Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Agreed, no text, email etc. mean anything until we actually see cars being handed over. Like you, this is a very expensive car for me, I was hoping not to have to spend dead money on my current car but it looks like I'll have no choice now as services, NCT and Tax are all due by the end of the year. On the inspection side, it would have been ideal to collect the car during this fine weather so as to have a good look around it for possible defects. There are too many horror stories going around from new owners who didn't bother with due diligence only to find later that their cars were less than perfect. It will be hard to do a thorough inspection on a cold wet winters day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

jfk75 wrote: »
    Agreed, no text, email etc. mean anything until we actually see cars being handed over. Like you, this is a very expensive car for me, I was hoping not to have to spend dead money on my current car but it looks like I'll have no choice now as services, NCT and Tax are all due by the end of the year. On the inspection side, it would have been ideal to collect the car during this fine weather so as to have a good look around it for possible defects. There are too many horror stories going around from new owners who didn't bother with due diligence only to find later that their cars were less than perfect. It will be hard to do a thorough inspection on a cold wet winters day.

Dont worry lads the delivery area is indoors, you can have a good look there and measure all the panel gaps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Dont worry lads the delivery area is indoors, you can have a good look there and measure all the panel gaps :P

:p:p:p Eh...I think panel gaps would be the least of anyone's worries!;);):D:D I'd be alot more interested in paint missing and bare metal exposed, missing switches, dents, scratches,incorrect VINs , wrong reg plates on the car, torn upholstery, misaligned roof glass etc etc..........but then again, it'll be "shiny" so I'll probably just ignore all of that...:rolleyes:;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Kona electric in paddy spec is not a competitor to the m3. Doesnt even have adaptive cruise!

I agree 100%, that's why I didn't buy it, I queried as to why they don't have the top spec one with ACC (that also adjusts the regen automatically) especially as the price for it (UK) is not much more and they are only doing one model and the response was "We did a deal to get the cars direct from Korea rather than the UK )Brexit issues no doubt) and part of the deal was just the one model", not comment on why it wasn't the top one.

Truly sad.

I've an M3 reserved since launch, that's what I want, even though it's way more than I can afford/justify, buit over the long term I can make it work and will likely enjoy it a lot and get more use out of it than previous "shopping trolleys with occasional blasts" due to the low running costs, fun factor, less stress in traffic and lovely sound system + all the goodies coming with the updates.

However, having no car at all is likely to become a problem in the winter and I am not buying an ICE nor an old Leaf. I buy a car and keep it for 15-20+ years usually.

I'll muddle by somehow though I'm sure.

On a related note, can more people maybe moan to SC Sandyford about why Homelink is not included for RHD buyers? They don't even seem to be offering it as an option (they removed it in the US but you can have it fitted for $300 which I would be fine with).

If we ever want to see robotaxi and proper summon and you have a garage or automatic gate, it will be essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

EVGuy wrote: »
    I buy a car and keep it for 15-20+ years usually.

Wow! You are rare I'd say!

Fair play all the same, you deserve your Model 3! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just buy a bangernomics ICE to do you till the M3 arrives?
    I'm sure you won't be the only one in the same boat,

I am doing the same thing! 2009 skoda superb diesel till we move and I can finance my new EV

Just buy a bangernomics ICE to do you till the M3 arrives?
    I'm sure you won't be the only one in the same boat,

I am doing the same thing! 2009 skoda superb diesel till we move and I can finance my new EV

I have one in the drive, but the insurance went through the roof as it's 22 years old. :(

It would need about 1000 in repairs + 2800 insurance + 500 tax to get it on the road and then I have to deal with the expensive of filling it up.

I'm not buying some banger on its last legs to drive around spewing filth. I'd rather spend the ~€250 on a set of knobby tyres for the bike for winter days and maybe a heated jacket. ;)

I'd actually consider buying something like a Zero FXS with knobbies rather than putting the money into an ICE car, but then I probably wouldn't have the funds to buy the M3.

It would help if Tesla lowered their finance rate, maybe give us all 0% finance to compensate for the wait (or even something like 2%).

As an aside, do you do CAN hacking? I'm asking based on your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Folks, I've been following the thread with interest over the past couple of weeks, and I've decided I'm going to take the plunge on the M3. I've a slightly different scenario, in that I currently have a company car on lease, and I'll be doing the same arrangement with the M3. My current lease expires in Feb 2021, so I guess I'll place my order in Feb/Mar next year. One question, with regards to the M3 is the boot/front boot capacity. Would you be able to fit a set of golf clubs into the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Folks, I've been following the thread with interest over the past couple of weeks, and I've decided I'm going to take the plunge on the M3. I've a slightly different scenario, in that I currently have a company car on lease, and I'll be doing the same arrangement with the M3. My current lease expires in Feb 2021, so I guess I'll place my order in Feb/Mar next year. One question, with regards to the M3 is the boot/front boot capacity. Would you be able to fit a set of golf clubs into the boot?

Absolutely. There is loads of space in the boot. Perhaps 4 sets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb4xaJRoo00

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I for one will not be taking my driver out and risk snapping it, boot will need to take a proper full cart bag including driver and woods. It looks like it will fit diagonally

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

slave1 wrote: »
    I for one will not be taking my driver out and risk snapping it, boot will need to take a proper full cart bag including driver and woods. It looks like it will fit diagonally

Looking at that video, I'd say the full set will fit diagonally. Wonder would you get the trolley into the front trunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Looking at that video, I'd say the full set will fit diagonally. Wonder would you get the trolley into the front trunk?

No way - the 'frunk' is quite shallow and small. It would fit a small backpack or a couple of small shopping bags - no more.

Re: clubs. Yeah, diagonal with the bag all the way in the boot. Trolley beside it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

If Tesla did 0% APR on Model 3, I would buy it right away (or rather preorder one).
    They don't need to do that, the demand is higher than the supply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have one in the drive, but the insurance went through the roof as it's 22 years old. :(

It would need about 1000 in repairs + 2800 insurance + 500 tax to get it on the road and then I have to deal with the expensive of filling it up.

I'm not buying some banger on its last legs to drive around spewing filth. I'd rather spend the ~€250 on a set of knobby tyres for the bike for winter days and maybe a heated jacket. ;)

I'd actually consider buying something like a Zero FXS with knobbies rather than putting the money into an ICE car, but then I probably wouldn't have the funds to buy the M3.

It would help if Tesla lowered their finance rate, maybe give us all 0% finance to compensate for the wait (or even something like 2%).

As an aside, do you do CAN hacking? I'm asking based on your username.
    I assume that's some sort of pushbike? :pac:
    No I don't do CAN hacking, it was a username from my first question here

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Yes but if the first 10 are no hassle, and you are hassle, the 10 sales are easier than dealing with a problem customer for an 11th sale that costs them more in opex (employing staff to deal with you) and that eats into what is probably a very thin margin. If you ordered an SR+ in white with no extras it's probably not even making them more than a couple of percent. Their profit is in the M3P/LRAWD models

nah
    the problem isn't the individual customer - it's who they tell, it's the marketing of it ... anyway, you seem to be a strong believer so I will leave it there :)

they're definitely great cars, but the competition won't stand still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

What have you got sitting in the driveway that costs 2800 to insure???

Whats a Zero FXS cost here if available? 12k++? Gear and insurance could cost 1-1.5k for it.

There's lot of things you could pick up with NCT for 500-1000 that would be cheap to tax and insure to get you over the gap. NCT it again and you'll get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

I would ignore the video of fitting 4 sets of clubs in the boot. These all had no drivers in the bags. I think worst case you'll get a set and electric trolly in the boot BUT I'd be surprised if you don't need to remove the driver from your bag and place it in on top. There are a few more youtubes on it. Half hoping the base in the boot could take an electric caddy car but unlikely (but there are some that fold into nothing these days, so maybe). The front boot (can't call it a frunk) will be dedicated to golf shoes, spare rain gear, golf gloves, hats etc etc..... Ok sorry I'm on a golf tangent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Spoke to someone in Tesla today, they are fully expecting the first batch of Irish cars to be on a ship coming into Zebrugge in mid-October. They said normally they would expect to deliver these cars in late October but are allowing a few extra weeks for SEAI paperwork. No mention on any “software” issues.

I was told to expect to be allocated a VIN in October, delivery early Nov and if I didn’t want to take delivery it was no issue, VIN would be reassigned to another matching order. No guarantee then of a January delivery, could be anytime in Q1

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

bf wrote: »
    Spoke to someone in Tesla today, they are fully expecting the first batch of Irish cars to be on a ship coming into Zebrugge in mid-October. They said normally they would expect to deliver these cars in late October but are allowing a few extra weeks for SEAI paperwork. No mention on any “software” issues.

I was told to expect to be allocated a VIN in October, delivery early Nov and if I didn’t want to take delivery it was no issue, VIN would be reassigned to another matching order. No guarantee then of a January delivery, could be anytime in Q1

Was this in Sandyford? Or someone in UK or Netherlands?

If it’s true it’s slightly earlier than “end of November” which we had been told. I won’t mention the pointless text message we all received.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Interesting price comparasion of the costs of Teslas across all regions
    u0brxdeypyi31.png
    Taken from here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/cw290w/global_price_comparison_20190825/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Hartunion

I think what they might potentially be understimating is just how many people won't want delivery in late Nov/Dec? Surely the elephant in the room. Maybe they will have comfort in the fact that going down the queue someone will take it them. I for one would prefer wait for a 2020 reg than take ownership in Nov!!! All that said - I still think it's going to be Q1 anyway. Interesting the software item seems to have gone away which was front and centre to the hold up some time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Any mention of which config they expect to come first? Performance, LR AWD, SR+, or a mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Lads the software "issue" was anecdotal. The Model3 is on the SEAI website for weeks.

traco wrote: »
    What have you got sitting in the driveway that costs 2800 to insure???

Whats a Zero FXS cost here if available? 12k++? Gear and insurance could cost 1-1.5k for it.

There's lot of things you could pick up with NCT for 500-1000 that would be cheap to tax and insure to get you over the gap. NCT it again and you'll get your money back.

Something small and sporty is in the drive.

I could in theory get classic insurance on it for 390 but that apparently excludes commuting.

The zero would replace my smaller bike (also worth about 12k) so would cost €160 to add to my policy.

The plan is/was to sell the smaller bike to help pay for the M3 though. I have all the gear and you can get a great set of gear + helment for about 800 if you shop sensibly.

I really don't want to buy a banger - yes, I might be lucky and it fills a gap, I could equally be unlucky and end up with a pile of scrap I have to pay to have towed.

Probably I'll just use the bike I have, short of -5 or lower and ice on the road it's fine, even in light snow. ;) Heated seats too. ;)

@hartunion "Froot". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Hartunion wrote: »
    I think what they might potentially be understimating is just how many people won't want delivery in late Nov/Dec? Surely the elephant in the room. Maybe they will have comfort in the fact that going down the queue someone will take it them. I for one would prefer wait for a 2020 reg than take ownership in Nov!!! All that said - I still think it's going to be Q1 anyway. Interesting the software item seems to have gone away which was front and centre to the hold up some time back.

To put it in context Ireland is a tiny market for them. There is probably 300 - 350 orders in Ireland versus over 6,000 in the UK. Who knows what volume they will get into Ireland before new year (assuming they do), but 50 rejections of 192 regs wont hurt them at all as the cars wont be in Ireland. Cars shipped to Ireland from Zebrugge - you'll be asked to confirm if you are taking the car in advance. If you say no, it more than likely won't even make it to Ireland and be allocated to the UK or potentially someone who ordered later in Ireland.

I'd be interested to know how many orders in Ireland are company cars, as while personal buyers probably prefer to hold off for the new plate, companies may prefer to take the cars regardless of month to get a years depreciation write off against profits & accelerated capital allowances into accounts for 2018
    Any mention of which config they expect to come first? Performance, LR AWD, SR+, or a mix?

Nope, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Went for a test drive today in SR+ which is what I have ordered.

Really enjoyed it, regen braking will take some getting used to but similar to my other test drive in the S in most aspects.

Still a lot of road noise, didnt notice it was that quiet. But I guess we can get some extras to help with that.
    Also no mats is a weird one. Gonna have to order those separately and probably the vinyl wrap for the console area.

Boot space was pretty good, never gonna rival my current VRS estate.

Tesla sales guy was very informative, I think I've watched so many videos and listened to so many podcasts now that I knew most features.

Got an email afterwards:

Est. Delivery Timeline:
    November/December 2019
    Correct at time of sending. Subject to change. Exact delivery dates will be confirmed by Tesla closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

I was lucky to order before the previous price increase- I am looking forward to the ongoing updates to keep my toy new. For anyone interested https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/25/tesla-full-self-driving-the-infamous-80-20-rule/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,937 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

'Shots fired? The cars recharging at the moment - hide under the bed, someone should be with you in about 3 hours.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Its almost the perfect car for a police patrol vehicle, fast, cheap, built in data analytics and the average range of a "city of Indy" patrol car is just shy of 200 miles... Well it was in 2007 when I worked for a IT service provider who ran their IT systems.

One of the systems we integrated with all city service vehicles like fire trucks and police cars was sensors (IOT) for all the fuel status & standard equipment they needed to carry. This increased the time vehicles could be patrolled and reduced the time they were at base doing a human handover between shifts. The Tesla systems would easily be adapted to send back data to the central database of the city without retrofitting of a bunch of kit. Bargersville was one of the cities who signed up for the IT program, I suspect the rest of the city will follow soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement