Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

Forget that model year bit. 'K' doesn't equate to 2020. Model 3 in Finland with a 'K' 10th digit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdZmRtL9yA

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Mike9832 wrote: »
    That 12k has way more range, much higher charge speed among other things

So does the €8k, which is where I'm headed. I think. It depends, I'm due a bonus from work, so if it comes in on time, and I get assurances that editing my order won't push the delivery date out, then I think I'll go LR AWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

So does the €8k, which is where I'm headed. I think. It depends, I'm due a bonus from work, so if it comes in on time, and I get assurances that editing my order won't push the delivery date out, then I think I'll go LR AWD.

No one could guarantee that editing won't push delivery out. That said (and again, this could be wishful thinking on my part), getting a higher margin car should play in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

That's kinda where I am. I've ordered SR+, but debating with myself whether I can scramble together another €8k (I'm paying cash) for the practicality of longer range and AWD. Scrambling together €12k is out of the question though, especially just for more acceleration.

If I don't see a car before Nov, I'll probably try go for the LR AWD myself. I'll have had another 6 months to save the difference. I'm doing HP so every penny borrowed pushes the monthly...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

For what it’s worth, such was my annoyance at the text message received saying deliveries would start towards the end of the year I rang the UK number associated with the DeliveryIE@tesla.com email address (+44 1628 450 694 - please feel free to try them also). To my amazement someone picked up after a minute or two on hold. I asked what was going on with Irish deliveries. The guy I spoke to said he wasn’t sure but as far as he knew there was a boat arriving in mid September and Irish deliveries would be made from that.

He put me on hold to check but couldn’t get hold of the person looking after Irish deliveries. He undertook to call me back by close of business but never did (as you’d expect!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Right choice

Well worth it for €8k

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

One of the posters above gave me an idea.

I didn't want to bu the Performance model because I had zero interest in track mode and couldn't abide the 20" wheels.

On the other hand, it's only a 4K difference, so if the standard wheels fit, I could do a swap and give nice 20" wheels to someone purchasing an SR+ who wants and values nicer wheels, and presumably save myself a sizable portion of the 4K difference between the LR AWD and the Performance.

So what do people think the price should be for an upgrade to 20" wheels on an SR+?
    BTW was this actually ever offered by Tesla? (My recollection is that it was an option at one point)

ETA: Answered my own question - this is a $4000 option on the us site https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-20_-sport-wheel-and-tire-package.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,163 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

catharsis wrote: »
    One of the posters above gave me an idea.

Who was that? :p

Here's Nyland with the 18" on his performance:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

unkel wrote: »

Hmm... actually that link is bad news as it looks like some 18" wheels will fit on the M3P but that does not unfortunately include the standard 18" Aero wheels.

Seems like my great idea ;) may not work out after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Nobody in their right mind would buy it though. It will have more depreciation than the Performance, a higher total cost of ownership even.

I knew I lost my mind- for me range is king and this option has the longest range.
    The performance has no tow bar, and the low profile tyres seem more fragile.
    Intending to keep the car for 10 years so resale is not a real concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Interesting... hopefully something in it for us

https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/faster-deliveries-eu-uk-philaport/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Did anyone call to get a price on the DC Motors Model 3? It’s the exact model I would go for...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

bdogg wrote: »

Being a Model 3 pre-order holder has made me a shipping & maritime expert. This is really interesting stuff.

I imagine Elon & co. are dying to utilise their own trucks instead of diesel ones for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bdogg wrote: »

I would have thought trains would be a better option than individual trucks bringing cars across the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Did anyone call to get a price on the DC Motors Model 3? It’s the exact model I would go for...

Think they are asking 6k over list....was bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Being a Model 3 pre-order holder has made me a shipping & maritime expert. This is really interesting stuff.

I imagine Elon & co. are dying to utilise their own trucks instead of diesel ones for the future.

The Tesla semi project is on indefinite hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Here's Nyland with the 18" on his performance:

Please call him Bjorn!

JPA wrote: »
    Please call him Bjorn!

It's Bjørn not Bjorn :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

Think they are asking 6k over list....was bound to happen.

6k more then on Tesla web page?? That is nuts!

skippy123! wrote: »

That is shortage! Simple economics. Supply and demand. Demand is high and supply is low. Same reason some second hand Rolex watches cost twice as much as the exact same watch brand new from a Rolex Authorised Dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

That is shortage! Simple economics. Supply and demand. Demand is high and supply is low. Same reason some second hand Rolex watches cost twice as much as the exact same watch brand new from a Rolex Authorised Dealer.

But I don't get this... So they are charging 6k just because they have a car already in the shop? Is it that of an emergency for people to buy that specific car?

Yes.

Some people are so keen to get it that they will pay a premium. Even happens to far more modest cars like Hyundai Ioniq electric, which in the US costs full RRP + USD3,000 from the main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Hello guys,

It seems pretty confusing all this with tax on the car so can anyone please explain? I am looking into getting a PCP deal for a long range Tesla 3 with 20 000 euro deposit on a period of 5 years if possible? How much would I need to pay monthly and what would I need to pay regarding tax? Taking black car without no extras. Thanks in advance!

If you go to the design studio, design your car and on the last page, look at the very bottom and there is a finance calculator where you can enter the deposit amount and number of years and it shows the payment (and the SHOCKING amount of interest 4.9% APR comes to).

The road tax is 120, the VRT etc. is included in the price quoted, I think if you call them they can tell you how much the VAT is if you are looking to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xCiaránx

You can count me as another person who's gone for the LR AWD rather than the Performance for all the reasons listed earlier in the thread. Beyond a certain point I really don't need any more performance from these cars. Especially if stretching a few extra grand is gonna get me a worse ride quality/less range, etc. Selling the wheels and then trying find a set of 18" ones that will fit (which seems a hassle because of the brake calipers) is of zero interest to me.

It might be the exact right option for some people, and I'd even agree that it's a good price for what you get. But to suggest that stretching to the Performance is some kind of no-brainer is a little wide of the mark I think. If getting one of these cars in the first place is already a fierce stretch of the budget and you want the most range for the least money, LR AWD is the way to go. I think a lot of people are in that boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rg_lv

xCiaránx wrote: »
    You can count me as another person who's gone for the LR AWD rather than the Performance for all the reasons listed earlier in the thread. Beyond a certain point I really don't need any more performance from these cars. Especially if stretching a few extra grand is gonna get me a worse ride quality/less range, etc. Selling the wheels and then trying find a set of 18" ones that will fit (which seems a hassle because of the brake calipers) is of zero interest to me.

It might be the exact right option for some people, and I'd even agree that it's a good price for what you get. But to suggest that stretching to the Performance is some kind of no-brainer is a little wide of the mark I think. If getting one of these cars in the first place is already a fierce stretch of the budget and you want the most range for the least money, LR AWD is the way to go. I think a lot of people are in that boat.

same here. Have had cars with big alloys, not worth the hassle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

But I don't get this... So they are charging 6k just because they have a car already in the shop? Is it that of an emergency for people to buy that specific car?

I done the same years ago with iPhones before they were available here.
    I used to buy 4 on launch day in Belfast.

Drive home and sell 3. Everyone of them sold for significantly more than I paid and I could of sold them 3 times over every year.

I don’t that every year for about 4 years.

Yes I’m a vulture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

kceire wrote: »
    I done the same years ago with iPhones before they were available here.
    I used to buy 4 on launch day in Belfast.

Drive home and sell 3. Everyone of them sold for significantly more than I paid and I could of sold them 3 times over every year.

I don’t that every year for about 4 years.

Yes I’m a vulture.

Delboy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jusmeig wrote: »
    Delboy

That’s only the half of it!
    Because I was in account with meteor I got the latest android phones as upgrades for €99. They came unlocked so I was selling my upgrade at the same time. J actually earned a months wages every time I done this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

It looks like Lydden has been scheduled as the first roro to pick up for Europe from Philadelphia for Tesla, if this keeps going it will halve the time from built to delivery to Europe and increase the probability of Irish deliveries in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

anybody loose their edit button? Mine still showing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement