named for Norgay. Maybe there is already!

As for Indian propaganda - I dunno, I think it’s something many a person would wonder about themselves anyway. I know I did when all the information I had was who was No.1 and who was No.2.

Advertisement