Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭EVGuy

Suggestion: to try and avoid some of the recent derailing of this thread, I would suggest folks take advantage of the ignore option, just click on a person's name, select "add xxxxx to ignore list" and then you won't see their posts.

If you don't see them, you won't need to respond to the trolling etc. :)

If they are being ignored (no responses) they may then not bother posting.

Just a thought. ;)

I've ignored two folks, NOT including the "book" person to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

EVGuy wrote: »
    Suggestion: to try and avoid some of the recent derailing of this thread, I would suggest folks take advantage of the ignore option, just click on a person's name, select "add xxxxx to ignore list" and then you won't see their posts.

Just a thought. ;)

Cheers EVGuy, didn't know you could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Just a thought. ;)

:-) who now?? No more detailing from me honest now I know it’s not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    2 RS5, 0 M3s and S5 so far this year according to SIMI stats.

7 x M2
    0 x M3 (model change)
    8 x M4
    5 x M5

2 x RS5

done so far this year but this year is a bad year to measure due to economy and wltp stoppages. A lot more done last year by all of the above.

Would you not be better with a long life CF rather than an SSD....TRIM issues and reliability on a SSD for such an ammount of writes would worry me. A simple MicroSD to USB adapter with a SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card is more reliable...SSD's are not designed for Video monitoring or NAS.

A large enough SSD should not have garbage collection issues and if worried about the reliability, the more recent ones have massive "drive writes per day" ability. You can also over-provision to reserve space that gets ignored and is kept as a backup in case of a cell failing.

You can also manually run a trim from time to time by plugging it into a computer.

Maybe Tesla have some GC included in their OS? Plus, if it's pre-allocating space for "chunks" of footage, it's less of an issue versus randomly writing little blocks. The recent s/w update mentioned "creating folders" to better organise the footage, maybe they are also pre-allocating e.g. 4GB blocks or the like.

I'd lvoe to see them support NTFS or some Linux FS that would allow larger partitions than 32GB, then you could use a larger drive and have the wear spread more evenly.

Some USB sticks are even fast and reliable enough.

However, what you suggest is also a very good option, as long as you also pick an SD card that is designed for reliability, there are cheap and nasty SD cards out there just as there are USB stick that will die rapidly.

Yikes, that ended up a bit longer than intended. But at least it is on topic. :)

@dumbyearbook You mean you are now not going to go around to all the TM3 owners on here and detail their cars for them? :(

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

jarrieta wrote: »
    any link to the buying page for that?

https://getjeda.com/tesla-model3-usb-hub/

Went with Samsung T5 SSD to pair with the hub. The footage takes ages to come off the USB 2.0 thumb drives.

I went with the nomad wireless charging dock instead of Jeda but have heard good things about Jedas latest. The Jeda Wireless Charger v2 supports landscape wireless charging too if you want to use smartphone for nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Would you not be better with a long life CF rather than an SSD....TRIM issues and reliability on a SSD for such an ammount of writes would worry me. A simple MicroSD to USB adapter with a SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card is more reliable...SSD's are not designed for Video monitoring or NAS.

A large enough SSD should not have garbage collection issues and if worried about the reliability, the more recent ones have massive "drive writes per day" ability. You can also over-provision to reserve space that gets ignored and is kept as a backup in case of a cell failing.

You can also manually run a trim from time to time by plugging it into a computer.

Maybe Tesla have some GC included in their OS? Plus, if it's pre-allocating space for "chunks" of footage, it's less of an issue versus randomly writing little blocks. The recent s/w update mentioned "creating folders" to better organise the footage, maybe they are also pre-allocating e.g. 4GB blocks or the like.

I'd love to see them support NTFS or some Linux FS that would allow larger partitions than 32GB, then you could use a larger drive and have the wear spread more evenly.

Some USB sticks are even fast and reliable enough.

However, what you suggest is also a very good option, as long as you also pick an SD card that is designed for reliability, there are cheap and nasty SD cards out there just as there are USB stick that will die rapidly.

Yikes, that ended up a bit longer than intended. But at least it is on topic. :)

:-) who now?? No more detailing from me honest now I know it’s not on.

You mean you are now not going to go around to all the TM3 owners on here and detail their cars for them? :( I was looking forward to that. :)

But to be serious, thanks for that.

;)

Freudian slip jeez, I actually do like detailing when I’ve the time !

bdogg wrote: »
    Went with Samsung T5 SSD to pair with the hub. The footage takes ages to come off the USB 2.0 thumb drives..

I think the Tesla USB is only 2.0 anyway, so a fast 2.0 USB will be the same as an SSD - assuming similar latency.

Cheapo USB sticks will absolutely be terrible as they are likely 10MB/s or less when USB 2.0 can do about 35.

Or have they upgraded the ports to 3.0 or 3.1? That would be amazing if so.
    Freudian slip jeez, I actually do like detailing when I’ve the time !

You can also delete parts of your quote when replying to avoid a wall of extra text.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭backlashs

Got this today for the dashcam - one to add to the stack of accessories awaiting the car!

Ordered one of these myself,
    Did you get a Shipped email or did it just show up?

Mine was supposed to have shipped weeks ago (according to the shipping schedule) but haven't got any update

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sln852

This is a good article discussing the various options for DashCam drives with recommendations.

Under the USB flash drive section it states that Tesla have added a performance test in v2019.24.2 that will shut out the drive if it's too slow and that some fast drives have also failed that performance test and recommends using micro SD cards with an adapter until more information is known.

https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

• Advertisement

backlashs wrote: »
    Did you get a Shipped email or did it just show up?

Got a shipped email about 7 days ago - arrived today.

When I was using Model 3 dashcam on my road trip, the 32gb would fill in no time with saving clips to the dashcam and sentry mode. We had to clear it regularly (which took about 45 mins to transfer the laptop) - was a pain. Kinda burned since that. I believe Tesla software 10 which is coming soon addresses some of the file issues and sorting of clips.

USB-C coming off the SSD to the mac is where it will shine - will fly. Plus the hub will keep under the phone charger tidy and usable for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Got this today for the dashcam - one to add to the stack of accessories awaiting the car!

Damn, didn't know that producer was a thing, I went with cheaper amazon.com versions until the market catches up. So far I've mats, centre console wrap/boxes/charger, PiZero dashcam/music syncer, roofrack (ordered).

Also, looks like delivery has started (quietly)? The Tesla Facebook group is reporting a 192-WW registration was handed over yesterday

OIjokxa.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That colour is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,837 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rusting body on model 3.

I'd be pissed with this. Shows you how crap the panel gaps are though

From Discover on Google https://insideevs.com/news/372613/tesla-model-3-new-kind-rust-problem/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

listermint wrote: »
    Rusting body on model 3.

From Discover on Google https://insideevs.com/news/372613/tesla-model-3-new-kind-rust-problem/

Literally says at start of article car was involved in 2 accidents. So you can only blame shoddy repair work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,837 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JPA wrote: »
    Literally says at start of article car was involved in 2 accidents. So you can only blame shoddy repair work.

Ah missed that part. Just watched the video

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Damn, didn't know that producer was a thing, I went with cheaper amazon.com versions until the market catches up. So far I've mats....

I assume you mean floor mats? can you send on a link. found it hard to find decent RHD floor mats online.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rusting body on model 3.

UPDATE: It turns out that this rusting Model 3 was involved in a couple of crashes, which may help to explain why there's a rust issue. Check out our latest story on this at the link directly below:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

First cars now registered according to Motorstat.

Figures below in attachments.

Now to race to catch one in the wild!

RedorDead wrote: »
    First cars now registered according to Motorstat.

Figures below in attachments.

Now to race to catch one in the wild!

Wonder how many of them are DC motor company? Although, appears that Sandyford seem to have started if you believe Twittah

https://twitter.com/MarkPerplexus/status/1176901560158380034?s=20

• Advertisement

Rusting body on model 3.

While I think it's very bad to see this, as mentioned it could be accident related.

I suspect things have improved regarding gaps and paint too, that car is also well over a year old, one of the first 3s and over 50k miles on it.

I'll certainly be looking over areas like this, maybe a little piece of PPF popped in a few places to stop paint rubbing if needed.

Likwise a spoonful of anti-corrosion treatment in with the detergent when washing.

It definitely helps on bikes.

Note that this is not a Tesla only issue, I had a very, very expensive Ducati and there was much worse rust than this appearing within weeks, no accidents.

Likewise a BMW after about a year.

Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, no issues after 4+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Wonder how many of them are DC motor company? Although, appears that Sandyford seem to have started if you believe Twittah

https://twitter.com/MarkPerplexus/status/1176901560158380034?s=20

Mostly Tesla I’d say, I think DC have only registered one so far.

Think Tesla have gotten 10 in to deliver to Day 1 reservation holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Note that this is not a Tesla only issue, I had a very, every expensive Ducati and there was much worse rust than this appearing within weeks, no accidents.

Likewise a BMW after about a year.

Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, no issues after 4+ years.

There could be a clue in this. Beautiful sh1theaps come in all shapes and sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

hatrack wrote: »
    Mostly Tesla I’d say, I think DC have only registered one so far.

Think Tesla have gotten 10 in to deliver to Day 1 reservation holders.

Was over there yesterday and about 10 M3s drove past me back into the Tesla garage at the entrance. The lads said they were just back from detailing ready for collection :eek:.
    Was great to see the different colors, and mostly P models, love those rims ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There could be a clue in this. Beautiful sh1theaps come in all shapes and sizes!

Pointless comment, if nothing of value to add just don't bother :rolleyes:

zep wrote: »
    W The lads said they were just back from detailing ready for collection :eek:.

Interesting, it would be nice if any needed "paint correction" or the like was also being done and that this will be the norm for all cars delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

kev22185 wrote: »
    I assume you mean floor mats? can you send on a link. found it hard to find decent RHD floor mats online.

I would also like a link for floor mats please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Interesting, it would be nice if any needed "paint correction" or the like was also being done and that this will be the norm for all cars delivered.
    No way will Tesla do the paint correction, this would be a one off for the photo opportunity and the media if any was done. At best us minions would get a showroom finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

krissovo wrote: »
    No way will Tesla do the paint correction, this would be a one off for the photo opportunity and the media if any was done. At best us minions would get a showroom finish.

Ya, this looks like 10+ cars and a bit of fanfare...to keep the rest of us at bay until Nov.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement