Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Teslablue wrote: »
    It looks like Lydden has been scheduled as the first roro to pick up for Europe from Philadelphia for Tesla, if this keeps going it will halve the time from built to delivery to Europe and increase the probability of Irish deliveries in October.

Thank christ if true. This wait is the worst. I'm sick of looking at that bloody 'manage' Model 3 order page on tesla.com... the day I don't have to look at that website again will be a welcome one.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Teslablue wrote: »
    It looks like Lydden has been scheduled as the first roro to pick up for Europe from Philadelphia for Tesla, if this keeps going it will halve the time from built to delivery to Europe and increase the probability of Irish deliveries in October.

Not sure where you heard that but the Lydden is currently north of SFO and heading further north. Nowhere near Philly. Maybe another ship? I honestly can't believe trucking 4000 odd cars by truck (10 at a time?) is more efficient than the Panama canal. Certainly faster though.

Interestingly if the Lydden does go to SFO and it heads to Europe it will be I believe the first tesla carrying new panamax size ship, it is quite the beast. I wonder how many more cars they can get on it. The sunlight is also much larger than the normal ships they use.

bdogg wrote: »
    anybody loose their edit button? Mine still showing.

Mine is still gone. I assume they are just messing with me until I drive the car away. I've got a trip in late September so I assume they know that and are waiting to offer it to me the day after I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

maclek wrote: »
    Mine is still gone. I assume they are just messing with me until I drive the car away. I've got a trip in late September so I assume they know that and are waiting to offer it to me the day after I leave.

Haha - sod's law. Don't worry it will probably be Nov31st before any of us get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Did you get a VIN in the source code? What range is it in?

Mine’s still there anyway. 2017 reservation. Order number in the first 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

Not sure where you heard that but the Lydden is currently north of SFO and heading further north. Nowhere near Philly. Maybe another ship? I honestly can't believe trucking 4000 odd cars by truck (10 at a time?) is more efficient than the Panama canal. Certainly faster though.

Interestingly if the Lydden does go to SFO and it heads to Europe it will be I believe the first tesla carrying new panamax size ship, it is quite the beast. I wonder how many more cars they can get on it. The sunlight is also much larger than the normal ships they use.

Mis-read the port call on Lydden it is due in sf on the 4th of September at port80, at least it’s a big roro that can carry over seven thousand cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

So with the removal of the Tesla tax credit in the United States from January- who thinks they will drop the price of the car again to compensate?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Almost certainly if sales are dropping off, however, if they are selling loads into Europe, they may not need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rosberg video
    Objectively terrible production but really cuts through the bull**** of putting 2 tonne road cars on track. Even if the brakes could cope, the tyres can't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Lumen wrote: »
    Objectively terrible production but really cuts through the bull**** of putting 2 tonne road cars on track. Even if the brakes could cope, the tyres can't.

Did I watch a different video...though he said it was good especially in track mode? What did I miss?

Did I watch a different video...though he said it was good especially in track mode? What did I miss?
    Tyres were cooked in under one lap and the brakes were suffering.

hatrack wrote: »
    Did you get a VIN in the source code? What range is it in?

5YJ3F7EB5KF49XXXX

eh no...he said they were overheating and less in trackmode. Did you see the way he was driving...its Nico Rosberg for gods sake...he was at 10/10th all the time. When he says they are overheating he means the grip is getting less, it happens to all cars. They are on PS4's. I know its no Ariel Atom but He said the car was well balanced and trackmode was a good addition.

eh no...he said they were overheating and less in trackmode. Did you see the way he was driving...its Nico Rosberg for gods sake...he was at 10/10th all the time. When he says they are overheating he means the grip is getting less, it happens to all cars. They are on PS4's. I know its no Ariel Atom but He said the car was well balanced and trackmode was a good addition.

I think you're misunderstanding my criticism. I'm not saying the M3 is a bad car, but putting heavy road cars on track is stupid. Even if they're fun, they eat pads and tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,156 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the way I read it too, fitzgeme

A track day will probably eat tyres twice as quick as a stripped out E36 M3, but hey that's par for the course :D

I think you're misunderstanding my criticism. I'm not saying the M3 is a bad car, but putting heavy road cars on track is stupid. Even if they're fun, they eat pads and tyres.

Isn't there an extra strong regen in track mode? I'd say race it and you'd be pleasantly surprised about the pads...

unkel wrote: »
    Isn't there an extra strong regen in track mode? I'd say race it and you'd be pleasantly surprised about the pads...

Regen braking is still only 0.3g in track mode against total braking deceleration of maybe 1g.

The problem is that the M3 is grippy, accelerative and heavy. This means that it has an incredible amount of energy to convert during braking.

Again, it's not a criticism of the car but the application.

A heavier etron or EQC would be even worse.

There's a UK blogger who did a track day at Castle Coombe and managed to get half an hour out of his M3P, but he didn't drive like Rosberg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

5YJ3F7EB5KF49XXXX

That's interesting i've got 5YJ3F7EBXKF44XXXX

That's a big difference in range 44XXXX - 49XXXX.

That's not from the source of the manage page. I don't have a link to a finalize page but if you replace the /profile?rn=RNXXXX in the URL of the mange page with /product-finalize?rn=RNXXXX and then view that page source that's where i find references to the VIN.

There's a UK blogger who did a track day at Castle Coombe and managed to get half an hour out of his M3P, but he didn't drive like Rosberg. :pac:

I saw that and yeah good point :D

Battery the bottle neck there though. Supercharger 3 near the track and you can have many half hour races during the day though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

sln852 wrote: »
    That's interesting i've got 5YJ3F7EBXKF44XXXX

That's a big difference in range 44XXXX - 49XXXX.

That's not from the source of the manage page. I don't have a link to a finalize page but if you replace the /profile?rn=RNXXXX in the URL of the mange page with /product-finalize?rn=RNXXXX and then view that page source that's where i find references to the VIN.

What do you get when you view invoice but change “booking” to “final” in search bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

smokybacon wrote: »
    What do you get when you view invoice but change “booking” to “final” in search bar?

It shows the same invoice. No changes.

That's the way I read it too, fitzgeme

A track day will probably eat tyres twice as quick as a stripped out E36 M3, but hey that's par for the course :D

I have eaten an entire set of tyres and half a set of front pads on a trackday in a e46 m3....track work absolutly hammers a car. My m3 is only 150kg lighter than a Tesla M3...so are we saying that one of the greatest trackday cars of all time is too heavy?????

Yeah I don't see pads or tyres as the problem. Battery is an issue though.

How long does a full tank last in your E46 M3 on a track day? Do most race circuits (like say Mondello) have petrol pumps? Just looked up and the eCars chargepoint in Naas with a 50kW CCS charger is only 10km from Mondello :pac:

I assume you will take your Model 3 P to the track?

I assume you will take your Model 3 P to the track?

I hope to....looks like you could scald the battery away in 60 - 90 minutes....mondello need to install a supercharger :D

A 15 minute supercharge between laps would be ideal honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I am also hoping to bring it to Mondello for track days, haven't had a car for track days in ages. Was hoping to buy a lotus but the price is never dropping for second hand ones and the practicality won't justify the price to pay, Evora is the most practical and is holding its price for the last 5 years, not coming down and a modern elise is the same

jarrieta wrote: »
    I am also hoping to bring it to Mondello for track days, haven't had a car for track days in ages. Was hoping to buy a lotus but the price is never dropping for second hand ones and the practicality won't justify the price to pay, Evora is the most practical and is holding its price for the last 5 years, not coming down and a modern elise is the same

A Caterham Fireblade on a Brian James Minno trailer might scrape under the M3 AWD towing limit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

A Caterham Fireblade on a Brian James Minno trailer might scrape under the M3 AWD towing limit. :pac:

Hahaha, an exige would be passing my limits on practicality (dictated by my income and wealth, not because I wouldn't if I had enough money)

I know the model 3P won't be the same at all but at least it is practical and hopefully cheap to maintain

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭batts_not_incl

Has anyone heard any stories about Model 3 regarding theft? Is it possible to steal one?
    I am thinking not, as even if your keycard is lifted, the car can be controlled remotely, so, similar to iPhones they could be rendered useless in the event? Any reports of it's technology being hacked or worked around regarding theft?
    Strikes me as something that people don't talk about enough when judging pros' and cons' versus ICE vehicles.
    Should greatly affect Insurance premiums also.
    Fast Cars with big boots used to be major targets in certain areas of the country, I seem to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Has anyone heard any stories about Model 3 regarding theft? Is it possible to steal one?
    I am thinking not, as even if your keycard is lifted, the car can be controlled remotely, so, similar to iPhones they could be rendered useless in the event? Any reports of it's technology being hacked or worked around regarding theft?
    Strikes me as something that people don't talk about enough when judging pros' and cons' versus ICE vehicles.
    Should greatly affect Insurance premiums also.
    Fast Cars with big boots used to be major targets in certain areas of the country, I seem to remember.

It's possible to steal anything. No amount of security or app control can prevent a thief from taking a car away on a trailer or truck. It could be broken and all parts sold before you get the insurance to pay up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement