Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I must say I've become a little obsessed with Everest this week , I've read and watched so much about it.
    It's not something I'd do myself but I can see the attraction in putting your body and mind to the ultimate test.

I summited Galtee mor which is 8000 meters lower than Everest, with plenty oxygen and warmth and my God twas tough going.

I watched two great climbing documentaries earlier this week, Free Solo and The Dawn Wall, both set on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley, California. Have to say, after watching them as well as seeing the photos in this thread of the long queues at Everest's Summit, Everest has lost some of its wonder for me this week.

I'm not a technical climber, I walk up hills and small mountains as far as my legs and sense will take me. However, when I go walking be it alone or with someone, I seek the most remote and tranquil experience possible. That's part of the hook for me.

If I actually managed to reach the top of Everest to be met with anything resembling a large group of people let alone a long queue, I'd cry.

Seems ludicrous and very irresponsible of the tour companies to sell packages to people knowing they may well have to stand in line at those high altitudes. I wonder if the buyers of the packages are aware of these queues and if it’s clearly stated in the terms and conditions or what not. Perhaps some naively do not know what they are actually getting into. But couldn’t those queues possibly be the difference between life and death for some climbers with altitude sickness.

Thread has been a real eye opener and very informative about Everest and climbing in general.

RIP to Séamus Lawless

tuxy wrote: »
    It's the same for me, I tend to avoid Carrauntoohill when I know it will be busy and pick one of the many other hikes in the area.
    If I had the money to go to the himalayas Everest would hold very little interest for me after seeing some of the crowded photos.

Given the apparent price of an Everest trek, it's not something that I'll ever have to worry about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I found Croagh Patrick tough-going! :D In my defence, I was only nine months out from a serious operation.

I was out of breath just going up the steps out from the car park when doing Croagh Patrick. Practically had to be dragged up the top I was like ah here the fitness life ain’t for me :D
    Bought new runners for the event, they came down black! All the gear and no idea :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Am I still banned for calling the disrespectful poster an a..... e and trying to defend Seamus Lawless?

Ask the mods. Nobody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I suspect that a lot of amateur climbers are doping, but just never mention it. Why wouldn't you take diamox to help with acclimitsation, or even EPO? It's not as if you are going to be tested by WADA. I wonder if there is a big hidden market for this that is just never mentioned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/nepal/articles/Everest-climbers-accused-of-doping/

• Advertisement

I was out of breath just going up the steps out from the car park when doing Croagh Patrick. Practically had to be dragged up the top I was like ah here the fitness life ain’t for me :D
    Bought new runners for the event, they came down black! All the gear and no idea :pac:

I honestly didn’t think I’d make it. My Dad made it up in half the time I did, came down to meet me and went up again. Show off! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Is that the sixth time the same photo has been posted?

I don't care how many times it posted anywhere, I've found it just as shocking each time I've seen it and have stared at it each time in horror. It's a fairly iconic photo in my opinion. It sums that mountain up as it is today, a tourist thrill seeking badge of honour freak show for the wealthy or obsessed. There's a queue of people standing still in a row where no matter how fit or experienced they are, they will die at that altitude if held up by traffic. Anyone who's stood in a queue for their kid to catch a glimpse of Justin Bieber should look at this and realise what ultimate hell is. (Justin Bieber queue closely followed by this)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Update on gofundme about end of search and plan to attempt refunds was 3 hours ago.

Donations are still steadily ticking along since then.

Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nobelium wrote: »
    You mean put the sherpa's body and mind to the ultimate test while they set up all the ladders, ropes and gear, pitch the tents, cook and carry everything for you, and then they risk their lives again trying to drag your ass up and down, while you generally get in their way, slow them down, destroy their countryside and generally exploit them as much as possible. I'd say they despise all, but have no choice to earn a living any other way.

you bored spoiled polluting egocentric wealthy westerners

Wow. Thanks. Did you miss the part I said Its not something I'd do?

Is being wealthy something I should be ashamed of?

Sherpas aren't forced to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

jasper100 wrote: »
    That's all that do it now. Elite athletes either take a challenging route or pick a better mountain.

These bellends think they are high achievers of some sort,
    they are about 30 or 40 years too late.

Will you think of another word apart from bellend to throw your pointless insults around. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Conga-Line-2012-1.jpg

Has anyone wondered about the effect of one person sneezing near the front of the queue?

Or farting?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

Sherpas don't really have any other job opportunities! Did anyone watch the clip where a Sherpa said he thought 9 out of 10 of them would rather do something else other than risking their lives and limbs in the climbing season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No, but anyone who 'climbs' Everest using ropes, ladders, oxygen tanks, etc, put there by someone else, didn't really climb it. They just got a lift from someone else. Hillary and Tenzing climbed it. There no kudos at all for those taking a stroll up based on someone else's actual'climbing'. It's a joke to claim to have climbed it these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Reaching the summit these days seems to be mostly about genetics. Either your body can deal with the altitude or it can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

No, but anyone who 'climbs' Everest using ropes, ladders, oxygen tanks, etc, put there by someone else, didn't really climb it. They just got a lift from someone else. Hillary and Tenzing climbed it. There no kudos at all for those taking a stroll up based on someone else's actual'climbing'. It's a joke to claim to have climbed it these days.
    Ha ha a stroll up Everest. I was up on Mt Blanc a few years ago, half the height of Everest, and the final push trekking through a meter of fresh snow was the toughest thing Ive ever experienced. Barely getting a step and struggling to get a breath, and I was super fit. Everest is no stroll no matter how much prep is done for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Ha ha a stroll up Everest. I was up on Mt Blanc a few years ago, half the height of Everest, and the final push trekking through a meter of fresh snow was the toughest thing Ive ever experienced. Barely getting a step and struggling to get a breath, and I was super fit. Everest is no stroll no matter how much prep is done for you.

Looking at photos no way they are dealing with a meter of fresh snow.

Solid well worn steps from guys in front

A young, new Sherpa detailed in a video on this thread feeling under pressure to shepherd a underprepared client up the mountain. He nearly died and he lost all his fingers in the process. But, who cares, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I already quoted this re the lottery as per tweet from Ben Fogle.

Sorry, missed that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

you bored spoiled polluting egocentric wealthy westernersWow. Thanks. Did you miss the part I said Its not something I'd do? Is being wealthy something I should be ashamed of? Sherpas aren't forced to do anything.

Not directed at you btw but to correct the assumption that its all privileged 'westeners' prancing up and down the mountain. A large number of those who climb Everest come from India, China, and some even Nepal itself. The Indian army, police, the Gurkas etc all send teams to climb Everest. Base camp is more like the United Nations than anything else. Those who have sadly died on the mountain have also come from all over the globe. Not all are wealthy either as in the tragic case of a Indian tailor Paresh Nath who died on the mountain in 2016 having made his own cold weather mountaineering suit. He is just one example that shows that climbing mountains is an addiction which knows no boundaries, class or race.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/05/mount-everest-six-dead-families-mourn-indian-climbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

You have no idea what you are talking about. Experienced climbers still suffer AMS and die climbing 8000+ peaks regardless of ropes, ladders and supplementary oxygen. Most people commenting here wouldn't last 30 minutes in base camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May he rest in peace

gozunda wrote: »
    Not directed at you btw but to correct the assumption that its all privileged 'westeners' prancing up and down the mountain. A large number of those who climb Everest come from India, China, even Nepal itself. The Indian army, police, the Gurkas etc all send teams to climb Everest. Base camp is more like the United Nations than anything else. Those who have sadly died on the mountain have also come from all over the globe. Not all are wealthy either as in the tragic case of a Indian tailor Paresh Nath who died on the mountain in 2016 having made his own cold weather mountaineering suit. He is just one example that shows that climbing mountains is an addiction which knows no boundaries, class or race.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/05/mount-everest-six-dead-families-mourn-indian-climbers

True enough having said that there are obviously wealthy individuals in those countries too.Cost may depend on the company chosen and the level of support provided.For example was reading last night about an English climber David Sharp who chose a cheap package as he wanted to climb without supplementary oxygen.Sadly he became another fatality on Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pc7 wrote: »

RIP

I hope the Lawless man is found, give his family some peace

Dante7 wrote: »
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Experienced climbers still suffer AMS and die climbing 8000+ peaks regardless of ropes, ladders and supplementary oxygen. Most people commenting here wouldn't last 30 minutes in base camp.

If they acclimatise, they might do just as well as an experienced climber. Some who died this week were very experienced. I bet many less experienced people made it up and down. There seems to be no real pattern to who will get AMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

I hope the Lawless man is found, give his family some peace

Do you think someone will fund a recovery mission next year?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Another sad outcome, leaving behind a wife and four kids.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/us-climber-dies-after-scaling-everest-in-sevensummit-bid-38144646.html

As for the Irish climbers who died, climbing Everest is not covered by mortgage protection or travel insurance. Its possible they won't get anything for death in service from their jobs. And who knows if its covered by life assuarance. They potentially could leave their wife and family impoverished and very worst case scenario lose the family home. Not to mention the cost of flying their body home. I have sympathy for the wives and kids but that's as far as it goes.

If they acclimatise, they might do just as well as an experienced climber. Some who died this week were very experienced. I bet many less experienced people made it up and down. There seems to be no real pattern to who will get AMS.

It's really dicing with death then unfortunately isn't it.Wonder with all the developments in science, technology and medicine if there could be a better predictor of probability of survival at these high altitudes. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tuxy wrote: »
    Do you think someone will fund a recovery mission next year?

Has the current funded search stopped?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has the current funded search stopped?

Search called off. Statement from family...
    "The GoFundMe campaign was instrumental in helping us fund an experienced search team for Shay. Unfortunately it was not successful.

"While the experienced search team has made every effort to locate Shay, the extremes of operating at high altitude and the sheer range of the search area ultimately proved too difficult and based on expert advice we have decided to call off the search rather than risk endangering anyone's life in the treacherous conditions."

Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You obviously know nothing about climbing so.
    The 53 ascent by Hilary/ Tenzing was a siege of the mountain, using O2 of course, with many camps on the mountain stocked by many climbers. The 53 base camp was actually in Gorak Shep, not at the base of the Icefall like it was today.
    Modern climbers still have to lug themselves up, they are not dragged up

Advertisement