Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do STH get anything back?

I hope not, when staff are taking serious pay cuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »

I don’t want anything back, regardless of what happens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Agreed but to be fair, they are taking pay referrals so unlike a pay cut they may claw that back in the future.

Agreed but to be fair, they are taking pay referrals so unlike a pay cut they may claw that back in the future.

The loss of revenue to Leinster will likely be €2.5 million, no matter what happens the province needs the support. The money was gone as far as I was concerned anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I demand a refund.

In all seriousness, I'm not remotely concerned about players on pretty large salaries with numerous endorsements having their wages delayed for a while, so long as Leinster, the IRFU and the rest of the provinces are meeting their obligations toward staff on normal enough salaries. If that's what the season ticket money is needed for then fair enough, but if it's a choice between giving the professional players their wages back in a few months time or refunding season ticket holders the difference for missed matches then there's only one right option there.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I demand a refund.

In all seriousness, I'm not remotely concerned about players on pretty large salaries with numerous endorsements having their wages delayed for a while, so long as Leinster, the IRFU and the rest of the provinces are meeting their obligations toward staff on normal enough salaries. If that's what the season ticket money is needed for then fair enough, but if it's a choice between giving the professional players their wages back or refunding season ticket holders the difference for missed matches then there's only one right option there.

Support your province

I can't see anyone really wanting a refund.

I assume the ST renewal window opening that is scheduled for Tuesday to be delayed as they have not issued any pricing yet (unless that's coming tomorrow).

Think Ulster have postponed theirs along with some UK clubs.

Bit hard to sell new season tickets too when you don't know when the season will actually begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I can't see anyone really wanting a refund.

I assume the ST renewal window opening that is scheduled for Tuesday to be delayed as they have not issued any pricing yet (unless that's coming tomorrow).

Think Ulster have postponed theirs along with some UK clubs.

Bit hard to sell new season tickets too when you don't know when the season will actually begin.

And with a lot of people out of work who may not be able to afford it for the time being ... Would be the smart move to postpone the window.

Leinster have confirmed that STH renewals are postponed indefinitely.

They also reference that they're examining methods for current STH holders to retain their seats. I'd really hope there's no chance that those who want to retain their seats lose them and its more a reference to assisting those in temporary financial difficulty retain their seats in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd at least expect the money to go against our season ticket price next season. I'd also be shocked if they don't have to at least offer a refund, legally.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd at least expect the money to go against our season ticket price next season. I'd also be shocked if they don't have to at least offer a refund, legally.

Nah they're well covered on that as per their season ticket terms and conditions.
    We would remind supporters that fixtures are subject to change at all times and Leinster Rugby cannot be held responsible for any associated costs to fans in the event of an amendment.

Should any matches be cancelled or postponed no money will be returned. If the match is eventually played, the Season Ticket will be valid for a later date.

I'm OK with that though. Retaining the excellent staff they have in place is more valuable over the long term. If they offered a refund for the remaining games (covered by the season ticket), I'd be happy to refuse it.

Saracens game is obviously a bit different so will see what happens with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nah they're well covered on that as per their season ticket terms and conditions.

I'm OK with that though. Retaining the excellent staff they have in place is more valuable over the long term. If they offered a refund for the remaining games (covered by the season ticket), I'd be happy to refuse it.

Saracens game is obviously a bit different so will see what happens with that.

Wouldn't be so sure on this. Tems and conditions don't remove consumer rights.

AdamD wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure on this. Tems and conditions don't remove consumer rights.

They're not removing consumer rights. When you purchase a season ticket, you're purchasing a ticket which includes relevant games as appropriate which can change as per the terms and conditions. You're not purchasing x individual match tickets at the outset.

If you purchased individual games, specific rights are vested in these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

kmart6 wrote: »
    That seems like unnecessary effort instead of just typing 23 as everyone else does.

He has played under three and a half games collectively with only two starts, he has a bit more to do to prove himself.

Well, he looked like a very smart lineout player in what we've seen of him so far. And there's obviously the outstanding athletic performance in the win against Glasgow in which he picked up the homme du match gong. The kind of stuff he's showing indicates he's ready for a step up in level.

I'd say a lot of people's thinking on Fardy is that he should start ahead of Toner, which would obviously mean he was of more value, and would be more of a loss if he left. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus on here was that James Ryan would take Toner's place when he broke through, and Fardy would retain a starting jumper. Guess what? It didn't happen. It was Toner and Ryan starting for the most part, with Fardy pushed to blindside or on to the bench.

I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if, next season, the 34-year old with 70 odd caps as an international second row was ahead of the 36-year old with two international starts or whatever it is as a second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well, he looked like a very smart lineout player in what we've seen of him so far. And there's obviously the outstanding athletic performance in the win against Glasgow in which he picked up the homme du match gong. The kind of stuff he's showing indicates he's ready for a step up in level.

I'd say a lot of people's thinking on Fardy is that he should start ahead of Toner, which would obviously mean he was of more value, and would be more of a loss if he left. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus on here was that James Ryan would take Toner's place when he broke through, and Fardy would retain a starting jumper. Guess what? It didn't happen. It was Toner and Ryan starting for the most part, with Fardy pushed to blindside or on to the bench.

I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if, next season, the 34-year old with 70 odd caps as an international second row was ahead of the 36-year old with two international starts or whatever it is as a second row.

Hard to tell, most second rows don't mature till later in career. With Ryan and Itjoe bucking the thread then everyone expects the same from all players.

I would give the lad a chance. Yes he was MoM v Glasgow but they where poor on the night. Let him get a few games in Europe and then see how he gets on.

Its not like he has a poor game he should be dropped, I think players should be given a chance, if they step up and it doesnt go to plan, then keep going and hopefully have a long career. I remember in 2011 and around that everyone said Toner would never make it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The email they sent was this:
    Dear Steve,

We advised previously that tickets for the 2020/21 Leinster Rugby season would go on sale for current Season Ticket Holders tomorrow morning, March 24th.

Unfortunately that will not now be the case.

Given the uncertainty regarding the Guinness PRO14 and European Champions Cup games this season as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak and indeed the financial hardship that many in our communities are facing currently, Leinster Rugby will await further clarity from the Irish Government and from relevant stakeholders before communicating new timings for the sale of Season Tickets for 2020/21 and indeed possible methods of helping current Season Ticket Holders retain their seats.

Please also note that the offices of the Leinster Rugby Branch in UCD will be closed from today, March 23rd, until further notice.

We would like to thank all of our supporters for your patience at this time, and we hope to be in a position to confirm a new schedule for the renewal of Season Tickets as soon as is possible and as always, that news will be communicated by email.

In the mean-time, we would ask all of our Season Ticket Holders, to continue to follow HSE advice and to wash your hands regularly and to engage in social distancing at all times.

Stay safe and thank you again for your support of Leinster Rugby.

Kind Regards,
    Leinster Rugby Ticket Office

Newstalk just tweeted that the Champions Cup final in Marseille was cancelled, but other parts of the article said the senior and final were postponed (which is what they said last week).

Now deleted....mmmmmm

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Newstalk just tweeted that the Champions Cup final in Marseille was cancelled, but other parts of the article said the senior and final were postponed (which is what they said last week).

Now deleted....mmmmmm

It's going to be cancelled.

Anything below test rugby will be written off IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Now deleted....mmmmmm

If they cant play the qtr's I dont know how they can play the final

Just award to Leinster now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

awec wrote: »
    It's going to be cancelled.

Anything below test rugby will be written off IMO.

Yeah it’s not like soccer where games can be banged in every 3 days there just won’t physically be enough time. At this stage I’d say we’re done until next season. They might try to start a week or two earlier to give space for this years 6N

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Undefeated season? :pac:

Now deleted....mmmmmm

Article reads

The EPCR has confirmed that this season's Heineken Champions Cup final and semi-finals have all been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

European rugby's showpiece was due to be held at the Stade de Marseille on May 23, with the semi-finals being played the first weekend in May.

The Champions Cup and Challenge Cup seasons had already been put on ice by the EPCR indefinitely.

However, a conference call was held on Monday where the postponements were confirmed adding they're "abiding by the official directives and recommendations of the relevant authorities in its territories to restrict the COVID-19 pandemic."

Leinster and Ulster were both due in quarter-final action in April against Saracens and Toulouse respectively, but with the competitions shelved it's unclear if those ties will ever be played.

The EPCR says it remains committed to completing the 2019/20 season, adding that it's, "working with the leagues and unions to restructure a conclusion to its season as part of a wider rescheduling of the remainder of the season in Europe, with all contingencies underpinned by the requirement to protect the health and welfare of players, club staff, match officials, supporters and the wider rugby community."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Got an email saying tickets will be valid for rearranged date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Got an email saying tickets will be valid for rearranged date.

Yep, you can’t get a refund until they cancel it. Can’t see them ever playing it.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Yep, you can’t get a refund until they cancel it. Can’t see them ever playing it.

I'm pretty sure you can get a refund for a rescheduled event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'm pretty sure you can get a refund for a rescheduled event

Sorry you’re completely right, I just meant in this case they seem to be prolonging the inevitable.

Sorry you’re completely right, I just meant in this case they seem to be prolonging the inevitable.

Yeah, I'm resigned to the fact that rugby for 19/20 is finished.

Still... Undefeated season and all that... Every cloud ;)

They highlighted that their ticket office is understaffed and are certainly asking people to hold out asking for refunds but you're fully entitled to one now if you wanted. Asking people to wait is fair enough but if someone is desperate, they don't need to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know it’s not helpful if your stuck for cash as some may well be but I’d be giving a few organisations the benefit of time at the moment as this is such a strange time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hard to tell, most second rows don't mature till later in career. With Ryan and Itjoe bucking the thread then everyone expects the same from all players.

I would give the lad a chance. Yes he was MoM v Glasgow but they where poor on the night. Let him get a few games in Europe and then see how he gets on.

Its not like he has a poor game he should be dropped, I think players should be given a chance, if they step up and it doesnt go to plan, then keep going and hopefully have a long career. I remember in 2011 and around that everyone said Toner would never make it.

Get a few games in Europe when, though? Barring injury, it's unlikely to be next season if Fardy is still around.

It's interesting to remember how James Ryan broke through. He was starting in the 2018 6N, but only a few months earlier, he had to rely on Fardy pulling out to get his first start in Europe against Montpellier. Originally, as I recall, it was Fardy and Toner down to start that game, with Molony benching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement