Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

jasper100 wrote: »
    bellend
    Bellends
    bellend
    bellends
    bellends
    bellends

Mod: Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

pc7 wrote: »

It is quite amazing. I found it quite invigorating watching it, until the final summit push, that just seemed so terrifying.
    The traffic jams are crazy.
    So, is the North side more difficult to climb than the south?
    Thinking of how people attempted to climb this mountain, like George Mallory back in the 1920s, in his tweed suit and "primitive" tools. I don't suppose there were ropes set up for them either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

News isn't good I'm afraid. If he's in the crevasse, its curtains. Like others I hope no-one's life is risked in a recovery attempt.

These Sherpas have families too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

News isn't good I'm afraid. If he's in the crevasse, its curtains. Like others I hope no-one's life is risked in a recovery attempt.

On the contrary, I think this is relatively good news.
    If the body is in an inaccessible place, hopefully lives won't be put at risk to recover the body.

Hopefully the large budget from the GFM campaign won't be used to tempt people into taking huge risks for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭styo

They plan to fly a drone later today or tomorrow, winds permitting I suspect.

Drones can be flown at these heights:

https://www.newsweek.com/drone-finds-dead-mountain-climber-one-worlds-highest-peaks-1034090

But I suspect that in the conditions that prevail at the location, it will not be possible to descend a drone into the crevasse into which it is suspected that he fell. I would suggest that the attempt to find him with a drone is most likely an attempt to rule out the possibility that he did not fall into the crevasse, and was instead simply missed by the rescue team on the slopes. In an environment in which even experienced climbers are left exhausted by taking 3 or 4 steps, that must be a possibility.

• Advertisement

Just saw on BBC that it's now seven climbers dead in the space of a week. What a mess.

If there are windy or blizzard conditions its likely his body is well covered by snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭styo

If there are windy or blizzard conditions its likely his body is well covered by snow now.

That they found a crampon would suggest that there is some hope of surveying the area with a degree of certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

After reading here and watching a few videos I can see why mountain climbers (who have a gra for the sport) would want to climb it. As opposed to climbing tourists.

I can see how those with a gra for it and have experience would be completely put off by the queues of tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

It was curtains long ago. Honestly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/23/congestion-mount-everest-backlog-climbers-death-zone

In the context of climbers losing their lives, the photo is quite disturbing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrHE35DL2Lo

Another good watch, 'Miracle on Everest'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/23/congestion-mount-everest-backlog-climbers-death-zone

In the context of climbers losing their lives, the photo is quite disturbing.

That photo has been linked to about 5 times since yesterday.
    Those reading the thread have seen it many times (I keep clicking the links expecting something new)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That photo has been linked to about 5 times since yesterday.
    Those reading the thread have seen it many times (I keep clicking the links expecting something new)

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

maxsmum wrote: »
    One of the documentaries mentioned anyone over 50 has physiologically double the risk of dying. So while I'm impressed at their efforts, I wouldn't say I respect them.
    At least they've lived a longer life and probably don't have dependants anymore.

I don't know if that necessarily true the man leading the search for the body in this case is 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrHE35DL2Lo

Another good watch, 'Miracle on Everest'

Couldn't watch it past 15mins (ish) that clown had no business up there.

If he thinks he climbed it, he's deluded/lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

vargoo wrote: »

But what about the massive wealth of experience he had?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Effects wrote: »
    But what about the massive wealth of experience he had?

Te chap with the biggest bone to pick about that has been thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

vargoo wrote: »

Clown? he was a professional climber? I would have thought that's exactly where he should be

fits wrote: »
    It was curtains long ago. Honestly

Curtains in the context of recovery of his body. I've said for days its curtains regards finding him alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Gosh. Dunno what to say to that. It’s very sad. He didn’t get to the summit either ( 8300 is high enough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This must be the worst year since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This must be the worst year since 2006.

still some way to go before they reach the total for 2015 after the avalance. 19 dead that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fits wrote: »
    Gosh. Dunno what to say to that. It’s very sad. He didn’t get to the summit either ( 8300 is high enough!)

He reached it last year from the south side. He was attempting it from the north side this year.

https://irishsevensummits.com/everest-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

styo wrote: »
    That they found a crampon would suggest that there is some hope of surveying the area with a degree of certainty.

I'm wondering why his crampon was off him, they are pretty strong pieces of equipment and if fitted right to your boots they shouldnt come off. Theres a chance he was going through hypoxia when the brain is shutting down and tricks you into doing things you would never otherwise do. Lots of climbers who die have been found semi naked as the brain tricks them into believing that they are overheating when really they're suffering from extreme hypothermia. Seamus taking his crampon off might have been a part of this.

Holy fcuk, another two kids left behind :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I winder are the queues now causing people to be up there too long and are dieing .?

still some way to go before they reach the total for 2015 after the avalance. 19 dead that year.

I think they were mostly Sherpas preparing for the season from what I recall and there was no climbing that year. Its an incredibly difficult life they have, all to help some westerner achieve a life's dream or tick a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I haven't read all this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating. Does anyone know how many of the guides have been lost over the last 20 years or so? I'm just wondering if they are more acclimatised and do they have less problems, or are they the same as the climbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think they were mostly Sherpas preparing for the season from what I recall and there was no climbing that year. Its an incredibly difficult life they have, all to help some westerner achieve a life's dream or tick a box.

yeah all the deaths that year were due to the avalanche. The previous year there was also an avalance that mostly killed sherpas. there is a full list of those who have died on the mountain here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

Advertisement